2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

Aha! 

Now we know why Ford was "pausing" installations the past few weeks. Sucks for them that they're likely going to have to bring back every car they upgraded to apply this update. Fascinated to see what this fixes!

As for the file dates, guessing that is normal for a car company--probably takes them weeks/months to QA and roll out these files after compiling 'em. Their liability would be huge if a car gets bricked (or worse, causes an accident). I assume -UM had to be ready extra early because I think they pre-flashed all the 21B09 TCUs before sending them out to dealers.

@GeR2 You might want to check to see if your dealer already updated your modem with this version. It was only a week or two ago, so there is a chance that the -UN update was available in their IDS at the time (and would help explain why they thought they were doing something to fix the problem).

Just hook up your OBD2 adapter to Forscan, turn car on, hit the connect button in Forscan and when it asks you if you want to load a saved profile, click No. That way Forscan will re-query each module in the car and get its current software level. Give it a minute to do that and then go to the Configuration tab and look for the TCU. -UN or -UP indicates it's been updated. -UM not.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:14 AM, bookemdano said:

Aha! 

Now we know why Ford was "pausing" installations the past few weeks. Sucks for them that they're likely going to have to bring back every car they upgraded to apply this update. Fascinated to see what this fixes!

As for the file dates, guessing that is normal for a car company--probably takes them weeks/months to QA and roll out these files after compiling 'em. Their liability would be huge if a car gets bricked (or worse, causes an accident). I assume -UM had to be ready extra early because I think they pre-flashed all the 21B09 TCUs before sending them out to dealers.

@GeR2 You might want to check to see if your dealer already updated your modem with this version. It was only a week or two ago, so there is a chance that the -UN update was available in their IDS at the time (and would help explain why they thought they were doing something to fix the problem).

Just hook up your OBD2 adapter to Forscan, turn car on, hit the connect button in Forscan and when it asks you if you want to load a saved profile, click No. That way Forscan will re-query each module in the car and get its current software level. Give it a minute to do that and then go to the Configuration tab and look for the TCU. -UN or -UP indicates it's been updated. -UM not.

I'm intrigued enough to give it a try.  I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I find.

Edit:  Here is a screen capture of the Configuration > TCU module screen:

2064646425_tcuconfig-tu.thumb.jpg.d9ce698a24e78c6dd5123666d2279e2e.jpg

According to your information it appears that the TCU was not updated.  I'm assuming that the dealer performed a software update, but is no different than what is currently installed.

Edited by GeR2

On 4/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, GeR2 said:

I'm intrigued enough to give it a try.  I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I find.

Edit:  Here is a screen capture of the Configuration > TCU module screen:

2064646425_tcuconfig-tu.thumb.jpg.d9ce698a24e78c6dd5123666d2279e2e.jpg

According to your information it appears that the TCU was not updated.  I'm assuming that the dealer performed a software update, but is no different than what is currently installed.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly when the -UN firmware was made available to dealerships--might have just been in the last few days. 

@cr08 flashed his modem with that update today, so I'm sure he will post an update once he's had time to see what (if anything) is different. Then you can decide if it's worth your while to pay another visit to the dealer to get the new software.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:29 AM, bookemdano said:

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly when the -UN firmware was made available to dealerships--might have just been in the last few days. 

@cr08 flashed his modem with that update today, so I'm sure he will post an update once he's had time to see what (if anything) is different. Then you can decide if it's worth your while to pay another visit to the dealer to get the new software.

No changes that I can tell so far with two mixed EV+Gas trips this evening. Everything that has been functioning is still ok. Nothing new added. Still waiting for the EV Trip Data to populate. I've yet to have that show so far in all of this. That said, the update was successful and is functioning so there is that. Go Times and Value Charging are still there and functional.

Screenshot (102_2).png

EDIT: One thing I guess I should note is the secret little JSON aggregate on Ford's site that has all the FordPass data mysteriously is missing like half of the data, though I believe this occurred right before I initiated the calibration update. Still missing a chunk after the fact. I'll document the process for that below for those interested in checking it out:

1) Access Ford Owner Support from a Chromium based browser for best results (Edge works here as an example).

2) Log in and once the page loads, open the developer console. F12 should do the trick here.

3) In the developer console, choose the Network tab and in the filter box, enter 'countrycode'

4) In the listing that has been pared down with that filter, you should have two 'status?countryCode=us&vin=....' entries. One will be 0B in size, the other will probably be a couple KB. This second one is the one we want. Select it and a bunch of data should show.

Edited by cr08

Did the upgrade last night. Also seeing no change whatsoever in FordPass. I am not seeing anything missing in the JSON data either (although quite a bit of it is not applicable/incorrect). So that's sort of disappointing. But maybe Ford needs to make changes on their end before any improvement is seen on our side.

Good news is that there is at least no regression from what I can tell. Everything that worked before is still working now.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, bookemdano said:

Did the upgrade last night. Also seeing no change whatsoever in FordPass. I am not seeing anything missing in the JSON data either (although quite a bit of it is not applicable/incorrect). So that's sort of disappointing. But maybe Ford needs to make changes on their end before any improvement is seen on our side.

Good news is that there is at least no regression from what I can tell. Everything that worked before is still working now.

I am now also at “-UN” level on my FFE’s “H” series TCU.   Same functionality and thankfully no regressions.   Hopefully more improvements are still coming in the app and the backend over the summer.

BTW interesting Forscan behavior (that you folks may already be aware of) in that after the update to the UN level the option to make any other firmware changes to the TCU disappeared, but the ability to edit the “754 . . “ remained (I made no changes).   On many of the other modules the firmware update option remains available . . . So apparently Forscan takes away the firmware update option (at least in the beta version I am using) once you are “current” per Ford and reverting to a prior version does not seem to be an available option.

Edited by JTEX

On 4/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, JTEX said:

I am now also at “-UN” level on my FFE’s “H” series TCU.   Same functionality and thankfully no regressions.   Hopefully more improvements are still coming in the app and the backend over the summer.

BTW interesting Forscan behavior (that you folks may already be aware of) in that after the update to the UN level the option to make any other firmware changes to the TCU disappeared, but the ability to edit the “754 . . “ remained (I made no changes).   On many of the other modules the firmware update option remains available . . . So apparently Forscan takes away the firmware update option (at least in the beta version I am using) once you are “current” per Ford and reverting to a prior version does not seem to be an available option.

You might want to try having ForScan re-scan the modules without using a saved profile if you haven't already. If that doesn't do it, you may want to see if you can track down the latest beta build. Mine still gives me the firmware update option after this.

ForScan for me wasn't even aware that UN was available or a current version. It still assumes UM is the latest available. In reality I don't think it cares and should not be hiding the firmware update function even if you are current because these modules can usually be downgraded without issue.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:08 PM, cr08 said:

You might want to try having ForScan re-scan the modules without using a saved profile if you haven't already. If that doesn't do it, you may want to see if you can track down the latest beta build. Mine still gives me the firmware update option after this.

ForScan for me wasn't even aware that UN was available or a current version. It still assumes UM is the latest available. In reality I don't think it cares and should not be hiding the firmware update function even if you are current because these modules can usually be downgraded without issue.

Thanks . . .good call.  I will try as you suggested over the weekend and report back.

@bookemdano and @GeR2
I just did the update. The whole effort (starting from downloading the software) took me about 45 min thanks to the amazing guidance that you've put up on this thread.

Everything works - Happy Days!! Thank you both so much!

One follow up question - when I hit the start button on the app, some sort of air conditioning/heating comes on in the car. Is there a way to set the temperature for this? And also, does it matter whether the car is plugged in or not?

Another follow up question - now that I have this cable... Are there any other super safe and easy updates/upgrades that you suggest I consider?

Thanks again!

On 4/28/2022 at 9:09 AM, Nervous but Excited said:

@bookemdano and @GeR2
I just did the update. The whole effort (starting from downloading the software) took me about 45 min thanks to the amazing guidance that you've put up on this thread.

One follow up question - when I hit the start button on the app, some sort of air conditioning/heating comes on in the car. Is there a way to set the temperature for this? And also, does it matter whether the car is plugged in or not?

Another follow up question - now that I have this cable... Are there any other super safe and easy updates/upgrades that you suggest I consider?

Thanks again!

... I am honestly SO Stoked about this!! Taking the car back to the dealer would have been a big hassle, and I don't think they would have known what to do about it. 
Everybody on this forum is a frikkin legend! ?

On 4/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, Nervous but Excited said:

@bookemdano and @GeR2

Thanks again!

You likely have climate settings configured for remote start in the vehicle. On the IPC/gauge cluster, the left side screen under Vehicle Settings there should be a menu for Remote Start and it has various options. Applies to both remote start via the fob and the app.

For the settings with Auto or 'Last Setting', Auto will automatically run the HVAC at desired internal automatic settings, regardless of what you previously had your HVAC controls set to, even if they were off. I believe it aims for a set temp of 72f and whatever the preferred vent configuration would be (usually foot vents for heat, face for A/C, front defrost kicks in below freezing out). These cannot be changed. The settings it aims for on Auto mode are hardcoded. 'Last Setting' is obvious and will simply follow what you had the HVAC controls set to previously. 

As far as firmware updates are concerned, I think the general consensus is to not do them unless you have a specific thing you are trying to fix that has been documented as needing an update. Especially on the more mission critical modules like the PCM, BdyCM/BCM, IPC, and the hybrid related modules. A failed update on any of those will make the car entirely inoperable. Less critical modules like the TCU/Modem we've been dealing with here, APIM, ACM, and others will just cause an inconvenience but the car will still -usually- be drivable. 

Edited by cr08

Thanks - I'll check out the Remote Start settings next time I'm in the car. I don't think I have a remote start option from the key (image of key attached). Please let me know if there is indeed a way to start using this key (which looks like something from the 90's).

Edited by Nervous but Excited

Doesn't look like you have the button on there. Should be a distinct button that looks like a circle with a 2x in the middle.

Definitely check the menus and see if the Remote Start options are there AND able to be modified and not just greyed out. Though if the remote start from FordPass works, these should be there. If that all checks out, likely you were provided the wrong key when you bought the car. Seems a number of people on the FB C-Max groups may have experienced this as well. I'd bug your dealer to get the proper key with the remote start button.

On 4/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, GeR2 said:

Just wondering... For those that performed a DIY upgrade on the 4G modem, is the modem's antenna connected to the radio antenna that's mounted on top of the car?

Not stock, no. I don't believe any of the C-Max model years came with the option for an LTE/cellular antenna integrated into the rooftop antenna combo. May even be the same with the Fusion. I don't think any of the 3G modem parts had the option for an external antenna. Mine didn't when I pulled it. Even the official upgrade instructions just has an separate antenna they have you attach with adhesive tape/velcro to the nearest trim piece.

That said, other Ford models do have this option with the rooftop antenna including all the different options and they usually have an antenna splitter harness to break out the different feeds (AM/FM, Sirius, GPS, and LTE). It's something that is on the potential agenda to add to my 2013 at some point down the road.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, cr08 said:

Not stock, no. I don't believe any of the C-Max model years came with the option for an LTE/cellular antenna integrated into the rooftop antenna combo. May even be the same with the Fusion. I don't think any of the 3G modem parts had the option for an external antenna. Mine didn't when I pulled it. Even the official upgrade instructions just has an separate antenna they have you attach with adhesive tape/velcro to the nearest trim piece.

That said, other Ford models do have this option with the rooftop antenna including all the different options and they usually have an antenna splitter harness to break out the different feeds (AM/FM, Sirius, GPS, and LTE). It's something that is on the potential agenda to add to my 2013 at some point down the road.

Whether using the official Ford “stick on” flat 4G antenna used in the official upgrade, the one available on Amazon (that yields a harmless DTC), or the one you can buy from Ford for $35ish (that is detailed in the F150 forum about this and must be screwed/grounded in) you will find the as a rule (at least I have found this to be the case) your 4G TCU reception and responsiveness is dramatically better even if the antenna is not on the roof, but rather hidden someplace under the back window ?.   Unlike cell phones that have to successfully manage lots of packets of data with sufficient reliability to assure normal sounding voices, the TCU communicates very simple encrypted data sets via 4G back and forth with “Fordpass central” in the cloud (your app talks to Fordpass in the cloud which then talks to your car . . .the smartphone Fordpass app doesn’t communicate directly with your vehicle).  Indeed 4G for this purpose is a huge improvement.

Edited by JTEX

On 4/30/2022 at 10:06 AM, GeR2 said:

I noticed yesterday that there was a new update for the FordPass app.  I didn't notice anything different.  Anyone else find something new?

Same here.  Thankfully I have yet to find any regressions.   One minor improvement seems to be you do not have to pull down 5 times to get it to really refresh on charge state/range.  Now once or twice will do it.  Under the account icon you can now access via the app (versus logging in via a browser) “connected services,” but I believe that is for hot spot equipment vehicles and perhaps pure EVs.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:29 AM, Nervous but Excited said:

Thanks - I'll check out the Remote Start settings next time I'm in the car. I don't think I have a remote start option from the key (image of key attached). Please let me know if there is indeed a way to start using this key (which looks like something from the 90's).

You have a non-remote-start key in a base model (SE) C-Max. Unfortunately based on some research it doesn't look like there's a way to install factory remote start easily, you'd need to add several wires, antennas, and modify several modules. Ford didn't make it easy on post-facelift versions, alas. Earlier models came with either a 3 or 5 button remote, the latter of which had remote start. This was a standard feature on pre-facelift Energi models, which were all SEL trim.

Because your vehicle isn't configured with the remote start feature FordPass is going to be the only way to start your car, and the system configuration won't let you change any of the remote start settings from within the car.

As a sidenote you should avoid posting images of your key's bitting online, it's relatively easy to duplicate keys based on photos of them.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, cr08 said:

Doesn't look like you have the button on there. Should be a distinct button that looks like a circle with a 2x in the middle.

Definitely check the menus and see if the Remote Start options are there AND able to be modified and not just greyed out. Though if the remote start from FordPass works, these should be there. If that all checks out, likely you were provided the wrong key when you bought the car. Seems a number of people on the FB C-Max groups may have experienced this as well. 

Is there a key (not keyless) version of remote start? So far from what I've seen diving through VIN details a lot of the Hybrid models had a 3 button keyless entry remote without remote start, and that turned into a key without remote start for the post-facelift models. It was only the 5 button Intelligent Access Keys that had remote start, I think. Still researching this one.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:49 AM, cr08 said:

I went through the trouble when I did my Sync 3 retrofit in my 2013 Energi. Royal pain in the backside getting the wires routed properly through the dash, but the GPS signal is clear as a bell even in my basement garage. Hit me up on CyanLabs if you want photos and part numbers.

per someone in the Cyanlabs discord, the 21B09 CSP has been paused again as of April 29th and ALL installations are on hold at least until the end of this month.

They have extended the 21B09 program through 3/2023, but no mention if they will be expanding the number of cars receiving the free labor coverage.

So at least Ford is working on this, and hopefully will get the remaining bugs worked out.

Edit: In addition, Ford instructed dealers to hold off on modem swaps for C-Maxes with 4" Sync screens until a software update is released, which they expect to release this September. 

Edited by bookemdano

On 5/1/2022 at 8:41 AM, Cellivar said:

You have a non-remote-start key in a base model (SE) C-Max. Unfortunately based on some research it doesn't look like there's a way to install factory remote start easily, you'd need to add several wires, antennas, and modify several modules. Ford didn't make it easy on post-facelift versions, alas. Earlier models came with either a 3 or 5 button remote, the latter of which had remote start. This was a standard feature on pre-facelift Energi models, which were all SEL trim.

Because your vehicle isn't configured with the remote start feature FordPass is going to be the only way to start your car, and the system configuration won't let you change any of the remote start settings from within the car.

As a sidenote you should avoid posting images of your key's bitting online, it's relatively easy to duplicate keys based on photos of them.

Is there a key (not keyless) version of remote start? So far from what I've seen diving through VIN details a lot of the Hybrid models had a 3 button keyless entry remote without remote start, and that turned into a key without remote start for the post-facelift models. It was only the 5 button Intelligent Access Keys that had remote start, I think. Still researching this one.

It's my understanding that for FordPass to have the remote start functions working, it does rely on the vehicle being equipped with Remote Start internally and having it be enabled as well. Given the comment made above about the options being available in the app and the air conditioning starting up, it seems likely it is equipped with RS. Verifying the options on the left screen in the cluster/IPC would also confirm this 100%.

Beyond that, can't really comment on the cross-comparison between trims, key vs keyless, and RS availability. I don't have specific posts on the FB groups to provide where this has come up, but I recall at least one user with a keyed ignition C-Max that was equipped with RS and the dealer somehow provided them a key without that button.

One additional assumption but has been proven out on other Ford models that I've seen commented on over the years is that if the vehicle IS equipped with RS but you have the wrong key, it is usually as simple as getting a key with the RS button and doing the normal programming process (either the DIY process mentioned in the manual to add an additional key if you already have two or going through the dealer, a locksmith, or ForScan if you are so inclined.).

The keys with the remote start button do exist. Here's one source I found. Can't comment on compatibility with the C-Max though: 2015 Ford Explorer Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob 164-R8000 5921467 CWTWB1U793 (carandtruckremotes.com)

As per the conversation regarding remote start on a Cmax Energe SE vehicle, this is what I've observed...

Firstly, the year / model of my car is 2017 Cmax Energi SE.  My Key Fob do not include a remote start button.  Prior to having the modem upgraded to 4G, I was using the MyFordMobile app. The MyFordMobile app had a remote start feature.  It was a bit awkward.  When I pressed the RS button on the app, the car's climate control would turn on and there was a message on the left display on the instrument cluster.  It said to press the brake and the start button at the same time.  My car doesn't have a "Start" button so that feature didn't work.  I'm guessing Ford never updated that part of the software for SE model Cmax's such that the message isn't displayed.  

Fast forward to today, I have a 4G modem installed.  The FordPass app has a "Start" button on the home screen.  When I press it, it turns on the climate control but does not give the option to start the vehicle.

Edited by GeR2

On 5/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, GeR2 said:

As per the conversation regarding remote start on a Cmax Energe SE vehicle, this is what I've observed...

Firstly, the year / model of my car is 2017 Cmax Energi SE.  My Key Fobs does not include a remote start button.  Prior to having the modem upgraded to 4G, I was using the MyFordMobile app. The MyFordMobile app had a remote start feature.  It was a bit awkward.  When I pressed the RS button on the app, the car's climate control would turn on and there was a message on the left display on the instrument cluster.  It said to press the brake and the start button at the same time.  My car doesn't have a "Start" button so that feature didn't work.  I'm guessing Ford never updated that part of the software for SE model Cmax's such that the message isn't displayed.  

Fast forward to today, I have a 4G modem installed.  The FordPass app has a "Start" button on the home screen.  When I press it, it turns on the climate control but does not give the option to start the vehicle.

The 2013-2016 Energis were all SEL trim with factory remote start, so I can see why MFM wasn't built with a provision to hide it in the UI. It was only the 2017 (and final) model year where Ford offered the basic SE trim for the Energi. And by then they were in the process of writing off the C-Max entirely, so I guess they didn't feel like spending the money to fix it. Pretty amateurish! 

I'm sure this is something they could address in FordPass, but again that would cost money. I would venture to guess that less than 1000 '17 Energi SEs are even going to do the modem upgrade, so chances are it's not going to change.

YEah, I just had a chance to review the brochure for the 2016's and kinda wild that the SE trims weren't even offered the option of remote start but came with MFM standard. So I guess my original information was wrong that remote start is needed in the vehicle for that to function in the app. At the same time, it's a very interesting 'bypass' for sure. May also explain why the wording for pushing the brake and start button on the IPC/dash is there as they never intended the key equipped vehicles to have RS.

Seems like Ford really did start 'dumbing down' both the C-Max and Fusion Hybrid/Energi models in later years.