600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

I run 51psi in my tires. That is above what Ford recommends, but exactly what Michelin recommends as the maximum pressure. I gained roughly 1mpg moving up to 51psi from what the tires were originally pressurized to.

Honestly, I think there may be variations from car to car. I may have been blessed with one car that hits high mileage. However, that being said, here are the main things I do when driving;

#1 I setup MyView to show the Empower left side meter and the three efficiency scoring bars on the right side. I obey those bars. For instance, when accellerating, I make sure I keep the accellerating score at maximum. That is normally the second line on the KW power bar on the left.

#2 I keep the heat and AC at what I need, not what I want. That helps alot.

#3 My driving type maximizes mileage. I drive mostly 35mph town to town.

Lastly, my mileage really began to improve when I hit 15,000+ miles.

Beyond that, I do think there may be differences between customer's cars because even my wife gets high MPG and she does nothing to try at it.

Matt

I run 51psi in my tires. That is above what Ford recommends, but exactly what Michelin recommends as the maximum pressure. I gained roughly 1mpg moving up to 51psi from what the tires were originally pressurized to.

Honestly, I think there may be variations from car to car. I may have been blessed with one car that hits high mileage. However, that being said, here are the main things I do when driving;

#1 I setup MyView to show the Empower left side meter and the three efficiency scoring bars on the right side. I obey those bars. For instance, when accellerating, I make sure I keep the accellerating score at maximum. That is normally the second line on the KW power bar on the left.

#2 I keep the heat and AC at what I need, not what I want. That helps alot.

#3 My driving type maximizes mileage. I drive mostly 35mph town to town.

Lastly, my mileage really began to improve when I hit 15,000+ miles.

Beyond that, I do think there may be differences between customer's cars because even my wife gets high MPG and she does nothing to try at it.

Matt

Michelin doesn't recommend 51, that's the max they will take.  You will lose grip with them being so high.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/finding-correct-tire-pressure

Michelin doesn't recommend 51, that's the max they will take.  You will lose grip with them being so high.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/saturday-mechanic-blog/finding-correct-tire-pressure

The tire label pressure is the maximum recommended for the tire load noted on the sidewall; not the max the tire 'will take'.

Well, perhaps you will loose a small amount of grip on some surfaces. And perhaps gain some under some circumstances. Tire pressure vs grip and fuel economy is complex; 12 years of road racing and 40 years of autocross competition has taught me that there are no easy answers regarding tire pressure, even for street driving. All settings are to some degree a compromise.  If you are not the experimenting type, stay at 38 PSI minimum cold pressure.  If you are inclined to experiment, test out some higher settings up to 51 psi (cold).  I'm running 40 psi at the moment (same as my Ford dealer mechanics put in), but I may experiment later.

The tire label pressure is the maximum recommended for the tire load noted on the sidewall; not the max the tire 'will take'.

Well, perhaps you will loose a small amount of grip on some surfaces. And perhaps gain some under some circumstances. Tire pressure vs grip and fuel economy is complex; 12 years of road racing and 40 years of autocross competition has taught me that there are no easy answers regarding tire pressure, even for street driving. All settings are to some degree a compromise.  If you are not the experimenting type, stay at 38 PSI minimum cold pressure.  If you are inclined to experiment, test out some higher settings up to 51 psi (cold).  I'm running 40 psi at the moment (same as my Ford dealer mechanics put in), but I may experiment later.

Your right, I shouldn't have said 'will take'.

Just a thought......Gasoline evaporates very quickly (much faster then water).  When you fill up on a completely empty tank some of the gas is going to evaporate before your tank fills up.  This could explain the difference you see betw. gas used and gas filled at the pump.  Also remember that some gas stations dont calibrate their gas pumps correctly.  This is illegal but many gas stations dont care because the rules are rarely enforced and they make more money this way.  i.e. if the pump says your car got 13 gallons but you really only received 12.5.  The gas station just made the $ on the spread.

So, anyone else want to join me and shoot for 700?

It is very difficult, but it is possible......

Matt

Congratulations Matt, talk about getting the most out of a tank of gas. I think this equals the Prii  and its real world driving. Plus as the Prii forums like to point out, we are 300lbs heavier than their stock so not bad for a "bloated focus" as some posters there like to refer to our CMaxs.

As for breaking this mark myself, I don't think its possible, I have too many canyon/grades and freeway in my terrain. Like I said much earlier, to break 650  or let alone 700, one has to drive almost all city in the 35 or (55 zone tops) for all of the tank. Obviously thats your sweet spot there in IL. It ain't happening with me, 650 may be doable but right now, my average is around 620 a tank, good enuf for my needs.

Yup, true.

I think the absolute upper limit without aero modifcations is 750 miles (this would be insane, no AC ever, no loud radio, low speed fan and driving like a slug). But, right now, I just want to hit 700 again to prove it was not a one time occurance.

Matt

:mail: Yep, u got the bug....tank after tank after tank, lol! Matt - there is NO cure mate :drool:

Hey if you do the aero mods, be sure to start it in a fresh thread - that would be sweet to see what you do. May be get better aerodynamic side mirrors for starters. Can't believe they put those clunkers.

thunderbird - PM me if you still need help posting up a pic.

Here's a request for all you 600 CMax Club members:

1. SE or SEL

2. Tire Pressure

3. Gas used (Regular/Premium/Other)

4. Any mods such as grill covers or others (please specify)

I'll start

1. SEL no moonroof

2. 44-45 psi cold pressure

3. Premium (Costco)

4. No grill covers or mods, completely stock.

I wonder how many folks in general screw up their fuelly numbers numbers because they top off their tanks when filling up. Im sure the avg mpg would be better if they didnt mess it up.

I usually go full speed (lock it on the notch) for 80% of the fillup, then go manually manually at 50-60% speed till it clicks off then thats it, I pull the nozzle. If you go 100 % fast till it clicks, the turbulent flow messes with your fill so last few drops of gas wont be accurate and it will shut off sooner than if you creep the last 1 or so gallon.

Note: I also didn't "top off" the tank before starting. I never do that, but just stop filling when it shuts off the first time.

Edited by salsaguy

this is why it's a good idea to stop pumping at 10.00 gallons to check to be sure the price on the pump shows exactly 10 times the posted fuel price, not any less.

Just a thought......Gasoline evaporates very quickly (much faster then water).  When you fill up on a completely empty tank some of the gas is going to evaporate before your tank fills up.  This could explain the difference you see betw. gas used and gas filled at the pump.  Also remember that some gas stations dont calibrate their gas pumps correctly.  This is illegal but many gas stations dont care because the rules are rarely enforced and they make more money this way.  i.e. if the pump says your car got 13 gallons but you really only received 12.5.  The gas station just made the $ on the spread.

Edited by salsaguy

this is why it's a good idea to stop pumping at 10.00 gallons to check check to be sure the price on the pump shows exactly 10 times the posted fuel price, not any less.

Hmmmh...never thought about that. Great tip, will check this next time when I am at Costco. :rockon:

First of all, to answer Jus-A-CMax's request...

1. Model: Hybrid SE, no panoramic roof

2. Tire Pressure: Still at factory settings, haven't tinkered with it (yet)

3. Gas used: Regular Unleaded E10

4. Bone stock, no aero mods (yet)

Now, on to other points at hand...I did a little more digging around on the website and finally figured out how to do attachments.  Now that I'm done being a dork :doh: what do all of you 600 Mile Club members think of this for a badge?  It's simple, yet classic...of course, as the creator, I might be just a little bit biased...so much I even put it in my sig file. ;)   Let me know your thoughts.

post-428-0-02433400-1368841761_thumb.png

First of all, to answer Jus-A-CMax's request...

1. Model: Hybrid SE, no panoramic roof

2. Tire Pressure: Still at factory settings, haven't tinkered with it (yet)

3. Gas used: Regular Unleaded E10

4. Bone stock, no aero mods (yet)

Now, on to other points at hand...I did a little more digging around on the website and finally figured out how to do attachments.  Now that I'm done being a dork :doh: what do all of you 600 Mile Club members think of this for a badge?  It's simple, yet classic...of course, as the creator, I might be just a little bit biased...so much I even put it in my sig file. ;)   Let me know your thoughts.

attachicon.gifKeep Calm 600 Miles 3.png

Nice start Thunderbird :)

Here's a request for all you 600 CMax Club members:

1. SE or SEL

2. Tire Pressure

3. Gas used (Regular/Premium/Other)

4. Any mods such as grill covers or others (please specify)

Riddley:

1. SEL with moonroof

2. 44-46 psi cold pressure

3. Regular 87 Octane unleaded fuel from 7-eleven

4. No grill covers or mods, completely stock.

5. Most important: Ruby Red!!

Edited by Riddley

So, anyone else want to join me and shoot for 700?

It is very difficult, but it is possible......

Matt

Hey Matt, I'm in.

But here's the deal: since my car is just a puppy (in the middle of tank #5), it has to learn to walk before it can run. I am shooting for 650 miles/tank this summer. My mileage will probably still be under 10K at the end of the year. I don't expect to have 15K on this thing until next summer. So, realistically, it will probably be this time next year before my car is old enough (in terms of miles) to be able to go to the 700 club dance.

But that said - heck yeah. I'm totally in!