How Did You Learn About The C-Max?

CrystalSC

I had never heard of the C-Max, wasn't really looking for a new car and had never thought twice about Ford.

Then I went to a local city festival called Fall For Greenville in early Oct. and they had the Ford Experience Tour there. We both liked the interior of the C-Max very much - the first thing I remember noticing were the floor storage compartments. Then the mpg caught my attention. I kept wandering back during the festival and having another look. It's been a month now and I've looked at the C-Max either in person or online each day since.

It started with me wanting to look at the Nissan leaf. I tested one and asked my dad to come look at one with me. He loved the concept but not the reality. I wanted to downsize from a Tahoe. It's just me now as the teens have vehicles of their own. Why do I need that gas guzzler? Dad wanted a hybrid. He really wanted the Prius. I didn't like them. I was looking at crossovers and he suggested the cmax. My husband was a die hard Chevy man. He now loves his dodge truck. My dad loves his ford edge. Figured I would give ford a try.

It was a combination of events that pointed me towards the C-Max.

First, my wife went to a local fall festival and there was an engineer from Ford showing the Focus Electric. I was interested in a new car that got better mileage than our minivan (probably about 17mpg around the city), but I wasn't really interested in an all electric car. Still, I went to the Ford website to learn more - and that is when I saw the information on the C-Max.

I had to wait awhile for the local dealership to get one in to test drive, but after I drove it, I was sold on it - it drives just like a "regular" car, but with great gas mileage.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by REC

I've been reading in Car & Driver about Ford's plan to start selling the C-Max in the states for a couple of years. Initial guesses were both the C-Max and the Grand C-Max would be sold with a choice of powertrains. Ford eventually decided to make it their hybrid "brand" like Toyota has done with the Prius. That made it less attractive to me at first because I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to cars. But when looking at the Focus ST, I took a C-Max for a test drive, not expecting much. I became a convert during that test drive and a week later I bought mine.

Having owned a Mercury Mariner Hybrid for 3years/120,000miles then regretting selling it. The C-Max looked to me, like a great car and it is. Bought a SEL just over a month ago, 5,600miles already and it is better than the Mariner hybrid in every way, you will not be sorry if you buy one. I like all of the features that Ford put into the car, rain sensing wipers, one push, roll up/down windows, etc.

It was a combination of factors. The first was that I was in the market--I had owned my previous vehicle, a Hyundai Santa Fe, for twelve years and was getting the new car "itch". So I started researching vehicles which would be introduced during the 2013 model year. I initially started looking at the new Ford Escape. Then, last winter, while reading an article about one of the winter-season's many auto shows, I saw a brief article about the C-Max. That got the name in my consciousness. So I started reading about it on the Internet and watching videos about older (European) versions of the C-Max on YouTube. As more information became available about the 2013 hybrid version, I became more interested and started following it more closely. Finally, in late summer/early fall, actual reviews and "first drive" reports and videos started appearing on the Internet, and most were very positive. So, I put the vehicle on my "short list" and started contacting area dealerships in September to see if any were available to test drive. Eventually, vehicles started appearing on dealer lots, and I started test driving them and talking to the dealers to learn as much about the vehicle as possible. I liked the vehicle from my very first test drive and it boiled down to which trim line--the SE or SEL--I was going to buy. I spent over two hours this past Monday comparing them side-by-side at a local dealer, and I eventually bought an SE and took delivery today (11/20).

Having owned a Mercury Mariner Hybrid for 3years/120,000miles then regretting selling it. The C-Max looked to me, like a great car and it is. Bought a SEL just over a month ago, 5,600miles already and it is better than the Mariner hybrid in every way, you will not be sorry if you buy one. I like all of the features that Ford put into the car, rain sensing wipers, one push, roll up/down windows, etc.

Every time I talk about this car the same thing comes out my mouth - I cannot believe how much they have crammed into this car!

All you said and my fans: knee bags, parental controls, sensors while driving to slow you down on corners/curves, etc. the comforts and pleasures of driving!

I saw a C-max commercial, and the idea of an American made/assembled hybrid appealed to me. I started doing research on the web, and then went to a local dealer for a test drive. Loved the car. Kept looking on the web for more information. Finally decided to to make the leap! Got mine home last weekend.

Interesting! I haven't seen any commercials for the car.

I have seen several commercials for the car on different channels lately.

I was actually initially interested in the new Fusion Hybrid. I would have purchased one, but I was holding out for the Titanium version early next year. I visited the dealership to test drive the Fusion Hybrid and saw the C-Max while I was there. It had just hit the showroom that day and the sales people were still playing with it and I didn't have much of a look at that time. While waiting for the Fusion Titanium release I started thinking more and more about the C-Max. Since we have dogs, we really liked the idea of the hatchback. We called the dealer and asked them to set out a Fusion SEL Hybrid and a C-Max SEL for us to compare. After spending a few hours in both, the C-Max outshined the Fusion for our needs. Since the purchase last week, I have been shocked at how much I am enjoying this car.

I was looking for values of my 2000 SD 250 Diesel, to sell or trade,  and saw on a Ford site, the C-Max and Fusion hybrids, took a ride to a Ford dealer, tried out the C-Max

talked price for a Fusion (too high), and bought a C-Max, I found it to be a big car in a small package, I love it, kinda like driving a Volvo, it seems to have all the technology, the ride, handling, quietness, visibility, fit and finish in side and out, with much better mileage, and plenty of get-up-en'go.

I guess Ford stole a few Ideas when they owned Volvo.

I'll bite. Ford TV/Cable ads....plus great looking car.

As an owner of 3 Jaguars, the CMax was not even a twinkle in my eye until my wife's Jaguar got TBONED recently and my job as an appraiser demanded a 400+ mile week which my backup Camry could not handle. So, naturally, my wife commandered my black Vanden Plas and I was left looking for a new car.

The Fusion 2013 Hybrid was it and totally, totally set on it - after all, that was a mean looking car with that Aston Martin front end but it was not available at this time. So I got bored and thought I would test drive the CMax to see what the engine combo was like and then also test drive a regular non-eco boost 2013 Fusion to test the handling. Previous to this, my great neighbors owned 2 2010 Prius and a couple of times they bailed me out with a temporary loaner so I got to know how the Prius drove and a hybrid was it. Gas was $4.30 at that time here in good-ole LA.

Big mistake. Not. I was totally impressed with the CMax drive position, high, great views which is totally necessary for my job shooting comparable houses. The drive and handling just blew me away - this was a HYBRID? Man, it killed the Prius for handling. The transition from EV to ICE was baby smooth, seemless and refined. No lag and the brakes were great. I for one, like brakes that grip and give good feel ala Jaguar, and I hate a spongy brakes with passion (ala ole Camry).

The Fusion was next, more enclosed cockpit like a traditional sedan and it drove like a normal sedan. The CMax felt like a Harrier compared to the Fusion which felt like a pedestrian 727 jet. I was sold and the sweetner was that I could get it fully loaded for the base price of the Fusion hyrbid.

Nice.

So far I am luving it. 

Yeah, I miss the plush interior of a Vanden Plas with all that wood but the CMax is costing me far less to run and my business is priority at this time.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I was all set to buy the new Fusion Hybrid. I had driven a 2012 Fusion and really liked it. My main hesitation with the Fusion was the low drivers seating position. I have been driving a minivan for years and really like the seat position compared to sedans. I heard about the C-Max through an article on the Internet and was immediately intrigued. Once I saw one and drove it I was hooked! Also, I love all the car tech!

I was all set to buy the new Fusion Hybrid. I had driven a 2012 Fusion and really liked it. My main hesitation with the Fusion was the low drivers seating position. I have been driving a minivan for years and really like the seat position compared to sedans. I heard about the C-Max through an article on the Internet and was immediately intrigued. Once I saw one and drove it I was hooked! Also, I love all the car tech!

Thats the same coincidence with me. My wifes Jaguar got totalled and all Enterprise had at the lot, when we went to get a rental, were Dodge Grand Caravan. Drove it for an entire month. Now, the room was AWESOME, I could fit in my mountain bike. High drivers position which I fell in love with because I could see more but it was a gas pig. Even tried hypermiling it but to no avail, that sucker idled too high. 

So it's +3 Fusion convertees to CMax. Interesting.

UPDATE: I test drove a real SE Fusion hybrid couple of days ago. My impression was that it was not a quicker car getting from Point A to B, runs up the freeway ramp felt a tad slower and steering was much more precise on the CMax. Turning radius was not as good either since I usually do a ton of 3 point turns for my work. Engine noise was a little louder, you can hear the ICE more often and to me, the very same engine combo did not feel as powerful. The FH drove like an ordinary sedan and the drivers cockpit seemed ordinary. I like the CMax more, feels more roomy. All up, I did not regret the CMax and I really got nothing out of the FH test drive. It was like the other ICE 2013 Fusions. The next test drive are the Energis, -that- could be bad for me... 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I went to test drive a 2013 Fusion Hybrid.  Saw this sitting in front of the dealers windows.  Liked the looks and interior.  Wanted to see one with the glass roof.  Waited a week for the dealer to get one. Test drove it and fell in love with it.  Zippy little thing.  Maybe that will be my new cars name...Zippy. haha

I've known about the plans for the C-Max Energi for a long time, I work in the industry and am also an electric car enthusiast and nerd.  So I was keeping my eye open.  

We had test driven a Leaf extensively and really like it - but with only one car we couldn't do the electric only route.  But I would take one as a second car in a heartbeat, I really liked them.  But it's an expensive second car...

We went and test drove a Volt and came away thoroughly unimpressed.  The build quality seemed poor, the interior seemed all cheap and plastic, and the 4 seat capacity was annoying us.  The engine was buzzy and the salesman was a complete idiot.  We came away completely turned off (which was sad because I really wanted to like it - I think this powertrain in a small truck or mini van would sell like hotcakes!  A voltec S10 would be awesome!)

We have a Tesla outlet in the mall here, and the Model S is freaking AMAZING.  But I don't have that kind of cash - again for an electric only car, even with the highest range model it still would not allow us to travel at all really....  But man are they beautiful and impressive...

We looked at Prius, and so many people have Prius up here we know a lot about them.  So we basically checked out the Prius V and it was an OK car.  The Prius plugin to me seemed to me like a cruel joke.  But to each their own...

We were driving by a Ford dealership a couple months ago and saw a C-Max hybrid out front.  We stopped to just sit in it and check it out.  We liked it.   The sales guy was really high pressure and I mentioned I wanted the Energi model and he said they wouldn't be available until sometime next year (which I already knew was false because I knew the dates they were entering the pipeline).  His ignorance turned me off a bit, but the car was decent.

Next to my office they had the Ford Driven event thing where you could sign up to drive a C-Max, C-Max Energi, or Focus Electric.  They also had a Fusion Hybrid there on display (as well as a Prius and a Leaf for comparisons).  We signed up, knowing ahead of time that we were already interested - but most of the people in my office also signed up.  We got in an Energi equipped just like we ordered ours, with the 303A package and sunroof.  Only it was the ice color.  We drove it about 3 feet and knew we wanted this car, it was great.  So we finished my turn, then her turn, then went back and played with stuff in all the cars.  The Focus Electric was Blue Candy color, and we liked that color a lot.  (We also got $15 gift cards for signing up for the event)

As I said, I work in the industry so I know a lot of information which helps me when I buy a car.  I sent emails to every Ford dealer in the area, coincidentally the first one that called me back accepted my deal outright, the next day we went to the dealer and ordered ours.

That weekend the Ford Driven event was downtown and we went and signed up again, this time we had our daughter and our dog.  We showed her everything about the car, and we were able to drive it a couple more times and play with stuff more.  She was excited too, and the dog endorsed it too.  This time we got free lunch for signing up for the event.

Now I am checking the train hotline daily to see where my car is.  ;) 

We went to the Texas state fair back in October, mostly to look at cars.  Our '96 Lexus is just about used up (yes, we like to keep them till the wheels are falling off).  Other than that car, our last 5 have all been Fords.

Anyway, we had no idea what we wanted, what was out there, and hadn't given much thought to a hybrid.  We certainly had no idea the C-Max even existed.  Looked at a LOT of cars, started thinking hybrid, then saw the C-Max toward the end of the visit.

It was apparently not even a retail-ready model, and was locked.  But we did get signed up for the Ford $50-back test drive promotion.

A few weeks later, we test drove a C-Max, then a Prius-V.  No comparison - the C-Max (and the dealership) won hands-down.  We came back a few days later and ordered a C-Max.  Today's it's scheduled build date.  Should be here Christmas week.

(Blue Candy Metallic, Stone interior, base SEL model.)

We'll be coming from 18 MPG, so even if we get 36 we'll be happy.  Plus all the new tech that didn't even exist back in '96.

Now my '96 Ranger and my son's '99 ZX2 will have another Ford in the driveway for company. Got another $750 off for still owning a Ranger too.

If I hadn't been actively looking for a new car, I'm not sure I'd know today that the C-Max existed.  I've seen NO ads on TV.  Even the end of year Ford ads that list the whole lineup don't say a word about the C-Max.  Why is that?