50+mpg trips

C-MAXER

Just as a side note, my personal best trip to work ended up at 78% EV, Jus averaged better than that over his 833 mile tank.  That's sick...

I only managed that high of an EV% because there is an elevation drop from my home to work, that means that Jus must have figured out a way drive downhill both directions!   :redcard: There is no other explanation!   :stirpot:

Edited by SnitGTS

Thanks!

No, wasn't using Trip 2 for anything at all.  I will start tomorrow with that and see how it goes.

Here is my entire driving day yesterday, including the Trip 2 reset (missing only .1 miles bc I forgot).

from Home to Work

7cbr.jpg

from Work to Autozone (with a small detour to kill time during lunch)

ik4t.jpg

from Autozone to Work

v7yd.jpg

from Work to Restaurant
6imk.jpg

from Restaurant to Home
2h9q.jpg

2013-07-08 - Trip 2:

c5sj.jpg

^That was my previous best when I had nearly empty weight in fuel and nothing in the car except a spare gas.

So this happened this morning...

I dunno what to say about this one, I went to work in the morning, exact same route as my 800+ runs. Now my Maxine has 4/5 tank, I have 2 mountain bikes jus cause I was taking it to the bike shop for some maintenance (I am rather unskilled when it comes to mechanics unlike Super Matt :) ) and a dead chunky UPS in the back as well...and this is what the MPG God thrown me this morning...

I just went as I normally went...GO FIGURE. And I was not even trying, just cruising to work.

This should not be happening as I was carry far more weight than my previous best. What is this saying? Weight doesn't matter? Temps was the same, traffic same, nothing special I can recall in the traffic light sequencing...

Yet, its my Personal Best. I wished I had my Trip2 on so that I can see the final fuel used like with the 2 decimals as I normally do...far out, is Maxine jus getting better & better?

Isn't your trip to work downhill overall?  The extra weight does cause a bit more rolling resistance but it also helps push the car forward as it goes downhill.  The loss in potential energy may indeed be more than the incremental rolling resistance energy (I'm a bit too sleepy to run actual numbers)! :sandman:

Isn't your trip to work downhill overall?  The extra weight does cause a bit more rolling resistance but it also helps push the car forward as it goes downhill.  The loss in potential energy may indeed be more than the incremental rolling resistance energy (I'm a bit too sleepy to run actual numbers)! :sandman:

:future: Good theory but no, its not downhill overall. One is a short but steep hill near my home about 400 yards, then I have a about 1.5 mile of rolling uphill/downhill and the rest of flat valley driving with its various upslope/downslope nuances. I am very good at picking up the downslope nuances. I get about 72MPG to work and coming back is about 55MPG with an average around 64MPGs but now that these drives to work is starting to show the 80s instead, I dunno...could be time for another BIG run...which by the way I have been :airquote: fanging so I'll be lucky to get 600 this tank... :rockon:

I can't explain this one this morning...

9251206513_d42edb83f1_z.jpg

Another PB, beat the ole mark by 0.9 MPG aka 1 less squirt on the gas and this with the tank 1/3 full. Interestingly, this one has less EV.

If these to-work numbers continue to hold true for my work runs, the next big 800+ run could potentially beat the 850 mark. This subtle differences means the WORLD with these long tanks, jus gotta MAXIMIZE it.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus please explain your quote regarding  trip2 and 2 decimals.

It's been a week so I'll take this.

The "Trip Summary" you usually see pictures of is a screen that displays briefly when you turn off the vehicle, for the miles driven since it was last turned on. It only displays fuel usage to the tenth of a gallon. 

However, the "Trip 1 and 2" display is analogous to the typical trip meter, where it displays the milage since you last re-set it. Except beyond miles-since-last-reset, it also displays other information: Time of trip, EV miles, MPG of trip, and fuel consumed on trip - except the Fuel Consumed is displayed to the hundredth of a gallon. 

You can see that in 11StiLimited's post: Compare the last two pictures, Trip Summary vs. Trip 2. 

in those cases you'd want to increase tire pressure to minimize roll resistance, right?

yes extra weight is good if you could always just coast down a hill all the time (potential energy due to gravity effect) but hurts you when you need to drive on flat or uphill roads.

it's always a delicate balance. but our cars are not always able to be used as science projects/hyper mile tools and need to be driven as cars /haulers of people/things most of the time so....

thanks Noah. yeah so the trip Summary is then rounding up/down to show the results as xx.x (1 decimal) where the trip 2 doesn't and shows it as xx.xx (2 decimals). it would be nice to have 2  on the summary screen to see minor differences and if trying to beat a personal mpg record but they either ran out of screen space or thought it wasn't important enough.  i guess they thought you'd use trip 2 to get your petty cash back from your employer for work driving/travel tracking miles. guess you need a ScanGuage if you want more digits for hypermiling tests/data tracking.

stilimited, what happened to and from the restaurant on your trip? must be very hilly both ways for a drop like that in mpgs, or else you took the freeway and drove at 85mph. :)

YES! to scenario #1.  Had a cold start with low battery to begin with.  Uphill?!?!? You bet  ;) . Google Earth shows the Elevations to be:

(A) restaurant is 144' above sea level

(B) my home is 252' above sea level

This leaves the elevation change at +108'

AND this was over a very short 1.5 mile period.  Did not have I never accelerated over 2 bars, and maximized my EV the best I could to take care of the hilly and high Kw sucking EV+ zone at home.

I Love getting better than 50MPG on short trips but this result is just a little bit disturbing

Not really but it was interesting.  :secret:

That happened to me twice the other day while I was playing cards.  I got three 6's twice during the game.  Everything's good though and it's three days later.  Well I will have to say that I didn't get my 600 mile tank.   :cry:  

Dang, i should have taken a picture! I got exactly 50.0 MPG over about 23 miles. Featuring traffic flowing fairly steadily at 35MPH for 10 miles, then another 10 miles on surface streets with lots of badly timed stoplights - I'd swear I hit 75% of the lights red. 

The next short-hop, about a mile, ran 126MPG… but that's not too unusual for such a short trip :)

So, I decided to show a two day average for my commutes, as they are almost always short ones.  The following is the start of Day 1 through end of Day 2.  Every time I shut off the car, I snapped the trip screen.  No trips were omitted from this post  :thumbsup:

iy9.jpg

Home to Work:
a7pf.jpg

Lunch time fun run:

xkzr.jpg

Work to Happy Hour:
meb4.jpg

Happy Hour to Home:
lsjv.jpg

Day 1 Reading:
v1x1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...