2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 1/27/2022 at 6:47 AM, cr08 said:

Just had a chance to review your AsBuilt against mine this morning and the only differences are the change to disable Nav that you made and the amount of parking sensors, neither of which should interfere. Everything else including all the Hybrid/plug-in bits are set accordingly. So rules that out as a culprit at least. Beyond that and if the TCU is behaving otherwise, I'm not really sure. ?

If any other attempts you make to resolve this don't work, a long shot may be to check out the community over at Cyanlabs and inquire about this there. Folks there are a lot more familiar with APIM stuff and may at least have more troubleshooting to try.

CyanLabs Official Community - CyanLabs Official Community

Appreciate your help! And while I haven't talked to F150 Chief I've been in contact with others on that community.

In addition FJDS/IDS didn't like the escape tcu I had, when I ran the PMI process it said "This routine only supports installing a TCU modem upgrade kit. Install the 4g TCU upgrade kit according to the provided instructions" so there must be a white list of part numbers valid for the upgrade. 

I think at this point I've exausted all options☹️ And while my EVSE has it's own timers so it's not a huge loss it still annoys me that I lost a feature/my experience serves as a warning

On 1/27/2022 at 7:26 AM, bookemdano said:

@bakedpatato you alluded to this in a previous post, but just wanted to be sure--did you say that someone else you assisted in doing a TCU swap also lost the value charging screen in their car the same way you did?

If so, that's interesting because it may eliminate other variables in your case (e.g. your APM swap and your 3G TCU dying on its own even before you changed it out).

I'm also curious what happens to the value charging screen if you simply disconnect your TCU entirely (and maybe follow up with a master reset)? What happens to it if you re-connect your 3G TCU? I know you can no longer provision the car in MFM, but does the mere presence of the 3G TCU (or having no TCU connected at all) affect how that screen appears in your center stack? Since value charging is completely controlled by the car I'd be honestly surprised if Ford made it completely dependent upon their telematics server side.

Anyway, just an idea. Keep us posted! 

I mentioned that I saw a gentleman on the MFM forum post about his DIY swap but given how he didn't have my variable of "broken APIM"  yeah it's not a 1-1 experience although he didn't explicitly post that he had value charging

Unfortunately my old 3G tcu is dead as a doornail, it doesn't show it's ESN on About Sync and doesn't come up on my diagnostic tools so plugging it in won't do anything ☹️

And yes, disconnecting/losing communications to your tcu greys out the Value Charging button entirely...and I've been informed that per Ford's car database my car still shows up as a 3G car when an upgraded car shows up a 4g car

On 1/27/2022 at 9:38 AM, bakedpatato said:

I mentioned that I saw a gentleman on the MFM forum post about his DIY swap but given how he didn't have my variable of "broken APIM"  yeah it's not a 1-1 experience although he didn't explicitly post that he had value charging

Unfortunately my old 3G tcu is dead as a doornail, it doesn't show it's ESN on About Sync and doesn't come up on my diagnostic tools so plugging it in won't do anything ☹️

And yes, disconnecting/losing communications to your tcu greys out the Value Charging button entirely...and I've been informed that per Ford's car database my car still shows up as a 3G car when an upgraded car shows up a 4g car

Interesting stuff. Thanks for checking this out. I had no idea that Value Charging was so tied in with the MFM app. I guess since every Energi was outfitted with a TCU Ford felt it could do that. 

I left a reply for David_Tucker4 in the thread at MFM to see if he's got the same/similar issues. I encouraged him to respond here, but will continue to monitor that thread for any replies.

I do plan to start messing with this myself, but (selfishly) I want to ride out MFM until it dies. I like the interface, layout and full functionality. And since it seems the transition to FordPass is permanent, I wouldn't be able to swap back in my 3G TCU. 

Not to mention, the TCU I picked up from ebay is a "K" model, which I don't think will even communicate with my C-Max until I downgrade it to J firmware (and maybe not even then).

Hopefully we can get this pinned down so folks can make a more informed decision about whether they want to pay the Ford ransom or DIY it.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:08 PM, bakedpatato said:

The kit antenna is a 4g antenna that also is wired in a way that the TCU likes so it doesn't throw a code;I personally didn't use one of the Ford official antennas cause an equivalent (the Ford PIFA antennas the F150 guys keep taking about) cost $35+, requires to be bolted into the body while the one on Amazon I linked in one of my messages cost $10, but still causes the TCU to throw a code.

What is the FCC ID of the module you installed? If it's LHJ-FANW, here are the antenna specs per the FCC filing:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/LHJ-FANW/3033645

Antenna requirements for use with FANW module:

· The module must be installed to provide a separation distance of at least 20cm from all persons and must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna transmitter.

· The FANW module is for use with external antennas ONLY.

· For all LTE/WCDMA operating bands the maximum antenna gain is 6 dBi including cable loss.

· For WiFi 2.4 GHz operating band the maximum antenna gain is 2 dBi including cable loss.

· For WiFi 5 GHz operating band the maximum antenna gain is 6 dBi including cable loss.

· The maximum gain of the antenna path (cable loss + antenna gain) shall not exceed the above mentioned values.

Another interesting blurb:

This radio transmitter (FCC ID: LHJ and Industry Canada to operate with the antenna types listed below with the maximum permissible gain indicated. Antenna types not included in this list, having a gain greater than the maximum gain indicated for that type, are strictly prohibited for use with this device. 

Automotive OEM is responsible for ensuring that the end-user has no manual instructions to remove or install module. The module is limited to installation in mobile applications, according to Part 2.1091(b)

No other operation configurations are allowed.

Changes or modifications to this system by other than a facility authorized by Continental could void authorization to use this equipment.

Sounds like the FCC authorization specifies that end users can't install or modify the TCU, including the antenna.

Hi All,

I'm the guy from the MFM forum who did the DIY swap to his 2014 C-MAX Energi.  Thanks for the link, bookemdano.  Kudos to you, bakedpatato, for doing the same to yours.  I can confirm I am experiencing the same issues accessing value charging on both the in-car Sync 3 screen and the Ford Pass app.  Screens are not responsive to edits, same as you are seeing, bakedpatato. 

My 2014 was originally a Sync 2 setup, but I upgraded to Sync 3.4 last year.  Just for kicks, I reinstalled the old Sync 2 system, and saw the same thing - no edits were possible on the value charging screen.  It had all worked perfectly with the old 3G modem in both Sync systems.  I'm hoping Ford allows it to start working before the summer though, because I credit the ability to charge overnight in cooler temperatures for maintaining a good charge level and 20+ miles of range at full charge even after 75K miles.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:41 PM, Laminar said:

Sounds like the FCC authorization specifies that end users can't install or modify the TCU, including the antenna.

HJ5T - 14G087-UE has FCC ID: LHJ-FAN in it but I wouldn't be surprised if it has similar characteristics to FANW

Yeah FCC Part 15 and all that, I'm not surprised that the TCU only wants to be used with Ford blessed antennas, although that Amazon one I have has only 3dBi of gain..

makes sense my reception is pretty low in comparison to the numbers other people post on the F150 forum with their official antennas 

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

Hi All,

I'm the guy from the MFM forum who did the DIY swap to his 2014 C-MAX Energi.  Thanks for the link, bookemdano.  Kudos to you, bakedpatato, for doing the same to yours.  I can confirm I am experiencing the same issues accessing value charging on both the in-car Sync 3 screen and the Ford Pass app.  Screens are not responsive to edits, same as you are seeing, bakedpatato. 

My 2014 was originally a Sync 2 setup, but I upgraded to Sync 3.4 last year.  Just for kicks, I reinstalled the old Sync 2 system, and saw the same thing - no edits were possible on the value charging screen.  It had all worked perfectly with the old 3G modem in both Sync systems.  I'm hoping Ford allows it to start working before the summer though, because I credit the ability to charge overnight in cooler temperatures for maintaining a good charge level and 20+ miles of range at full charge even after 75K miles.

Nice to hear from the first brave soul that did it?

Unfortunately I'm not too hopeful in Ford re enabling Value Charging for us.

I suspect we might have to talk to some right to repair activists to help us apply pressure to get that to happen if the feature continues to be broken.

Given how the dealership tools won't run the initialization sequence for the modem (which probably changes our cars from "3g" to"4g" cars in Ford's backend) unless they're official TCU retrofit kit TCUs, at the minimum Ford isn't encouraging people to do the swap DIY

On 1/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, bookemdano said:

Interesting stuff. Thanks for checking this out. I had no idea that Value Charging was so tied in with the MFM app. I guess since every Energi was outfitted with a TCU Ford felt it could do that. 

I left a reply for David_Tucker4 in the thread at MFM to see if he's got the same/similar issues. I encouraged him to respond here, but will continue to monitor that thread for any replies.

I do plan to start messing with this myself, but (selfishly) I want to ride out MFM until it dies. I like the interface, layout and full functionality. And since it seems the transition to FordPass is permanent, I wouldn't be able to swap back in my 3G TCU. 

Not to mention, the TCU I picked up from ebay is a "K" model, which I don't think will even communicate with my C-Max until I downgrade it to J firmware (and maybe not even then).

Hopefully we can get this pinned down so folks can make a more informed decision about whether they want to pay the Ford ransom or DIY it.

Again, thanks for all the legwork! ?

Given how even MFM , and now FordPass can set (so assumedly push the values from the server to the TCU) value charging times automatically based on what you say who your electric utility is via the MFM website or FordPass app, I always suspected there was a very tight coupling between value charging and the TCU, although now we know of how tight

And yeah it would depend on where your K series TCU came from, if it's from a car that used I-CAN to communicate to the TCU it might work...while the F150 guys said that downgrading to J series firmware re enables HS3 they didn't say it re enables I-CAN

Which is why I spent more for the Escape TCU, as I was 100% certain it supports I-CAN and David Tucker's experience of course 

And I dunno about you but even after MFM got it's fresh coat of paint in 2020 it still looks like an early 2010s app, FordPass looks much better and I will admit having LTE makes lock/unlock/remote start work much faster!

On 1/27/2022 at 5:03 PM, bakedpatato said:

Again, thanks for all the legwork! ?

Given how even MFM , and now FordPass can set (so assumedly push the values from the server to the TCU) value charging times automatically based on what you say who your electric utility is via the MFM website or FordPass app, I always suspected there was a very tight coupling between value charging and the TCU, although now we know of how tight

And yeah it would depend on where your K series TCU came from, if it's from a car that used I-CAN to communicate to the TCU it might work...while the F150 guys said that downgrading to J series firmware re enables HS3 they didn't say it re enables I-CAN

Which is why I spent more for the Escape TCU, as I was 100% certain it supports I-CAN and David Tucker's experience of course 

And I dunno about you but even after MFM got it's fresh coat of paint in 2020 it still looks like an early 2010s app, FordPass looks much better and I will admit having LTE makes lock/unlock/remote start work much faster!

The whole CGEA 1.2 (aka C1MCA) vs CGEA 1.3 and I-CAN vs HSCAN3 vs HSCAN4 thing is still clear as mud to me. I've read speculation in more than one place that HSCAN3 and I-CAN are actually the same bus--Ford just renamed I-CAN to HSCAN3 at some point. But, I haven't seen anything truly definitive on that. I do know that the K TCU by default "speaks" HSCAN4, which is used on many/most 2019+ Fords. So downgrading it to the J firmware should allow it to communicate via HSCAN3/I-CAN, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

I agree that MFM looks a little long in the tooth at this point--obviously Ford stopped expending resources on improving it years ago. But unlike FordPass it was designed specifically for PHEVs/BEVs and there isn't any superfluous stuff cluttering up the interface. From what I remember, FordPass dedicates some screens to pitching new Ford cars and dealership services. Obviously not a huge deal, but I'll be kind of sad to lose MFM. It was reliable and has worked well for me (albeit slowly). But anyway, at least we have options going forward.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

Hi All,

Thanks for confirming. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it's good to know that this will apparently be an issue for anyone doing a DIY swap. Hopefully a way around it can be figured out.

@David_Tucker4 and @bakedpatato

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but are you sure that you have the correct settings in line 754-01-01 of the asbuilt? I think for the C-max Energi it should be B882--specifically the first 8 signifies that the car is a PHEV as opposed to a gasoline engine. Since you both used TCUs sourced from an escape, wouldn't the second digit need to be changed to 8 from 1?

On 1/28/2022 at 12:09 PM, bookemdano said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but are you sure that you have the correct settings in line 754-01-01 of the asbuilt? I think for the C-max Energi it should be B882--specifically the first 8 signifies that the car is a PHEV as opposed to a gasoline engine. Since you both used TCUs sourced from an escape, wouldn't the second digit need to be changed to 8 from 1?

I tested this thoroughly.  Since my TCU was from a 2017 Escape, the as-built for this line was initially set at B142 when I received the module.  Switching the 2nd digit to an '8' made no difference.  You would think it would, but I saw no change in any of the functions in Sync.  

Interestingly, changing the 3rd & 4th digits to "82" breaks the remote lock/unlock feature for me.  Leaving those digits at either "42" or "62" allows it to work.  Strange.  Still trying to understand the dfferences in the architecture versions.

Edited by David_Tucker4

Also, looks like February 22nd is the actual date that AT&T is pulling the plug on 3G.

It will be sort of interesting to see if everything goes dark all at once on the 22nd or if AT&T is just beginning the process that day and will slowly decommission towers over the following days/weeks/months. Another unknown is if the SIM in these TCUs is authorized to roam onto any other 3G networks that might still be alive.

That's a (minor) part of the reason I want to wait to swap my TCU--I'm honestly curious how long it will take before our 3G TCUs actually stop being able to communicate. I believe the 2G sunset was staged over a period of time, but wasn't really paying any attention back then since I didn't have a car with a TCU until 2019.

Edited by bookemdano

On 1/28/2022 at 9:09 AM, bookemdano said:

For the first line I loaded the as built from my original tcu and for the 2nd(as the motocraft website doesn't have the 2nd) I loaded from an officially retrofitted Fusion Energi

Not trying to be a downer of course but I think the smoking gun is that even after everything I tried my car apparently still shows as equipped with MFM/is a "3G car" vs that retrofitted Fusion Energi shows as equipped with FordPass/is a "4g car"...that dealership tool init I think is the key to value charging working as it uploads the new TCU part number to Ford's backend and probably does some other stuff. 

But since that dealership tool init only accepts certian part numbers that corresponds to retrofit kit TCUs we're currently dead in the water ☹️

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/28/2022 at 4:25 PM, bakedpatato said:

For the first line I loaded the as built from my original tcu and for the 2nd(as the motocraft website doesn't have the 2nd) I loaded from an officially retrofitted Fusion Energi

Not trying to be a downer of course but I think the smoking gun is that even after everything I tried my car apparently still shows as equipped with MFM/is a "3G car" vs that retrofitted Fusion Energi shows as equipped with FordPass/is a "4g car"...that dealership tool init I think is the key to value charging working as it uploads the new TCU part number to Ford's backend and probably does some other stuff. 

But since that dealership tool init only accepts certian part numbers that corresponds to retrofit kit TCUs we're currently dead in the water ☹️

Well I guess the next question would be if the part number is burned in or if any software tools can change it or fake it? Not in my wheelhouse at all, but the Forscan guys may have some ideas.

First things first, we need someone who has done the official upgrade to run Forscan and let us know what the official part number is and/or tear into the left rear cargo area to take a photo of the sticker on the new TCU ?

On 1/28/2022 at 3:18 PM, bookemdano said:

Well I guess the next question would be if the part number is burned in or if any software tools can change it or fake it? Not in my wheelhouse at all, but the Forscan guys may have some ideas.

First things first, we need someone who has done the official upgrade to run Forscan and let us know what the official part number is and/or tear into the left rear cargo area to take a photo of the sticker on the new TCU ?

I tried faking out the dealership tool by running it with the car off but it wouldn't bring up the menu I expected, which is a screen that allows you to  manually input in a part number and an as built you want to upload to the module, and which also gets uploaded to Ford

(this is a normal trick mechanics use to program other modules that fail on the car, since by default the tool for the init process first tries to pull an as built off the module then reprograms the "new" module with that saved as built)

but it just kept saying it couldn't find the TCU and didn't bring that menu up...I suspect if I get my hands on an actual retrofit TCU and run that init process I might be able to change my car into a 4g car in the backend and then I could swap back in my Escape TCU 

but given how it costs $50 for 2 days of access to the dealership tools and required me to buy a more expensive OBD2 adapter these are going to be expensive experiments? 

Edited by bakedpatato

So, it's been over a month since I had a Ford dealer install the 4G modem and it still isn't working.  I can activate my vehicle with the FordPass app, but the features are unresponsive.  I've been calling the FordPass support number, and they keep telling me that they are working on the problem from their end and that I would be contacted by an advanced guide.  I've only received one callback with no resolution.  They told me not to reset the Sync 3 system to factory settings or remove the vehicle from the FordPass app as it may cause confusion.  What do you guys think I should do?  Should I go back to the dealer or start tinkering with things?

An observation I made while activating my vehicle, the Infotainment screen displayed messages indicating that the vehicle was being activated with My Ford Mobile.  Shouldn't it say "Ford Pass" instead?  Does anyone recall seeing the same message?  Or did yours say that it was being activated with Ford Pass?

On another note, for those that can’t schedule charging times... As a temporary solution, you can always get a programmable outdoor smart plug (assuming you are charging with the stock 120V adapter).  I use one myself.  It keeps track of energy consumption, and I can program it to turn on and off at specific times.  It's all controlled by an app on my smartphone and tablet.  I found it to be very helpful.  

On 1/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, GeR2 said:

An observation I made while activating my vehicle, the Infotainment screen displayed messages indicating that the vehicle was being activated with My Ford Mobile.  Shouldn't it say "Ford Pass" instead?  Does anyone recall seeing the same message?  Or did yours say that it was being activated with Ford Pass?

As we've noted earlier in this thread: If you're on an older version of Sync (Sync 2 or Sync 3.3 or older), this is going to be expected and is just hardcoded text in the Sync system but it's just referring to the currently active 'mobile app' which would be FordPass. If you update to Sync 3.4 (this can't be done officially, must be done through something like Cyanlabs' Syn3Updater), it'll then reference FordPass. However that is not required and your existing Sync version should cooperate with FordPass just fine. As an example, my 2013 was swapped to Sync 3 and I've updated to 3.4. Still using MFM with the 3G TCU. Sync refers to the FordPass app on all relevant screens even though they function and update properly with MFM.

Regarding what to do next, given the FordPass people have stated they are looking into it and working on it, I'd leave it be and wait. As someone who works customer service/tech support, if they're admitting to work being done on their end likely it is completely legitimate and it wouldn't surprise me. Probably still a lot of kinks to work out on the backend for this new transition process. Especially considering all of the existing plug-in vehicles in Ford's stable were never on FordPass prior to this and all used MFM. The dealer would likely be of no help either at this stage. Most they'd probably be able to do is reset the TCU/APIM, reflash things, and that'd be about it. If it's not in their IDS system or workshop manuals, there's not much else they can do especially from what is largely a software and backend FordPass thing.

Edited by cr08

Saw an H series Escape TCU posted to eBay this morning and jumped on it so should have that soon hopefully. Though I think I'm also going to take the route of waiting to see what happens with the existing TCU and MFM before I jump in on the upgrade. I imagine with AT&T it's going to be a gradual shutdown of their 3G network starting from the Feb 22nd date.

I'm also equally curious if these units have been enabled for roaming (I think they are in some capacity? I know I've seen mention previously of people being able to go to Mexico or Canada or vice-a-versa and still have functionality on their carriers). T-Mobile while their 3G network is shutting down not long after AT&T's (April '22), their 2G network is remaining up for longer (Jan '23) which in theory these should be backwards compatible with as are most cellular modem chips these days especially these older 3G only ones. With the TCU PIDs, they do show the MCC/MNC numbers which will identify the carrier in use so it should be easy to tell if that ever comes to pass.

Edited by cr08

I am not smart enough to know the precise differences between 3G and 2G, but 2G definitely has less bandwidth so even if the 3G TCU is backwards compatible, I imagine that performance would be degraded. 

In my experience, roaming capability is a function of what the carrier allows and what the hardware is capable of. I once arrived in London, England with a company phone that should have been capable of accessing one of the UK wireless networks (because it had done so one year earlier) but someone in my company forgot to properly notify Verizon to allow international roaming for me. So the phone was useless until I could call back to the USA on a landline and get the problem fixed. So to my thinking, the TCU has to be capable of roaming and Ford has to have authorized it in their contract with the wireless carrier. My dim memory is that Ford did not contract directly with AT&T but with some cellular reseller that uses the AT&T network. My memory could be incorrect.

Given the previous modems used in these earlier model years from the factory were 2G (we did have a recall a few years back to upgrade to these 3G modems) and the nature of what's being transferred, 2G is more than enough for these TCU's for sure.

Roaming's going to be a big 'ol question mark for sure and I'm definitely not going to hoping on it in any way, purely as a 'Huh? Interesting' kind of thing. And I'm not even going to try and guess how that's all set up with the lines/accounts tied to these TCU's. As an example, I'm a T-Mobile postpaid user and here in the US while I can technically roam on AT&T, they've specifically restricted it to certain areas/towers. So it can get pretty specific if they want and with a major company like Ford, the carriers I'm sure can set it up however they want.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:09 PM, bookemdano said:

I tested this thoroughly.  Since my TCU was from a 2017 Escape, the as-built for this line was initially set at B142 when I received the module.  Switching the 2nd digit to an '8' made no difference.  You would think it would, but I saw no change in any of the functions in Sync.  

Interestingly, changing the 3rd & 4th digits to "82" breaks the remote lock/unlock feature for me.  Leaving those digits at either "42" or "62" allows it to work.  Strange.  Still trying to understand the dfferences in the architecture versions.

Something that just crossed my mind that should have been obvious, but there is the note in the bulletin about preferred/scheduled charge times on the Focus Electric not being available until Summer 2022. I have a curious suspicion if this applies to us as well. It wouldn't be the first time a particular fix/update relevant to our vehicles has not been noted. Until someone who has done the official upgrade chimes in stating whether or not Value Charging works for them, I'm going to consider this possibility.

Will also be feeling out other forums such as the Fusion boards to see if there's any reported info to corroborate this.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:47 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

If you haven't already, it looks like CyanLabs recently added some additional AsBuilt DB's including TCU AsBuilt's:

AsBuilt Databases - CyanLabs

Currently they have 'J' and 'K' series TCU's. I imagine the J shouldn't be too far off from the H series.

EDIT: Reviewing this, if you guys are referring to the first four bits at 754-01-01, those last two digits would make sense for us as you've found. 42 or 62 configures it for CGEA 1.2 and 1.3 architectures respectively. 82 is C1MCA which doesn't apply to the C-Max. According to my APIM AsBuilt (all I have on hand at the moment), it's referring to CGEA 1.2, but it may be 1.2 and 1.3 are interchangeable. Not sure there.

Edited by cr08

Sharing a quote from a user over on the My Focus Electric.com forums who had the LTE upgrade completed recently (http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5081):

Just got G4 upgrade performed here in Langley BC Canada
Yes to requirement to log into Ford Pass app.
It activated fine and I was also able to add my wife's account to the same car which was confirmed through my Ford Pass. 

Ford Pass has all the previous MFM controls excluding the information stuff like Rankings, which I looked at from time to time for amusement.  However, the go times & Battery level notice controls don't work.  I used the battery notice in MFM quite a bit.

So this is another data point that supports our suspicion that this might be a software/app issue on Ford's end.  Hoping they are working on it.  

FYSA, FordPass version 4.10.0 rolled out on iOS earlier today...setting the Charge Level Notification almost worked i.e. it allowed me to slide the toggle over and showed the range, but saving the setting ultimately failed.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.