Battery dead

Just doing google searches for ford's TSB 12-11-8, and this is what I find:

It addresses radio and accessory shutdown problems and was issued on 11/15/2012 according to 2013 Ford Flex owners. Ford has had this TSB out for other Ford vehicles since November 15, 2012. Why it is just now being performed on our C-Maxs is a mystery to me. 

Read the following thread about Ford Flex electrical issues:

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8794

Here is a facebook page from a Ford/Lincoln dealer that seems to quote the TSB:

https://m.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=478881998829078&_ft_=fbid.478881998829078

Some 2013 C-Max, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Flex and Taurus vehicles equipped with a 4.2-inch Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM), excluding Monochromatic Displays and MyFord Touch, may exhibit the radio staying on for approximately 20-30 seconds after the key is off and the door open.

TSB 12-11-8

If you have experienced this concern, and your vehicle fits this description, call our service department to schedule an appointment for the newest update and repair. 330-456-2781

November 19, 2012 at 1:34pm

I have some doubts that the radio staying on an extra 20-30 seconds is the cause of our 12 volt problems.

Found car dead in garage yesterday.  Called Ford line (800-392-3673) to report so that we have a reference number.  I was afraid to have tow truck come and mess something up so we just jumped it ourselves since dealer said they'd probably just try to start it anyway.  

Car was unlocked, radio and air probably left on (very rarely use the air conditioner).

Had some weird transient message last week on MFT screen, next time I'll take photo.

Not sure if this is something or not, but when using rear gate lately at night I noticed there wasn't a light coming on but never thought to check when it was daytime.  Today after charging, there are 2 lights in the back that come on.

We don't use anything plugged in except phone charger which is unplugged and put away when not driving.

Clock started back at 12 when jumped, Home was missing on navigation, but favorites were still there (?), mileage counters for trips 1 & 2 still there.

SEL 301A package, built Oct 4, 2012.  

5800 miles

Edited by andeeca

First dead battery this morning.  C-Max SE purchased in February.  1340 miles.  No options.  Never used any 12v ports.  Jumped from 12v trolling battery.  Buying emergency starter battery today.  Next time will call Ford Emergency service if not in a hurry or not in my garage.

Nothing worked at all.  Doors were unlocked since car was in garage.  Rear hatch would not open so I won't store jumper cables there again.  Clock has correct time after jump start.  Car is used 3 or 4 times a week with nearest anything being 9 miles.   Most trips are 25 miles round trip. 

Hi,

Jusy got my C-MAX SE back from the dealer for the second time because of dead battery. Each time they kept the car for 8 days. When they gave it back to me the dealer manager told me that he "hopes" they were able to fix it. He said they have had a lot of these problems and that Ford Corporate is trying really hard to figure out what is wrong. Great. They would not give me a print out of what they did to the car and said they were going to have to send it to me in the mail. They were still talking with Ford Corporate about what to put in the report???? They also said they would call me at the begginning of next week to give me an update? Why am I still driving this car???? Well 16 days so far, 14 days more and it will be a lemon according to Wisconsin law and they would have to give me back my money.

I bought the car at the end of December. I had 3,500 miles on the car before the first time it was dead. One time it was in the garage and died overnight. The second time, three weeks after the first, it was parked in the driveway and died sometime during the day.

I have posts in another battery forum but this one seems to have the traction to get Ford's attention.   My Cmax is sitting in the service bay of a very good Ford dealer in Ohio.  They are working their butts off to solve the problem but it is obviously a very complex problem for corporate Ford.   My guess is that the problem has nothing to do with the 12v battery, the battery is just victim to something that want electricity while the car is at rest.  It  might be  a signal  waking up one of the many computers(modules) when the car is at rest and activating a high current load that drains the battery.   

Normal current draw on the battery at rest should be approx 20 miliamps per the Service Manager.   I heard a clicking noise under the hood near the drivers side hood hinge.   After a day sitting in the service bay at normal current draw they started to see a 350 milliamp current level and could hear the clicking sound.  Key removed and put at a distance from the vehicle did not solve the problem.   One of the computers is trying to active the ABS  anti lock brake system which I assume would be a high current draw.   Corporate Ford is coming down next week to investigate. 

Open question. to forum users.......if the anti lock brake system is activated at rest to the point it runs down the battery, is there a chance that damage would occur to the ABS module or shortening of it's life .  My car is in for service so I don't know who the supplier of the module is or how it works.

Ford will solve the problem.  I'm sure there are a few engineers in Detroit on the hot seat right now.

Temp61  My wife's C-Max would not start the second week she had it, mid November.  Dealer had it a week due to having to order a module for the ABS system. Was not able to explain how this killed the 12 Volt.  Car worked for a few weeks and dead battery again.  This time found 12 Volt was bad, probably a result of previous problem.  Replaced and now fine.  I would think Ford was aware since the had to work with Ford to find ABS problem.  For your dealer's possible analysis the vin of this car is 1FADP5AU2DL505205.  Good luck.  My 2013 Fusion Hybrid's 12 Volt is regularly getting weak enough for Battery Saver to kick in so unable to use Accessory mode.

Temp61

Would you please add a few more details, if you can?

When did your car experience 12 volt problems and when did you first bring it to the dealer? And how many times after that?

Do you know how your dealer monitored current draw over time? Or how they tracked the draw to the ABS system?

Thanks

The ABS being activated is probably a symptom of low battery voltage rather than the cause of low battery voltage.

There are several sensors that the ABS module monitors.

If these sensors don't have the proper voltage, they can send erroneous signals to the ABS  module causing the module to try to modulate brake pressure (putting further drain on the battery).

Both problems occurred the first month she had the car.  Took car to dealer immediately after jumpstart.  The thing that got their attention is the car would not go into EV mode after the jump.  All I know, wife picked up car and turned in the loaner, it that they replace the part that Ford had sent.  Took a week since Thanksgiving day held up the part until Tue of the following week.  The part/sensor?? was part of the ABS system.  A week or so after the "fix" had to have car jumped again.  I could have done it but wife wanted Ford to pay for it.  Previous car was a 2006 Honda that never failed her.  This time they checked battery and declared it defective and was replaced.  I know no more but since then she has had no problems and trusts the car again and really likes it.  Love would still be too strong a word.

I had the same thing happen with my ABS in non hybrid. The mechanic said that low voltage in modern cars cause lots of problems. ABS,transmission shifts, even the engine. He said that cars rely on the battery for everything. The battery only has 12 volts the run everything and when it gets week the electronics start doing crazy things. There are a lot of bells and whistles in these cars and maybe we have finally reached the limits of the 12 volt battery.

Just an update.  No problems YET after the "fix" they performed on Tuesday afternoon. I'm very gun-shy now.  I have only driven short runs though. 7mi. each way.  Mileage has increased into the 41 mpg on this tank with individual runs now reaching 50mpg.  Don't believe the increase is due to the fix or the fact that the car now has 1950 miles on it.  EV+ started remembering my house again yesterday after the "fix".

Hi all, just an update, or no update. A while ago, the dealer gave our car back, having searched for 9 days, but not having found anything. We have not had any further problems (yet). We have been careful to turn everything off, including heated seats, although that should be automatic. However, one day we parked in the driveway, locked the car and came in--parking lights were still on and did not go off even after a while. (Headlights were in 'auto' position.) Unlocked car, fiddled with the switch and locked it again, and lights went off. It seems like a relay is getting stuck somewhere, maybe. Will keep watching.

Someone mentioned they have a Fusion. Anyone know if they are having similar problems?

Someone else mentioned EV+. Anyone have this happen anywhere *except* at home?

Hi All:

Ford called me Friday and informed me that they have agreed to buy my car back. Good news but sort of bittersweet because I really liked the Cmax. It was everything I was looking for in a car. I wish I had bought it 6 months from now when I am sure Ford will have figured things out. I was glad to read that Oxnard's Cmax is doing well - I hope it continues to be problem free.

They are only going to charge me 90$ for depreciation which was good. So while the buy back approval process took a little longer than I would have liked - Ford did the right thing and did not give me any hassle at all.

On a somewhat ironic note I took a Focus ST out for a test drive to see if the seats were not as bad as I remembered (they felt better this time) but when we went to start the car its battery was dead and needed a jump! (side note: 254hp in a Focus is grin inducing).

I now have a never used AutoSport custom fit sun shade for a Cmax if anyone is interested. (its pretty big since the Cmax windshield is so large)

yark99 - my dealer spent so much time driving my Cmax around trying to figure out what was wrong that when I got it back (briefly) and I drove by the dealer on the way to work it would go into EV+ mode.

Cheers All

Andrew

Too bad the dead battery issue continues but I'm learning quite a bit reading some highly technical replies. Knock on lead, I've been trouble free since the second occurrence last fall, having only the 12V battery replaced after the first time. I never thought my post would rank number one on the replies-to list. 

To those who have the Stanley Simple Start, the instruction manual advises to store it between 41-68F (5-20C). So, unless one lives in a temperate climate, is it risky to keep it in the C-Max during temperatures outside of that range, which kind of defeats the purpose of having an emergency boost device? Are you supposed to carry it with you at all times and periodically check the charge level?

Can anyone recommend an alternative device?

I realize that if my battery is ever dead again, I'm supposed to have it towed but I want to have an alternative if it occurs at an inopportune time or place.

Thanks

Hi All:

Ford called me Friday and informed me that they have agreed to buy my car back. Good news but sort of bittersweet because I really liked the Cmax. It was everything I was looking for in a car. I wish I had bought it 6 months from now when I am sure Ford will have figured things out. I was glad to read that Oxnard's Cmax is doing well - I hope it continues to be problem free.

They are only going to charge me 90$ for depreciation which was good. So while the buy back approval process took a little longer than I would have liked - Ford did the right thing and did not give me any hassle at all.

On a somewhat ironic note I took a Focus ST out for a test drive to see if the seats were not as bad as I remembered (they felt better this time) but when we went to start the car its battery was dead and needed a jump! (side note: 254hp in a Focus is grin inducing).

I now have a never used AutoSport custom fit sun shade for a Cmax if anyone is interested. (its pretty big since the Cmax windshield is so large)

yark99 - my dealer spent so much time driving my Cmax around trying to figure out what was wrong that when I got it back (briefly) and I drove by the dealer on the way to work it would go into EV+ mode.

Cheers All

Andrew

Glad Ford is backing their product by doing the buy back.  Let us know on the steps they make you take.  Keep an eye out for the red C-Max.  Easy plate to remember:  A HOT 1

Answers to Salman's questions.

SE model, 6k mikes, 4.5" radio screen, heated seats.   

4 dead battery occasions.  They started in early Feb.   I jumped it the first three times and had it towed in the 4th.  Every time is was as the car was parked overnight in a garage. All instances were reported to Service Mgr.

I used my cell phone video recorder to record all 4 turn signals blinking in the middle of the night.   I also used the audio on the cell phone to record a relay trying to energize  near the hood hinge on driver's side.  Shared both with Service Manager. 

The dealer has the rear hatch open and a ammeter hooked up in series to the battery to measure current draw.   Day one and two were okay, battery draw very low.   Day three they started to see an amperage  much higher than normal.   They can also hear the relay clicking and traced it to the ABS circuit.  I believe someone from Ford is coming in this week to support them, it's a larger problem than any dealer should be expected to diagnose.

I'm in a rental car and in no hurry to get the car back.  I want it fixed so my wife will drive her car again.  The Cmax is a great concept and I'm sure the pressure is mounting in Detroit to find the cause.

Can anyone recommend an alternative device?

I bought a duralast 600 from autozone. It has a display on it to tell you how much its chared so I can check it periodically and re-charge it. I haven't had cause to use it yet, but I was gun shy after my initial experience.

Andrew, good to hear your buy back is going smoothly, sounds like its going easier than mine did.

I just took my C-Max for a bit of a jaunt, about 550 miles up into some snow and back the next day. I saw lots of cars in the ditch due to the bad weather, but the C-Max handled just fine. Still no problems. *knocks on wood*

Just in case people don't know this... but if you press the lock button twice, the C-Max will honk once to let you know everything is good. It will give you two short honks if something isn't closed properly.

I did this just this other day, when I was cleaning snow off mine, and was going to go back in side afterwards I pressed the lock twice and it gave me the "Somethings not right" honk, so I checked all the doors and sure enough one was slightly open. 12 V Discharge averted!

I always do the double lock to make sure I didn't leave a door ajar.

I've got another one to add to the list.  Bought our C-max SE with winter package as the only added option on Saturday, March 23.  My wife tried to drive home from work yesterday (March 26) but found the battery was dead.  Roadside assistance got us to the dealership today, who said that we had a bad 12V battery (failed load test) but they didn't see any TSB's for the C-max.  Also, they didn't have any C-max batteries in stock, so we won't get our car back till tomorrow.

My question is:  of the people who have been told that they "just have a bad 12V battery" and had that replaced, has that completely solved the problem for anyone, or does the problem always resurface?  I don't want to get the car back tomorrow if it's going to happen again two days later.