C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

I believe FORD has over cooled the ICE and if you didn't need to use the AC you could leave the covers on all year long for city driving. This is why I make a second cover for the top grill with a cut out . You still end up with aerodynamic improvement while still letting air into radiator. The thermostat is fully open at 202deg.F. Shutters start opening at 190deg.F and are fully open at 213deg.F You can remove lower cover for AC use if needed.  Bottom line is you will always gain 1-2mpg at least no matter what the temp is on the hwy Mileage. ScanGauge is a good tool for improving mileage.

I believe FORD has over cooled the ICE and if you didn't need to use the AC you could leave the covers on all year long for city driving. This is why I make a second cover for the top grill with a cut out . You still end up with aerodynamic improvement while still letting air into radiator. The thermostat is fully open at 202deg.F. Shutters start opening at 190deg.F and are fully open at 213deg.F You can remove lower cover for AC use if needed.  Bottom line is you will always gain 1-2mpg at least no matter what the temp is on the hwy Mileage. ScanGauge is a good tool for improving mileage.

Do you say that because if you need to use A/C then you are in a hot environment so need the extra cooling, or do you say that because having the A/C running generates more heat under the hood?

Do you say that because if you need to use A/C then you are in a hot environment so need the extra cooling, or do you say that because having the A/C running generates more heat under the hood?

Actually because AC needs air to go thru condenser to cool it and that heat goes thru radiator making it hotter. 

I have an 8 mile commute each way daily, using arterial city streets for most.  Phoenix traffic is not necessarily friendly to hybrids, I have seen a fair amount of tailgating in the short time I've had the C-Max, especially if you are trying to stay in EV mode off the line......

THis morning, I must have hit a light day or break in traffic, as I hit a lot of green lights and wasn't followed too closely.  I think I got a taste of what is possible:

Outside temp: 39 degrees F.
Battery was 1/3 level when I started out.

ICE ran to put some heat into the car and charge the battery.

I stayed in EV mode as much as I could.

I kept at speed limit and used regen as approaching red traffic signals.

Mileage for the trip per the Trip Summary:  46.1 mpg

It is doable, temps are going up this week in Phoenix so hope to have mornings in the 60s by next week, will see if it improves.

Got to say, I really like the C-Max so far and it is not even broken in!

I have an 8 mile commute each way daily, using arterial city streets for most.  Phoenix traffic is not necessarily friendly to hybrids, I have seen a fair amount of tailgating in the short time I've had the C-Max, especially if you are trying to stay in EV mode off the line......

THis morning, I must have hit a light day or break in traffic, as I hit a lot of green lights and wasn't followed too closely.  I think I got a taste of what is possible:

Outside temp: 39 degrees F.

Battery was 1/3 level when I started out.

ICE ran to put some heat into the car and charge the battery.

I stayed in EV mode as much as I could.

I kept at speed limit and used regen as approaching red traffic signals.

Mileage for the trip per the Trip Summary:  46.1 mpg

It is doable, temps are going up this week in Phoenix so hope to have mornings in the 60s by next week, will see if it improves.

Got to say, I really like the C-Max so far and it is not even broken in!

I was getting in the low to middle 50's when I was there the end of Dec. with my Grill Covers on. You can expect 2-4MPG improvement  look at 3MPG gained with Grill Cover threads in Fuel Mileage forum.

I have a Cmax hybrid with over 3000 miles on it. I like the car, but am very disappointed with the mileage. Short distance or long it is averaging 35 mpg, a long way from the advertised 47. 

I am a 12 year hybrid veteran, having owned a 2001 Prius, no trouble getting the 48-50 mpg with that car (summer) and about 44 in the winter. It is winter and expect the Cmax will do better when it warms up, maybe up to 40 mpg. Still way short. 

I have a Cmax hybrid with over 3000 miles on it. I like the car, but am very disappointed with the mileage. Short distance or long it is averaging 35 mpg, a long way from the advertised 47. 

I am a 12 year hybrid veteran, having owned a 2001 Prius, no trouble getting the 48-50 mpg with that car (summer) and about 44 in the winter. It is winter and expect the Cmax will do better when it warms up, maybe up to 40 mpg. Still way short. 

My experience exactly; except over 5000 miles.   :cry:

You guys could be be gaining 2-5MPG's with Grill Covers. Check out 3 MPG Gain with Grill Cover threads in Mileage forum, everyone that  has tried them has seen at least 2mpg and up to 6mpg.tn_gallery_143_17_69987.jpg

I'm not intentionally vying for the title of worst C-Max average MPG but here's my last fill-up:

311 miles (~150 Hwy)

88.2 EV miles

29.7 MPG (28.02 manually calculated)

10.47 gallons (11.1 gallons on pump meter)

It is seasonably cold here in New England and I even use the heat sparingly. I still maintain a smile, however, when I'm able to make 1-2 mile trips solely on electric.

I now have 1800 miles on my C-Max, so I did a real fuel calculation.

The car gauge showed 46 MPG. When I did the math longhand it came to 44 MPG.

Either way, I'm thrilled for that mileage this early.

I am in TX, so the temps were above 40 almost all of the time, yet not warm enough to run the A/C.

I'm usually driving the freeway in slow and go traffic, so I rarely get up above 60MPH.

Overall, looks like a great fit for my needs so far.

Good to see you back Scooter!  Just now watching the news and gas here just went up 7 cents a liter today, and they are predicting it will keep creeping up through the Spring.  I think it will get back to the $1.50 liter range before summer hits.  Your mileage is great.

Posting from Mammoth, had a 4 mpg improvement driving up this time vs prior.

San Fernando to Mojave, 40 mpg, temps in the mid-low 40s

Bishop, 39.7 mpg, temps mid 30s

Toms Place, got killed 36.2 mpg, temps 28

Mammoth, 37.4 mpg, temp 24.

EV mode worked fine in the colder temp but my ICE was warmed up....but here's my issue with the ccold', batts were 3/4 and could not sustain 60mph. I did get OK in EV at the 35 mph driving thru town.

4 mpg is pretty good, same load as my prior posted 2 Mammoth threads but my odo clicked over 5000 miles this time.

Looking forward to the derived back, I'm managed 44 mpg last time so this should be similar, being a Monday drive back should have less than the past 2 Sunday ones.

Snow is awesome BTW...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Excellent.  Freshies?

The Sherman Grade is both friend and foe of mpg depending on your direction.  N :nonono:   S :rockon:

No freshies this time, storm not coming in till later this week but MM has an awesome base and snow quality is nice. Scottys, 14, 9, 5, 23.... all rawk, not one bad run, no rocks but don't run into them. Some poor sod was either killed or badly injured under dropout chutes, left a big pool of blood.

Yeah, I  :wub2: that grade going south, full batts but CHP is always there.. roll baby roll  :rockon: .

Oooops sorry for the diversion, back to the topic at hand...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Phew I am home! Great day of snowboarding and driving Max back.

So here's the summarized goya: 290 miles San Fernando to Mammoth and 290 miles back. Elevation change from 500ft to over 7800 ft to Mammoth Lakes and back. Temps from 60F to 24F and no discrenible head/tail winds on this trip.

Now..I got 37.4 MPG going there and 46.x MPG coming back for an overall of 41.4MPG according to Max's calculation - the BEST YET out of the 3 trips I've done, with Max fully loaded with ski/board gear, food etc.

Woohoo.... :happy feet: 

What did I learn this time? Keep your battery level as high as possible especially if you're going above 65+mph (no more than 70mph), I've seen my Max go 40-45MPGs on flats and with a slight downhill, at those speed, I've seen it go above 50+MPGs. Don't fight physics and eco cruise 55-60mph and enjoy the climb...and boy, Max can climb :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Just turned up 2,900 miles on the ode.  Took a drive from Simi Valley to LAX and got 49 MPG one way driving at ~ 64 MPH in ECO cruise on 405 south bound FWY with outside temp at ~ 52 degrees!  For return trip home we went up coast HWY and over Topanga Canyon to 118 FWY to avoid north bound 405 traffic.  When we got home the total round trip average MPG was 45.8 MPG!  I didn't do anything crazy, just kept the cruise control below 65 MPH and tried to maximize EV mode when possible on surface streets.  Hey, Just-A-CMax, you are familiar with this turf and can appreciate my satisfaction with these MPG numbers!  Toganga Canyon Drive from the beach to Ventura Blvd is long and steep and sucks mileage, so the round trip average is really good considering!   :happy feet:    

Edited by Generalbeluga

I would like to understand better how the electric and gas work in tandem.  Based on testimonies it looks that there are some significant savings in fuel when this happens at higher speeds - 65 or above.  It doesn't appear to happen unless the batteries are close to a full charge. If I am understanding this correctly for highway driving above 63 MPG it is best to maintain a consistent speed and keep the batteries fully charged.  If not in stop-n-go traffic using the punch-n-glide approach isn't optimal.  

Just turned up 2,900 miles on the ode.  Took a drive from Simi Valley to LAX and got 49 MPG one way driving at ~ 64 MPH in ECO cruise on 405 south bound FWY with outside temp at ~ 52 degrees!  For return trip home we went up coast HWY and over Topanga Canyon to 118 FWY to avoid north bound 405 traffic.  When we got home the total round trip average MPG was 45.8 MPG!  I didn't do anything crazy, just kept the cruise control below 65 MPH and tried to maximize EV mode when possible on surface streets.  Hey, Just-A-CMax, you are familiar with this turf and can appreciate my satisfaction with these MPG numbers!  Toganga Canyon Drive from the beach to Ventura Blvd is long and steep and sucks mileage, so the round trip average is really good considering!   :happy feet:    

I certainly know these routes. Agree - that TC from the beach to Ventura is hilly indeed. Totally, totally awesome MPGs there Gen  :rockon: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

According to Brian Bradkowski, a Ford Engineer doing customer service that spoke to me on the phone last week, the only break in period for a Cmax is purely mechanical and will give no more than 1- 3% benefit. So do not expect too much.  He assured me there was no program or other "break in adjustments" that have any effect, just what happens with all auto engines. 

Personal results, in Chicago winter driving, are just in the mid 30s and very disappointing. Why does the slightest hill or touch of accelleration cut off the EV?  It seems to bounce back and forth weather. The Cmax seems to be set so that less use is made of the EV motor when going faster than about 15 mph. Or perhaps it is more noticable than on the wife's Prius (in which I get about 43 mpg in the same weather). One thing I did notice is that the Prius almost always goes to EV when stopped at a light and my Cmax is not. Could the battery need charging that much more than the Toyota's?

I have to admit the solid contruction, quieter ride, and better acceleration are positives and I hope that Ford Engineers will make some firmware changes that bring the mileage up. It would not take many changes on how and when the EV contributes to make a difference.

I also wish the salesman and brochures had been more honest about the mileage when I bought it and they promised near 47. I might still have bought considering the quality of rest of the vehicle. Even now I hear them and service staff talk about a 4-5 mpg break bonus when as above Ford's engineer says this does not exist. BTW the Ford Customer service staff, except for at first one CS manage repeating the "break in" misinformation, could not have been better to deal with. They do seem to care.