Transmission talk Hybrid and Energi

catsailor

I hear all this talk about the Energi transmission being fitted into the Hybrid.... maybe this is being done BECAUSE they can't make enough of one or the other to get a price break point. And we all know car makers want to minimize their parts bin. So if you needed to pick one tranny to use you need to pick the Energi's. I think this maybe the biggest driving force in getting new EPA test numbers.

When Ford designed both cars you can't tell me their engineers did not consider using one standard tranny for both car? I would think that the manufacturing engineers would have pointed them in this direction to begin with. As an engineer here this argument makes more sense to me than anything else. The aero mods I have seen PHOTOGRAPHED on the 2014 from MTB is so far un-impressive and looks like PT Jones will have a glue in rear wind fix soon :)

Interested in your thoughts

Edited by catsailor

Catsailor, speaking for mtb9153 I haven't done much other than the Gaspods which others are using as well and seem to like.  If you find that unimpressive even though it has definitely improved my MPG and improved even more with my latest positioning of the pods.  Then I don't know what it takes to get you interested?  Have a good weekend.

I hear all this talk about the Energi transmission being fitted into the Hybrid.... maybe this is being done BECAUSE they can't make enough of one or the other to get a price break point. And we all know car makers want to minimize their parts bin. So if you needed to pick one tranny to use you need to pick the Energi's. I think this maybe the biggest driving force in getting new EPA test numbers.

Ford makes it's own transmission in Wayne, MI, so I doubt they would have any problem adjusting how many to make. I think they rushed the Hybrid a bit and hadn't quite figured out what the optimum gear ratios should be. By the time the Energi was put in production they probably had more testing done.

I haven't heard whether the 2014 Hybrid will have the auxiliary transmission fluid pump that's in the Energi. Apparently the Hybrid in taxi service was having some problems because the engine wasn't running enough to keep the fluid moving.

Catsailor, speaking for mtb9153 I haven't done much other than the Gaspods which others are using as well and seem to like.  If you find that unimpressive even though it has definitely improved my MPG and improved even more with my latest positioning of the pods.  Then I don't know what it takes to get you interested?  Have a good weekend.

should have clearer I meant to say the mods you took a picture of on the new 2014 is not impressive and YES I have gas pods and love them.

I may have it backwards, but I had always imagined that the Energi had a greater overall reduction than the Hybrid, giving it better acceleration in EV but greater RPM for the ICE at highway speeds and hence lower MPG rating when running EV later. I doubt Ford would want to modify the Hybrid in that way.

Both CVTe's are the same. The Energi has a 2.91 gear ratio and the external (aux) ATF pump. Ford makes these

CVT's in house. They changed the gear ratio for the 2014 Hybrids to match the Energi's ratio for better mpg.

Ford has also issued a TSB for CVT bearing noise related issue's caused by lack of ATF circulation on the Hybrids without

the AUX, ATF pump, while running on the HVB.

Edited by drdiesel1

• 2 weeks later...

Both CVTe's are the same. The Energi has a 2.91 gear ratio and the external (aux) ATF pump. Ford makes these

CVT's in house. They changed the gear ratio for the 2014 Hybrids to match the Energi's ratio for better mpg.

Ford has also issued a TSB for CVT bearing noise related issue's caused by lack of ATF circulation on the Hybrids without

the AUX, ATF pump, while running on the HVB.

Has this TSB been posted anywhere? I don't recall seeing it.