Puddle Light upgraded to LED

Doesn't have to do with SE vs. SEL, it's the package level.  Very base SE with no package level upgrades won't have it.  SE with equipment group 201A will.

So I thought this was a cool upgrade and ordered the led bulbs for the puddle lights, rear cargo area and rear plate.  After replacing the rear plate and cargo area lights I went to do the puddle lights and had a Homer Simpson moment when I realized there are no puddle lights on the SE model!  I guess that option only comes on the SEL.

One other warning. When I removed the factory rear plate bulb (a 5 watt bulb)

How did you get these lights out and open? I tried carefully prying one from the short ends and it came out a little and loose but I could not see how to get it further out or remove the clear cover. Unfortunately now it won't fit tightly back in, so a tab or something may have broken but that's a different problem.

How did you get these lights out and open? I tried carefully prying one from the short ends and it came out a little and loose but I could not see how to get it further out or remove the clear cover. Unfortunately now it won't fit tightly back in, so a tab or something may have broken but that's a different problem.

it's a weird design, it's not your typical way to get it out - iirc you need a longer screwdriver type blade and push on the side and it pops out easily.

Finally! Success in removing the license light sockets and replacing the 19th century bulbs with 21st century. I don't know why I had so much trouble - tried at least five times - I think having the first one get hung up freaked me out. Being an ex-hippie I'm allowed to freak out at 65!

So here's some pictures showing the latch, and how to open it using a small long screwdriver. Also seen is the discoloration from the heated wire bulb, and the final results.

Thanks for all the help. The manual has a brief section on how to do this with diagram but I would rate it a 2 on a 1-10 scale for being useful. YMMV.

post-629-0-95719100-1375469014_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-90951800-1375468953_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-43918500-1375468954_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-92145800-1375468954_thumb.jpgpost-629-0-56059700-1375468956_thumb.jpg

Finally! Success in removing the license light sockets and replacing the 19th century bulbs with 21st century. I don't know why I had so much trouble - tried at least five times - I think having the first one get hung up freaked me out. Being an ex-hippie I'm allowed to freak out at 65!

So here's some pictures showing the latch, and how to open it using a small long screwdriver. Also seen is the discoloration from the heated wire bulb, and the final results.

Thanks for all the help. The manual has a brief section on how to do this with diagram but I would rate it a 2 on a 1-10 scale for being useful. YMMV.

Well done.

attachicon.gifLicense Light 1.JPGattachicon.gifLicense Light 3.JPGattachicon.gifLicense Light 4.JPGattachicon.gifLicense Light 5.JPGattachicon.gifLicense Light 6.JPG

Details like this help a lot.  Thanks!  :)

Challenge?  Lots of good info here.  Can someone create a little spread sheet showing all of these 'mods' and maybe start a thread in the 'lights' header (or 'mods' header?) with it.  Too much good info to be lost in 'general discussion' here.  Say, light category, existing part, existing wattage, option 1 light & wattage, option 2 light & wattage........................  I may, if no one jumps in, but won't have time very soon, and I don't have a great handle on this.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

i'm looking to upgrade my headlamps to a brighter and bluer bulb...iirc one side is a major PITA to remove.

i know there's retrofit aftermarket HID's, but from what i read since ours isn't projector headlights it will look like crap...and surprise why Ford didn't do that, but instead have those stupid 7 color selectable mood lighting.  :confused:

• 1 month later...

Has anyone replaced the footwell bulbs? Looking at the manual, it says dealer install but looking at them compared to the trunk and license plate bulbs, they look the same W5W. I know they are already LED, but since I didn't get the SEL or optional ambient lights, it would be nice to throw in some blue LEDs, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00813YLZS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2NVTMB910FXUT

Has anyone replaced the footwell bulbs? Looking at the manual, it says dealer install but looking at them compared to the trunk and license plate bulbs, they look the same W5W. I know they are already LED, but since I didn't get the SEL or optional ambient lights, it would be nice to throw in some blue LEDs, like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00813YLZS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2NVTMB910FXUT

certainly doesn't hurt to give it a try?

Update on the footwell bulbs. They're just the usual incandescent W5Ws found in the license plate lights, not LED per the manual. My guess is they're talking about the overheads. Anyway, access was ok and the blue LEDs I ordered in my previous post look good and are a far better quality than those ones on Amazon for the license plate. I'll post a pic later when it's dark. Not quite the stock ambient lights, but a relatively simple change for us SE owners and the blue looks good.

I just upgraded my puddle lamps and lic. plate lamps with LED's.  I noticed they stay on very dim for awhile after

the door(s) are closed. The puddle lamps turn off sooner than the lic. plate lamps.  Must be the diode keeping

the voltage from draining off ??? They eventually turn completely off :waiting:

Edited by drdiesel1

I just upgraded my puddle lamps and lic. plate lamps with LED's.  I noticed they stay on very dim for awhile after

the door(s) are closed. The puddle lamps turn off sooner than the lic. plate lamps.  Must be the diode keeping

the voltage from draining off ??? They eventually turn completely off :waiting:

yeah that seems to be a common thing with other cars too, i'm not sure why it does that exactly?