Battery dead

From my service ticket:

"Checked (&) found battery dead, charged and tested.

Battery passes load test. Performed latest TSB per Ford hotline 13-7-10.

Let sit for multiple days. Checked for draws. None above allowed limits."

Sit time was close to 3 days...

Service foreman said there was <0.10v drop in voltage.

Unless I hear from someone in this site that has had this TSB done & later had a dead 12V battery,

I plan on giving Ford & the CMAX 1 last chance! Another (5th) dead 12V battery in

say < 1 year from now, & I shall toss in the towel, request a buyback & buy an Escape.

Sidebar: Just got a check ala FedEx from Ford for $550.00

with the explanation it was for their reduction in mpg for the CMAX from 47 mpg to 43 mpg.

This helped salve my 'wounds' a bit...

Don we did have this TSB performed on our vehicle and 1 month later the car was dead again, in the morning, in our garage.

We previously received a $400 check from Ford for all of our troubles after our 2nd dead battery.  We are also awaiting our $550 check from Ford and am very happy to hear you received yours already!  :dance: On a side note, our dealership has been awesome to us.  We have had a rental everytime we've had a dead battery and have had one for the past month, while they have our cmax.

You got a $400 check for your 12v battery troubles?  Has anyone else received a check for this?  I don't recall this being mentioned in any previous 12v battery messaged.

We called the headquarters and complained, it was a goodwill gesture payment for all of our troubles.  

You got a $400 check for your 12v battery troubles?  Has anyone else received a check for this?  I don't recall this being mentioned in any previous 12v battery messaged.

This has gone on SO LONG that I can't help but think.

Ford is taking these sick cars out of their dirty, clean, wet, dry, hot, cold, rough, smooth, drive it every day, drive it once a week environment and moving them to a nice warm cool comfortable lab, scratch their heads and wonder

" :runaway: WHY DON'T THEY DIE :runaway: "

Barn48 said: "Don, we had all of the TSB's done since we started having dead batteries and we still continued to have dead batteries. Our car has been at the dealer for 1 month now. We are currently waiting on our buyback, which we are very close to finalizing. They told me that my SYNC, when using my phone through the SYNC, did not shut off and they performed a TSB that was to fix the problem, but a month later we had a dead car again. We too bought it for the 47 mpg, since we are running 4 kids around town. We didn't sign up for or use the Ford Sync My Ride (until the last month of ownership), we only used it for hands free phone calls. Good Luck with your exchange or buyback!

Question: Was the 13-7-10 performed? This is a fairly recent TSB...

I have not used the SYNC My Ride feature, not do I intend doing so.

I am surprised you received a $400 check from Ford after the 2nd dead battery! Sure wonder what their "policy" is & who makes the decision. Did your dealer get the ball rolling on this???

Barn48 said: "Don, we had all of the TSB's done since we started having dead batteries and we still continued to have dead batteries. Our car has been at the dealer for 1 month now. We are currently waiting on our buyback, which we are very close to finalizing. They told me that my SYNC, when using my phone through the SYNC, did not shut off and they performed a TSB that was to fix the problem, but a month later we had a dead car again. We too bought it for the 47 mpg, since we are running 4 kids around town. We didn't sign up for or use the Ford Sync My Ride (until the last month of ownership), we only used it for hands free phone calls. Good Luck with your exchange or buyback!

Question: Was the 13-7-10 performed? This is a fairly recent TSB...

I have not used the SYNC My Ride feature, not do I intend doing so.

I am surprised you received a $400 check from Ford after the 2nd dead battery! Sure wonder what their "policy" is & who makes the decision. Did your dealer get the ball rolling on this???

we had the tsb done even before it was officially published (about a month before it came out)!

and we called headquarters and had a case started, asked to speak to a supervisor who could do something for us and she offered, as a good will gesture, to reimburse us the amount of a car payment. our car dealer service manager has been working with us and Ford.  he has really taken care of us and put our interests first! he's the best! 

Well today I just went ahead and bought a Clore portable jump starter even though we have had no problems-- 41tQRd3RCUL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY115_SX115_.jp  a little extra peace of mind for $75.

I would invest in a good charger.  I've been using this $45 dollar charger for the last two years.

It's foolproof and conditions the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ship%20n%20shore%20speed%20charge%20ssc-1500a&sprefix=ship+n+sho%2Caps%2C773

41fdlwz5chL._AA220_.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

Very helpful posts! I called Ford customer Service about my situation. Had a very nice, congenial talk with a gal who started a case.

(No offer for $400 for my trouble...) She said someone would call me in <3 days about the situation. A couple hours later I got a call from a regional mgr. That did not go as well! He really hadn't done his homework before making the call, didn't know I had the CMAX at home from servicing, felt the problem had been "fixed", & on and on. Not a satisfying call!

My problem. The regional mgr. felt I needed to examine the KY Lemon Law to see what it said. I told him I just had my 4th dead battery but hoped it was fixed with the latest TSB (13-7-10). OH...He didn't seem to know the number was the date of issue of the TSB which I believe is the case, so seems like July 10 to me! Right?

BAM48's post does not give me a warm feeling about this!!! THX, I think, Bam48!

I downloaded the KY Lemon law. I am no lawyer, but believe the condition that has not been resolved in 4 attempts needs to be reported to the manufacturer (FORD) IN WRITING, within the 1st 12 months after delivery or 12,000 miles. Whichever comes 1st. The "Dispute" needs to be resolved within 25,000 miles or 2 years.

I got the CMAX on 12/13/12. If I read the 'law' correctly, I need to write FORD before 12/13/13 if I want to (try) to use the KY Lemon Law. I say this in case others

are contemplating something similar, I think the claim needs to be made, in writing, within the 1st 12 months (or 12,000 miles)!

My last dead battery (4th time) took 5 months to occur after my 3rd dead battery. So if it happens again in, say, 4-6 months, I believe I will then be beyond the 12 months timeframe & can no longer exercise the Lemon Law.

Others out there have an opinion on all of this???

*** Update: I just talked with the KY Attorney General's office. He confirmed I needed to put something in writing to Ford about this before the 12 months are up (so in the next 2 months), or the Lemon Law no longer applies. He also mentioned that the "condition" has to reduce the sale value of the car in order to use this law...

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Afterthought. PapaJ mentions he got a portable Clore charger. For piece of mind. One of my biggest concerns is being away from home in a parking lot somewhere & finding a dead battery. I like the suggestion of a portable jump charger (like the tow truck guy who used one on my 4th dead battery). This is more preferable to me than continually 'tweaking' it at home. Suggestions for a specific Clore portable model?

I think I read Clore 300XL? A check at Amazon lists it at $65 with no shipping charge. A 'good' choice?

Edited by Don O.

Aren't those jump starters overkill for the C-Max? Remember that the 12v battery in the C-Max is only there to close switches and connect the HV battery to the rest of the electronics. That's relatively low current stuff. It does not have to crank a starter motor like in a conventional automobile and therefore doesn't need a traditional "jump start".

All you should have to do with a dead 12v battery in the C-Max is connect another 12v source to the posts under the hood. Another 12v battery would accomplish this. Just touching 12v to the posts should be enough to power up the car. I have never had to do this in my car so someone with more experience can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Aren't those jump starters overkill for the C-Max?

The ones that will crank a starter motor are.  All that is needed are the types that will recharge a dead battery over time, which in the case of the C-Max will just provide enough 12v to start the electronics up.  I was going to buy one but haven't had any battery problems since buying 9 months ago so I didn't.  Example of this type of device (updated): http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Emergency-Starter-Miles-Kimball/dp/B007KDFXNO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VYZFBVSO1X0Y&coliid=I3JZPM7YY845V

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Follow-on. OK, jump the dead battery. In most instances, is that all that will be needed? My ignorance here. Now the CMAX is running, will the 12V battery charge enough when you are driving to bring its charge up sufficiently...until the next time it is sitting for a couple of days & goes dead? How long a drive generally will be enough?

Bam48: Do you use the SYNC function 'often'?

Anecdote. Was running some errands today, had thingees on my mind, stopped at the bank, came out & my CMAX was locked & wouldn't open? Pressed several buttons. No go. Tried the key. Didn't work. Da*! it! Pressed the button to open the hatch door. 2 cars away the hatch opened! Guess a Senior moment.

Edited by Don O.

Follow-on. OK, jump the dead battery. In most instances, is that all that will be needed? My ignorance here. Now the CMAX is running, will the 12V battery charge enough when you are driving to bring its charge up sufficiently...until the next time it is sitting for a couple of days & goes dead? How long a drive generally will be enough?

Bam48: Do you use the SYNC function 'often'?

Anecdote. Was running some errands today, had thingees on my mind, stopped at the bank, came out & my CMAX was locked & wouldn't open? Pressed several buttons. No go. Tried the key. Didn't work. Da*! it! Pressed the button to open the hatch door. 2 cars away the hatch opened! Guess a Senior moment.

So, you have a twin in your neighborhood Don O......

ArizonaEnergi? I went to the Amazon link you posted.

Here is one review:

"I just opened the package and turned on the switch on the cord to verify that the light illuminated... which it did. Since I only needed one Jump Up and bought a 2 pack, I took the 3 screws out of the top of one unit and removed the cover. I was shocked to find 20 LR6AM3 Alkaline, single-use batteries inside.

The instructions for this Jump Up say that the unit can be recharged by plugging it into your 12V outlet. I just emailed customersupport@valuequest.biz, which is the email address listed on the product sticker, and it bounced. The website listed on the package is also dead ([...]
I've got a bad feeling about this."

Doesn't give me a warm feeling... :drop:

ArizonaEnergi? I went to the Amazon link you posted.

Here is one review:

"I just opened the package and turned on the switch on the cord to verify that the light illuminated... which it did. Since I only needed one Jump Up and bought a 2 pack, I took the 3 screws out of the top of one unit and removed the cover. I was shocked to find 20 LR6AM3 Alkaline, single-use batteries inside.

The instructions for this Jump Up say that the unit can be recharged by plugging it into your 12V outlet. I just emailed customersupport@valuequest.biz, which is the email address listed on the product sticker, and it bounced. The website listed on the package is also dead ([...]

I've got a bad feeling about this."

Doesn't give me a warm feeling... :drop:

Sorry, I didn't include that as a recommendation, just an example of what's out there.  This is the one that I actually favored but it had a warning about excessive heat that might be a problem for storing in a car.  Nevertheless, its the one I would have bought: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Simple-Start-Battery-Booster/dp/B005GO5E10/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1VYZFBVSO1X0Y&coliid=I3LPACAE4FTIDS

BTW, your story about trying to open the wrong car was very funny.  These things all look alike!  We solved the problem by sticking an orange "76" ball on the antenna!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I keep one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002J8LMVC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item in the C-Max but haven't had to use it.

I bought a big one because my pickup has been semi-retired now that the C-Max is here and I wanted to be able to jump it as well. So far the only use it's had is to run a portable air pump that I used on the well pressure tank and the tractor tires.

So I was looking in my center console for something and noticed my thumbdrive LED would flash, stop and flash again.

I spotted it while the car was on yesterday, but didn't pay much attention to it.  This time the car is off. I have the Sony Audio

system and also have my iPod plugged into the second USB port. When I unplugged the iPod, the display screen flashed on.

Looks like I'll be doing the parasitic load to test next.  This could very well be why my 12V SOC drops to 50% over a short

period of time.  I'll run my tests ASAP.

Here's the thread from the Energi Forum

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1645-12-volt-battery-soc/

Edited by drdiesel1

Aren't those jump starters overkill for the C-Max? Remember that the 12v battery in the C-Max is only there to close switches and connect the HV battery to the rest of the electronics. That's relatively low current stuff. It does not have to crank a starter motor like in a conventional automobile and therefore doesn't need a traditional "jump start".

All you should have to do with a dead 12v battery in the C-Max is connect another 12v source to the posts under the hood. Another 12v battery would accomplish this. Just touching 12v to the posts should be enough to power up the car. I have never had to do this in my car so someone with more experience can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

A jumper box is nothing more than a 12V battery with a built in charger and two cables. Hooking it to the jumper stud under the hood will give the 12V battery enough juice to active the control modules and allow the system to close the latching contacts, allowing the car to start.

However!  Not properly charging the battery with a battery charger will not allow the system to return to a full charge, as the DC/DC converter isn't designed to bring the battery to a full charge state. This will require a charger like the one in my link. Always use a smart/micro processor charger so you don't damage the battery and cause more damage to the vehicle and it's systems.

Edited by drdiesel1

update:  since we got the cmax back about a month ago (after they fixed the pinched wiring harness), we've not had any more incidents.  I'm still not willing to trust the car fully, but i'm getting there. and gas milage is getting much better now that the heater is getting used less.  good luck everyone.

Flatbat,

After several dead battery incidents, a Ford engineer has authorized changing the wiring harness, a costly item.  Despite the software "fixes" during the past months, the battery once again died last week.  I'm wondering if your wiring harness fix has been the answer over time.  Would appreciate a reply.  Thanks.  jchaddpete

Education on the 12V battery please. Fully charged, should you get a reading of about 12.6V?

How much drain can it tolerate before no lights come on & you can not start 'anything' without a jump? 

I see there is a cheap 12V digital monitor (Innova 3721; $14) you can plug into the 12V outlet and get a digital reading. Would seem like a possible useful device especially if you don't want to open the hood and get a multimeter direct reading. Winter is a'coming... Assume you need to be able to have the CMAX running (at least ignition on) in order to use this.

Thoughts on these?

Education on the 12V battery please. Fully charged, should you get a reading of about 12.6V?

How much drain can it tolerate before no lights come on & you can not start 'anything' without a jump? 

I see there is a cheap 12V digital monitor (Innova 3721; $14) you can plug into the 12V outlet and get a digital reading. Would seem like a possible useful device especially if you don't want to open the hood and get a multimeter direct reading. Winter is a'coming... Assume you need to be able to have the CMAX running (at least ignition on) in order to use this.

Thoughts on these?

If the car is turned on/run position, the HV battery will be charging the 12V battery via the DC/DC converter.

So my USB thumb drive and my iPod have been plugged into the USB ports.  I found my thumb drive being pinged, even with the system off. My iPod was also being charged as far as I can tell. I didn't verify it. I was more concerned with the system continually staying awake and pinging my thumb drive.  I'm hoping this was the cause of my 12V batteries SOC issue.  I removed both units from my USB port 2 days ago. My battery voltage was 12.64V when tested 2 days ago. I tested the SOC and it was @ 70%

I'm currently charging the battery back to 100% SOC and will monitor the 12V battery condition over the next 2 weeks to see if it's a viable fix. Only time will tell, but I'm pretty confident it will enable the system to stay at a more normal rate. 

I'm hoping for at least 75%. 85% would be great, IMO :love_shower:

Edited by drdiesel1