Refund checks?

mtb9153

I suspect Ford is looking for someone to PROMOTE to customer…what a major $%&^ up.

roflblack.gif

The Cmax was marketed in the US and Canada as a developed European car.

WRONG the power train is new to ford, NOT epa tested and NOT ready for the average US/Canada driver.

Then to make the situation worse some PR person came up with the $550.

AT THE SAME TIME as the developers/EPA certifiers FIXED the mpg problem.

wab

Agreed:

I suspect Ford is looking for someone to PROMOTE to customer…what a major $%&^ up.

roflblack.gif

The Cmax was marketed in the US and Canada as a developed European car platform. (& very well regarded in it's 10th year)

WRONG The power train is was new to ford, was marketed as such, and is marvelous;  was NOT epa tested (albeit in the Fusion); and NOT was ready for the average US/Canada driver. (acceptance debatable).

Then to make the situation worse better some PR person came up with the $550.

AT THE SAME TIME as the developers/EPA certifiers FIXED the mpg problem.

(Timing looks impeccable to me) 

wab

Regards,

Nick

The Ford C-Max:  A remarkable new twist on fuel efficient driving!

PS  (full disclosure:  Have never owned a Ford, only BMW, Audi, Volvo, VW, & Renault.  Favorite:  Volvo 240 (B-200 eng.))

Edited by C-MaxSea

I really don't see it that way.  My understanding is that the C-MAX has been sold in Europe for a number of years, so that part was not new.  I also thought that the Hybrid engine, while not used in the Euro C-MAX, has been in use by Ford for a number of years.

Yes, I get the part about not separately testing the C-MAX for FE numbers.  That is the reason that we are getting the money and free recalibration.  True, while I'd rather have better FE numbers than a check, at least Ford 'fessed-up and is handing out the money rather than fight tooth and nail about it, like many other car manufacturers often have done in similar situations.

Ford either made a mistake or followed the established system for EPA ratings on purpose, knowing that it would produce better numbers.  I can't say which is actually the case.  I can only think that it would be a stupid long-term decision to do things like this on purpose, but stupid decisions have been made in the past.  In the end, I am looking at how it seems to be getting handled, given the situation in which we find ourselves.  So, recalibration from what has been learned plus some cash to make up the cost seems like a pretty fair start.

I really don't see it that way.  My understanding is that the C-MAX has been sold in Europe for a number of years, so that part was not new.  I also thought that the Hybrid engine, while not used in the Euro C-MAX, has been in use by Ford for a number of years.

Yes, I get the part about not separately testing the C-MAX for FE numbers.  That is the reason that we are getting the money and free recalibration.  True, while I'd rather have better FE numbers than a check, at least Ford 'fessed-up and is handing out the money rather than fight tooth and nail about it, like many other car manufacturers often have done in similar situations.

Ford either made a mistake or followed the established system for EPA ratings on purpose, knowing that it would produce better numbers.  I can't say which is actually the case.  I can only think that it would be a stupid long-term decision to do things like this on purpose, but stupid decisions have been made in the past.  In the end, I am looking at how it seems to be getting handled, given the situation in which we find ourselves.  So, recalibration from what has been learned plus some cash to make up the cost seems like a pretty fair start.

I agree with ScubaDadMiami at least Ford is fessing up to their mistake, I doubt I could say the same for GM

Has there been a distribution of these yet?  Anybody get one yet?  Just curious.

Mine just arrived 15 minutes ago via Fed-Ex.  Came with a letter of explanation.  Now they claim 45 city 40 hwy 43 overall.  That explains my so-so mileage for my Las Vegas trip last week.  Also explains the GREAT mileage I am getting in town.

Mine just arrived 15 minutes ago via Fed-Ex. Came with a letter of explanation. Now they claim 45 city 40 hwy 43 overall. That explains my so-so mileage for my Las Vegas trip last week. Also explains the GREAT mileage I am getting in town.

Nice!

When did you get your cmax? I'd assume they'd go by purchase date. Who knows though..

Mine just arrived 15 minutes ago via Fed-Ex.  Came with a letter of explanation.  Now they claim 45 city 40 hwy 43 overall.  That explains my so-so mileage for my Las Vegas trip last week.  Also explains the GREAT mileage I am getting in town.

Did you have to sign for it?  Does it say you are agreeing to anything by cashing the check?

I have a Hyundai Genesis that fell under their program based on incorrect  testing adn reporting of EPA mileage, and the adjustment they made to the window sticker mileage ratings.  Hyundai got sued once this issue came out.

IN that program, you have to go online to register, then go into the dealership to have the odometer read and reported, then they issue a gift card for the amount that they calculated as due.  In my case, car had 15,000 miles and I got under $200 back.  You have to go back periodically for updating the rebate in case you have enough mileage added to the previous reported amount.

Pretty complicated and dealer has not been good about their reporting.....

As others stated, Ford had enough backbone to stand up and admit the issue and make a blanket approach.  In my view, it is still rare for companies to do that.

Ship (P/U) date: Tuesday, 9/17/13 RAVHQ FORD MOTOR COMPANY Farmington Hills, MI US   notif-fedex-progress-bar-details-picked- Picked up Estimated delivery date: Wednesday, 9/18/13 JAMES FOUTS   APEX, NC US               Shipment Facts       Our records indicate that the following package is scheduled to be delivered to you:       Tracking number: 571125638621 Status: Picked up Reference: 13B10 Service type: FedEx Standard Overnight Packaging type: FedEx Envelope Number of pieces: 1 Weight: 0.50 lb. Special handling/Services: Deliver Weekday   Residential Delivery

Looks like I will be getting mine tormorrow.  It doesn't mention that signature is required for mine.  I guess we will see since FedEx delivers when I am not home.

IMO it seem odd to use Ford CMAX money on Saturn. lol   Still wondering how gas pods worked out.  Paul

They are working fine as I have said in earlier posts.  Biggest sign that they are doing something is how clean my rear bumper stays, way less turbulence since adding them and I attribute my stabilized AvMPG to at least in part to the GasPods.  2 months ago I was lucky to maintain 40AvMPG in town with constant falling off into the high 30's.  The last two weeks I've managed to hold on to 44.3 with very conservative driving.  Paying close attention to my braking and making sure I stay below the 2 bar limit when I'm accelerating.  My job has me driving about 30 miles each day on city surface streets averaging between 25 to 35mph in mostly residential area's.  I'm noticing my biggest improvement under these driving conditions.  At one point this morning I looked down and I had scored a 44.6AvMPG.  2 months ago I was lucky to even stay above 39AvMPG.

Coming home I decided to get on the freeway, I wanted to see if I could build up my speed gradually to 65 and maintain the 44.6AvMPG all the way home.  As I merged onto the freeway I kept just under the 2 bar level, trying not to go over.  By gradually increasing my speed to 65 and then locking in the ECO Cruise, I was able to maintain 44.5 all the way home (12 miles).  Only losing 1 tenth which I feel was because a portion the route has varying levels of incline and would kick in the ICE but it was mode where you get a blend of ICE and EV.

It is obvious that my biggest improvement since getting the update is that I do much better now with slower speed city driving.  But not to say that my freeway miles hasn't also got better and more predictable.  I'm able to maintain a constant AvMPG throughout my freeway miles as well.  

To close with my conservative driving on this tank, trip1 has registered a first for Maxus, 195 miles, almost 200 miles on the first 1/4 tank.  That is a big improvement over the last year.

th_IMG_0736_zps6bd8e8a5.jpg  th_IMG_0737_zps777f298b.jpg

Got my check today: $325 for leasing.  I didn't have to sign anything.  Came FedEx.

I personally don't think Ford OWED me anything, but I appreciate the gesture.  People on this forum consistently get 47 or better combined.  On some trips, I get 41, on others, 62, on others, 36, etc..  It depends on the ups and downs of the road, the traffic, and how much of a hurry I'm in. 

This check, plus a $10 rebate I also got today for service, almost get me up to one car payment!  :rockon:

Very few People on this forum consistently get 47 or better combined.

FTFY   ;)

Fuelly is currently at 40.6 and my best guess is it will level off around the 41-ish range after all the summer/warm weather tanks stop contributing in the upcoming weeks.   Since the new EPA combined is 43mpg, that will be in line with other hybrids on fuelly that typically register 1-2mpg below their respective EPA combined numbers.

I personally think the refund amount is too low based on 100,000 miles (warranty) and $4 gallon fuel and should be in the $750-1,000 range (upper limit for CARB states with 150,000 mile warranty).  

Edited by fotomoto

Like some others have said:

1.  I have always been skeptical of EPA MPG ratings and never really expected to achieve 47 MPG in this car.  Anything 40 MPG or more would have been totally acceptable for a car that I think is comfortable and drives well. 

2.  I have been pleasantly surprised that we have been getting 45+ MPG, in a mixture of highway and city miles, with total mileage under 2K miles so far.

3.  The $550 check is a bonus, and a nice gesture from Ford