2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

Hello guys, F150Chief from Cyanlabs has confirmed that K and J series firmwares do contain GoTimes, so it's a matter of the correct asbuilt code to make it work. Personally I'm still waiting for my TCU to arrive, so cannot say much here. 

On 7/12/2022 at 1:07 AM, bookemdano said:

Подожди, Куга Энерги? Если я погуглю «Ford Kuga Energi», я получу три результата, два из которых вышли на пресс-релиз еще в 2017 году, где Ford зарегистрировал это имя как торговую марку, третий результат — это ваш пост. Уточните, о какой машине идет речь?

Кроме того, опубликованный снимок экрана точно показывает, как выглядело мое приложение FordPass, когда у меня был подключен TCU K (мигнул на J) в моем C-Max 2017 года. В разделе «Зарядка» приложения всегда была кнопка «Настройки», но параметры внутри не работали. Вот скрин экрана настроек «зарядки», который я реализовал. Я думаю, что это предназначено для более новых электромобилей, таких как MachE:

fordpasscharge-2.thumb.jpg.4ad11ba629b43311237f0e9aff3322f4.jpg

В H TCU «Настройки настройки» отображается на экране, который выглядит по-разному:

hchargesettings.thumb.jpg.1f50221938afbe358cabfb75508f8538.jpg

Кроме того, в разделе «Зарядка» есть другие кнопки «Уведомление об уровне заряда», «Журналы зарядки» и «Мое вождение электромобиля»:

hdashboard.thumb.jpg.5e8727a5cfcfa9cc856998d2197f3ea5.jpg

Возможно, Ford вносит / вносит изменения, сумма TCU J (или K-> J) работает полностью с Energis, но опубликованный вами снимок экрана ничем не отличается от того, когда я пробовал это еще в марте. 

Perhaps he meant Kuga PHEV, not Kuga Energi. From 2020+, it is the Kuga PHEV that is being sold in EU.

Edited by MadAleX

On 7/12/2022 at 8:27 AM, JoSS said:

Hello guys, F150Chief from Cyanlabs has confirmed that K and J series firmwares do contain GoTimes, so it's a matter of the correct asbuilt code to make it work. Personally I'm still waiting for my TCU to arrive, so cannot say much here. 

And where can we get this correct asbuilt code?

On 7/12/2022 at 11:28 PM, MadAleX said:

And where can we get this correct asbuilt code?

My guess, we should copy it from the same PHEV car, which included J/K series modem. Anyway, I'm still waiting for news from that guy, who's shared this information with me. However he's a bit busy these days, so I have to wait.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, JoSS said:

My guess, we should copy it from the same PHEV car, which included J/K series modem. Anyway, I'm still waiting for news from that guy, who's shared this information with me. However he's a bit busy these days, so I have to wait.

It seems to me that the new Ford Kuga PHEVs are equipped with HS4 CAN bus, so the correct asbuilt code from this car alone may not be enough. A Kuga PHEV GWM module may also be needed. IMHO.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:50 AM, JoSS said:

Hello.  Any news?  Somehow it became quiet in this thread of the forum ...

On 7/20/2022 at 1:51 AM, JoSS said:

Yes, here's his config, however I was not able to test it yet since I'm still waiting for my TCU.

battery.jpg

The bits at 754-01-01 xx** xxxx xxxx look off. All J/K models (as well as other TCU models) in CyanLab's db have everything from 60 through FF listed as 'Reserved'. Though a previous discussion in their forums indicates internally these duplicate some other bits. If I read that conversation and this info correctly, those bits SHOULD map to '38' which indicates the following:

38=VA CGEA 1.3, TDR EU, OCS Configured

CGEA 1.3 should be correct for a late model Fusion, but not for a C-Max. That would need to be C1CMA. The TDR EU region would depend entirely on your intended region of course but this indicates (if this person did not intentionally change this block already) that this is an EU destined TCU. To the best of the collective knowledge so far, TCU's cannot be moved between regions. If it was built for EU, it will only work there. Same for North America and other listed regions. OCS, unsure of what that is for but it tracks what we've seen on the H TCU's.

Other than that, everything else lines up. The 754-03-XX and 754-04-XX blocks are just feature toggles. So far it seems like enabling all of these is fine. So that would be setting them all to 7D. 7C disables those. Caveat is 754-03-06 ****-xxxx-xxxx which is a unique bit that is an HEV data publishing frequency. The 0078 it is set to now is fine and can be left as it is.

Probably the key thing here is getting what calibration level/strategy is loaded on that TCU for comparison. All the TCU AsBuilt's as they are currently on the CyanLabs' site don't have anything specific concerning the Go Times/Value Charging (now called Departure Times and Preferred Charge Locations in FordPass respectively) and with the H TCU's this has long since been narrowed down to being tied to an updated calibration and F150Chief over at CyanLabs has already basically confirmed some J/K firmwares have this but doesn't look like we've had a lead on a specific version there yet.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:37 AM, cr08 said:

The bits at 754-01-01 xx** xxxx xxxx look off. All J/K models (as well as other TCU models) in CyanLab's db have everything from 60 through FF listed as 'Reserved'. Though a previous discussion in their forums indicates internally these duplicate some other bits. If I read that conversation and this info correctly, those bits SHOULD map to '38' which indicates the following:

38=VA CGEA 1.3, TDR EU, OCS Configured

Yes, I asked @f150chief about this a couple months ago and he said the 754-01-01 xx6x values map the same as 754-01-01 xx3x values. So what they have in 754-01-01 should be correct/fine for their Fusion Energi. 

I'm still curious/skeptical that they have properly-functioning value charging profiles and go times, because the screenshot that was provided looks exactly the same as mine looked when I had a J TCU installed (and those functions did not work). Not saying it can't be made to work (and indeed I hope it can) but what I have seen so far doesn't seem to show it.

Please keep us updated on your progress, @JoSS!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who hasn't had the swap done yet, found out from a tech at Ford that all C-Max Energi installations are still on hold pending new software, which is not expected to be available until the 4th quarter of this year (so September at the very earliest). Obviously that stinks for people who are still stuck with a nonfunctional 3G modem, but the (potential) good news for all of us is that it sounds like Ford is trying to fix at least some of the broken FordPass features.

Edited by bookemdano

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, JoSS said:

Ok, guys. Finally my TCU has arrived and I flashed the J-series firmware. Everything works like a charm now, but departure times. So, my guess we still have to wait for the new firmware. Attached my config and screenshots bellow.

Thanks for sharing all the details - I wish I had the time to invest in doing the same right now for our 2014 Fusion Energi.

Edited by mextreme

On 8/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, JoSS said:

Ok, guys. Finally my TCU has arrived and I flashed the J-series firmware. Everything works like a charm now, but departure times. So, my guess we still have to wait for the new firmware. Attached my config and screenshots bellow.

Glad you're having some success.

Your screenshot of the TCU PIDs in Forscan shows "Unprovisioned Mode". Did you take that screenshot prior to authorizing the TCU in FordPass, or is that what it says even after you authorized it?

Can you post a screenshot of what your "Charge Settings" screen shows?

Also, are you getting any data in the "My EV driving" section? What about "Tire Pressure Monitoring"?

On 8/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, bookemdano said:

Did you take that screenshot prior to authorizing the TCU in FordPass

Yes, correct. I've attached a screenshot showing the current TCU state. 

final-state.thumb.JPG.055900b65db0ec02ea35693676171d68.JPG

Can you post a screenshot of what your "Charge Settings" screen shows?

Unfortunately it doesn't work as well. I've attached a screenshot. 

IMG_0634.thumb.PNG.fddc93668cbe6c2138fd0c37cf9cbfef.PNGIMG_0635.thumb.PNG.3253960ca8d3d1256e43c88332cab7c8.PNG

IMG_0632.thumb.PNG.05bb173a5b1d110e193c2d2e3b0fc982.PNG

are you getting any data in the "My EV driving" section

Nope, unfortunately.

IMG_0633.thumb.PNG.cd1dbb4462a0f73806d936a71d271a6b.PNG

What about "Tire Pressure Monitoring"?

This one works fine.

IMG_0630.thumb.PNG.1c0e62e3accf5df983c83de146484276.PNG

I've recently found a VIN code from Kuga PHEV 2020 (WF0FXXWPMHLG50572 in case someone else needs it), which came with L-series TCU (LV4T-14G229-FM) and used its TCU asbuilt code with my modem. Still no luck, I don't have EV-related functionality. So, my guess, we need to wait for the updated firmware for j/k series TCUs. Attached my APIM asbuilt as well. I wonder if L-series TCUs also throw 'Partial response received' error.

IMG_0629.thumb.PNG.8cdceefc1fdfffb480a208b9ec750fbb.PNG

tcu-current.JPG

APIM-WACM-ON.JPG

Edited by JoSS

On 8/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, JoSS said:

I've recently found a VIN code from Kuga PHEV 2020 (WF0FXXWPMHLG50572 in case someone else needs it), which came with L-series TCU (LV4T-14G229-FM) and used its TCU asbuilt code with my modem. Still no luck, I don't have EV-related functionality. So, my guess, we need to wait for the updated firmware for j/k series TCUs. Attached my APIM asbuilt as well. I wonder if L-series TCUs also throw 'Partial response received' error.

Pretty sure that L TCUs won't work at all because they are HS4CAN only. Their hardware is different so they cannot be flashed to J calibration. Remember that K TCUs only work in our HS3CAN/ICAN vehicles because they can be flashed backwards to J-level firmware.

Thanks for the extra screenshots. Your experience is similar to when I had a K->J TCU installed in my C-Max Energi. Most of the functions worked but Departure times nor Preferred Charge Times did not work. Tire Pressure Monitoring also did not work, but I think that is because the C-Max is on the older C1MCA architecture vs the Fusion which is CGEA 1.3. 

As you say, maybe a firmware upgrade for the J TCU will be released some day to allow the charging settings to work the Fusion. But even if not, the functions that do work are still better than no TCU at all!

Cheers.

A couple of days ago, as an experiment, I changed 754-03-06 from 0078 to 001E (which I took from Kuga, mentioned above) and now, as a result of it, I no longer face the 'Partial response received' issue, but all my PHEV related functionality is gone. Pretty strange, since I changed the asbuilt a couple of days ago and yesterday it was fine, however today it got changed for some reason. Am I the only one facing this? And Horn/Lights button appeared by the way. 

IMG_0637.PNG

IMG_0636.PNG

On 8/10/2022 at 4:49 AM, JoSS said:

A couple of days ago, as an experiment, I changed 754-03-06 from 0078 to 001E (which I took from Kuga, mentioned above) and now, as a result of it, I no longer face the 'Partial response received' issue, but all my PHEV related functionality is gone. Pretty strange, since I changed the asbuilt a couple of days ago and yesterday it was fine, however today it got changed for some reason. Am I the only one facing this? And Horn/Lights button appeared by the way. 

IMG_0637.PNG

IMG_0636.PNG

With the K->J TCU I also had the Horn/Lights button but it did not function at all for me. Although again that may be due to the C-Max being on the older C1MCA architecture vs. the Fusion which is CGEA 1.3.

According to the cyanlabs TCU database, 754-03-06 corresponds to "HEV Data Monitoring Alert Publishing Frequency", where 0078 = 120 minutes and 00E1 = 30 minutes. Not sure why it would result in anything disappearing from the app, but then again according to your screenshot you still have a "Charge Settings" button. What shows up when you tap on it?

It's possible that the change in FordPass is unrelated to the modification you made to the as-built. I guess the true test is if you set 754-03-06 back to 0078, does everything switch back?

Edit: Just noticed that you said you changed 754-03-06 to 001E. The database says that the 30 minute value is 00E1. I am not sure which of those is correct, but you might double-check which one you set it to. If it's supposed to be 00E1 and you set to 001E then maybe that is causing the problem you are seeing.

Edited by bookemdano

Okay, let me explain in a more detailed way. I had all those settings at place till I changed the next asbuilt TCU data:

754-02-01: 3B20 -> 3F20,

754-03-06: 0078 -> 001E,

754-03-01 - 754-03-10: 7C7C -> 7D7D

Those settings seemed right to me and I left the car in this state. In two days I had the mentioned above changes in FordPass App. So, I reverted back the changes I made to 754-02-01 and 754-02-06, now I've been waiting for a couple of days already and still don't see any FordPass changes. But the strange thing is I had a lot of errors on different modules when I was about revert back those changes, among them I had an error pointing to wrong communication between TCU and BCM. Next, I'm going to revert back the changes I've made to 754-03-01 - 754-03-10: 7C7C -> 7D7D and see if it helps.

One more thing I noticed, with the old values I had a TCU error, which was indicating that the second antenna is missing which is correct. However the updated values which I mentioned above in this post, made those error disappear. So, something's happening here, not sure what.

Edited by JoSS

On 8/12/2022 at 3:50 AM, bookemdano said:

Just noticed that you said you changed 754-03-06 to 001E. The database says that the 30 minute value is 00E1. I am not sure which of those is correct, but you might double-check which one you set it to

Well, I checked it once again and see that Kuga has 001E value, so I did everything right.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, JoSS said:

Well, I checked it once again and see that Kuga has 001E value, so I did everything right.

OK, then it must be a misprint in the cyanlabs database. I will let @f150chief know so he can correct it.

As you've seen, the problem with changing more than one as-built value at a time is that it doesn't help you figure out which value caused which change in behavior. So you might want to revert everything back to the working configuration you started with and then change only one value and wait a couple of days to see if there are any effects. Then change one more value, etc. I know that is easier said than done, but given how little documentation there is about how these TCUs operate we are basically left to reverse engineer everything by observing cause and effect.

The antenna DTC is completely normal as you said. If you are getting lots of other DTCs with the as-built changes you made that is a very strong sign that one or more of them are not configured properly. So that's another reason to change just one value at a time. If that triggers a bunch of DTCs (that return if you clear them) then you know that particular change is incorrect for your particular vehicle and you should either revert it back or try a different value (if there are multiple to choose from).

The 754-03-xx are mainly all data collection parameters, and have recently been documented in the cyanlabs database. According to f150chief, setting to 7D enables data collection for that particular parameter and 7C disables data collection. We have been operating under the assumption that there is no harm to enable all of them (and indeed this is how Ford configures the TCU when doing the 4G TCU swap at a dealership), but who knows... maybe it's possible that some of that data should not be collected and causes problems when it is--I don't know. But again, if you're going to test that you may want to only disable one parameter at a time and test to see if any changes in FordPass.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I've got a 2013 CMax Energie PHEV, and value charging worked until about a week ago.  Now when I go to that screen, only Charge Now is selectable with Value Charge dimmed. 

I've called Ford and their only suggestion was to take it to a dealer. I suspect the dealership at a minimum will want to charge me to update the modem, but I'm afraid they will charge me a lot to dig around and maybe not fix the problem. 

Are there any reputable repair resources?  I don't currently have the bandwidth to dig into the details as they are being discussed here. 

Thanks - Allen 

On 8/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, Allen said:

Hi - I've got a 2013 CMax Energie PHEV, and value charging worked until about a week ago.  Now when I go to that screen, only Charge Now is selectable with Value Charge dimmed. 

I've called Ford and their only suggestion was to take it to a dealer. I suspect the dealership at a minimum will want to charge me to update the modem, but I'm afraid they will charge me a lot to dig around and maybe not fix the problem. 

Are there any reputable repair resources?  I don't currently have the bandwidth to dig into the details as they are being discussed here. 

Thanks - Allen 

I assume you still have the 3G (or even 2G?) modem installed. There are two possibilities--either the modem is locked up or it's dead. With the car off, pull fuse 67 out and reinsert after a couple minutes. If the modem was locked up that procedure should reboot it.

If that doesn't work then the TCU may have gone belly up. In that case, the TCU would have to be replaced.

If you've never messed with fuses before, they're in the passenger side footwell. Sort of a pain in the ass to access but doable.