Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

I got my upgrade yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that my EV+ for home is gone. The second was when I took it out on the highway I was able to achieve electric only operation for brief periods at speeds above 65mph. I guess that means the upgrade was successful.

I may be imagining, but there are other things I've noticed:

The display that shows the EV capacity blue outline with the kW display (Empower) seems to be indicating more EV capacity than before. Maybe the software now allows the HV battery to discharge a little more rapidly than before?

For some reason, my braking scores are a few percent better than before. It's as if the regeneration has been dialed up a bit. Maybe the software is allowing the HV battery to charge a little more rapidly than before?

I did a trip out into the country to pick up some fresh sweet corn (Yes!) and where I would expect to see MPGs in the mid-40s because of the 60-65mph speed and the use of the AC, I got over 50MPG for both legs of the trip. I ain't complainin'.

Edited by StoBro2

I've worried about Energi drivers and us.

We live at the top of a hill, if I turn left out of our neighborhood it's still downhill.

I can be doing 50 mph when the ICE first starts.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS :nonono: !      And force the ICE to start at ASAP.

I was taught that the first few seconds a gas engine runs is where ALL the wear is.

I can't even imagine how much worse it would be if the motor starts for the first time in the morning @ at 50+ MPH, I can see these things wearing out, using oil etc. in a few years.

Thoughts...

The big difference I see is that when you start your ICE-only vehicle, the ICE is the only thing powering the vehicle. When it comes on on a hybrid, it can share the load. 

Had mine updated yesterday.  Hmmm...I had 45.5 mpgs for the tank when I went in.  And the first thing I noticed is that my mileage started dropping...FAST!  I really want to get at least one 45 mpg tank, so I'm trying to baby it until I can fill it up. 

I noticed that driving one direction to the store I got 38 mpg.  Driving home I got 51.  And the car feels completely different.  My EV + was gone (no big deal) and the Eco cruise was off, had to turn that back on.

So I took my car out for a nice almost 30 mile round trip tonight to pick up my girlfriend's car that was at the mechanic, the mechanic is less than a mile from my parents house and I know the route extremely well.  On the way it's about 5 miles of 40 mph roads and 10 miles of a 50 mph highway with lots of hills.  On the way back I took a similar, but different route of about 7 miles of 40 mph roads and 8 miles of a 50 mph highway that is much less hilly.  My speeds were typically 5 mph faster than the speed limit on the roads and 5-10 mph faster on the highways and I had the air on for maybe half the trip as it is cool here but very muggy.

I haven't seen anyone else say they noticed a difference in the car, but I honestly feel a little bit thrown by the changes.  Here is what I've noticed so far:

- the car seems determined to keep the battery state of charge higher, I actually filled the battery a couple of times tonight on my way to the mechanic and I've never done that before despite travelling the same roads many times.

- when I was able to drain the battery on my way home the threshold came down faster than before, a couple of times I was running on the ICE and I didn't even realize it.  I got really good at getting extra mpg with a low battery before the update, but the car does not let me get the battery nearly as low as I could before.

- the car was much more aggressive with the EV assisting the ICE in acceleration and hills, but this may just be because the state of charge is consistently higher.

- the ICE sounds louder at 2 bars, I have no idea why, but I swear it is.

- acceleration a couple pixels over 2 bars is hurting my 'score' for the acceleration coach, it drags me down well into the orange when before I was able to stay in the blue up to about 2 and a half bars.  I'm pretty sure they are scoring this different now.

I honestly felt terrible about the trip, I even somewhat gave up on getting good mileage on the way back and drove a little faster than I would have otherwise.  When I got home I was going to be happy if I got 45 for the trip with the updates, which I laughed off because I thought there was no way I was going to get that high with how I was driving.

I don't get it, but I'm not going to complain!  I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow!!!

Edit:  My previous norms for mileage to and from my destination are 50 mpg to and 45 mpg from, if I had done a full round trip I'm guessing it would have probably come in right around the 47 mpg rating and that's with being 'good'.

I just got the update yesterday and decided to read all the posts in this thread.  I have to say, I noticed the same thing about the car seeming to be more aggressive about keeping the battery charged.  I was thinking that they might have adjusted the programming to charge the battery more aggressively. The more I think on it, the more this makes sense. We all know that when the ICE is running and charging the battery, we get poor FE, But how much worse would the FE be if they added 10 or 15 or even 20% to charging?  I bet the FE hit is not linear.  So a 15% increase in charging amps might only cost 5% in FE and if your only getting 20 MPG while charging, this is only a 1 MPG loss for that extra 15% speed in charging.  

Just a thought. 

Interesting thought, I didn't think about that.  Having the engine more aggressively charging the battery would explain why the engine sounds louder at 2 bars when charging the battery and why it hurts my 'score' on the coach.

Edited by SnitGTS

During my current trip from Western NC up I 81 to NJ I previously reported a disappointing 42 mpg, a repeat of the same average I got a couple of months ago before the update. But yesterday we drove 350 miles from NJ to Hampton VA in stop and go traffic along the eastern shore of the Delmarva peninsula we got 47.5. We arrived here with 545 miles on the gas tank stats and about 2/3 of a gallon left. I'm pleased with that. Tomorrow it's 700 miles mostly along interstates; so we'll see what happens.

Had mine updated yesterday.  Hmmm...I had 45.5 mpgs for the tank when I went in.  And the first thing I noticed is that my mileage started dropping...FAST!  I really want to get at least one 45 mpg tank, so I'm trying to baby it until I can fill it up. 

I noticed that driving one direction to the store I got 38 mpg.  Driving home I got 51.  And the car feels completely different.  My EV + was gone (no big deal) and the Eco cruise was off, had to turn that back on.

Yes! When I had the *do-over*, my mileage dropped on the way home Friday and during my drives yesterday. I feel like I'm having to learn to drive it all over again....really drives different. EV+ locations were gone. I'll have to check Eco cruise

Anyone know the cause of all these update failures?

It looks like the most likely cause of failures is having the wrong version of IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) installed on their laptop computer or the wrong vehicle communication module (VCM).

I had to take mine in the second time because the first attempt was not successful.

I printed and showed them following message issued 8/5/13 on OASIS the second time I took it in:

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

The first attempt at 13B07 failed for me. I printed out the message recommended earlier in this thread and provided that to the tech. He made sure he had the correct version of the software installed and it worked fine the second time. 

Though it's challenging to find a road in Minnesota that isn't under some sort of construction I was able to get above 65 MPH on the ride after the update.  EV did kick in above 65 MPH so I know the fix took.  I got 48.1 MPG on the ride home from the car dealership.

Weather has been ideal here so I've been getting EPA estimates - no air conditioning. I am very curious how the update helps when cold weather hits.

I had my third dead battery today.  The other two were in March.  I had TSB 13-5-1 installed the first week in May.  That seemed to fix the problem.  I had the 13B07 upgrade installed on 8/1--now, the dead battery problem has reemerged.  This has left me wondering if the 13B07 upgrade is somehow responsible for the reemergence of the battery problem.  This is terribly frustrating.

I had my third dead battery today.  The other two were in March.  I had TSB 13-5-1 installed the first week in May.  That seemed to fix the problem.  I had the 13B07 upgrade installed on 8/1--now, the dead battery problem has reemerged.  This has left me wondering if the 13B07 upgrade is somehow responsible for the reemergence of the battery problem.  This is terribly frustrating.

I hear yer. Thats jus plain crap BJB, sorry about it....I would hammer your SA and see what they say, its completely not acceptable.

Car and wife sat at the dealership all day today trying to get 13B07 to download.  It wouldn't, still won't.  Car is still there, hopefully we will get it back tomorrow. 

Make sure you print out this before taking it in, this may save you a few days and /or another trip.  

SSM 44124 - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07 Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration
Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 and either the VCM I or the VCM II. If the IDS software has been updated to R86.00, the user must update to R86.01 and use the VCM I. Do not use the VCM II and IDS R86.01 to perform FSA 13B07.

So far, absolutely no change on my mileage.  I was in EV this morning while driving 70 mph on the highway.  But my mileage hasn't improved.

I'm finally back up to where I was before the *do-over* but I still feel like it struggles to maintain EV. Haven't been on the highway yet. It's not my normal route until Saturdays. We'll see.

Good gawd....I am due for my update tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes. Hey, I should not fret..its my buddy SA Bill P & Galpin :)

Let me know how it goes at Galpin. I live up in Santa Clarita, but I bought the car down at Galpin and will bring it back there for at least the first few service visits. The Ford dealer up here does not give my any feeling of confidence. We bought a used car from them a few years back and they were awful. They also only had 9 C-Max's in stock when Galpin had over 100 at their storage lot. 

I have not scheduled anything yet, but I am closing in on the first scheduled service pretty quickly. I figured I will get a works service and the updates at about 5,000 miles.

Gary