C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Our '12 Camry XLE hybrid is averaging 40 mpg. It generates 200 combined HP, 12 more than the C-Max. If MPG is a prospective buyer's primary concern, the choice is six of one, half of the other. But for buyers who want the utility of a crossover, and power approaching the Camry's, the C-MAX may be the way to go.

CMAX mileage is going to keep going up thru summer and fall and will end up being  similar to Prius V with better city and not quite as high hwy (aerodynamics). Then add in Grill Covers for a couple more MPG's better than Prius V. 

CMAX drives like a regular car not a Prius.

Edited by ptjones

As long as Ford followed the EPA testing procedure correctly and the EPA's own (flawed for hybrid) testing of the C-Max comes close to the same numbers, I think it's unlikely that Ford will lose any of the lawsuits. If they want to sue anyone, it should be the EPA for continuing to use testing methods that don't show the real world performance.

Except, it is a 47mpg car.

Why do people ignore the "your mileage may vary" statement printed right under the 47mpg on the sticker?

The test is specified by the EPA. Ford runs the test as specified by the EPA. The C-Max attained 47mpg on that test, as specified by the EPA.

So if your driving style and conditions are similar to the EPA test, you will get 47mpg.

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

That disclaimer is on every window sticker and used in every ad.

My Energi model is rated at 43mpg, and I have attained 46mpg consistently.

My best drive to work yet. From Alicia Parkway in Orange County up the I 5 to the 10 West off at Cloverfield, typical Freeway driving between 55 and 62 some slow spots for traffic. Also was really low on fuel so the weight was was ideal for MPGe.

Anyone else doing better?  If not, try reading my "Surfing" post again, it honestly works.

IMG 3004[1]

I'm driving an Energi so it also weighs more than the regular C-Max hybrid. Note the 0.0 kWh, it means no Plug-in power was used.

Edited by DozerBob

My Energi model is rated at 43mpg, and I have attained 46mpg consistently.

I feel the need to clarify.  *I* get 46mpg.

My wife who drives like an aggressive maniac, gets less.  Although we have not done enough logging to figure out what her average is.

I always cringe when she is driving the car for a day because she kills all my cool statistics.

DozerBob - no freaking way - thats awesome but to put the regular CMax against a fully charged energy is like a flyweight boxer vs heavyweight, get killed cause we have no muscle (aka batts)   :worship: 

PS the fight is between you and Valk....I'm going to enjoy watching this  :rockon:

Hey Rachel - the wifey drove me home a couple of night ago in her Jaguar....oh man, did I feel like an old man driver in Maxine the way wifey hurled her Jaguar and gunned that car. I was thinking - hey...heres a part of the road I can coast and regen and she just fanged it doing 70+ and she brakes hard as well. She use to be a former racer. 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

On my 166 mi. trip up Freeway 5 from SD to Irvine and back, I set my eco cruise to 67, and managed to get 41.3 mpg.  On my commute I usually get 50+ going, 38ish coming home.  IMO, the EPA is understood the EPA numbers (for any car) to mean it can reach that mpg, not that it will always get it.  After driving a 25 mpg car for 7 years, I'm happy I chose this silver gray sucker!

post-165-0-11417700-1362202884_thumb.jpg

Edited by roninsd

The EPA numbers are great for comparison only... That's all they are to be used for.

They are not a guarantee of performance.

If one wants to compare two vehicles the two vehicles need to be tested as close to the same way as possible. That's what the EPA tests are - is a very specific set if prescribed tests which are done the same for every vehicle.

I think the whole problem could be averted if the EPA added one more test, a "sustained freeway speeds". Drive 10 miles at 45mph to warm up the vehicle.. Then drive 30 miles each at sustained speeds of 55mph, 65mph, 75mph, and 80mph. Display the results plotted on a line graph, so people can see that at sustained speeds here is what the vehicle got.

Those speeds cover the range of legal freeway speeds in all but one place, and should be a good indicator of real world use. It's really all the EPA tests are lacking - the other 6 or 7 tests they already perform have the city, urban, and suburban travel types well covered.

There should also be a standard about where any battery charge state should be at the start of any given test. Perhaps the sustained tests could recharge any batteries to full before testing each of the speeds. Or perhaps start with zero charge.

If they wanted to get detailed they could run all of the current EPA tests at 4 different ambient temps, and require that the cabin be kept at 70 degrees. Use ambient temps of 30degrees. 50degrees. 70degrees. And 90degrees. Plot those on the same graph,

So a consumer could quickly look at the conditions and see that a cars economy can vary wildly with temperature and speed.

Edited by valkraider

DozerBob - no freaking way - thats awesome but to put the regular CMax against a fully charged energy is like a flyweight boxer vs heavyweight, get killed cause we have no muscle (aka batts)   :worship: 

PS the fight is between you and Valk....I'm going to enjoy watching this  :rockon:

Hey Rachel - the wifey drove me home a couple of night ago in her Jaguar....oh man, did I feel like an old man driver in Maxine the way wifey hurled her Jaguar and gunned that car. I was thinking - hey...heres a part of the road I can coast and regen and she just fanged it doing 70+ and she brakes hard as well. She use to be a former racer. 

Hey Jus a CMax,  When the Energi is in EV-Later, we're only using 1.1 kwh of hybrid battery, no plug-in battery at all. Your C-Max hybrid has a 1.6 kwh battery to use for hybrid operation. So you guys actually have more muscle than we do in the Energi.

Edited by DozerBob

Hey Jus a CMax,  When the Energi is in EV-Later, we're only using 1.1 kwh of hybrid battery, no plug-in battery at all. Your C-Max hybrid has a 1.6 kwh battery to use for hybrid operation. So you guys actually have more muscle than we do in the Energi.

C-Max Hybrid ===> 1.4 kWh battery

C-Max Energy ==>  7.6 kWh battery

It's also my understanding that the hybrid also has 1.1 kWh for use in EV operation but can't locate the source.  There needs to be a reserve in the 1.4 kWh battery.  It cannot be drained to zero.

I live in Minnesota.  We had a real heat wave last week - couple of days above freezing.  I was getting 40-41 mpg on my commutes - 21 miles mostly freeway but with congestion 25% of the time.  Have about 5K on the car and am seeing better mileage now.  Really depends on how I drive though.  I don't consider myself holding up traffic but I do need to be conservative on the gas pedal.  I like the spunk it has when needed!