2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 3/25/2022 at 3:24 PM, bookemdano said:

Is anyone who did the upgrade getting any trip history in Driving Data > Journeys > My EV driving data?

Mine is constantly blank despite several recent trips. I did not enable the journey recording, but that shouldn't really be necessary because that uses your phone and the EV driving data should all come direct from the TCU (just as it did with MFM).

The EV trips option actually disappeared on mine sometime around when I enabled the journey tracking option, but may have been caused by something else. Also the scheduled charging stuff has been missing for about the same time. I'm thinking about trying going through the reset/TCU factory mode process again and drive around and see if any of that info returns.

BIG progress delivered via the latest release of FordPass for iOS today (v4.13.0):

- banner now appears at bottom in either Home or Vehicle screen that summaries results of most recent charge.  It has a details button, but so far clicking on that presents a momentary “Fordpass is unavailable” at the top of the modal with only the estimated distance being available in that modal.

- in Vehicle/Driving data even if you don’t have journeys turned on you do see an active link that takes you to a working driving monthly summary and

- under EV data more detail on recent drives

On the Vehicles screen the charge settings button no longer gives a red error but the setting routine for preferred charge times (I suspect this is what was called “value charge” in MFM) doesn’t do anything because the “locations” still does not work.

Charge level notification still has the error after the long progress error.

So awesome progress for the Fordpass development team.   It seems we are very close to getting back control via the Fordpass of what was called in MFM Value Charge (and still is called that in Sync)

On 3/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, SlaV77 said:

Hello, I need a copy of the settings that are installed in the TCU in the US as part of the TCU 3G replacement service for 4G in Ford Fusion Energi.

recommend starting at page 11 on this forum . .. not trying to be a pain, but without the context I could send you in the wrong direction just by quoting the settings

On 3/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, SlaV77 said:

Settings from cmax do not match fusion, different platform.

Correct, but in these forums there are all the links to get to (for example) the Cyanlabs database where you can figure out what the values need to be.  Even then some well advised cautious trial and error is likely needed.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, SlaV77 said:

Hello, I need a copy of the settings that are installed in the TCU in the US as part of the TCU 3G replacement service for 4G in Ford Fusion Energi.

Someone (sorry I forget who) posted this on the Cyanlabs discord a few weeks ago. I believe this person said they had the official TCU swap done at Ford (in the US of course).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: To clarify, these values are for a Fusion Energi.

Fusion 4G TCU Asbuilt.jpg

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, JDBlue said:

For doing the TCU install, where did you all find a guide for removing all the necessary panels?

I pulled from Ford's WSM (Workshop Manual) for the official procedure. I've attached that below. I intended to try and video the process when I did mine but it didn't come out how I wanted at the time.

TCU_WSM.pdf

Hello, I have a request, can anyone check with Forscan what software you have in TCU after updating on the Ford website from 3g to 4g?
You need to connect the car to the computer, scan (1) Then switch to the Configuration tab (2) and read the configuration of the TCU module (3) I'm interested in calibration and strategy. If you could take a picture like I did and send it to me please.

Bez tytułu.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 2:56 AM, SlaV77 said:

Hello, I have a request, can anyone check with Forscan what software you have in TCU after updating on the Ford website from 3g to 4g?
You need to connect the car to the computer, scan (1) Then switch to the Configuration tab (2) and read the configuration of the TCU module (3) I'm interested in calibration and strategy. If you could take a picture like I did and send it to me please.

Bez tytułu.jpg

I will likely not be able to get to pull the exact information until much later today (US time) or tomorrow, but from everything learned on this forum (and the FFE sister forum) what Ford dealers are installing (and I also purchased used that worked) in the 3G to 4G upgrades are TCUs that have part numbers beginning with “H” (so just have the one LTE antenna connection . . . Not also with the hotspot antenna connection).  I was unsuccessful trying it with a “K” TCU.   Additionally with such a “H” TCU the working calibration and strategy as installed by Ford dealers and successful DIYs on this forum ends in “UM.”   Perhaps other variants with later model TCUs, calibrations, etc. could be made to work, but I have yet to pick up both the “how to” and successful project results..

On 3/29/2022 at 12:56 AM, SlaV77 said:

Bez tytułu.jpg

For 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3, after Ford dealer update, here is the information I think you are seeking:

Forscan_TCU_Configuration.png

On 3/28/2022 at 5:29 PM, bookemdano said:

Someone (sorry I forget who) posted this on the Cyanlabs discord a few weeks ago. I believe this person said they had the official TCU swap done at Ford (in the US of course).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: To clarify, these values are for a Fusion Energi.

Fusion 4G TCU Asbuilt.jpg

To compare with the same information for a 2017 C-Max Energi, see the edited screenshot below. I hope this is helpful to someone. Also, does anyone know what the settings in the 754-02-01 line are for?

TCU_Configuration_Screenshot_with_Arrow.png

On 3/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Also, does anyone know what the settings in the 754-02-01 line are for?

Info copied from here.

First digit:

OLT = On Line Telematics

CCS = Customer Connectivity Setting

0=OLT Disabled, CCS Disabled
1=OLT Disabled, CCS Enabled
2=OLT Enabled, CCS Disabled
3=OLT Enabled, CCS Enabled

Second digit:

DUFE = Data Usage Feature Enablement

HPDM= HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring Enabled

VHM = Vehicle Health Monitor

WHF = WiFi Hotspot Feature Enabled

0=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
1=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
2=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
3=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
4=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
5=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
6=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
7=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
8=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
9=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
A=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
B=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
C=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
D=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
E=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
F=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled

Third digit:

FFE = Ford OTA Feature Enabled

PPS = PwPck Setting

TORC = Transmission of Rolling Code

SB = Secondary Battery Enable

0=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
1=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
2=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
3=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
4=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
5=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
6=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
7=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
8=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
9=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
A=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
B=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
C=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
D=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
E=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
F=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled

Fourth digit:

PB = Primary Battery Enable

ECALL = ECALL Enable

TBM = Tracking and Blocking Module Enable

FTF = Fleet Telematics Feature Enable

0=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
1=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
2=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
3=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
4=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
5=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
6=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
7=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
8=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
9=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
A=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
B=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
C=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
D=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
E=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
F=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled

The difference between Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi is in the first two digits. In the first digit, the Fusion's TCU has "Customer Connectivity Setting" enabled, whereas the C-Max doesn't. 

In the second digit, the Fusion's TCU has "Data Usage Feature", "HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring" and "Vehicle Health Monitor" enabled--the C-Max has none.

Perhaps @David_Tucker4, @bakedpatato or @cr08 have experimented with those settings--I have not.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, bookemdano said:

Info copied from here.

First digit:

OLT = On Line Telematics

CCS = Customer Connectivity Setting

0=OLT Disabled, CCS Disabled
1=OLT Disabled, CCS Enabled
2=OLT Enabled, CCS Disabled
3=OLT Enabled, CCS Enabled

Second digit:

DUFE = Data Usage Feature Enablement

HPDM= HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring Enabled

VHM = Vehicle Health Monitor

WHF = WiFi Hotspot Feature Enabled

0=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
1=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
2=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
3=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
4=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
5=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
6=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
7=DUFE Disabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
8=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
9=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
A=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
B=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Disabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled
C=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Disabled
D=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Disabled, WHF Enabled
E=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Disabled
F=DUFE Enabled, HPDM Enabled, VHM Enabled, WHF Enabled

Third digit:

FFE = Ford OTA Feature Enabled

PPS = PwPck Setting

TORC = Transmission of Rolling Code

SB = Secondary Battery Enable

0=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
1=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
2=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
3=FFE Disabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
4=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
5=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
6=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
7=FFE Disabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
8=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
9=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
A=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
B=FFE Enabled, PPS Disabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled
C=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Disabled
D=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Disabled, SB Enabled
E=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Disabled
F=FFE Enabled, PPS Enabled, TORC Enabled, SB Enabled

Fourth digit:

PB = Primary Battery Enable

ECALL = ECALL Enable

TBM = Tracking and Blocking Module Enable

FTF = Fleet Telematics Feature Enable

0=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
1=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
2=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
3=PB Disabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
4=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
5=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
6=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
7=PB Disabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
8=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
9=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
A=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
B=PB Enabled, ECALL Disabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled
C=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Disabled
D=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Disabled, FTF Enabled
E=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Disabled
F=PB Enabled, ECALL Enabled, TBM Enabled, FTF Enabled

The difference between Fusion Energi and C-Max Energi is in the first two digits. In the first digit, the Fusion's TCU has "Customer Connectivity Setting" enabled, whereas the C-Max doesn't. 

In the second digit, the Fusion's TCU has "Data Usage Feature", "HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring" and "Vehicle Health Monitor" enabled--the C-Max has none.

Perhaps @David_Tucker4, @bakedpatato or @cr08 have experimented with those settings--I have not.

I've consistently had 754-01-01 set to B842 on mine.

754-02-01 I've jumped between 00A0, 1EA0, and currently have 1EE0. Honestly haven't seen any change in functionality between any of those and will probably switch back to 1EA0. And I believe someone has confirmed having this on their C-Max with the official upgrade. So much info floating around though so I'm not 100% and would have to go digging for it. ?

I tried 1EE0 to add that 'PwrPck' option just to test a theory on some statuses I was seeing. On Ford's website (https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle-dashboard/) you can use the Dev mode in your web browser to get some more detailed info provided from FordPass and I had noticed there's an 'outandAbout' option and it mentions the PwrPck feature but it is unavailable so I wanted to see if that change made a difference but so far seems to have not changed anything so likely going to switch back to 1EA0.

Anyone else have the their local Ford dealer put a hold on doing the upgrades ?

I ordered the part and was in process of scheduling appointment to get it installed (depending on price I might DIY).

Anyways - I was told Ford put a hold on dealers doing the upgrade - due to software issues.

Rep mentioned that the recent upgrades at local shop had issues.

No timeline for when they will continue the upgrades.

Note:  I was also told if you don't return the order or a core within 30 days - you will loose the $200 core charge no matter what.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, mextreme said:

Anyone else have the their local Ford dealer put a hold on doing the upgrades ?

I ordered the part and was in process of scheduling appointment to get it installed (depending on price I might DIY).

Anyways - I was told Ford put a hold on dealers doing the upgrade - due to software issues.

Rep mentioned that the recent upgrades at local shop had issues.

No timeline for when they will continue the upgrades.

Note:  I was also told if you don't return the order or a core within 30 days - you will loose the $200 core charge no matter what.

Regarding the core charge bit, I'd definitely push back on your dealer if that comes to pass since Ford is the one delaying things.

That said, not too surprised with the quirks and bugs and how haphazard things have been on the official end of things. I'm curious what model year C-Max you have though? I know in some later bulletins they had started holding off for some model years due to compatibility issues.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, cr08 said:

Regarding the core charge bit, I'd definitely push back on your dealer if that comes to pass since Ford is the one delaying things.

That said, not too surprised with the quirks and bugs and how haphazard things have been on the official end of things. I'm curious what model year C-Max you have though? I know in some later bulletins they had started holding off for some model years due to compatibility issues.

Service rep made it sound as in general they were holding off for all related vehicles.

Not to confuse people - this could be 100% local dealer decision.

We have a 2014 Fusion Energi.

I am going to call parts dept and see about the core charge issue - I don't want to return a part only to find out they won't be available later when they are back to installing.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:11 AM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

For 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3, after Ford dealer update, here is the information I think you are seeking:

Forscan_TCU_Configuration.png

And here is mine (that works in my FFE)

7ADB91D2-09F4-4AA3-9FA6-CB18B40665B0.png

Edited by JTEX

On 3/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, cr08 said:

I pulled from Ford's WSM (Workshop Manual) for the official procedure. I've attached that below. I intended to try and video the process when I did mine but it didn't come out how I wanted at the time.

TCU_WSM.pdf 1.25 MB · 9 downloads

Thanks! I will give this a try and report back if I come across anything that isn't noted here!

On 3/30/2022 at 2:08 AM, JDBlue said:

Thanks! I will give this a try and report back if I come across anything that isn't noted here!

The only issue I ran into was the actual side panel (the final piece of the puzzle to remove) wouldn't come out easily. It is wedged under a lip of metal on the top of the battery casing in the back corner right behind the seat. I had to essentially 'rock out' the panel from the top. This is different than what the WSM suggests sliding it straight out.

Other than that, the rest of the process was straightforward. Once I was able to get the side panel off, I basically followed the same exact instructions laid out in the CSP for the TCU installation including placement, use of velcro strips, etc.. Since the DIY modules are essentially identical to the official ones, that process is no different.

EDIT: As an FYI for the thread as a whole, I'll work on updating and cleaning up the initial post of the thread with the new and relevant info we have so far. Will try and get this done in the next day or two.

Edited by cr08

With regard to notifications, app status, etc. I just posted in the FFE forum on this 4G upgrade:

My Fordpass app screens are identical (to those posted in the FFE forum) and I get a screen notification within the Fordpass app that is a banner within the app that appears on the bottom.   This morning for example it reads: “ Reached 100% charge” then shows the approximate time it was finished.  To the right in that banner it has a “Details” button.  When I click on Details the next screen usually has a “Fordpass timed out” at the top in red, shows the charge range, and then a bunch of empty rows for other aspects.

I am hoping that when the “Charge Level Notification” button starts working (versus “Loading” circle running for many minutes without success” that it will give us an app push notification & an email (like MFM did) when charge is completed, but at least now know charge level via the app is progress.

Tops on my list of function fixes will be the arrival of charge parameters/timing control via the app (what was called “Value Charge” in MFM).   Once that arrives and given the other progress my needs will be met.

Some concerns:

- ANNOYING -the current Fordpass app (or the backend) is very buggy (so hard to believe it passed thorough sufficient testing).   The best example is when you start the app in the morning on your phone after a charge was likely completed and click on “vehicle” then the screen (nor lower banner) will not show the car is charged.  Then you do the classic “update” pull down move at the top and the app will charge from “updated 7 hours ago” to “updated just now”, but will still not show the battery has been charged.  Then you pull down yet again for another update and it will show the actual fully charged info.   Yes, I do have background app refresh on in iOS for Fordpass and I am on a fast low latency network.   This is purely a buggy app thing or very sluggish backend at Ford.

- VERY WORRIED ABOUT- Systems wise the app/Ford backend/car integration is likely very similar to typical IOT devices wherein the Fordpass app is never talking directly to the car, but rather the app is only talking with backend servers at Ford and those servers’ APIs  in turn talk to the car.   So the 4G modem TCU at steady state when nothing is happening should be just basically listening in a very low power mode and only pulling more power to transmit when either the backend tells it “hey wake up and send us the following data . . .. or do the following (as in unlock the door because the servers have picked up the app asking for such)“ or something happens with the car (as in battery fully charged event) so the car then proactively calls on the TCU to transmit to send data to the Ford servers.  For both cell data traffic management and power consumption this is the way it should work ?   But as shared in another post lately the dialogue between the TCU and the car seems very “chatty” as I can be doing chores in the garage and hear the relay clamp under the hood a few times each hour even though the car is fully charged, plugged in, and I am not asking the vehicle to do anything via the app.   So either the backend is frequently asking the car for info or the car is frequently on its own wanting to send the backend data.  The problem with this is potential major drain impact to the 12v battery.   So one parks your FFE or CMax plug in at the airport for a few days and do you come back to a dead 12volt battery?     Hopefully the “system off to save the battery” logic will have intervened, but???   There was chatter in one of the other forums about some dealers claiming the upgrade program was on hold . . . If that is true (perhaps was just particular dealer talk) it could be because the beyond the concern with the app not being quite ready yet there are unexpected adverse event issues ?.   Let’s hope not.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:30 AM, JTEX said:

With regard to notifications, app status, etc. I just posted in the FFE forum on this 4G upgrade:

My Fordpass app screens are identical (to those posted in the FFE forum) and I get a screen notification within the Fordpass app that is a banner within the app that appears on the bottom.   This morning for example it reads: “ Reached 100% charge” then shows the approximate time it was finished.  To the right in that banner it has a “Details” button.  When I click on Details the next screen usually has a “Fordpass timed out” at the top in red, shows the charge range, and then a bunch of empty rows for other aspects.

I am hoping that when the “Charge Level Notification” button starts working (versus “Loading” circle running for many minutes without success” that it will give us an app push notification & an email (like MFM did) when charge is completed, but at least now know charge level via the app is progress.

Tops on my list of function fixes will be the arrival of charge parameters/timing control via the app (what was called “Value Charge” in MFM).   Once that arrives and given the other progress my needs will be met.

Some concerns:

- ANNOYING -the current Fordpass app (or the backend) is very buggy (so hard to believe it passed thorough sufficient testing).   The best example is when you start the app in the morning on your phone after a charge was likely completed and click on “vehicle” then the screen (nor lower banner) will not show the car is charged.  Then you do the classic “update” pull down move at the top and the app will charge from “updated 7 hours ago” to “updated just now”, but will still not show the battery has been charged.  Then you pull down yet again for another update and it will show the actual fully charged info.   Yes, I do have background app refresh on in iOS for Fordpass and I am on a fast low latency network.   This is purely a buggy app thing or very sluggish backend at Ford.

- VERY WORRIED ABOUT- Systems wise the app/Ford backend/car integration is likely very similar to typical IOT devices wherein the Fordpass app is never talking directly to the car, but rather the app is only talking with backend servers at Ford and those servers’ APIs  in turn talk to the car.   So the 4G modem TCU at steady state when nothing is happening should be just basically listening in a very low power mode and only pulling more power to transmit when either the backend tells it “hey wake up and send us the following data . . .. or do the following (as in unlock the door because the servers have picked up the app asking for such)“ or something happens with the car (as in battery fully charged event) so the car then proactively calls on the TCU to transmit to send data to the Ford servers.  For both cell data traffic management and power consumption this is the way it should work ?   But as shared in another post lately the dialogue between the TCU and the car seems very “chatty” as I can be doing chores in the garage and hear the relay clamp under the hood a few times each hour even though the car is fully charged, plugged in, and I am not asking the vehicle to do anything via the app.   So either the backend is frequently asking the car for info or the car is frequently on its own wanting to send the backend data.  The problem with this is potential major drain impact to the 12v battery.   So one parks your FFE or CMax plug in at the airport for a few days and do you come back to a dead 12volt battery?     Hopefully the “system off to save the battery” logic will have intervened, but???   There was chatter in one of the other forums about some dealers claiming the upgrade program was on hold . . . If that is true (perhaps was just particular dealer talk) it could be because the beyond the concern with the app not being quite ready yet there are unexpected adverse event issues ?.   Let’s hope not.

I'll have to pay closer attention to mine and see if that's the same. I HAVE been fiddling with the app and refreshing it a lot and that also seems to trigger the vehicle to wake up and start pulling power briefly from the EVSE. Here's my power usage graph since Mar 27th:

399444929_Screenshot2022-04-01155951.thumb.png.65d87bcf6539e627a5e04c99fb5722d1.png

I'll try not to mess with the app and see what shows up going forward.

EDIT: Probably a better link since the forum likes resizing these: https://imgur.com/zrHPqXR

Edited by cr08

On 4/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, cr08 said:

I'll have to pay closer attention to mine and see if that's the same. I HAVE been fiddling with the app and refreshing it a lot and that also seems to trigger the vehicle to wake up and start pulling power briefly from the EVSE. Here's my power usage graph since Mar 27th:

399444929_Screenshot2022-04-01155951.thumb.png.65d87bcf6539e627a5e04c99fb5722d1.png

I'll try not to mess with the app and see what shows up going forward.

EDIT: Probably a better link since the forum likes resizing these: https://imgur.com/zrHPqXR

Great graph!

This morning when I went to the car and opened the door coincidentally I found the dreaded “system off to save battery” message which is the second time that has happened since installing the 4G TCU.

I took delivery of my 2020 FFE in late November of 2019 and I suspect it was likely built a few months before so to be fair I am getting reasonably close to the typical 3-4 year lead acid cell end of life.  I decided to replace the 12V battery.

Scary bit of intel: all of the area Ford dealers that particular replacement battery back ordered.  IMHO not a good sign.  But the parts guy told me that AutoZone carries the identical battery in the “Duralast” brand and recommended I check around local stores.   So I ended up with the Duralast Gold version and indeed everything other than the label is identical to the Motorcraft unit including vent port, etc.

It was priced a bit higher than the Motorcraft, but is rated about 100 CCA higher.  Standard 3 year warranty.

Before installing it I put my tester on it and it read 100%

Now I have a fresh start point so if the “system off to save battery”  happens again in the near future after a standard overnight Value Charge than (at least on my FFE) I have a 12V power drain issue post 4G TCU install.

Edited by JTEX