What is your Lifetime Average MPG?

homestead

I was at 42.6MPG but driving around with Max AC on all day Saturday nudged it down to 42.5  :twister:  

I reset it when I did my first fill, but I didn't write down the mileage at the time - so it includes all post-Dealer mileage, and one full tank from before I started using Fuelly. (Also, I use the tripmeter's fuel used for Fuelly, although I note the actual fuel purchased in the notes). 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

At @ 3,200 miles, 48.4 MPG with 98 percent braking score.  I expect a drop with my upcoming road trip to the mountains of western North Carolina.

I use actual miles and gal. on Fuelly.   My odometer was off by .015% which makes a real difference. Plus Smart Gauge is rarely right on gals. also mileage goes down in winter but your temps don't as much as they do here.

I was at 42.6MPG but driving around with Max AC on all day Saturday nudged it down to 42.5  :twister:  

I reset it when I did my first fill, but I didn't write down the mileage at the time - so it includes all post-Dealer mileage, and one full tank from before I started using Fuelly. (Also, I use the tripmeter's fuel used for Fuelly, although I note the actual fuel purchased in the notes). 

Check your actual mi. with GPS  and I use actual gal on Fuelly.

Paul

47.0 - 47.2 per dash (less 180 dealer/get started miles), 45.7 fuelly/pump (actual ?), _______ GPS/pump (actual actual ?? ;)  ;)  ;) )  47.xxx on yesterdays 120 mile freeway jaunt (ECO cruise 60-67 mph).  Can't seem to get away from those nasty high numbers we are not supposed to get - :dance: .

Ready for the fall,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

38.1 - up from 38.0 - 3800 miles on the clock.

Today I drove to DE. I even saw a silver SE in Smyrna, DE. Was on the ferry (Cape May, NJ -> Lewes, DE). Today I avg'd 40.0 MPG. I do not like it at all. I was using ECO cruise on the flats in DE (Coastal Hwy SR-1) - @ ~60mph - the "needle" was stuck at 40.0 MPG.

I was speeding on I-95 on my way back home - maybe for 4-5 mins. Nothing illegal - around 75mph since I wanted to keep up with the pack. Then I saw an AVG decline to 39.5... In the garage @home I looked again - it was 40.0...

On my way down the shore I had a call from the regional service manager. She said Ford came up with A NUMBER of updates for my car. I have scheduled an appt for 9/12. I am looking forward to seeing 45-47 MPG. 

Edited by pjurek99

45.6 mpg with 3900 miles. Just the opposite in Michigan.  When the heat leaves us, it will d

r

o

p

.

I will have owned my C-Max 4 weeks as of this Thursday.  I've gone 1703 miles, about half of that on an 800+ mile road trip.  The rest of my driving has been about 1/3 highway, 1/3 interstate, and 1/3 stop-and-go city driving.  My mileage has steadily increased and today I crossed 45 mpg lifetime on the car's display.  Fuelly is a little lower but I'm not sure exactly how much was in the tank when I bought the car, and with only 4 fillups so far, that could make a significant difference.

Now we'll see what happens with the update.  I'm getting it in a few hours.  I filled the tank tonight and I'm curious, hopeful, and trying to keep my expectations pretty low.  I try to follow 3 rules when I'm driving: accelerate slowly to 10-15mph, then push a little harder to the speed limit; brake gently and go for 100% on the brake coach every time; and try not to go over 65mph.  Nothing fancy about hypermiling, although maybe I'm doing that anyway.  45mpg is a lot better than I expected when I bought this car, and if I can do just a little better with the update, I will be happy. If I can do that at 65-70mph, I will be ecstatic.

Up .1 to 39.2 this week.

Most of our summer driving is at or above 75mph with ac.

Disappointing that Ford will never get this cmax into the 40's at 75+mph.

Looking forward to some 45mpg tanks this fall/winter.

Disappointing that Ford will never get this cmax into the 47's.

NOT going to hypermile NOT going to change the way I drive NEVER had trouble meeting/beating EPA before!

Up .1 to 39.2 this week.

Most of our summer driving is at or above 75mph with ac.

Disappointing that Ford will never get this cmax into the 40's at 75+mph.

Looking forward to some 45mpg tanks this fall/winter.

Disappointing that Ford will never get this cmax into the 47's.

NOT going to hypermile NOT going to change the way I drive NEVER had trouble meeting/beating EPA before!

Disappointing that consumers don't have any clue about what speeds fuel economy is measured at. Disappointing that consumers don't realize hybrids' strength is in city driving. 

If I were doing 90% highway at 80MPH, I'd look for a car with a low coefficient of drag and small cross-section, not a tall MPV. 

The fact is, the C-Max is not a very good platform for a hybrid. Ford took an existing car (the C-Max has been sold in Europe for years) to use for the US hybrid platform. Contrast that to Toyota, who built an entire platform optimized for fuel economy. 

But in my opinion, the C-Max is a far better car - and although I like the hybrid stuff, the fuel savings on a Prius V (going by Fuelly, the V gets 7.5% better fuel economy) aren't worth it. The steering, the handling, the braking, the materials, the features, the spacial configuration - there's not a single thing there where I think the Prius surpasses the C-Max.  

And yes, I would expect the V to do much better at higher MPH. And I knew that before I bought the C-Max. The miracles of doing your homework… If that's the *only* thing you care about, you should have focused your research on that aspect. That's what test drives are for - and the instant fuel economy is right there on the instrument panel, on both vehicles. 

Very well stated Noah.  (...although, I do like the 'platform' / eurobox / hatchback package - spacious 'living room' on wheels, good music, conversation........ 'pass the poupon'.  Perhaps not the best aerodynamics, but definitely good enough, no, near perfect for us!)  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Noah made some great points...but I digress on the platform.

IMO and thought.....in terms of driving and stability, using a proven existing platform (Euro Focus/CMax) makes more sense vs designing a new platform for hybrid and forgetting that 80% of car driving is the driving itself than FE (although Prii owner would say 80% is FE and be damn with the handling). Having driven my CMax in a mix of > 50% freeway for a long time and > 50% city now for a long time, there is no doubt mind blowing MPGs are to be gotten from sticking to city. In a sense my new job allows me to drive either choice and I choose how much commute time I want to absorb for the FE....and my answer is...theres nothing like seeing high 70s and low 80s when I get to work and seeing low 60s for the whole day.

Someone here said that ICE High MPG is the key in the Prii for Freeway and Toyota does that better - and I agree, they had 10+ years to get it right but I think we do pretty darn good freeway. It could be improved and I am sure Ford will...but its all we got and if I have to hypermile to squeeze some more MPG out, I don't mind...after all, what am I going to do on the road...play the MPG game  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just traded in my 2004 Prius for a used C-Max Sel.  It had 18K miles on it and the lifetime average was 35mpg.  I reset it.... new driver and all and have some observances.  I tried driving 57-60 mph and felt I was struggling to get 41-42 mpg (all highway miles).  I drove 70 mph last evening as felt I easily got 44.2 mpg over 90 plus miles. 

I have only driven around 500 miles with the car so far.  I think once I get the tires inflated to my liking and put some Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic in I should be able to get around 45 mpg with little difficulty

I am glad there is a good forum started.  I thought PriusChat was an excellent source of information about my Prius.  I am hopeful that this site, as it develops, be similar.