600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

My first 600+ mile tank.  I've only run the Cmax down this low one other time, but that was March 2013 when I only had ~3000 miles on it, and for that tank, I managed only 499 miles.  I'm pretty sure I could have gone at least another 30-40 miles but my wife, who commutes with me daily, had been bugging me to refuel for the last 2 days.  We hit 600 miles ~5 miles from home, with the last 5 miles thru "mountains," so I acquiesced, and got gas.

All of my fill ups are on Fuelly, with the exception of one which I can't find, and a couple that were lumped together when we took a road trip with friends down to SoCal.

Our commute is 10 miles each way, with 50% freeway, 50% city driving, but much of the freeway driving is in commute conditions.  For reference, it takes us 35 minutes to drive the 10 miles daily.  Aside from this commute, for which I've had many trips of 60+ mpg, there was one long freeway trip early in the tank of 80 miles round trip.  Before the trip, average MPG for the tank was 55.  After the trip, average MPG dipped to 38.  Today, we drove ~60 miles, and for these 60 miles, I was able to bring the average MPG from 47.x to 49.1, with several legs of > 70mpg.

No mods to the car except for running tire pressure at 45psi, all recalls done except for the "door chime when ignition is on."

I also attribute much of this tank's increase in fuel efficiency to reading about the "2 bar vs 1 bar vs 1.5 or 1.75 bar burns," the "EV to 15mph followed by a 1.5bar burn to match speed of traffic, etc.

Per the trip computer:

27:41:10

600.4mi

376.7EV

49.1MPG

12.22gal

post-217-0-29623400-1407648642_thumb.jpg

Edited by From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

Very nice C-Maxing ! Congratz, glad you hung in there for the milestone. :rockon: Yes just a few little adjustments, and 40+, 43+, 45+, MPGs are in the bag - not hard. For us it is mostly freeway ECO cruising, behaving in the city, and thrashing it on freeway on ramps.  "Common sense" driving as Kelleytoons appropriately calls it. (except perhaps for the extra juice on the on ramps that is)

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thank for the cheering on, Sea-MaxSea!

Pretty sure your predictions are gonna come true too. I'm at 640 miles with the little "Miles To Empty" gauge saying 101 miles. Even a Podunk cowboy like me can do that math. :)

So in a couple of days I'll be able to confirm.

Won't repeat what my driving style is, since I reported that earlier, but the difference in this tank from the last was simply making sure I filled it up at the pump, AND, actually setting the trip meter immediately. (instead of deciding to a couple of trips later) 

Yep, this car is simply amazing. I can now drive the thing properly second nature. And my daily ~50 miles of driving are completely repeatable. So for me, this will become an honest to goodness 51-56 mpg transport. Still can't get my head around that.

I just finished off my second 600+ tank.  The first was back in May, and I attached the pic in that post, but I'll do it here as well.

1st 600 tank

That was approx May 20th.  

Today I just set a new personal best, and my wife seems to have started trying to hypermile a bit more.  I mentioned this in the high mpg thread, but she had it last night and maintained the mileage at 49.6 at the time for about a 15 mile trip.  I'm glad I warned her about the low mileage remaining, but not to worry due to the size of the tank.  It got home with 5 miles left.  I dropped her off at work on the way to leaving my hometown of Montrose (where there are 4 Cmaxes, not bad for a small town of about 1500) to the church where I'm music director in Tunkhannock (23.2 miles one way).  I normally get in the low 60's on the way down, and the low 40's coming back.  Today I hit 89.2 (I didn't think to snap a pic of it) on the way down, due to being able to slow up enough and stay in EV mode on some climbs that normally burn gas due to being stuck behind water trucks.  I made the full round trip with room to spare, though I'll confess to having about a 1/2 gallon of gas in a small gas can just in case (I was going to top it off for the lawnmower when I filled up to take full advantage of the gas discount I'd earned from groceries).  Over the course of this tank, a trip to Vestal, NY was only 55 mpg instead of my typical 62-66 due to pushing the speed a bit so my wife could make an appointment after getting out of work late.

I surprised myself on a couple trips, getting much better than I'd expected.  Thanks to Jus-a-Cmax for his tips.  I recently read the one about using some battery to accelerate faster if you have a high battery SOC to burn less gas, and I think that made the difference.  The car is a stock 2013 SE.  Fuel was 87 octane, 10% ethanol.

August 11 2014 tank

Since it started warming up in PA in April, I reset one of the trip mileages, and that's at 44.7 over 8400+ miles.  Lifetime is at 41.1 (winter killed me here, it was the worst yet, 14 snow days from teaching!  The mileage bottomed out at approx 37.2).  My work drive is approx. 2 miles one way, which I'm sure doesn't help in the winter since the engine doesn't warm up.

I guess this makes my C-max a lemon too, lol,
Edited by TheXym

TheXym "

Since it started warming up in PA in April, I reset one of the trip mileages, and that's at 44.7 over 8400+ miles.  Lifetime is at 41.1 (winter killed me here, it was the worst yet, 14 snow days from teaching!  The mileage bottomed out at approx 37.2).  My work drive is approx. 2 miles one way, which I'm sure doesn't help in the winter since the engine doesn't warm up."

Great Job! :happy feet:    Grill Covers, Oil Pan and Block Heaters help a lot during the Winter. :)

Paul

I will agree with Paul, those grill covers will GENERALLY help in the freezing cold but jus one thing, don't go climbing LONG grades (3 miles+ 45* grades at 65mph). Even if the ambient the temp is a lowly 29F or cooler, it will cause the overheat engine warning to come on. I've done it, so jus be cautious and judicous with its use (I use the main grill cover only and it seems to be a nice balance eventhough it does not get freezing cold here).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ok folks...Post #1 UPDATED :)

So lets welcome the following new members to the CMax 600+ Club:

TheXym
Wnuk
snakebitten
From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

Enjoy your drinks in bar folks.

Congratulations to :dance: rjdeeme29 :dance:  for being KING of HILL in the 600 Mile Bar :congrats:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

ps all you new members, you'll NEVER get a job at Consumer Reports for your pathetic driving above the :worship:  Consumer Report CMax Rated :baby: 38MPG.

Shame!

:victory:

I took my Energi on a camping trip fully loaded with gear, including roof rack/basket filled with stuff, and even with 70% highway driving, I still managed 38 MPG in hybrid mode. And that's with an Energi, which is rated a few MPG less than the hybrid. I don't get it either. :headscratch:

THANKS Just A Cmax!

However, it is just my (or yours) luck that I had to stop and get gas\coffee this morning.

What can I say? :)

cmax700.png?psid=1

No worries, post it here if you have improved, that's what its all about. I'll update it.

@vmmvmmm - Looking SWEET, :shift:  Jus Do It  :headspin: 

And oh - everyone, please PM Adair, you local & very friendly Moderator to return soon and carry on the updates  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I took my Energi on a camping trip fully loaded with gear, including roof rack/basket filled with stuff, and even with 70% highway driving, I still managed 38 MPG in hybrid mode. And that's with an Energi, which is rated a few MPG less than the hybrid. I don't get it either. :headscratch:

Exactly. Thanks for making my point again. Plus your NRG is 300lbs more heavier for the bigger battery on top of the load & different gear ratios and throw in a roof rack.

I truly question how their  :airquote: professional or  :airquote: staff or  :airquote: whatever drivers got that figure on what I can see is a FLAT, circuit with NOTHING in the car. Of course there MAY be extenuating circumstance to justify and backup their 38 MPG like perhaps the driver wore lead shoes & socks or was a recanting dropout from the Biggest Loser show...oh, I get it  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hope I don't overstate the case here with respect to gas consumption (and in all due respect), but I think it is accurate and safe to say that CR drivers suck, gas that is.

AND C-MAX 600 Clubbers :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: !  and why - because they care to drive deliberately and take advantage of the built in efficiency available to them in the C-Max - IT IS EASY folks !!!                       and it is not about the 600 mile tank so much as getting the 41+, 43+, 45+, 47+, 49+ mpg's available in every day driving, 3 or 4 seasons of the year - your choice.   (my sympathies to the frigid climes over long winters)

No it does not require 'trickery', "sweaty brows", 'pokey driving', or "pancake" roads, as has been suggested - just knowing what makes sense for the road ahead and using gas effectively.  Our 45+ mpgs involve about 70% freeway (albeit much of that urban freeway) and mostly hilly terrain (no mods).  C-Max loves hills and valleys - and loves the 8 second fang on to the freeway :superhero: !!!

Just my 2 cents,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Well said Nick. :)

An accurate 2cents, in my opinion.

I do admit that my daily commute might be quite different than some, but my 56.mpg does NOT require me to drive sloooooow or to aggravate anyone else on the road.

(disclosure: there are some folks that during rush hour, are aggravated with EVERY car on the road in front of them. I am not counting those poor stressed out souls)

Instead, it is just "practicing" the techniques that you fine folks have documented here until it now has become quite natural.

I suspect that now that I have broken the 700 mile club, I might just dial back my attention to the whole thing a bit, and see where it takes me. If I had to guess, I will never drop below the 50's. My repeatable commute just won't require it.

I think I owe Ford at least $475.00

If not more.