2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

This is just an FYI and documentation here for those members here that own Energi models.

With the upcoming 3G shutdown by AT&T in February '22, anyone who has an updated 3G modem (this particular recall was done years ago. If you currently use the MyFord Mobile app or website successfully, you've had this recall completed already) will lose the ability to use the associated services and features.

Ford has recently come out with a Customer Satisfaction Program (#21B09) to upgrade the current modems to 4G/LTE capable models in certain models and years of vehicles.

I've attached a screenshot that a member on one of the Facebook Groups posted.

The key details that have been found so far:

1) The primary group of eligible C-Max energi vehicles is 2014-2017. It is unknown if '13 models will be allowed to receive this.

2) For those with VINs covered under this program, you will be required to pay for the parts cost, but labor and installation will be covered. Currently it's been noted that the parts cost is to be expected around $300-$500 on average. This will likely vary by dealer and location.

3) For those with VINs not -explicitly- covered in this program, you may still request the upgrade but will be responsible for the full cost both parts and labor/installation.

I have not yet inquired with my dealer for my '13 Energi. If anyone else with a '13 reaches out to their dealer, it'd be nice to know if they are permitting the upgrade for you.

This process will also forcibly migrate you to the FordPass app from MyFord Mobile.

One user has been posting in the MyFord Mobile forums who did a DIY upgrade using a TCU from a wrecked '16 Escape and was able to successfully register with FordPass and eventually have EV related items show up as well as the remote access tools.

MyFord Mobile Discussions - PHEV MyFord Mobile Discussion -&nb...

---

254116362_10221654234245937_5590634432534378320_n.jpg

EDIT 1-25-22: I've attached the full bulletin PDF to this post. This includes further details on the kit part numbers as well as installation instructions for the different vehicles supported. As a note, the listed kit part numbers do appear (based on info from other forums/sites) an internal only number that is not applicable to normal parts ordering methods. These may only be available through this particular program. The actual TCU included in the kit, in theory, should be able to be purchased separately. It is unknown what TCU models are being used as part of this kit officially. If anyone has done this upgrade through their dealer and is willing to or has access to ForScan, the model number of the new TCU can be pulled for documentation purposes.

MC-10204043-0001.pdf

Edited by cr08
Added a better screenshot

Anything available through the MyFord Mobile app/site. So remote start just from the app (the fob will still function), lock/unlock from the app, statuses, etc..

Depending on the version of Sync you have will determine how Go Times and Value Charge settings will be affected. Sync 2 seems to be the most affected from my experience.

Sync 2:

-- Go Times: Make sure the feature is enabled in the app/site. If it is disabled, to the best of my knowledge it cannot be re-enabled in the vehicle. A Master Reset may do it but I did not have a chance to try it before my Sync 3 upgrade. As long as it is enabled though, the Go Times can be edited in the vehicle.

-- Value Charge: Ensure any locations and Value Charge times you wish to use for the foreseeable future are entered in the app/site. Again, to the best of my knowledge, this cannot be edited in vehicle. You are only able to toggle between Value Charge and Charge now for your current location.

Sync 3:

-- Go Times: It appears Ford added an on/off toggle for this feature in Sync 3 so the above warnings aren't a concern.

-- Value Charge: I have not dug deep into it, but it also seems like the option is there to edit VC times in vehicle. I'll have to mess with this a bit more in the coming days.

Hello

I own a 2017 Ford C-max Energi. I received the letter about 3G network changing. I just upgraded my phone to Samsung  S20 FE 5G. A constant message is 'unable to support USB and unplug' when I try to use Android Auto. Do you know if I need to do anything with Android Auto? Remove and then download the Android Auto App? Local PA Ford dealer does not have updated information as of Nov 29. Thank you

On 11/29/2021 at 4:02 PM, cwdancer19380 said:

Hello

I own a 2017 Ford C-max Energi. I received the letter about 3G network changing. I just upgraded my phone to Samsung  S20 FE 5G. A constant message is 'unable to support USB and unplug' when I try to use Android Auto. Do you know if I need to do anything with Android Auto? Remove and then download the Android Auto App? Local PA Ford dealer does not have updated information as of Nov 29. Thank you

Has Android Auto worked previously on this vehicle? I know in the early Sync 3 equipped model years, the USB hub needed to be replaced or it would throw up a similar message. Though Android Auto would still function (Apple CarPlay is the only feature that does -not- work with the older USB hubs). And I believe 2017's had the updated hubs, not sure.

If AA worked before, here's some simple things I'd check:

1) Ensure your phone is fully up to date and your apps are up to date.

2) Ensure Sync is fully up to date (check Ford's site here: Ford Support | Update Your SYNC® System with a Flash Drive. If you are more adventurous, you can go look up the Syn3Updater tool by Cyanlabs. Ford's only going to officially update Sync 3 so far for your vehicle, but unofficially you can update to much newer versions, which this tool will help accomplish.)

3) Try different cables and make sure you are trying ones that do data transfer and are not charge only.

4) Ensure your phone isn't defaulting to a USB mode like charge only. I believe 'File Transfer' mode is required for AA to function. Some brands seem to misbehave in this area and requires manual intervention.

As a simple FYI, AA or other issues are unrelated to the 3G/4G modem upgrade.

Edited by cr08

On 11/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, cr08 said:

For those with VINs covered under this program, you will be required to pay for the parts cost, but labor and installation will be covered. Currently it's been noted that the parts cost is to be expected around $310 or so. This will likely vary by dealer and location.

I just setup an appointment for this program on my 2018 Fusion Energi. The parts cost I was given for the 4G modem upgrade was $427 (free labor). That is a lot higher than the $310 listed above. This is in Watertown MA. I am curious what others are being quoted?

Some notes from Southern California:

1. Advantage Ford in Duarte quoted me a parts cost for the 4G modem upgrade of $318 plus $33 sales tax for a total of $351. It is a special order so I had to pay $351 for the part today and they should call me when the part arrives. Not sure when that will be. 

2. I have a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi like cwdancer19380. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android Auto has worked me for some time now when the phone is connected to a USB port. I may have had to buy a data transfer cable; I cannot remember.

3. I updated SYNC 3 to version 20204 today by installing from a USB drive. It was a difficult process; I think I did not follow the Ford instructions closely enough.  

On 11/30/2021 at 8:40 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Some notes from Southern California:

1. Advantage Ford in Duarte quoted me a parts cost for the 4G modem upgrade of $318 plus $33 sales tax for a total of $351. It is a special order so I had to pay $351 for the part today and they should call me when the part arrives. Not sure when that will be. 

2. I have a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi like cwdancer19380. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android Auto has worked me for some time now when the phone is connected to a USB port. I may have had to buy a data transfer cable; I cannot remember.

3. I updated SYNC 3 to version 20204 today by installing from a USB drive. It was a difficult process; I think I did not follow the Ford instructions closely enough.  

Would you let me know who you worked with at Advantage? I called Chino Hills Ford today and they quoted me $318.45 but said I had to come in and pay for it. After nearly 1 hour there they come back and say the price is wrong and it is over $550.00. I left and called Advantage and they are telling me it is over $450.00. Thanks in advance. 

On 11/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, EddyBoston said:

I just setup an appointment for this program on my 2018 Fusion Energi. The parts cost I was given for the 4G modem upgrade was $427 (free labor). That is a lot higher than the $310 listed above. This is in Watertown MA. I am curious what others are being quoted?

My dealer in Long Island NY doesn't know when the part will be available and cannot put it on backorder.  So I am stuck, indefinitely. Why can dealers in other regions order this upgrade kit when mine cannot?

On 12/18/2021 at 3:41 AM, grege said:

Just received a text yesterday (12/17/2021) about our 2017 energi cmax related to the 21B09 recall.  If affected, I"m hoping this equates to being 100% covered by Ford for all, but we'll see... 

Greg

Greg - It is "NOT" 100% covered. If we think about it this is not the fault of Ford for the phone carriers shutting down the 3G cellular signal. Ford in my opinion stepped up and is taking care of the labor portion so their customers can still use the services built into their cars. On the customer side we must pay for the parts. Also, from what I read other car manufacturers are not stepping up like Ford has. 

I am actually responding to this while sitting in the waiting room at Advantage Ford getting my 4G upgrade installed. I will post how everything went after I have time to see what differences their are if any.  

Okay, so my 4G modem upgrade has been completed for a few hours now. What I can tell you is that it automatically deleted my account from "My Ford Mobile" app. After registering the vehicle in the Ford Pass app it will show up how much fuel I have remaining but I do not have any options for lock, unlock, remote start, charging status, etc. I have tried everything to get it work show up and nothing. There is a note in the bulletin that states for Focus electric owners only certain charge functionality will not show up until an update sometime by Summer 2022. This has nothing do do in my opinion with what is not showing up for my vehicle. If it does not magically show up this weekend I will contact Ford on Monday and they can walk me through it and report back what they found so others do not have to go through the same thing.

I can confirm that my mobile ESN is different and the dealer showed me my old parts once my vehicle was completed. 

Nothing__FordPass.jpg

Fuel_FordPass.jpg

So Ford's support are useless. I spent over 3 hours yesterday on the phone trying to get my new 4G card to be recognized by Ford pass. Calling the Ford pass support they found that in their system my vehicle is still showing that it has a 3G card. So they transfer me to the sync department. On two of my phone calls I was hung up on as they kept telling me I am using the wrong app and need to use "My Ford Mobile". When I told them they are wrong and read them the message from MFM and the instructions from Ford they dropped the call and I would need to start all over. Yesterday was very frustrating. 

Now Ford pass support says that the dealer installed it wrong and that I need to go back there. Not sure how the dealer installed it wrong when my car shows the new modem serial number, MFM app says I am on 4G and to use Ford pass where Ford pass still thinks I am on 3G, something is not synchronized. I kept trying to get them to work on getting my car to show up as 4G on Ford pass but no one seems to be trained in doing this. I was hoping we could verify the modem serial number (ESN) but they say they do not see that information. 

I have been instructed to go back to the dealer to get this resolved. The dealer stated that there is nothing that they need to do, they said it is pretty much plug and play. They will get back to me sometime Monday regarding this but first thing Monday morning I will be back on the phone trying to get this resolved. They are making this more difficult than I believe it should be. 

The people from Ford pass are nice to work with but not trained in this particular issue. The people from Ford sync are not good in my opinion as when they do not know how to resolve something they just disconnect the call. I also believe they are from a call center outside the United States. No accountability there!

If you run into a similar situation do not let them tell you that you need to be using MFM app as it is for 3G modems and not 4G modems. I attached a screenshot just incase you get some untrained person telling you that Ford pass is the incorrect app for your car after upgrading to 4G.

So far I am $350.00 out of pocket for something that does not work. I know it will get resolved but me spending 4 hours at the dealer getting it installed, then more than 3 hours calling over and over again to support and getting no where, the need to do this again on Monday and possible drive more than 20 miles back to the dealer to sit there for hours is all time wasted for something that should have worked right from the start. 

I hope everyone else's upgrades go smoother than mine but once I find out what the issue is/was I will update it here.

Screenshot_20211218-151901_MyFord Mobile.jpg

Pretty much my experience with Ford support - I had a '2016' CMax SE' and they said I could upgrade it to Sync 3. On this forum it became clear that if you had the SE 'small screen' and my manufacture date of Aug. 2015 totally precluded any upgrade possibility.  I downloaded the files from Ford and couldn't even get them to work after hours of trying after encouragement from Ford.  

The Ford people knew far less than the average forum reader here! 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, Nervous but Excited said:

I am considering buying a 2017 Energi. The AutoCheck indicated that this recall does apply to the car that I am looking at.
Is there a way to check whether the recall has been processed on this car?
Anything else to consider before buying the car?

Thanks!

Most likely if it's still showing the recall on the list, it probably has not been done. Most recalls will drop off once they've been satisfied. Also, this is brand new so unless the PO got it done right before selling, I'm doubtful it was done.

Best thing is to simply call your preferred Ford dealer and they can confirm if it's been applied or not. Should simply be able to provide your VIN and they can look up the records and confirm.

Probably going to get a chance here soon to bug my dealer about doing the upgrade on my '13. Had a few telltale 12v battery issues pop up recently (keyfob intermittently being recognized, IPC goes blank for a second or two on starting, and I've had the 'System off to save power' message show when starting the car) so waiting to see how soon it goes downhill and I need to take it in to get replaced. And at that time I can ask about the upgrade. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:17 AM, Nervous but Excited said:

I am considering buying a 2017 Energi. The AutoCheck indicated that this recall does apply to the car that I am looking at.
Is there a way to check whether the recall has been processed on this car?
Anything else to consider before buying the car?

Thanks!

The recall for the 3G to 4G does not include the parts. It "ONLY" includes the labor and programming. The customer will need to buy the parts. So don't expect the dealer to pay to replace this modem as it probably will not happen.