Struggling/Rough Idle?

armoredsaint

Our idle seems a little rough too since we got the upgrades for FE in October.  I sure noticed this when we accelerated onto the freeways.  I used to describe our C-Max as rocket propelled.  Can't use that term any longer.  Acceleration was totally adequate, but no longer that very smooth rocket like behaviour with a bit of a roar.  I am not at all impressed with the upgrades as we had a better car before they mucked around with things.  Hubby and I are both peeved with Ford over what they did.  I know some would advice us to head back to the dealership, but that isn't going to happen as we have no faith in them to make things better and not worse than they are.  I am thinking we will hang onto our C-Max for another year and then trade her in on something else.  Bummer for sure.

"Laurel

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Our idle seems a little rough too since we got the upgrades for FE in October.  I sure noticed this when we accelerated onto the freeways.  I used to describe our C-Max as rocket propelled.  Can't use that term any longer.  Acceleration was totally adequate, but no longer that very smooth rocket like behaviour with a bit of a roar.  I am not at all impressed with the upgrades as we had a better car before they mucked around with things.  Hubby and I are both peeved with Ford over what they did.  I know some would advice us to head back to the dealership, but that isn't going to happen as we have no faith in them to make things better and not worse than they are.  I am thinking we will hang onto our C-Max for another year and then trade her in on something else.  Bummer for sure."

Interesting about you idle and acceleration, our cmax reacted just the opposite after the FE update.

I was never impressed with the acceleration till after the upgrade.

Before the upgrade I was hohum when people would brag about their cmax performance, after was an AhHa moment!

Have you ever taken your car to another dealer? Almost sounds like a re-do might make things better???

wab

"Laurel

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Our idle seems a little rough too since we got the upgrades for FE in October.  I sure noticed this when we accelerated onto the freeways.  I used to describe our C-Max as rocket propelled.  Can't use that term any longer.  Acceleration was totally adequate, but no longer that very smooth rocket like behaviour with a bit of a roar.  I am not at all impressed with the upgrades as we had a better car before they mucked around with things.  Hubby and I are both peeved with Ford over what they did.  I know some would advice us to head back to the dealership, but that isn't going to happen as we have no faith in them to make things better and not worse than they are.  I am thinking we will hang onto our C-Max for another year and then trade her in on something else.  Bummer for sure."

Interesting about you idle and acceleration, our cmax reacted just the opposite after the FE update.

I was never impressed with the acceleration till after the upgrade.

Before the upgrade I was hohum when people would brag about their cmax performance, after was an AhHa moment!

Have you ever taken your car to another dealer? Almost sounds like a re-do might make things better???

wab

That's what I had to do. My maxie excellerated great before the update. After I almost got killed pulling out of the dealership. The car had no power at all. The ICE was screaming and no power to the wheels. It was like driving a standard car with the clutch slipping.

We have thought of trying another dealership, but we went in to book with the other dealership and the customer service guy was such a jerk that we left. At least our home dealership is courteous to us.  This dealership issue with hybrids is so discouraging.  We don't want to have to drive miles away to find someone with expertise.  I think we will wind up keeping ours for one more year and then trade her in. I was stunned with our lack of acceleration when entering freeways on our road trip in comparison to how it used to be.  Not as bad as JohnnOhio, but certainly enough of a change to be potentially dangerous when I expected good power and didn't get it.

Anyone else have this issue? When I was outside the car, I can hear the idle go up and down as it sounds like it's struggling. 

Maybe time for another visit to the Dealership which I hate.

Our idle seems a little rough too since we got the upgrades for FE in October.  I sure noticed this when we accelerated onto the freeways.  I used to describe our C-Max as rocket propelled.  Can't use that term any longer.  Acceleration was totally adequate, but no longer that very smooth rocket like behaviour with a bit of a roar.  I am not at all impressed with the upgrades as we had a better car before they mucked around with things.  Hubby and I are both peeved with Ford over what they did.  I know some would advice us to head back to the dealership, but that isn't going to happen as we have no faith in them to make things better and not worse than they are.  I am thinking we will hang onto our C-Max for another year and then trade her in on something else.  Bummer for sure.

armoredsaint and Laurel,

I'm happy to look into this for you. Shoot me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info and I'll see what I can do. :)

Ashley

Ashley thank you for your offer.  I will think about what to do.  Not quite sure how you could help in that the technicians doing the work seem to be learning as they go.  C-Maxes aren't exactly a hot commodity in Canada with only 900 sold.  This is Ford pickup territory and the hybrids just aren't selling. Our dealership may have sold one other than ours.  I am a little leery of taking you up on the offer as I feel that we will be branded as tattle tales and then really get the bum's rush there.  On the other hand we don't have much to lose as if things stay the same with service issues we will be moving on to a different car within the next year.  I will think about things and try to decide the best route to follow. I mean really what can you actually do?  Tell them to smarten up? LOL

My car still accelerates like a rocket with all the updates.

You are a lucky pup. I had to fight the dealership to fix it. I had Prius passing me everwhere I went. Semi trucks passing me on hills. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong and got rude with me so I went to another dealer and they fixed it.

Ashley thank you for your offer.  I will think about what to do.  Not quite sure how you could help in that the technicians doing the work seem to be learning as they go.  C-Maxes aren't exactly a hot commodity in Canada with only 900 sold.  This is Ford pickup territory and the hybrids just aren't selling. Our dealership may have sold one other than ours.  I am a little leery of taking you up on the offer as I feel that we will be branded as tattle tales and then really get the bum's rush there.  On the other hand we don't have much to lose as if things stay the same with service issues we will be moving on to a different car within the next year.  I will think about things and try to decide the best route to follow. I mean really what can you actually do?  Tell them to smarten up? LOL

Laurel,

I can get you set up with a regional customer service manager, who will work with your dealer to ensure they have the knowledge and resources necessary to take care of your concern. I don't want to lose you as a Ford customer, so please let me know if you decide you could use some extra help!

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That rocket like acceleration was my favourite thing about our car.  We have gone from that super charged rocket feel to a ho hum small car acceleration-- a bit like the Prius V when we took it onto the freeway. I figured they mucked it up on purpose as the rocket acceleration sucked up too much gas.

Have you tried any injector cleaner and how is your air filter? SOC will also have an effect on acceleration. With over 50k on MADMAX I can still brake lose the right front tire when I nail it. LOL :)

Paul