Battery dead

I've got another one to add to the list.  Bought our C-max SE with winter package as the only added option on Saturday, March 23.  My wife tried to drive home from work yesterday (March 26) but found the battery was dead.  Roadside assistance got us to the dealership today, who said that we had a bad 12V battery (failed load test) but they didn't see any TSB's for the C-max.  Also, they didn't have any C-max batteries in stock, so we won't get our car back till tomorrow.

My question is:  of the people who have been told that they "just have a bad 12V battery" and had that replaced, has that completely solved the problem for anyone, or does the problem always resurface?  I don't want to get the car back tomorrow if it's going to happen again two days later.

Have the dealer look up TSB #12-11-8.  It is what Ford told my dealer to refer to to fix the issue.  If they can't find the TSB, have them call Vista Ford of Oxnard and ask them what to do.

--Marty

Double lock also activates the alarm system. That is what the single honk means

I'm pretty sure that is not true, at least my other Ford does not behave that way.  (The C-Max does not have an alarm indicator, my Explorer does.)  Pressing once does activate the alarm.  Pressing twice gives you an indication that the doors are all shut and locked.  If a door is open and you press twice, you will hear two honks.

Oxnard...is this a TSB that wouldn't show up if he searched for C-max specific TSB's?  Because I asked him about that (without having the specific TSB reference number) and he said the first thing he did was look for any service bulletins since the car is so new.

I'm a little nervous about this dealership's knowledge base, frankly, because he told me this is the first C-max he's seen in his garage and he only has one hybrid certified mechanic...

This is TSB 12-11-8:

Issue:

Some 2013 C-Max, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Flex and Taurus vehicles equipped with a 4.2-inch Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM), excluding Monochromatic Displays and MyFord Touch, may exhibit the radio staying on for approximately 20-30 seconds after the key is off and the door open.

This might contribute to the dead battery problem, but this issue by itself should not be enough to drain the battery.

Typically, from what I've read, most don't fail the load test... I think one poster mentioned they had the battery replaced and haven't seen the issue resurface.

Honestly, when mine did it the first time, that was my default assumption, that Ford had a defective battery, it would be replaced and I;d move on.

When they didn't declare it bad and told me not to plug in accessories... I found this site because I didn't believe it!

This is TSB 12-11-8:

Issue:

Some 2013 C-Max, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Flex and Taurus vehicles equipped with a 4.2-inch Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM), excluding Monochromatic Displays and MyFord Touch, may exhibit the radio staying on for approximately 20-30 seconds after the key is off and the door open.

This might contribute to the dead battery problem, but this issue by itself should not be enough to drain the battery.

It looks like that TSB does not apply to MyFordTouch vehicles.

Ford engineering is aware of the problem and has issued this message to Ford service shops:

SSM 32121 - 2013 C-MAX - 12 Volt Battery Dead Overnight Will Not Hold Charge
Some 2013 C-MAX vehicles may exhibit a concern where the 12 volt battery is unable to maintain a charge, or becomes discharged when the vehicle is operated with maximum electrical loads for short drive cycles, and then left unattended for several hours. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. In the interim, test condition of the 12 volt battery and service the vehicle as required per Workshop Manual, Section 414-01. Advise customers to consider not using high load accessories, such as laptops and DVD players, during these peak load situations. Continue to monitor OASIS for updates.

There is supposed to be a software update coming in the future to fix the issue.

Thanks mbedit.  I'm planning on going away for the weekend, and either have to leave it sitting in the driveway for 3 days, or drive it 3 hours away from my home.  Neither one make me feel very comfortable right now.  Will probably buy a portable jump starter just in case and hope it was only a defective battery.  I would have assumed that at first and not worried about it if I hadn't seen all these threads.

Oxnard...is this a TSB that wouldn't show up if he searched for C-max specific TSB's?  Because I asked him about that (without having the specific TSB reference number) and he said the first thing he did was look for any service bulletins since the car is so new.

I'm a little nervous about this dealership's knowledge base, frankly, because he told me this is the first C-max he's seen in his garage and he only has one hybrid certified mechanic...

Suggest that they look at this forum or contact Ford engineering, Or perhaps call the dealer who had my C-Max for a month (Vista Ford, Oxnard, CA).  Don't know for sure if they solved my problem for sure as it has only been a week back.  But I am doing the same kind of driving. Usually just 5 miles, twice a day and one 50 mile each way trip once a week. 240-250/week. Also still plugging my phone into the USB port while in the car.  Still a little gun shy and watch that everything shuts off when I park the car for the night.

My C-max is the SE with Ford Sync not My touch.

--Marty

The trend of the data in the poll seems to  agree with ford that the primary issue is centered around base vehicles without the "Touch" system. though it seems like there is almost at least 1 data point for each model at this point. The idea that the 12 V isn't getting charged properly makes sense, and I think thats what others have been saying also.

The question is why do vehicles with (arguably) less complex electronics discharge more often? I hope it does fix your issue Oxnard! But when the other fix comes out, I think it might be prudent for people to get the software update!

The trend of the data in the poll seems to  agree with ford that the primary issue is centered around base vehicles without the "Touch" system. though it seems like there is almost at least 1 data point for each model at this point. The idea that the 12 V isn't getting charged properly makes sense, and I think thats what others have been saying also.

The question is why do vehicles with (arguably) less complex electronics discharge more often? I hope it does fix your issue Oxnard! But when the other fix comes out, I think it might be prudent for people to get the software update!

Totally agree that when (if) they come out with the other fix we bum-rush the dealers and get the fix.  I'm not totally sold yet regarding the fix they did to my car.  

Second time the battery was found dead in my SE, this time at 5100 miles. Dead after sitting over night. Traveled about 60 miles last night on the highway. Jumped it myself with my portable powerpack. Called Ford customer service and the rep said that they had a CMax meeting this morning, and there would be a fix for the battery charging and clock coming out in 2 weeks. The dealers are supposed to notify us when the fix is ready. . . 

bymaine: I would think that after 60 miles your battery would be fully charged when you put it away. I think the "software solution" is just going to make the car charge the battery harder to prevent the "short trip" run down. I still think there is a power drain going on which would explain what happened to you. If only we all had dealers like Rdldr1's I think there would be many more solved cases.

just my 2 cents

Cheers

Andrew

If only we all had dealers like Rdldr1's I think there would be many more solved cases.

Still no issues with the C-Max, other than MFT's annoying glitches, since the IP problem was resolved... :)  I am very happy with my dealership, that is why we recently bought our Fusion Hybrid SE to go with the C-Max from them... 

Second time the battery was found dead in my SE, this time at 5100 miles. Dead after sitting over night. Traveled about 60 miles last night on the highway. Jumped it myself with my portable powerpack. Called Ford customer service and the rep said that they had a CMax meeting this morning, and there would be a fix for the battery charging and clock coming out in 2 weeks. The dealers are supposed to notify us when the fix is ready. . . 

I received an e-mail from the Ford Engineer today saying they found the root cause on the one they bought back, so I'm thinking they are linked. The note from ford said they found It was a module that would go into a loop, and wouldn't down the network. so I'm assuming that whatever they role out in 2 weeks will probably be based on that.

I know lots of people have been frustrated at the issue, but I have to give Ford some cudos for staying in touch and follwing up with me. I really appreciate it and I'm hoping they really got it fixed!

Not possible since I have to turn OFF CAR WITH A KEY,,

Mine has died twice and once the windows went down --seriously ---by themselves. No joke. It was raining so there is no way I would have had the windows down ! I know how this sounds but I am not making this up ;) still raining and my car windows are still down ;)

I have a question concerning all of these dead batteries in the C-Max.  Is it ossible that people are not actually turning their cars off?  I find the hybrid system so different that it is easy to make mistakes.  I came home once and drove into the garage, thought I had turned the car off, and exited.  Because there is no sound of an engine running I thought I had pushed the button, but when I did a sideways glance at the instrument panel, everything was still on.  Normally everything stays lit up until you open the car door and then starts to power off if you have turned the car off.  It would have been very easy for me to walk away from my car thinking I had turned it off--if I had been distracted in the least--that is exactly what I would have done.  But because I was not distracted I did notice that all the gauges were not powering off when I opened the driver's door.  Or perhaps double pushing the button when you turn the car off is another possibility as that puts the car into accessory mode.  I notice our running lights stay on when our car is in accessory mode i.e. I jump out to get the mail and hubby sits and listens to music and I notice the running lights are on when I come back.  I would think that would drain the 12 v battery fairly quickly.

I have a question concerning all of these dead batteries in the C-Max.  Is it possible that people are not actually turning their cars off?  I find the hybrid system so different that it is easy to make mistakes.  I came home once and drove into the garage, thought I had turned the car off, and exited.  Because there is no sound of an engine running I thought I had pushed the button, but when I did a sideways glance at the instrument panel, everything was still on.  Normally everything stays lit up until you open the car door and then starts to power off if you have turned the car off.  It would have been very easy for me to walk away from my car thinking I had turned it off--if I had been distracted in the least--that is exactly what I would have done.  But because I was not distracted I did notice that all the gauges were not powering off when I opened the driver's door.  Or perhaps double pushing the button when you turn the car off is another possibility as that puts the car into accessory mode.  I notice our running lights stay on when our car is in accessory mode i.e. I jump out to get the mail and hubby sits and listens to music and I notice the running lights are on when I come back.  I would think that would drain the 12 v battery fairly quickly.

I received an e-mail from the Ford Engineer today saying they found the root cause on the one they bought back, so I'm thinking they are linked. The note from ford said they found It was a module that would go into a loop, and wouldn't down the network. so I'm assuming that whatever they role out in 2 weeks will probably be based on that.

I know lots of people have been frustrated at the issue, but I have to give Ford some cudos for staying in touch and follwing up with me. I really appreciate it and I'm hoping they really got it fixed!

So what can we do if we have the current module with the bad loop? Any ideas? We live in North Texas and last time we went in they didn't have any clue as to why the battery went dead.

So what can we do if we have the current module with the bad loop? Any ideas? We live in North Texas and last time we went in they didn't have any clue as to why the battery went dead.

I asked the the Engineer if they can share more specifics, but I would think that we'll see a TSB in in the next two weeks with the fix for that, so unfortunately I think we have to be a bit more patient. If he calls me back I'll ask him if there is a TSB already and if so I'll certainly post it.

Thanks salman,

I did get a call again from Ford today and they gave me the specifics on what they found and what they are going to do, but they also asked that I keep it on the QT until they can get their TSB out. So, suffice it to say, A TSB is coming, and as previously stated (since this isn't anything new) it should be out in the next 1-2 weeks.

I will add that the last TSB mentioned (on the previous page I think) is good solid information. So I would suggest if your in a fix, take that info to your dealer.

Again, I have to say I really appreciated that Ford followed up and gave me the specifics, I have to say I've been a bit concerned that I would see the problem re-emerge on my new vehicle , and Fords customer service has not only kept me as a customer, but put me at ease that I won't see a occurrence of the problem, which really mitigates any uneasiness I had about the C-Max or Ford.

I got my car back earlier this week after it was at the dealership for 9 days.  They reprogrammed the FCDIM module (4.5" radio screen) for the second time with updated software from Ford's IDS system software..  They then let it sit outside for 7 days and checked it every morning for stability.   I believe they are narrowing the issue down to the software in the Front Console Display Interface Module (FCDIM).  The initial software modifications that were applied were not stable.

My car is acting normal again but only time will tell if they have a fix.   If you are having 12 v battery problems, call your Service Manage and tell him you want the latest software modification for the  FCDIM  installed.  Don't take no for an answer.

We can all report success or failure via this forum.

running again in Ohio