Battery dead

NHTSA stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

From their web site:

NHTSA was established by the Highway Safety Act of 1970 and is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. It works daily to help prevent crashes and their attendant costs, both human and financial. 

Their mission is to improve vehicle safety, period.  They are not interested in quality problems. To issue a recall the defect must: "cause a sudden and unexpected loss of control of the vehicle"

A dead battery is not a safety issue, in fact it guarantees the car will not be involved in a moving accident.  You're wasting your time bugging NHTSA about battery problems, they have no power to get involved with quality issues, only safety issues.

Does anyone have a contact at Ford who actually knows anything about this issue and how to resolve it? Ford Customer Service is useless. If so, could you please provide the names and contact info.

Have you had the "issue"?  If not, you have no beef.  If yes and you can't get it resolved to your satisfaction, contact any attorney for advice. It's quite simple.

kbf1

have you read the messages on these threads?

Most of us have posted every detail after making numerous phone calls and trips to service departments, with follow up requests for more information. We have posted TSB numbers and details about the TSBs, and details about every repair experience we have had. A couple of posters have written about their experiences in getting a buy back, and others have posted information about the Lemon Laws in various States.

All of this is voluntary and free. It is free of charge to you and none of us get paid. We do it to help each other because perhaps 50 or so of us suffer from a common problem with the 12 volt system.

Where do you get the idea that someone here is witholding information about the cure, or witholding information about the one secret person at Ford who could help?

Meanwhile, what have you contributed? Have you found the diagnosis or the cure or the helpful person at Ford? Have you even posted substantial details about your experiences with 12 volt failure and efforts to get the problem fixed?

Edited by salman

Parallel & in agreement to Salman:

Speaking for myself, I would prefer to keep this site focused on the 12V dead battery & experiences that owners are having. Problems & Ford's "solutions". If you have another agenda, suggest you start or try another site. My 3 cents worth. I'm an old man...

We got our CMax back in February. So we have had it about 3 months and it was running beautifully until Sunday. We went to start the vehicle and it was completely dead. Today we called Roadside service.  They came and tried to jump the car and it would not take the jump. Had to have it towed to the Dealers. They just told us that the battery was dead and it need to be charged. We did call the Ford Customer Service to report the problem. The service department told us that they did not have many reports on this issue. So if you have this problem please call Ford Customer Service (800-392-3673)  to report the problem.

Another useless response. I repeat, how 'bout a useful response from someone who actually knows of someone at Ford who is effective in resolving the C-Max dead battery issue? Unless, of course, if it's a secret!

Is this the 1st forum you've ever participated in????  I assume it is based on the sum total of your 11 posts - 4 of which are identical, irrelevant cross-posts in four different treads and add no value to the content, at three are irrational rants and the others are like "foam on beer" - they occupy space and add little value (please no debate on the value of the head on beer).  Also, even if I knew someone from Ford that I thought might know about the issue, why would I give their contact info to you or anyone. 

If you are not satisfied with your Energi, you have recourse which I suggested to you above (which you thought was useless).  I guarantee that will get Ford's attention and a contact.

Does anyone have a contact at Ford who actually knows anything about this issue and how to resolve it? Ford Customer Service is useless. If so, could you please provide the names and contact info.

Have you had the "issue"?  If not, you have no beef.  If yes and you can't get it resolved to your satisfaction, contact any attorney for advice. It's quite simple.

What did Ford do/say when they worked on your Energi?

kbf1

have you read the messages on these threads?

Most of us have posted every detail after making numerous phone calls and trips to service departments, with follow up requests for more information. We have posted TSB numbers and details about the TSBs, and details about every repair experience we have had. A couple of posters have written about their experiences in getting a buy back, and others have posted information about the Lemon Laws in various States.

All of this is voluntary and free. It is free of charge to you and none of us get paid. We do it to help each other because perhaps 50 or so of us suffer from a common problem with the 12 volt system.

Where do you get the idea that someone here is witholding information about the cure, or witholding information about the one secret person at Ford who could help?

Meanwhile, what have you contributed? Have you found the diagnosis or the cure or the helpful person at Ford? Have you even posted substantial details about your experiences with 12 volt failure and efforts to get the problem fixed?

Another useless response. I repeat, how 'bout a useful response from someone who actually knows of someone at Ford who is effective in resolving the C-Max dead battery issue? Unless, of course, if it's a secret!

Is this the 1st forum you've ever participated in????  I assume it is based on the sum total of your 11 posts - 4 of which are identical, irrelevant cross-posts in four different treads and add no value to the content, at three are irrational rants and the others are like "foam on beer" - they occupy space and add little value (please no debate on the value of the head on beer).  Also, even if I knew someone from Ford that I thought might know about the issue, why would I give their contact info to you or anyone. 

If you are not satisfied with your Energi, you have recourse which I suggested to you above (which you thought was useless).  I guarantee that will get Ford's attention and a contact.

I noticed you haven't voted in the "For those who have had 12v Battery problems" POLL

Has anyone experienced a dead battery after having the latest TSB performed on their C-Max?

kbf1, this is your 1st and only official warning - please refrain from posting multiple, exact same messages on multple threads and stop attacking the posters.

This forum is a sounding board for owners helping one another. As another poster said, we are all volunteers and we want to help but right now, your tone and attitude is NOT condusive to anyone helping you.

You attack the responders and it appears you are not even reading any posts on the threads - which, puts you into the troll category and theres only 1 place where trolls always end up.

Please change your attitude and tone. Like I said, this is your 1st and last warning.

from Ohio

I also prefer a forum that focuses on the issue in a positive manner.

We enjoy our Cmax but it has a problem without a solution.  It's at the dealer and we are in a rental that is being paid for by Ford.  I have zero confidence in the latest TSB that boosts the charging voltage of the battery.  My car has a voltage drain problem, not a voltage charge problem.

We are at the point where we don't want it back until they have a fix.  Ford has a problem that needs to be fixed soon or it will damage the marketability of their hybrid models from both ends, the customer and the dealer.  The Service Manager at my dealership is taking this personally and is extremely frustrated.  I simply want a solution or a replacement that does not have the problem. 

Dead again - after we got our cmax back mid February with the "fixed" wiring harness, it was dead in the water again this morning.  This will be the 4th repair attempt making it their last chance before i can enforce the lemon law and they are refusing to start the paperwork now.  The service manager said that a TSB just came out in the last few days and they want to update the software.  They yet again promise that this is a sure fix.  I'm skeptical.

Anyway, I just wanted to update the forum.

Dead again - after we got our cmax back mid February with the "fixed" wiring harness, it was dead in the water again this morning.  This will be the 4th repair attempt making it their last chance before i can enforce the lemon law and they are refusing to start the paperwork now.  The service manager said that a TSB just came out in the last few days and they want to update the software.  They yet again promise that this is a sure fix.  I'm skeptical.

Anyway, I just wanted to update the forum.

flatbat, read this thread and ask the dealer to check the connectors referenced in the post.  IMHO, the two TSB (including the new DC/DC converter software update) likely will only mask the "real" problem.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Flatbat

My car is the one for which Ford engineers specified several electrical connectors to check for water intrusion, referenced above by Plus 3 Golfer.

Would you please remind us of the details about the wiring harness that was "fixed" on your car? Was it repaired or replaced? Do you have any identifying information about the harness on your service paperwork? A part number or description? Any mention of electrical connectors? This information will tell us all whether the harness worked on in your car was the same as the one worked on in mine. That would be very useful information for us to know and be able to give to service managers.

If your service manager is promising you that this or that repair will permenantly fix the dead battery problem, then he is not very good at his job. The problem is that no one can know that we have a permanent fix until after the passage of a considerable amount of time. The reason for this is that our dead battery problem is a problem of durability - will the battery maintain charge over days, weeks, months? Some of our dead battery episodes happen in rapid succession, but quite a few are spread over months. Therefore we cannot know if the problem is truly fixed until after several months pass by without incident.

Until we have a track record of many months with no more dead batteries, the best that any mechanic or engineer can do is to successively hunt down possible cause for the dead battery problem and eliminate those causes, and watch what happens after each potential cause is eliminated to see if there is a relapse. A good service manager would tell you that and show you that he or she and Ford are doing their best to get to the bottom of the problem.

Meanwhile, we have to deal with this process until such time as there is a solution or such time that we can invoke state lemon laws. In between, a good dealership should do its best to ease the burden on us by offering a free rental or courtesy car. they are not required to do it, but by reports on this forum it seems that most dealerships will do this. Ford should do it because they are indeed racing the clock to preserve the reputation of their hybrid cars.

I am not surprised that your dealer will not yet begin paperwork for a buy back. I wouldn't push the issue until you have reached the number of repair attempts (or other criteria) required by your State's law. But I would get all the paperwork ready on my own end and be read-up on the local law and processes so that you can make the best case possible when you approach Foord for a buy back.

The reported cases of buy backs presented on this forum indicate that Ford has been pretty good about it so far.

Question to flatbat

I'm assuming you parked your car last night after it ran fine all day and the battery was dead this morning.  If so, that follows the 5  time I have gone out to use my car and found it dead.  It points to one of the computer modules starting up in the middle of the night and directing something to draw current.    I'm guessing the EVAP system but it's speculation on my part.  

@salman:  During the third repair attempt i wrote an official letter informing Ford and the dealer of my intention to invoke the lemon law once the conditions have been met.  Such a letter is in my state part of the process.  Prior to the letter service was poor and breakdowns were blamed on me ("user error").  After the letter, service got better.  I have the paper work at home, but if i recall correctly, the audio harness was replaced.

@Plus 3 Golfer:  thanks, i'll read up on that.

"...a good dealership should do its best to ease the burden on us by offering a free rental or courtesy car. they are not required to do it, but by reports on this forum it seems that most dealerships will do this. Ford should do it because they are indeed racing the clock to preserve the reputation of their hybrid cars."

When my car had the battery issue the Ford dealer who worked on it (not the dealer who sold me the car) got me a rental that day.  They kept the car for over a month until the TSB care in to fix the issue.  They billed the rental to Ford.  If they didn't cover the rental I would have been very upset to say the least.  I'm leasing my C-max so I guess I can do an extra road trip now.  I did a Vegas trip and a trip to Eureka on Ford's dime (except for gas) :rockon: