600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Energi has a fully-sealed gas tank with more structure reinforcement to let you go 18 months between gas if only EV is used.  The Hybrid has a conventional tank.

Yes, I knew that. We have a button on the dash depressurize the tank and open the fuel door.

But you would think that the additional structure would make it smaller, not larger.

The actual measured size for the CMAX is 13.9-14 gal from running out a few times on my long distance record runs. Don't know what the NRG is. :)

Paul

That is not the tank size, you were putting fuel in the filler tube and overflow. Not recommended. I never top off after the fuel shut off.

That is not the tank size, you were putting fuel in the filler tube and overflow. Not recommended. I never top off after the fuel shut off.

That isn't what the Owners Manual says, but you can do what ever you like.

Owners Manual

"Note : A fuel spillage concern may occur if overfilling the fuel tank. Do not overfill the tank to the point that fuel is able to bypass the fuel filler nozzle. The overfilled fuel may run down the drain located below and in front of the filler door."

FORD seems to be only concerned about spilling fuel on the ground, not damaging the fuel system. On page 190 in OM it shows diagram of "Capless Fuel System" and fuel filler nozzle barely goes pass second door in filler tube. The tank size is the actual amount of fuel you can put in the tank including filler tube from an empty tank(running out of gas). Using the click method can be inaccurate do to how level the car is and how sinceative the pump shutoff is.

Paul

That isn't what the Owners Manual says, but you can do what ever you like.

Owners Manual

"Note : A fuel spillage concern may occur if overfilling the fuel tank. Do not overfill the tank to the point that fuel is able to bypass the fuel filler nozzle. The overfilled fuel may run down the drain located below and in front of the filler door."

FORD seems to be only concerned about spilling fuel on the ground, not damaging the fuel system. On page 190 in OM it shows diagram of "Capless Fuel System" and fuel filler nozzle barely goes pass second door in filler tube. The tank size is the actual amount of fuel you can put in the tank including filler tube from an empty tank(running out of gas). Using the click method can be inaccurate do to how level the car is and how sinceative the pump shutoff is.

Paul

Yes, I've read that in the manual as well. If you have gone that far, it is really extreme. But I rather expect that the extra fuel you were putting into the car was not in the gas tank, and I always leave room for expansion, even on road trips. There would be no reason for Ford to under-report the size of the fuel tank, especially when the consumer generally thinks a larger tank is better.

The MPG will be accurate over multiple fill ups, even when using the click method. I also attempt to fill up at the same pump every time, just for accuracy. But it will all even out over time.

I would think FORD would state a minimum value so they don't have complaints for over stating it. The MPG problem as an example. The FFH also .6 gallon larger.

Paul

From my experience, which may not be typical, it seems like most manufacturers are reporting the "usable" amount of fuel in the tank. Basically, they tend not to count the reserve amount, the amount of gasoline in the bottom of the tank when the car reads the tank as empty, or the gas that can be added after the gas nozzle typically clicks off.

OK New CMAX Owners It's time to add your names to the 600mi Club list, It's not that hard and also FUN to do. Remember you can go atleast 25mi past the 0 miles to empty so don't sweat getting close to empty.   Be aware of traffic conditions and take advantage of them. Things like rolling to a stop and timing lights so you don't have to stop. On the FWY draft when it is safe to do so, brake to maximize your brake score. If you need a little more help raise your tire pressure to 50PSI(51psi is the max when cold with Michelin tires.  Use Premium or Ethanol Free for 1-2mph improvement, with temps above 70*F this isn't that hard to do.  There are a bunch of us CMAXers that are over 800mi. so get on the list, Post pic of Trip Gauge with over 600 miles. Jus will add your name to the list. :yahoo:  Good Luck CMAXer's

Paul

CMAX Owners post your +600mi tank Pics to join the 600mi Club and get your Great Prizes! (just kidding LOL) It is worth a good pat on the back though and save some money. :) BTW Gas Prices are going up.

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I have IPhone pics of all fillips, it would take awhile to pull them up. What are you thinking?

What I'm curious about is how much car the vehicle will report on the tripmeter that it has burned, to figure out how far I can really really go. But I'm probably not going to stretch it like this again anyway.

On the FWY draft when it is safe to do so, [.....] If you need a little more help raise your tire pressure to 50PSI(51psi is the max when cold with Michelin tires.  Use Premium or Ethanol Free for 1-2mph improvement

I did my 600 tank without any drafting, with tires at 38PSI, with ethanol gas, and a California low-smog blend at that (though not the summer blend - that's been a 10% drop-off in fuel economy!)

• 5 weeks later...

Achieved 56.7 mpg and 701.5 on 12.38 gallons yesterday. I have 4k miles on it. I can see 800 as a possibility.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HGUTpCVk4pVjE0ajg0THloX3c/edit?usp=docslist_api

Congratulations, added to the 700 Bar.

@Bill.E - you need to post your picture here. I did add you to the bottom of the 600 Bar pending you posting the picture.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would re-post this: 

OK New CMAX Owners It's time to add your names to the 600mi Club list, It's not that hard and also FUN to do. Remember you can go atleast 25mi past the 0 miles to empty so don't sweat getting close to empty.   Be aware of traffic conditions and take advantage of them. Things like rolling to a stop and timing lights so you don't have to stop. On the FWY draft when it is safe to do so, brake to maximize your brake score. If you need a little more help raise your tire pressure to 50PSI(51psi is the max when cold with Michelin tires.  Use Premium or Ethanol Free for 1-2mph improvement, with temps above 70*F this isn't that hard to do.  Also use A/C sparingly, it puts a dent in your MPG's. If you average 46MPG you will make 600mi and can join the 600mi. Club. There are a bunch of us CMAXers that are over 800mi. so get on the list, Post pic of Trip Gauge with over 600 miles. Jus will add your name to the list.  :yahoo:  Good Luck CMAXer's

Paul

I'm from poland and 600 miles is more than my country (from mountains to the Baltic sea :-) )But my best score is 4.9l/100km -48mpg. Today 130km (80miles) - 46mpg (50-62 mph). I don't know what is the cappacity of fuel tank and I go to the gas station before 0 range is on the screan. Someday I will take 967km - 600miles mayby and than i take a picture.

And...sorry for my english.

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski

In my opinion, 'drafting' is just another way of saying 'tailgating', and that is NEVER safe to do. If a someone cuts off the the car you're tailgating, or an animal jumps out in front of it, or any of a dozen other things happen, that person his going to hit his breaks, and you're going to hit him before you have to time to think 'oh crap'. Not to mention that most folks don't like being tailgated, and it's good way to spark a nice bit of road rage.

How many times have you been driving along the freeway and saw a dead animal along side the road that was hit by a car? It's probably safe to say that the person who hit that animal slammed on the breaks trying to avoid it. Think about that the next time your 'drafting' someone trying get an extra mpg on your 'score'.