What car did you own as a teenager?

Laurel

I graduated from high school in 1968.  For graduation, my dad gave me a 1960'ish Nash Rambler that was painted black. I put huge flower decals on my beautiful car and named her Flower Pot.  He paid $25 for it, and gave me $50 on top of getting the car.  I hit the road from Billings, Montana with my $50 and went to Alberta to enroll in nursing school. (Dad was American and Mom was Canadian).  Got to my destination with $2 left as Flower Pot wouldn't start a few times enroute.  I loved that car!

After 3 or 4 years of only owning motorcycles, I got my first car when I was in college. I bought an early '70s marina blue Volkswagen Super Beetle off of my future brother-in-law for $750. I traded it in a few years later for $1750. It was the only time I ever made money on a vehicle transaction!

My first car was a used 65 off white Ford Mustang.  I loved the car until I got home and it wouldn't start.   :sad:  Since I wasn't mechanical like my brothers my father took me back to the dealership and exchanged the car for a green 66 convertible Camero.  I had fun driving it for a couple years.

Edited by C-Maxgo

My first car was a gorgeous blue 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis 2-door coupe, fully loaded. She was a mechanical nightmare, but she rode like a dream, and she represented FREEDOM! She got maybe 12mpg, but in 1998 regular was $0.98 a gallon, so even on my teenage salary I didn't mind.

When she finally died, I got a 1992 Toyota Camry, base model, no power anything. A nice reliable transportation appliance, but about as much fun to drive as you would expect.

I learn to drive on my Dad's daily driver, a 1964 Ford Falcon with a 170 in3 inline six and a 2speed automatic - I could walk faster. I got my first car while in college a 1972 Mercury Comet GT - Bright Red with black interior. Loved that car, found it on the internet several years ago for sale. It was a rust bucket so I passed on buying it. Now I settle for my 2010 Mustang GT and 2013 F150 Platinum. The C-Max is for my wife and the family outings. Driving it drives my 18 year old crazy. He says at his age he counts horsepower and at my age I count braking percentage.

I learned to drive on a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500.  Have since learned this may be considered a muscle car of sorts.  It was automatic with the gear shift on the floor not on the steering wheel.  My mom gave me the car in 1975 for me to have at college and I had it for a few more years.  Moved with my husband from Florida to Indiana and that rear wheel drive was horrible in the Indiana snow.  Traded it in for $25.00 on a Chevette. 

1970 Chevy C/10 Pickup base model:  250 cu in 6 cylinder, three on the tree, heater, and a/m radio, vinyl bench seat= chick magnet (heavy sarcasm)    I had been driving on the farm by 12 and local rural roads at 14 so it wasn't a big deal when I turned 16.   I drove it through high school and upgraded the a/m radio to an 8-track with above dash mounted speakers from radio shack.   :rockon:

Not my actual car but the Year, Model, wheels and even the right state plate...

2fdb5aa6-3824-4f1c-bc61-bd47c619aecb-lg.

She was my baby...1997 Ford Falcon XR-6, 0-60 in 6.5 secs, stick shift straight 6. They also made a V8 but the straight 6s were way faster & lighter too but lacked the V8 grunt.

And :flirt:  she was mine...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I think I may be a bit older than many of you.....

My first car was 16 years old when I got to drive it.  a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak 6!  It was a rust bucket, the floor had pot metal covering the rust holes, so you could not step in too hard.  Growing up in the upper midwest, the car always started and taught me a lot as a young driver.  It was a 3 speed manual transmission, and before turn signals were mandatory ( it did not have them).  I had to learn to use hand signals for turns, steer, shift, etc. all at the same time....didn't have enough hands!

Here is a picture, though this one is restored, ours had not much gloss left to the paint when I drove it.  Also, did not have the totally cool light up Indian Head in the center of the hood, that was only on the 8 cylinder versions I think.  Nice remembering.....

post-356-0-27473100-1373552581_thumb.jpg

I think I may be a bit older than many of you.....

My first car was 16 years old when I got to drive it.  a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak 6!  It was a rust bucket, the floor had pot metal covering the rust holes, so you could not step in too hard.  Growing up in the upper midwest, the car always started and taught me a lot as a young driver.  It was a 3 speed manual transmission, and before turn signals were mandatory ( it did not have them).  I had to learn to use hand signals for turns, steer, shift, etc. all at the same time....didn't have enough hands!

Here is a picture, though this one is restored, ours had not much gloss left to the paint when I drove it.  Also, did not have the totally cool light up Indian Head in the center of the hood, that was only on the 8 cylinder versions I think.  Nice remembering.....

My Dodge Coronet had rust holes too on the passenger side..you could look under the floor mat and see the pavement on the road.  My mom said she put the hole there by putting on the brakes a lot when I was driving at 16.  Though they probably really came from driving on the beach.  I used to be a Florida girl.

My dad was a used cars salesman so I had a number of cars to drive. However, my true "first car" was a 1966 Mustang. It had a 289HP engine, 4 barrel carberator, manual four speed transfermission.....I'm surprised I never got a ticket.

Sadly, starting it during the cold Vermont winters was difficult. After two such winters I traded it.

Still would like to restore one.