Order to Delivery Time Thread

ScooterS

newbie:

Model: C-Max Hybrid SE Ruby Red, panoramic roof, charcoal, few other whiz-bangs.
Date Ordered: 11/26/12
Promised Delivery time: 8 to 10 Weeks
No VIN, sticker, etc
State: IL

Would have got more features, but don't like leather seats or nav. So that cuts out a lot.

Our salesperson was pretty new, although she was nice. We told her more than she told us. How do we make sure we don't have that Retail Verification thingee problem?

• February that would be one long wait!  What is pulling tickets?  I must of missed that part when we ordered.  I just saw two C-Max's at another dealer's lot this evening.  I was shocked as there are only half a dozen for sale in the Lower Mainland where we live.  Fingers are crossed that February is fiction.

Hi all.

We ordered our SEL on 12/3.  I have been reading this forum for about a week now and I used the information gleaned from you folks to go back to the dealer for the vehicle order conformation sheet.  Having the order number and the dealer ID number I called Ford directly and they were more than happy to look up the VIN for me.  Worked out great.  The dealer said he had not recieved the VIN yet.  The status as of now is "order processing".

I would like to thank you all for the information you have so generously provided.  Maybe I too can contribute once we have our C Max.

Laurel, we live about 12 miles from Kent WA so I will be tracking a long train ride as well!

Edited by ldm

When ordering, you'll initially have the dealer number and an order number. The order will be in the "Order Bank".

Next, the order gets "pulled" to the Ford system. That's what people mean when they talk about pulling the order or pulling tickets. Most folks say it takes from a couple of weeks to a month for this to happen. In my case it took from Nov 26 to Dec 13. Most also say this happens on Thursdays, but I don't actually know that.

To find your order status, the dealer should log in to their Ford system and the "Vehicle Visibility Report". Once the order has been pulled by Ford, they can look at it at any time. Several internet sources say the status only changes weekly. Every dealer is different about this. Some check orders weekly and email updates to their customers. Some are less empowered and may have never heard of this. In that case you might ask to speak to whoever handles new car orders.

Once the order is in the Ford system, it will start processing. There are many steps but basically it's assigned a VIN and a production week first. When they pulled my order on Dec 13, they assigned a production week of Jan 21. That's why I say February delivery.

From what I've seen, you can count on that week in most cases. At some point later it will also be assigned a specific production day. A few weeks after the VIN is available, and once a specific production date is listed, you can view the window sticker. The production date will be listed at the top of the sticker. HTH

Edited by mtberman

Thanks mt.  My dealer seems to be the lesser is better type.  I did not get the dealer ID number or an order number until I went down there yesterday the 19th with the car being ordered the 3rd of Dec.  But I was surprised how willing and happy the lady at Ford was to find a VIN for me.

Got this yesterday...

Your cmax just got to the railyard, but it is in a 60 train car convoy. it is currently # 34 of 60 cars to be unloaded, so while it is already arrived, our eta is 12-26 to actually receive it, and are unable to pick up from the railyard.

So much for showing it off to the relatives on Christmas day.

Oh well, at least we know it didn't get derailed in Toledo or something.

Does anybody know how long they take to prep a car once they receive one at the dealership?

Oh no PWBarrett! Wait... I thought they could fly? It can't get to your house on its own?

Just off the phone with dealer, looking for VIN number. Anyone else running into allocations? Apparently Ford will not pull our 4-week-old order yet, since our dealer has sold all their allocations. They have to wait for another CMax to be allocated to this dealer, and then they can pull the order. This won't happen until after the holidays, because Ford is shut down. According to dealer, we need to "hope" that Ford gives them another allocation, and then they can pull the order.

Oh no PWBarrett! Wait... I thought they could fly? It can't get to your house on its own?

I think it *did*!

I got an email from the dealer this afternoon that the car had arrived and did we want to come down and pick it up.

YES PLEASE!!

Apparently the jam at the rail yard got resolved, a couple of days early.

We just took turns driving it around on the way home.  Much more playing to do when it's light out tomorrow.

post-196-0-22521700-1356227725_thumb.gif

Just off the phone with dealer, looking for VIN number. Anyone else running into allocations? Apparently Ford will not pull our 4-week-old order yet, since our dealer has sold all their allocations. They have to wait for another CMax to be allocated to this dealer, and then they can pull the order. This won't happen until after the holidays, because Ford is shut down. According to dealer, we need to "hope" that Ford gives them another allocation, and then they can pull the order.

I wouldn't accept "allocation" stories. Normally that's a valid reason for a delay, but not on the C Max.

My dealer and others have said that the C Max qualifies for Retail Order Verification. This is a program a dealer can use to order C Maxs outside of regular allocation by proving that the order is for a "real" retail customer. Apparently Ford does this occasionally on cars that are in high demand, or which have hefty margins and are selling well. They have to make sure a few dealers don't try to take all the stock of a hot selling car. To do this, they limit each dealer to their regular allocation, but allow unlimited extra orders from any dealer, no matter how small it is, as long as they can show there's a real buyer behind each of their orders that exceeds allocation.

In simple terms, this means they can order as many C Maxs as they like as long as the orders are real, and they'll still get their full inventory allocation. As such, they'll often price the ordered car attractively. Your car is just "gravy", so to speak. The person who handles new car orders should know all about this.

I don't know exactly how it works, but here's how it was described to me by my sales person: They order the C Max first. Next, they go to the Retail Order Verification section of their Ford system. They have to upload a scanned copy of the signed, dated (the dated part is apparently very important) buyer's order, along with a copy of the buyer's driver's license. Some cars also require that they prove the customer has paid a deposit, but I don't think they have to do that on the C Max.

Once that's all done, Ford confirms the order as "verified", and it should get pulled for production. This is typically within about two or three weeks.

Hope this helps. Maybe call the dealer and ask to speak to the new car manager about this. Or their inventory/order person. If they've ever ordered another product through Retail Order Verification (e.g., Shelby Mustang, Raptor pickup) then they should know how this works and get your order going. Best Wishes.

(or contact another dealer if you have to)

We didn't hear anything about allocation when we ordered.  Our salesman put in our order via the Retail Verification (I remember them photo copying my driver's license), and I got the VIN about 10 days later and the window sticker shortly after.  Order officially went in Oct. 8 or 9th and we had it November 29th.  Less than 8 weeks--yet it seemed forever.  I am thinking we were very lucky and had a very efficient salesman.

I don't know exactly how it works, but here's how it was described to me by my sales person: They order the C Max first. Next, they go to the Retail Order Verification section of their Ford system. They have to upload a scanned copy of the signed, dated (the dated part is apparently very important) buyer's order, along with a copy of the buyer's driver's license. Some cars also require that they prove the customer has paid a deposit, but I don't think they have to do that on the C Max.

The date part is very important, my order was delayed by a few months because the date wasn't in right.