Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

I have been trying to find all the information I can about this. Our car is to be built tomorrow. From what I have read for current owners, Ford will start sending out letters by the end of the month. You will need to go to dealer for it, and they say expect 1/2 day to do it.

Edited by slampro

DFSO only happens when the speed is too fast for the ICE to turn off. On the C-Max and FFH this only happens when the car is going more than 62 MPH and the throttle is released. I've verified that this does happen through Engineering Test Mode and the Fuel Counts screen on there. On the older Ford hybrids with lower thresholds for requiring the ICE to stay on this came in to play more than it does now.

I think (OK, I hope) this higher EV threshold will allow more blending of EV motor power at highway speeds making it easier to achieve better hwy FE.

I have a big highway trip scheduled for mid-August.  If the update is available by then, I'll gladly be a Guinea pig.

Oh great a volunteer , I'll be waiting for your evaluation.  Its due in August so we won't have to wait long.

I don't see the Energi mentioned. We want the upgrades that apply to us! We're people too!

AE, out of curiosity,are u able to do some form of ICE High mpg? How does your eco cruise behave at 60 mph vs 70 mph in it's battery management? Since the Energis already have the 85mph and we're heading there.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

AE, out of curiosity,are u able to do some form of ICE High mpg? How does your eco cruise behave at 60 mph vs 70 mph in it's battery management? Since the Energis already have the 85mph and we're heading there.

I have been using the EV battery in town and when I approach the Interstate switch to EV later to preserve whatever is left of the EV battery for the end of the trip. While on the road in this mode and Eco, the car appears to perform like a normal Hybrid using the battery occasionally and showing a charge and discharge of the Hybrid battery.

The one time when I forgot to go into EV Later after shutting off the car the EV battery was quickly drained, and it ran like a normal Hybrid, although I have not been real successful in achieving ICE High, perhaps because on the Interstate between Tucson and Arizona it's very tempting to move with the traffic which is doing 75.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I'd like to volunteer to rewrite Ford's press release as follows:

At Ford Motor Company we are always striving to improve our products.  We are happy to announce the following changes to our Hybrid Vehicles:

jmckinley, I couldn't agree more with your post above. 

For those that dissed CR for their December review with respect to the FE of the C-Max vs EPA rated, I believe thanks needs to be given to reviewers like CR as without such reviews, I really doubt whether Ford would have been as proactive in change (wamba2000 hit the nail on the head above).

IMO, there is simply to much pro-Ford rhetoric with respect to the FE of the C-Max vs the EPA on this site and not enough criticism of Ford for it's promoting the EPA number when they obviously knew it is not a "real world" number (see Raj Nair's response to CR review in December).  I also believe this update is testament to Ford "gaming" the software to achieve a high EPA number rather than optimizing the software for "real world" driving.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

perhaps because on the Interstate between Tucson and Arizona it's very tempting to move with the traffic which is doing 75.

People drive so fast and crazy there, it's incredible there aren't more serious accidents.  I'm hoping these changes help those of us who travel at higher speeds (I drive to Sierra Vista from Tucson every day).

IMO, there is simply to much pro-Ford rhetoric with respect to the FE of the C-Max vs the EPA on this site and not enough criticism of Ford for it's promoting the EPA number when they obviously knew it is not a "real world" number (see Raj Nair's response to CR review in December).  I also believe this update is testament to Ford "gaming" the software to achieve a high EPA number rather than optimizing the software for "real world" driving.

I fully agree.  Me and the wife were discussing this and decided that if Ford had went with more of a 'real world' number (~40ish) then there wouldn't be any backlash at all.  If anything, it would be better publicity for drivers to say, "Damn, I'm getting 46mpg when it's only rated at 42mpg!"

Something I think I saw from other posts here: in the Hybrid, when you drive over 62mph, the engine keeps spinning. You can't run EV mode since the battery isn't set up for that amount of power output, but even on a downhill your ICE keeps spinning. Is that right? Because in my Energi I see a pure EV mode, without the ICE spinning, at speeds up to 80-something. I suspect that's one of the software changes they are making for the Hybrid, allowing the ICE to cut off entirely at high speed, just like it does at lower speeds, as long as you don't put too much demand on the batteries. They aren't changing the max output of your electric motor or battery pack in terms of power, but they will allow it to be used at higher speeds.

But most of the other software changes seem like they would apply to the Energi, like better management of the grill slats, and climate control changes. I do hope we get those changes, even if the first one isn't applicable for us.

Edited by MikeB

Something I think I saw from other posts here: in the Hybrid, when you drive over 62mph, the engine keeps spinning. You can't run EV mode since the battery isn't set up for that amount of power output, but even on a downhill your ICE keeps spinning. Is that right? Because in my Energi I see a pure EV mode, without the ICE spinning, at speeds up to 80-something. I suspect that's one of the software changes they are making for the Hybrid, allowing the ICE to cut off entirely at high speed, just like it does at lower speeds, as long as you don't put too much demand on the batteries. They aren't changing the max output of your electric motor or battery pack in terms of power, but they will allow it to be used at higher speeds.

But most of the other software changes seem like they would apply to the Energi, like better management of the grill slats, and climate control changes. I do hope we get those changes, even if the first one isn't applicable for us.

Correct, the hybrid ICE will not shutdown at speeds above 62 mph normally. I have observed the ICE shutdown above 62 mph if conditions such as drafting behind a semi are present. What the article failed to mention is how much of a gain we can expect from the upgrade? At a minimum we should see increases at least equal to those aftermarket grills added to some C-Max's.

Edited by darrelld

In the case of the A/C compressor just not having it turn on every time you hit "Auto" would help.  I've noticed it can be 60F outside, I hit "Auto" with a set temp of 72F and the A/C will also turn on.  I've gotten used pressing the "Auto" button, then immediately checking the outside temp and if it's lower then the set temp reaching down to shut off the A/C.  Hopefully one of the changes will be for the system to check the outside temp and if it's lower then the set temp then it will not automatically turn on the A/C when you hit the "Auto" button.

What are the negatives of each of these upgrades?     What do we lose, to gain this additional mpg?

I had some concerns with one aspect, see the 1st page, seem like the only one here but the other update detail seem fine to me. Matt my fellow hypermiler is of the impression we will get about 2 MPG difference but I am not so sure. The CMax right now is very strong on the surface street but the achilles heel is the freeway but we have a great workaround and seems like these changes include removing the work around or so it seemed. I think ths is a whole package upgrade as well...all or nothing, so removing the 62mph upgrade is not an option, I feel. We shall see...

i would agree with scuba here.

I am willing to bet that the capability has always been there; it's just been a matter of testing to make sure that the changes wouldn't fry the batteries, or some equivalent.  Probably, they concluded longer range testing, and they can now unleash the full capability of the batteries without damage.  Some of the other enhancements are also the result of testing over longer terms, like warm up,

how many times do we have to repeat this. FORD does not create the test methods, its the EPA!!!

all car mfgs must use the same tests  on their cars in order to obtain the MPG numbers.

I fully agree.  Me and the wife were discussing this and decided that if Ford had went with more of a 'real world' number (~40ish) then there wouldn't be any backlash at all.  If anything, it would be better publicity for drivers to say, "Damn, I'm getting 46mpg when it's only rated at 42mpg!"