600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

My entry into the 800 miles club:

attachicon.gif800 miles.jpg

802.1 Miles (542.0EV) on 12.96 Gallons for 61.8 MPG

You can read about my adventure here:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4279-halfway-to-800/

:congrats:  Post #1 updated. Welcome to the 800 bar where the caviar & champagne is flowing with our latest achievement.... :)

ps watch the tab (if I were u :victory: )

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Good luck MomsHugs, on my last fill up afterwards thought I had a good run going with over 100 miles before the first quarter tank was spent.  But not I'm not so sure it is going to be much of a tank since I'm creeping down towards a half and haven't seen good numbers so I'm wasting the tank I'm afraid.  After resetting my fuel management at first I saw great numbers in the 60's and 50's.  But with each start from a stop the numbers quickly fell away to as low as 40.0 only rise up again to 43's.  Both has since fallen off again.  This has been the story of my life.  Maxus just doesn't hang on to the numbers and I don't know what I'm doing wrong or can improve upon?  Very frustrating.  Most of my daily driving in around town and on flat roads within the city.  One thing which is eating away at my mileage is my constant need for AC running in the Auto setting at 69-70degrees.  I'm hot by nature and have to run the AC most of the time, plus the last couple days we have been hovering in the high 80's to near 100.  Guess I'll just never figure out this 700+ tank game??? 

Good luck MomsHugs, on my last fill up afterwards thought I had a good run going with over 100 miles before the first quarter tank was spent.  But not I'm not so sure it is going to be much of a tank since I'm creeping down towards a half and haven't seen good numbers so I'm wasting the tank I'm afraid.  After resetting my fuel management at first I saw great numbers in the 60's and 50's.  But with each start from a stop the numbers quickly fell away to as low as 40.0 only rise up again to 43's.  Both has since fallen off again.  This has been the story of my life.  Maxus just doesn't hang on to the numbers and I don't know what I'm doing wrong or can improve upon?  Very frustrating.  Most of my daily driving in around town and on flat roads within the city.  One thing which is eating away at my mileage is my constant need for AC running in the Auto setting at 69-70degrees.  I'm hot by nature and have to run the AC most of the time, plus the last couple days we have been hovering in the high 80's to near 100.  Guess I'll just never figure out this 700+ tank game??? 

AC will kill your MPG...but its better to enjoy the car than to sweat it, imho. But we are different people. I think you jus need some Jus-A-CMax driving lesson. Route selection is also critical in 2 ways: lights and traffic. Both are MPG killers. As well, pressure from back traffic will lead to a lead foot. So many factors...but it is a FUN game.

As I told my friend who teaches people how to drive the SCCA cars - you can drive fast but can you max your MPG?

Brother Mike ~ Me, too... hot by nature & suffered heat exhaustion playing tennis & golf in my younger years! Temps/humidity here in the SE = 100 heat index = constant A/C ~ 70 for Silki & I to be comfortable in the car.

Brother Jus ~ Experienced that kind of pressure driving to dealership during noon hour & then license tag office at 4:30pm.  Both bad traffic times you working stiffs deal with daily. I tried to maintain high MPG using your tips/tricks, but it was a challenge! Especially surrounded by BIG pickups & SUVs leaving work, in a big hurry to get somewhere else.

One thing which is eating away at my mileage is my constant need for AC running in the Auto setting at 69-70degrees.  I'm hot by nature and have to run the AC most of the time, plus the last couple days we have been hovering in the high 80's to near 100. 

No Auto. Always set temperature manually, and turn on recirculate. Second, try to use fan speed more (5 bars or so) and lower temperature less (I go with 73-75F). Give whatever is the highest temperature that you can comfortably stand with a higher fan speed.

You can also lower the temperature and turn on a high fan speed during the first ICE burn of the day, since ICE will already be running long enough to warm up and raise SOC. Once the cabin is cooled enough, raise the temperature to the highest that is comfortable for you.

If you haven't already tinted your windows, doing so will also help.

I spend six months a year driving in 90F+ conditions. Even though I keep my home at 68F, I have slowly increased the temperature in my C-MAX, and I have actually gotten used to it enough that I can still be comfortable at 73-74F with fan speed at 3-5 bars, most of the time.

Oh, and by the way, I managed a 700+ tank with these settings for most of the tank. It can be done.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

My 16 year old son made me do it!

I was in the midst of a run that I believe would have put me into the 700 club. My son just started driving and I let him drive this AM on a chore trip. When the gauge hit yellow he got on me about how irresponsible I would be if we ran out of gas. Imagine that. HIM telling ME I would be irresponsible! So he shamed me into stopping before I was ready.

The pic below shows where I was at. The MTE was showing  58 and that I had used just 11.78 gallons. A refill confirmed what I thought and that was actual fuel used was 12.43. That still left me with just over a gallon left. The computed MPG after fill up was 51.58 MPG calculated. It would have been right on the edge so I planned to carry a spare gallon with me.

Oh well............maybe next time. At least he showed me a very good sense or responsibility!

post-2283-0-91935600-1410649599_thumb.jpg

post-2283-0-99920400-1410649627_thumb.jpg

Brother Mike ~ Me, too... hot by nature & suffered heat exhaustion playing tennis & golf in my younger years! Temps/humidity here in the SE = 100 heat index = constant A/C ~ 70 for Silki & I to be comfortable in the car.

Brother Jus ~ Experienced that kind of pressure driving to dealership during noon hour & then license tag office at 4:30pm.  Both bad traffic times you working stiffs deal with daily. I tried to maintain high MPG using your tips/tricks, but it was a challenge! Especially surrounded by BIG pickups & SUVs leaving work, in a big hurry to get somewhere else.

Adapt. Even if you start the car in EV from 0 to 10 and then kick in ICE, that would save you gas. Also, big SUVs make wonderful wind breakers, go with the flow and kick in JUS enuf EV to maintain the speed and stay behind them at a safe distance. Since the gas prices here have dropped down to $3.90 theres been a TON of traffic and SUVs on the roads now, hooning away...so might as well make use of these gas pigs. Sometimes, I accelerate 3 or 4 bars especially on high SOC, rather than waste more gas trying to recharge...(this is not in my hints yet) - reason being the car will give you more energy from the batts to help accelerate and cutting down the gas. Once you're at speed, glide for a wee bit and kick in the EV...don't worry if you don't get it and its a challenge. I've had my car since Dec 2012, it jus takes time....you're good if you hang around enuf here :)

My 16 year old son made me do it!

I was in the midst of a run that I believe would have put me into the 700 club. My son just started driving and I let him drive this AM on a chore trip. When the gauge hit yellow he got on me about how irresponsible I would be if we ran out of gas. Imagine that. HIM telling ME I would be irresponsible! So he shamed me into stopping before I was ready.

The pic below shows where I was at. The MTE was showing  58 and that I had used just 11.78 gallons. A refill confirmed what I thought and that was actual fuel used was 12.43. That still left me with just over a gallon left. The computed MPG after fill up was 51.58 MPG calculated. It would have been right on the edge so I planned to carry a spare gallon with me.

Oh well............maybe next time. At least he showed me a very good sense or responsibility!

:congrats:  you're up a few seats. :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Interesting stats from Post #1:

66 members as of 9/29/2014

64 members have clocked up 40,721.9 Total Odo miles, of which 24,067.2 are EV miles, 59.1% EV (Pretty damn good)

62 members reported their Trip Computer gas used, 782.19 gallons.

62 members have an average of 51.22 MPG according to their CMax.

You need a minimum of 45.9 MPG to be in the 600+ CMax club.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax