Battery dead

"...a good dealership should do its best to ease the burden on us by offering a free rental or courtesy car. they are not required to do it, but by reports on this forum it seems that most dealerships will do this. Ford should do it because they are indeed racing the clock to preserve the reputation of their hybrid cars."

When my car had the battery issue the Ford dealer who worked on it (not the dealer who sold me the car) got me a rental that day.  They kept the car for over a month until the TSB care in to fix the issue.  They billed the rental to Ford.  If they didn't cover the rental I would have been very upset to say the least.  I'm leasing my C-max so I guess I can do an extra road trip now.  I did a Vegas trip and a trip to Eureka on Ford's dime (except for gas) :rockon:  

Good to hear you have quality Ford dealership at your end of town friend :)

Flatbat

Thanks for the info.

the wiring harnesses are different. The audio harness shouldn't get wet. The harness replaced on my car was a major piece of wiring under the hood connecting to multiple systems and potentially exposed to water from rain and the road. FWIW, you might ask to have the connectors checked for water.

I see your point about your dealer's response and why you wrote a letter invoking the lemon law. Have you considered bringing your car to a different dealer for warranty service? I did that. The dealer I brought it from had an unsatisafctory service department and so I switched to a different dealer for service (no need to do anything but bring the car to a different dealership). I think the service manager and mechanic are much better at the second shop.

Well, it has happened to me.  Dead 12 V battery.

Background facts: C-Max acquired end of 2012 year, 2,100 miles, not driven for seven days, then driven two days for short trips.  Following morning, would not start. Everything dead.  Called AAA for jump, got it started, took it to dealer.  Dealer has recharged the 12 V and is keeping car overnight to see if there are any electrical drains.

What do you think?

You need the TSB and a new battery.  A totally drained battery is a damaged battery.  Ask for a new one.

Read all the proceeding posts.  There are multiple possible causes including bad programming, frayed wiring to the tailgate and bad connectors behind the front bumper.  Not to mention that the Original Equipment 12V battery is just too small to begin with.

You need the TSB and a new battery.  A totally drained battery is a damaged battery.  Ask for a new one.

Read all the proceeding posts.  There are multiple possible causes including bad programming, frayed wiring to the tailgate and bad connectors behind the front bumper.  Not to mention that the Original Equipment 12V battery is just too small to begin with.

Thanks. Can you supply me with something I can use to prove I need a new battery?

First off, print copies of all the posts from this thread where people talk about getting new batteries on warranty. And, where they talk about the dealer doing something to fix the problem that kills batteries. Insist that your dealer check the known problem with the charging system and with various current drains.

The dealer can test the battery and see if it is bad.  If it's been drained it probably has been damaged and should be replaced. But, keep in mind, it really wasn't the battery's fault. The system on some cars just doesn't charge it to a high enough level and there is a TSB for that.  On other cars, there are mysterious current drains that drain it over a relatively short time

Well, it has happened to me.  Dead 12 V battery.

Background facts: C-Max acquired end of 2012 year, 2,100 miles, not driven for seven days, then driven two days for short trips.  Following morning, would not start. Everything dead.  Called AAA for jump, got it started, took it to dealer.  Dealer has recharged the 12 V and is keeping car overnight to see if there are any electrical drains.

What do you think?

Results:

Dealership performed TSB -13-5-1 reprogramming DC/DC module, cleared all DTC's.

After recharging the battery, the dealership kept the car overnight to test for power loss from battery.  It passed all test.

Picked up the car today.  So for, so good.

Tom and others who had the TSB performed-whether for battery problem or as a preventative measure- how long did the process take? I ask because yesterday I took my car in because of the "check engine light" and asked that the 12 volt TSB be performed as well. Picked it up today. Purge valve replaced and receipt indicates "TSB for 12 volt checked per customer request". The service manager assured me it was done but to me the word "checked" is ambiguous. How can I know for sure? Thanks. I used this forum to suggest to Service that the valve could be the culprit and to request the TSB.

Questions for all who had this issue issue (for me a soon to be / want to be CMax owner)....

1) Is there there any model/option package this issue DOESN'T apply to? (we are thinking of getting a SEL 303a package without sunroof)

2) for those who had to leave your car at dealer for >7 days and had a loan payment to pay each month (not a lease) did you ask to be repaid for the portion of monthly payment that you could not use the car, and if not is this feasible/possible to recoup from Ford corporate??

After reading this entire thread, Im not as excited to try and convince my wife to go Ford over Toyota for her next car.If we do get the CMax, I think special ordering one (to be sure all the latest software and best practices/lessons learned for manufacturing this car) instead of getting one from dealer lot (with potential major issues) may be the best bet.

with all the negative publicity this car is getting for the "suspect" MPG numbers (im sure has more to do with driver method) Ford cant afford to have these dead battery issues on top of that. Lets hope they fix it for real and fast. 2nd gen CMax (US that is. I know this is 3rd gen for Ford all countries)  may be looking like a better option right now.

Edited by salsaguy

Tom and others who had the TSB performed-whether for battery problem or as a preventative measure- how long did the process take? I ask because yesterday I took my car in because of the "check engine light" and asked that the 12 volt TSB be performed as well. Picked it up today. Purge valve replaced and receipt indicates "TSB for 12 volt checked per customer request". The service manager assured me it was done but to me the word "checked" is ambiguous. How can I know for sure? Thanks. I used this forum to suggest to Service that the valve could be the culprit and to request the TSB.

My dealership had my car from late afternoon, May 13 until midday May 15.  Started work on the 14th and kept it overnight to check for electric drain.  So actual work was done on 14th and 15th.

My dealership had my car from late afternoon, May 13 until midday May 15.  Started work on the 14th and kept it overnight to check for electric drain.  So actual work was done on 14th and 15th.

My situation was as a preventative measure as my car was built before Feb 2013. I guess 24 hours in my case ( waiting for valve to come in) may not be that far off. Is battery drain part of the process for cars not showing a dead battery?? I have no tech savvy.

what alts are there for my wife who wants an suv like driving/seating position (up high) and gets good (>35 mi/gal) fuel economy? they dont have a 2013 Escape Hybrid. She is coming from a 1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited which does not get even 20 mpg and saving gas is a major concern in her next vehicle. Trips would be be much  less than 25 miles miles each way. She doesnt like lower ride feel cars as much since she doesn't like to "drag her a$$ " as she puts it.

Salsaguy: Why would anyone having read this thread spend their good, hard-earned money to buy into this problem when there are so many great alternatives? I tried twice, both went DOA, returned both. Done with C-max.

Edited by salsaguy

Salsaguy: Why would anyone having read this thread spend their good, hard-earned money to buy into this problem when there are so many great alternatives? I tried twice, both went DOA, returned both. Done with C-max.

Second bar (BLACK) from top of this page

White arrow by user ID (Your Profile) (click)

My Settings

'Ignore' Preferences

(under) Add a new user to my list

Ignore:  Posts    Signature    Messages

kbf1kbf1 ( :baby: )  (Click)  posts.............Signatures...........Messages

Save Changes  (click)

:happy feet: 

Salsa Guy

Except for the 12 volt problem i have been very happy with the CMax. It drives well. I get MPG in the 40s. It has good cargo space and is almost as high off the road as an SUV. I find it very comfortable. But the 12 volt problem is significant for those of us who have had it, and I would think it is a worry on the minds of owners who have not yet experienced it. 

It is impossible to say what the incidence rate is for 12 volt problems. My guess is that it is somewhere between 1% and 10% of the cars sold, probably between 1% and 5%. 

If you don't have to buy a car immediately, wait until the fall to see if the 12 volt battery is resolved. At that time you could also negotiate a better price on a 2013 or buy a 2014.

I should add to my recent post...

"...and also has the excellent cabin space for its passengers, can move it when you hit the gas, provides excellent handling, has a decent amount of cargo space, has excellent refinements and high fit and finish in the cabin, with lots of tech and maybe some wow/exceed expectations items (foot activated lift gate), all for around $30,000"

i think most would be hard pressed to find a viable alternative to the cmax without major compromises in some/all of those categories.

true, but by that time there may not be any any of the SEL 303a left to get. we will see what happens.

her SUV has a bad catalytic converter and gets under 18 mpg so thats a big motivator. the money for the new cat $2k to $3k can be used for the new cmax.

Salsa Guy

if you don't have to buy a car immediately, wait until the fall to see if the 12 volt battery is resolved. At that time you could also negotiate a better price on a 2013 or buy a 2014.

Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

What supports your guess re the incidence rate? You might want to factor in these posts from a new C-max owner in Michigan earlier this evening:

J M This just happened to me! My 10 day old c-max is completely dead and I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck. I'm beyond furious, and the dealership was zero help.
about an hour ago · 
Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed in 2 days. 16 minutes ago

What supports your guess re the incidence rate? You might want to factor in these posts from a new C-max owner in Michigan earlier this evening:

J M This just happened to me! My 10 day old c-max is completely dead and I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck. I'm beyond furious, and the dealership was zero help.

about an hour ago · 

Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed in 2 days. 16 minutes ago[/size]

Can you provide a link for that quote, because having six C-Max's in the same location fail within 2 days seems remarkable, and more information would be valuable. Where did you find it? Edited by ArizonaEnergi

about an hour ago · 

Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed in 2 days. 16 minutes ago

Yes, please provide a link.

The quotes provided by kbf1 came from a Facebook posting by a woman named Jess Martin, a Chicago resident, in a thread kbf1 started there that links back to this very thread. https://www.facebook.com/FordCMAX?filter=2

It also appears kbf1 is a socket puppet entity on FaceBook, probably set up for the purpose of attacking the C-Max for unknown reasons. Unfortunately they don't have moderators at FB to control the nonsense.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Edit: Too slow.  AE beat me to it.

Google the text and it comes up on Facebook as the first hit.  I don't have an account so I'm no help as to what it says.

I used this.(copy and paste)

J M This just happened to me! My 10 day old c-max is completely dead and I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck. I'm beyond furious, and the dealership was zero help.
about an hour ago · Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed

Can you provide a link for that quote, because having six C-Max's in the same location fail within 2 days seems remarkable, and more information would be valuable. Where did you find it?

Yes, please provide a link.

Edited by Edsel

The quotes provided by kbf1 came from a Facebook posting by a woman named Jess Martin, a Chicago resident, in a thread kbf1 started there that links back to this very thread. https://www.facebook.com/FordCMAX?filter=2

It also appears kbf1 is a socket puppet entity on FaceBook, probably set up for the purpose of attacking the C-Max for unknown reasons. Unfortunately they don't have moderators at FB to control the nonsense.

, Yeah, I found it. on my phone. Seeing it on FB makes it legit, right?   NOT!!!

Edit: Too slow.  AE beat me to it.

Google the text and it comes up on Facebook as the first hit.  I don't have an account so I'm no help as to what it says.

I used this.(copy and paste)

J M This just happened to me! My 10 day old c-max is completely dead and I'm sitting here waiting for a tow truck. I'm beyond furious, and the dealership was zero help.

about an hour ago · Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed

"Tow truck said it is the 6th c-max with same issue he has towed"

I would think that 6 C-Maxes (even SEL's) in range of a single tow truck would make for ONE VERY HAPPY :happy feet:  dealer.

My situation was as a preventative measure as my car was built before Feb 2013. I guess 24 hours in my case ( waiting for valve to come in) may not be that far off. Is battery drain part of the process for cars not showing a dead battery?? I have no tech savvy.

My guess is that battery drain is how you get to a dead 12 V.  So not having a drain would perhaps save you from an unexpected dead battery.  But I'm no engineer.