2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

For reference purposes, I was able to locate a photo I took.  I had a 3G Modem at the time, using MFM.  I called Ford tech support.  They confirmed that the only way to start my vehicle was to insert the key and turn it on that way.

sample_photo.thumb.jpg.0d0b4f7870a9200c064b64d426e7e447.jpg

On 5/3/2022 at 7:30 PM, cr08 said:

Seems like Ford really did start 'dumbing down' both the C-Max and Fusion Hybrid/Energi models in later years.

I was floored when I first figured out they offered any models with keys. Absolutely insane to me that they would spend time effort and money on adding an entirely new set of equipment for keys. It's not even like the 3-button remote is particularly fancy, it doesn't appear to offer nearly as much as the 5 button remote that SELs had. I'd be very interested to be a fly on the wall of that decision and why they thought it'd save them money.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:12 PM, GeR2 said:

For reference purposes, I was able to locate a photo I took.  I had a 3G Modem at the time, using MFM.  I called Ford tech support.  They confirmed that the only way to start my vehicle was to insert the key and turn it on that way.

Your posts made me curious so I did some digging into the wiring diagrams and other resources I have for my 2013 model. The difference between the SE and SEL trims on the 2013-2015 models mostly involved whether various modules or antennas were installed. Given the number of wires, modules, unknown configuration flags, adding OEM remote start seems like it'd be quite a challenge. And this is just for the difference between the 5-button and 3-button keyless entry remotes. Without the wiring diagram for the 2016+ models I'm unsure of what else they stripped off the car haha.

C-Maxes were definitely a weird vehicle, that's for sure.

If you would be willing to DM me your VIN I might be able to tell you some other interesting pieces of information about your vehicle if you're curious. I've been decoding the programmed differences between how our various vehicle versions were configured.

Edited by Cellivar

Yesterday, I went to a public level 2 charging station to see how FP behaves.  Some observations are:

1.) The Battery Charge Logs does not show that I charged my vehicle for 10 minutes.

2.) While on my way to the station, the combustion engine kicked in, but the Estimated fuel economy shows 0.3 MPG under Driving Data > Journeys > My EV Driving Data.  It should be in the realm of 100 - 200 MPG.

For those that charge their vehicle in the public, what shows up in the Battery Charge Logs in FP?

Edited by GeR2

On 5/7/2022 at 9:04 AM, GeR2 said:

Yesterday, I went to a public level 2 charging station to see how FP behaves.  Some observations are:

1.) The Battery Charge Logs does not show that I charged my vehicle for 10 minutes.

2.) While on my way to the station, the combustion engine kicked in, but the Estimated fuel economy shows 0.3 MPG under Driving Data > Journeys > My EV Driving Data.  It should be in the realm of 100 - 200 MPG.

For those that charge their vehicle in the public, what shows up in the Battery Charge Logs in FP?

At least you're getting data populating in "My EV Driving Data"! To this day, nothing has ever shown up in there for me.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:22 PM, GeR2 said:

Update:

FP Version 4.15.0 has been released.  Upon updating the app, I noticed no difference.  Everything is working the same.  No regression. 

Same. Nothing new yet. Though the 'Vehicle Dashboard' is now showing stuff on the page. Nothing too useful there either, though it is tracking the FordPass reported mileage for me (compared to the estimated mileage reported elsewhere on their site). Nothing new in the JSON data though. Same limited status updates that have been there for the past couple weeks now.

Question for you folks,

Under Services > Vehicle Health Reports, there is an option for "Schedule Reports".  Mine is set to "Monthly".  Is that supposed to send a health report to my email address every month regardless if there's a problem or not?

On 5/14/2022 at 3:02 PM, GeR2 said:

Question for you folks,

Under Services > Vehicle Health Reports, there is an option for "Schedule Reports".  Mine is set to "Monthly".  Is that supposed to send a health report to my email address every month regardless if there's a problem or not?

Yep. I've had mine set since I first did the upgrade and have gotten an email from Ford like clockwork every month so far. I get a report even with everything a-ok. (images attached)

Not sure whether this goes through the TCU or if it relies in the Applink/Journey stuff that links to your phone directly, though I think it's the latter.

Which brings me to my next point that it was pointed out by the folks over in the Cyanlabs community that sometime soon, POTENTIALLY Ford is going to be decomissioning FordPass and specifically the Applink/journey/etc stuff that interfaces via Bluetooth/USB. The TCU specific stuff should not be impacted (much). Unfortunately not too many details currently on this. If I see anything new that relates to us, I'll definitely keep that updated here.

https://discord.com/channels/133641094997999617/912758808185540619/971485280232161340

Take that info with grain of salt as the info i have are not 100% clear and complete Ford will soon announce the decommissioning of Ford Pass and its AppLink functionalities. Users with TCU will not be affected too much (although something will probably change for them too) but users without TCU that rely on AppLink features will be fucked very hard. LiveTraffic service will be interrupted, My Journey will be interrupted, Send Destination to Sync will be interrupted, Oil % view and TPMS pressure view will be interrupted... in other words everything related the BT communication will be removed from the app. I do not have exact dates, neither for the official communication (that will be sent to the users) nor for the decommissioning starting date.

Screenshot 2022-05-14 162313.png

Screenshot 2022-05-14 162204.png

Screenshot 2022-05-14 162117.png

Edited by cr08

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, bookemdano said:

Did the upgrade last night. Also seeing no change whatsoever in FordPass. I am not seeing anything missing in the JSON data either (although quite a bit of it is not applicable/incorrect). So that's sort of disappointing. But maybe Ford needs to make changes on their end before any improvement is seen on our side.

Good news is that there is at least no regression from what I can tell. Everything that worked before is still working now.

I keep getting a "service procedure interrupted" error in Forscan while trying to upload the -UN calibration and strategy to my Focus Electric. I'm using an OBDLink EX. Any idea what the issue may be?

My Fordpass only has remote start and lock/unlock capability. No range, charge level, charging status, or location data. The vehicle has been to the dealer twice for several days and they were unable to resolve the issue. After talking to Ford support they said it may require an update on Ford's end. I was hoping that this calibration might fix the issue.

On 5/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, jghall00 said:

I keep getting a "service procedure interrupted" error in Forscan while trying to upload the -UN calibration and strategy to my Focus Electric. I'm using an OBDLink EX. Any idea what the issue may be?

My Fordpass only has remote start and lock/unlock capability. No range, charge level, charging status, or location data. The vehicle has been to the dealer twice for several days and they were unable to resolve the issue. After talking to Ford support they said it may require an update on Ford's end. I was hoping that this calibration might fix the issue.

What point during the flash are you getting the interruption?

I've heard that USB3 ports can be an issue on some laptops. So you might try picking up a cheap USB 2.0 hub (note it must be a USB 2 hub, not a USB3+ hub) and plug that into the laptop and the OBDLink EX into the hub.

You are putting your C-Max FFE on a 6A+ charger before starting this procedure, correct? The firmware flash takes 2+ hours so you must keep the car's 12V battery on an external charger (not your EV charger).

You might also try re-downloading all three files just in case one or more is corrupted.

Edited by bookemdano

Question for you folks:

I just had new tires installed.  Does anyone know of a simple way to test the valve pressure sensors (other than letting the air out of the tires)?  Also, where is the low tire pressure indicator displayed on the FordPass App?

TIA.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:16 PM, GeR2 said:

Question for you folks:

I just had new tires installed.  Does anyone know of a simple way to test the valve pressure sensors (other than letting the air out of the tires)?  Also, where is the low tire pressure indicator displayed on the FordPass App?

TIA.

Try Vehicle (at the bottom of the main screen) >> Status (expand by clicking the down arrow) >> Tire Pressure Monitoring

I wouldn't test the system by letting air out of the tires. If one of the tire pressure sensors is bad, I think you should get a TPMS warning on the instrument panel. (I have not observed this in my C-Max, but once in a Honda CR-V, the TPMS warning appeared when a sensor failed. I went to a tire store and had it replaced.) The graphic is a copy of part of the owner's manual for my 2017 C-Max Energi.

image.png.cb3e513b3aa3a1c654c7ba80bddcaabc.png

Edited by oldbeyondmeasure
Add new information

On 5/31/2022 at 10:55 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Try Vehicle (at the bottom of the main screen) >> Status (expand by clicking the down arrow) >> Tire Pressure Monitoring

I wouldn't test the system by letting air out of the tires. If one of the tire pressure sensors is bad, I think you should get a TPMS warning on the instrument panel. (I have not observed this in my C-Max, but once in a Honda CR-V, the TPMS warning appeared when a sensor failed. I went to a tire store and had it replaced.) The graphic is a copy of part of the owner's manual for my 2017 C-Max Energi.

image.png.cb3e513b3aa3a1c654c7ba80bddcaabc.png

The Vehicle > Status > Tire Pressure Monitoring screen on my smartphone shows this message:

Screenshot_20220601-101812_FordPass.thumb.jpg.a06993718dcded6785c58a3e696170da.jpg

There are no indicators on this screen.  I suppose something would light up on the app if there was a malfunction or low pressure detection, none of which is the case.  This is a good sign, imo.  What are your thoughts on this?

On another note, my tires are rated at 44 psi of pressure, maximum.  The auto shop that installed the tires inflated them to 40 psi (using normal air).  That's what I normally inflate my tire to.  Should I leave it at that?

Edited by GeR2

On 6/1/2022 at 1:32 PM, GeR2 said:

The Vehicle > Status > Tire Pressure Monitoring screen on my smartphone shows this message:

Screenshot_20220601-101812_FordPass.thumb.jpg.a06993718dcded6785c58a3e696170da.jpg

There are no indicators on this screen.  I suppose something would light up on the app if there was a malfunction or low pressure detection, none of which is the case.  This is a good sign, imo.  What are your thoughts on this?

On another note, my tires are rated at 44 psi of pressure, maximum.  The auto shop that installed the tires inflated them to 40 psi (using normal air).  That's what I normally inflate my tire to.  Should I leave it at that?

Yeah. On these vehicles, it will only alert if there's an issue. Under normal operation with working TPMS and proper tire pressures, this is all you'll see.

Is it possible to find out how many of us are 2013 energi users? 

I have been attempting via social media to Ford and have been getting shutdown. I would think that if there were strength in numbers that we could force Ford to give us the option to get the upgrade. I have had mine for 9 years and would still like the capability to track all the usage that was previously available via My Ford Mobile.

dave

On 6/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, Energi8005 said:

Is it possible to find out how many of us are 2013 energi users? 

I have been attempting via social media to Ford and have been getting shutdown. I would think that if there were strength in numbers that we could force Ford to give us the option to get the upgrade. I have had mine for 9 years and would still like the capability to track all the usage that was previously available via My Ford Mobile.

dave

Mine's a 2013 but mine was done DIY and not through Ford officially. But it works just fine (at least what is functional currently. There's some missing EV Trip Data stuff across the board that is likely something Ford is working on from their end.). Another thing to keep in mind is that Ford has stopped all upgrades across the board for the time being while some software related issues are fixed.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, GeR2 said:

I received an interesting message from Ford on my FordPass app the other day.  I thought I'd post it here:

Screenshot_20220604-162026_FordPass_tu.thumb.jpg.98a145c5b71145a8aa34da95a2d86cab.jpg

Anyone else get this?  Any thoughts?

This has been discussed in a little more detail over on the CyanLabs Discord but basically they are just removing the Applink/BT connection related stuff so the current 'My Journeys' feature will be going away (hopefully once they get the EV Trip Data function working, which is solely fed data via the TCU, we'll retain essentially the same functionality. Remains to be seen given the issues going on currently). This likely also means the 'Apps' menu in Sync will be killed off, Oil life display may go away.

It's unsure in details what's going to be affected especially with TCU equipped vehicles. Some features are only communicated via Bluetooth with the vehicle, others done via TCU, some may have overlap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 10:34 PM, Grumman Pilot said:

Is there an upgrade path for me?  

Not officially. The 2013s were excluded from the 21B09 CSP, and that program is on hold anyway while Ford works on software issues.

Your only chance to get the modem replaced by Ford will be asking a dealer if they will do the swap even though it's technically not indicated for the 2013 model year. I believe there's a report in this thread a few pages back from someone who managed to do that. Keep in mind that even if you were able to convince a dealer to do it, you would be responsible for paying parts + labor, to the tune of $500+

Otherwise you'd have to DIY it, which can be done but requires a lot of time, some technical expertise and money outlay for various supplies. Perhaps the biggest obstacle is finding the appropriate model of modem, as they're not commonly found on the used market. Assuming you can find one and are willing to buy the other tools/supplies you're still looking at an investment of a few hundred bucks and hours of your time.

So it sort of comes down to how important this is to you. After using the new modem and FordPass now for a few months I am not finding it to be quite as useful or convenient as MyFordMobile was. Sure I can still lock/unlock/remote start the car, find it on a map and see the current fuel/battery level. But what's not working is seeing the status of doors/windows and a log of trips. Those were two functions I used a lot in MFM. Maybe Ford will get those features working, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it. To be brutally honest, Ford does not care at all about the Energis anymore--they never sold well and have all been discontinued years ago.