Battery dead

YES!!! That way you have service records and then Ford will exchange or buyback a LEMON vehicle!!!! Why would you pay that much for something and not make the company accountable for their error?????

Not to mention, it's NOT just the BATTERY - there is something WRONG with some of the CMax vehicles and Ford needs to know about them so they can FIX the problem!!!!!!!

Also, grandpanooter, PLEASE use your auto lights, if this is the issue, then Ford will find out and then they can solve the issue.  If you are not using the vehicle how it is intended to be used, Ford will never know  what the issues are and the problems will never get corrected.

:lol: This is most entertaining.

Edited by drdiesel1

We have a 2013 CMAX SEL.  At about 7000 miles the battery was dead.  I called Ford Roadside Assistance for jump.  The instant the jumper cable was attached I had power and then could start the car.  We had other issues with startup noise and took it to a dealer in Corpus Christi, also mentioned to shop foreman about battery problem.  He asked me why I didn't take it in immediately.  I explained that we live over 80 miles from nearest dealer and that taking it in isn't always convenient.  Anyway they tried to fix noise, performed 13B06B and 13B07B and checked the battery, found it bad and replaced it, all on warrenty.  That was on 29 August.  Today is 29 Sept, 2013 and car was completely dead again. I called Ford Roadside Assistance again and they jumped started it again (they must come the 80 miles one way to jump). Of course it started right up.  Tomorrow I'm taking it back to the Dealer in Corpus Christi.  I really don't know what to expect but I want to either get this fixed or get them to Buy this car Back.  We really like the car and would like to keep it but not with these kinds of problems.  By the way, this is an Auto-Nation dealership.  Has anyone had any issues with AutoNation providing rentals at their own cost?

Mod edited and comment: the wordings were "strucked out" so I remove the striking to make the post more readable.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I had my last dead battery, the 4th one, at the end of June. This was 6 weeks after the recommended TSB updates back than. Because of the battery issues, I've been making mental notes what did I use or did different that might've caused the dead battery. Since the last dead, I have not used my CD player. So, I am wondering, and hoping, that maybe the Cd player does not shut down properly..... I will be taking in my c-max soon for the first 5000 miles check up and will mention it. But since it has been working great I am hesitant to do the recalls as well. BTW I am getting 39.8 right now, mostly city driving.

I had my last dead battery, the 4th one, at the end of June. This was 6 weeks after the recommended TSB updates back than. Because of the battery issues, I've been making mental notes what did I use or did different that might've caused the dead battery. Since the last dead, I have not used my CD player. So, I am wondering, and hoping, that maybe the Cd player does not shut down properly..... I will be taking in my c-max soon for the first 5000 miles check up and will mention it. But since it has been working great I am hesitant to do the recalls as well. BTW I am getting 39.8 right now, mostly city driving.

You need to let them to the recalls as well as update all the control modules. It's software designed to correct known problems.

drdiesel1 we all know that the recalls are designed to improve things, but there are a few of us that have had cars that work perfectly.  Then we read about all the screw ups when people have gone in for the recalls so that makes us drag our heels.  It is not lack of knowledge about the recalls.  It is fear that we will be one of the ones who have a dealership servicing nightmare and there are many documented on the forum.  I am finally booked for the 16th, but I am worried about outcome as is my husband.  Only two hybrids have been sold there since we bought last November so one naturally wonders about expertise.

I dropped our CMAX at the Auto Nation dealership in Corpus Christi (which is Ford and Mazda) and they loaned me a brand new Mazda SUV with only 2000 miles.  They believe it will take all week to find the problem.  Service point of sale fellow mentioned that they knew nothing about this battery problem.  I provided him the TSB and referenced him to this thread. 

By the way, most of our driving is hiway.  I drove the 80 miles to Corpus Christi yesterday at a steady 55 miles per hour.  Managed 40.2 on that trip.  However at 8000 miles our average is 35.8 mpg. 

Just thought I'd give an update on our dead battery experience. On Jan. 21,2013 when out to start C-Max and wouldn't start. No dash lights. Nothing electrical functioning. Towed to dealer. Diagnosis was a defective cranking battery in rear hatch cover that would not hold charge. Battery was replaced. Mileage 3,797.  C-Max now has over 16,000 miles with no problems since battery replacement. Never thought much about it at the time, but had run the C-Max through the car wash the day before it died. Remember because when wiping down with towel at home the horn beeped twice when wiping back up sensors on rear bumper. Also later in the day the radio stayed on after key was removed and and door opened. Had to reinsert key and remove again for radio to shut off. Like I said, never thought much about it at the time, but have since seen where similar incidents happen to others. Don't know if replacement battery fixed it, car wash infiltrated wiring, or have just been lucky. Hopefully one of the first two! Thought others might find this interesting since there was the one incident and it has been over 12,000 miles and over 8 months without further incident since replacing battery. Also have since run it through car wash several times and never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Love my C-Max - 44 mpg overall without any radical changes in driving habits - just enjoyable to drive. Good luck to all with battery problems.

Well as a review. Bought the CMAX SE in mid Dec. 2012. Had three 12V battery problems (dead). 1 each on mid-Jan. 2013, mid Feb. 2013 & 1st week of May 2013.

Been just fine since...until today (Oct. 4, 2013). So now the 4th time with nothing electrical working. Open the door & no lights go on. Put key in ignition. No response. No lights what-so-ever. I have a call into my service dealer to see what they want to do. Service mgr. to come out to look at it? That may be the case. My dealer has been good about things. Either a free loan car, or can shuttle back & forth from the dealership. Bummer!!!

I have printed the post just above about the defective cranking battery in the rear hatch. Over the last couple of days, I did hear a "noise" in the rear of the Cmax 

went the car had been turned off. Whirring stayed on for awhile. Issue related to "that"???

I am a low mileage driver and only have some 4200 miles on it since Dec. 2012. My overall ave. mpg has gone from 36 initially to over 40 now. That is the main reason I bought it. I really do like the Cmax except for this battery problem!

I believe I can jump it with my small battery charger, but am waiting to hear from the dealership.

Edited by Don O.

1st year models always have problems and most people understand this. Some don't and get excited when the car isn't working properly.

If you heard something running in the back after powering off the car, remember to tell the dealer about it. It could be the cause of the problem and without telling them, they'll most likely miss it.  It sounds like an intermittent fault with something staying powered on after shutdown. It's entirely possible that a relay could be sticking for the battery ventilation fan or the controller could have a problem.

I haven't had a problem with mine, but I monitor my battery. I have charged it 4 times since I purchased the car.

I've tested the battery also. It's tested good up to 600 CCA. It's only rated @ 390CCA.

The DC/DC charging system seems to function properly, but my 12V battery will drop to a 50% SOC over a 2 to 3 week period. Having a battery remain in an undercharged state will shorten it's life and make is susceptible to sudden failure from intermittent system faults.

The battery is already compromised by being at a lower state of charge (SOC) and any added voltage draw (load) can kill it if the vehicle isn't operated over a period of time. Because the 12V battery isn't used to start the vehicle as in a conventional car, you'll never notice it becoming discharged until it's dead and won't power the 12V systems.  This is my main reason for monitoring and charging it.

I know as a new car owner, it's not up to you to do this, but until they can find the cause of the problem(s) it might be in your best interest to get yourself a proper charger and do the same. It's a first year model and they always have bugs that need to be ironed out.

The only way to make the car reliable is to regularly monitor and charge the battery to avoid the problem, until there's a solution.

Here's the charger I have been using for the last two years. It's cheap and fool proof!

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1500A-SpeedCharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B000H961YI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380909790&sr=8-1&keywords=shipnshore+battery+charger

I would also inform the dealer of this and make sure it's notated on your repair order as well. Don't let them know and let it slide without having proper documentation in "WRITING" on your R.O., if you choose to take my advise.

Otherwise, you're eligible for the  LEMON law action as long as you have documentation with 3 attempts to repair it.

I won't be forcing any issue's at this time. I love my car and will wait to see what fixes become available.

Charging my 12V battery every two weeks isn't a big deal. I charge my HVB every night :victory:

Edited by drdiesel1

drdiesel1 said: "If you heard something running in the back after powering off the car, remember to tell the dealer about it. It could be the cause of the problem and without telling them, they'll most likely miss it. It sounds like an intermittent fault with something staying powered on after shutdown. It's entirely possible that a relay could be sticking for the battery ventilation fan or the controller could have a problem."

When the Cmax was picked up, I called the dealer & told the service fellow that has handled my case from the start about a whirring noise the last couple of days in the rear after the car had been turned off. He answered that it could be a cooling fan was just operating, but would check. The tow-truck fellow had to mini-jump it to get it out of park & then no other charging took place. That was what I was told to do by the dealer. It is now at the dealer. Since it is Friday afternoon, I am guessing they might not find anything wrong (that they can identify) but will want to keep it until Monday to see how it acts after not being started for a couple of days.

I have an old 6v/12v 6 amp charger (that I have used for years on my old tractor). In the 1st dead battery instance, it was used in order to get it out of park & it was driven onto the roll-back towtruck. The 2nd & 3rd failure dead battery instances, the Cmax was jump-started using it in order to drive it to the dealer. The charger is not portable (requires a 120v connection) so I do not feel it is something I want to depend upon should the dead battery occur while I am not at home!

Sidebar. I just looked at my dealers inventory. He has 11 2013 CMaxs. The mpg on the stickers has been changed on the non-Energi models!

It now shows 43 overall, with 45 city and 40 highway! Instead of the 47 with 47/47!

I have an old 6v/12v 6 amp charger (that I have used for years on my old tractor). In the 1st dead battery instance, it was used in order to get it out of park & it was driven onto the roll-back towtruck. The 2nd & 3rd failure dead battery instances, the Cmax was jump-started using it in order to drive it to the dealer. The charger is not portable (requires a 120v connection) so I do not feel it is something I want to depend upon should the dead battery occur while I am not at home!

That's not the charger you want to use to charge the C-Max. It works to get the car started, but it's not something you want to leave connected for charging. It sounds like it's not regulated and has no ability to auto shut-off. 

That's not good. It can do more harm than good.

I wasn't talking about keeping in your vehicle to charge the battery. I was talking about using it about once a week while at home to charge.

This should eliminate any possibility of having the dead battery syndrome.  It's something you should consider until they have a 100% fix.

I just updated my IDS software yesterday. Version # 87.01 was released on Oct. 2nd.  I haven't found any new updates since

the 1st Aug. release. I doubt the dealer will find anything, but you vehicle might have a new release available ?

Mine is an Energi, so it's calibration set should have some minor differences for 12V charging system ???

Edited by drdiesel1

Update. As I suspected, the tech at the dealership found the 12V battery had no problems. Since there was no actual charging time involved (the jump was only for about a minute), it is not clear to me what is happening. Tech did perform another (new) TSB. I will not learn which one for 2 days.

Tech wants to talk to Ford, which will happen in 2 days (Monday 10/07/13). I plan on having a serious discussion with the salesman/dealership.

Question for anyone. My CMAX was purchased in Dec. 2012. Are more recent builds (say after 4-5/13) still experiencing 12V battery (dead) issues?

I have not used my 12V charger to actually charge the battery. I simply have hooked it up for a matter of a  minute or two to jump-start the car when I experienced no power. I am an old man, living alone & have the CMAX as my only car. I don't want to/plan on having to maintain/charge an automobile battery in order to be able to use it.

Update. As I suspected, the tech at the dealership found the 12V battery had no problems. Since there was no actual charging time involved (the jump was only for about a minute), it is not clear to me what is happening. Tech did perform another (new) TSB. I will not learn which one for 2 days.

Tech wants to talk to Ford, which will happen in 2 days (Monday 10/07/13). I plan on having a serious discussion with the salesman/dealership.

Question for anyone. My CMAX was purchased in Dec. 2012. Are more recent builds (say after 4-5/13) still experiencing 12V battery (dead) issues?

I have not used my 12V charger to actually charge the battery. I simply have hooked it up for a matter of a  minute or two to jump-start the car when I experienced no power. I am an old man, living alone & have the CMAX as my only car. I don't want to/plan on having to maintain/charge an automobile battery in order to be able to use it.

A big problem with all of today's vehicles comes from 12V battery issue's for older drivers. They don't use the car as much and without some type of battery maintenance, they have problems. Today's vehicles are computers with wheels. They rely on the 12V battery to maintain a memory  for all control modules. The C-Max also uses networking for cloud communications.  Having a small (390cca) battery will cause problems without having some type of battery maintainer if you don't drive the car regularly. It's not just the C-Max.  I have seen this for years with Cadillac.  Most caddy owners are older and don't drive much, so the batteries are always low and cause problems. It's a fact of life with all new cars and added loads will kill the battery that much faster when the battery is already low.

Edited by drdiesel1

Don take a look at the "Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls" sub forum, it's close to the bottom of the HOME page.

Here are links to some of the battery related threads in the "Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls" sub forum.

The first and last links are the ones that will probably resolve your problem.

You might want to print the last one, it tells which elec. connectors are suspect.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2651-tsb-13-7-10-12-volt-battery-discharged-will-not-hold-charge-radio-with-42-inch-display-only-built-on-or-before-6212013/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2370-tsb-13-6-23-updates-tsb-13-5-1-hybrid-and-energi-cold-weather-charging-improvements/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2428-ssm-32298-2013-c-max-fusionmkz-hybridenergi-possible-water-intrusion-in-connectors/?hl=water

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1841-12-volt-battery-tsb-5962-or-fsa-13a01/

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1921-dead-12-volt-water-in-electrical-connectors/

Don wab sent some good references.  I can totally appreciate where you are coming from as our C-Max is our only car too.  And hubby is 66 and I am 64.  I don't think the issues have anything to do with seniors not using their cars causing the issues.  Many have talked about being able to leave their cars for several weeks while flying off on holidays.  From what I read, the techs are still trying to get to the source of the problems and haven't achieved total success.  It seems like they think they have it licked and then another batch of dead batteries appear.  Don I do believe that I have read about dead batteries in cars built in the New Year.  The majority still seem to be with the SE.  However some SEL's have been hit too.  I think you should tell your salesman and manager what you said here i.e. you live alone and need to be able to count on your car and not have to worry about having to jump the 12V.  Good luck and keep us informed on how things go.  If I was the head of Ford I would give you a spanking new C-Max.

Thx folk. Wab & Laurel in particular. TSB 13-7-10 would seem to be a likely candidate for what was probably just done on my CMAX at the dealer. I shall find out in a day. If this wasn't done, I shall request it be looked into.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Ok. Has anyone had TSB (13-7-10) done & then had a dead 12V battery? I would really like to know about that!

*************************************************************************************************************************************

After 4 "dead" 12V batteries that have checked out to be ok with just a mini-jump, I am headed to asking for a full refund & will look seriously at getting a new Escape, instead, from my dealer who has serviced my cars since 1987. (My prior car was a 2006 Escape, which is now my son's car).

For whatever, I am 75 and have driven cars for some 60 years. I don't use the high techie stuff in my car. That is not what it is used for for me & was not the reason I bought the CMAX. It was for the 47mpg! I do drive the CMAX every day or 2 on errands. Just not very far. Perhaps 15-20 miles each time.

Laurel: My wife of 49 years died of cancer 3 years ago...

Don I am so sorry about your wife.  I have been married to my husband for 45 years.  I was just 19 when we got married.  He was a young 21 year old Canadian Air Force pilot and I was a nursing student.  We just got lucky as we only knew one another six weeks before we decided to get married.  My biggest fear in life is losing him.  I cannot imagine how hard it is for you to be without your wife after 49 years.  Hubby and I are like a pair of bonded swans or some such thing. I'm sure you know what I mean.LOL  I think the idea of you getting an Escape sounds like a good one.  I am not into the high tech stuff myself.  My eyes glaze over when people start talking about it. We drive our C-Max about the same way you drive yours---a couple of trips a day.  Best of luck getting things worked out.  And keep us posted please.

Thx Laurel. I am happy for you. High techie stuff? I am not a low tech person, & wrote my 1st computer program in 1962. ( I have degrees in physics, Math. & statistics.) I have been using MS Flight Simulator for many years. But for me, the car is meant to get from one place to another, not to talk to people or do other things. I have enough to deal with to avoid the speedy people who are not paying attention to what they are doing! I like driving the CMAX. It seems to handle well.

I have a call into my dealer. Will feed back what I find out.    

A few points of reference, as this has wandered into territory my C-Max would recognize. I don't think this car has seen a dealer since delivery (none of the warranty service has been done)... but it is an SEL.

I inherited Porter from my Father-in-law, its namesake, who was in his 80's when he bought it last October. My Mother-in-law had passed away that January, and he just took his Ford SUV and Marlea's Prius to the dealer and asked for what he'd get in an even-up trade.

In 8 months of driving, he went nearly 6K miles. The car's in great shape, save for the driver's side rear door sill, which is beat up from him putting his walker in the back seat. Old is not a synonym for inactive.

When he passed away, the car sat idle for 4 weeks. No issues resulted from storage. Not all C-Max's have battery issues.

So, what am I doing wrong that my battery's fine? I've even left small loads on over a weekend (rear 12V socket is not switched with igntion or door locks) without noticing a reduction in battery performance or car reliability. At this point, it's been 100% (knock wood), but it's seeing the dealer next week. We'll see!

HAve fun,

Frank

Question. Some posts speak to the SYNC system staying on. Help me with this. Is the function of the SYNC system to permit you to use the navigation, mobile devices and other such thingees? Can it simply be turned off & not be functional if I don't use any of these? :worship:

After some checking (I don't have the owner's manual here. It is in the CMAX at the dealer right now), Seems like "SYNC" has more functions than just the above? Well I just downloaded the owner's manual. It says SYNC is a communication system. Is the associated computer working/activated

even though I am not using it? I have not set up an account.

In case others may have this question also. I called the SYNC line at Ford. Person I talked with said it could not be "turned off" even if I was not using the communication portion. Part of the (integrated) software, I guess...

Edited by Don O.

From my service ticket:
     "Checked (&) found battery dead, charged and tested.
 Battery passes load test. Performed latest TSB per Ford hotline 13-7-10.
 Let sit for multiple days. Checked for draws. None above allowed limits."

Sit time was close to 3 days...
Service foreman said there was <0.10v drop in voltage.
Unless I hear from someone in this site that has had this TSB done & later had a dead 12V battery,
I plan on giving Ford & the CMAX 1 last chance! Another (5th) dead 12V battery in
say < 1 year from now, & I shall toss in the towel, request a buyback & buy an Escape.

Sidebar: Just got a check ala FedEx from Ford for $550.00
with the explanation it was for their reduction in mpg for the CMAX from 47 mpg to 43 mpg.
This helped salve my 'wounds' a bit...

Thx folk. Wab & Laurel in particular. TSB 13-7-10 would seem to be a likely candidate for what was probably just done on my CMAX at the dealer. I shall find out in a day. If this wasn't done, I shall request it be looked into.

Ok. Has anyone had TSB (13-7-10) done & then had a dead 12V battery? I would really like to know about that!

After 4 "dead" 12V batteries that have checked out to be ok with just a mini-jump, I am headed to asking for a full refund & will look seriously at getting a new Escape, instead, from my dealer who has serviced my cars since 1987. (My prior car was a 2006 Escape, which is now my son's car).

For whatever, I am 75 and have driven cars for some 60 years. I don't use the high techie stuff in my car. That is not what it is used for for me & was not the reason I bought the CMAX. It was for the 47mpg! I do drive the CMAX every day or 2 on errands. Just not very far. Perhaps 15-20 miles each time.

Laurel: My wife of 49 years died of cancer 3 years ago...

Don, we had all of the TSB's done since we started having dead batteries and we still continued to have dead batteries. Our car has been at the dealer for 1 month now.  We are currently waiting on our buyback, which we are very close to finalizing.  They told me that my SYNC, when using my phone through the SYNC, did not shut off and they performed a TSB that was to fix the problem, but a month later we had a dead car again. We too bought it for the 47 mpg, since we are running 4 kids around town.  We didn't sign up for or use the Ford Sync My Ride (until the last month of ownership), we only used it for hands free phone calls. Good Luck with your exchange or buyback! 

From my service ticket:

"Checked (&) found battery dead, charged and tested.

Battery passes load test. Performed latest TSB per Ford hotline 13-7-10.

Let sit for multiple days. Checked for draws. None above allowed limits."

Sit time was close to 3 days...

Service foreman said there was <0.10v drop in voltage.

Unless I hear from someone in this site that has had this TSB done & later had a dead 12V battery,

I plan on giving Ford & the CMAX 1 last chance! Another (5th) dead 12V battery in

say < 1 year from now, & I shall toss in the towel, request a buyback & buy an Escape.

Sidebar: Just got a check ala FedEx from Ford for $550.00

with the explanation it was for their reduction in mpg for the CMAX from 47 mpg to 43 mpg.

This helped salve my 'wounds' a bit...

We previously received a $400 check from Ford for all of our troubles after our 2nd dead battery.  We are also awaiting our $550 check from Ford and am very happy to hear you received yours already!  :dance: On a side note, our dealership has been awesome to us.  We have had a rental everytime we've had a dead battery and have had one for the past month, while they have our cmax.