2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 2/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, Laminar said:

Since the official Ford document lists a common upgrade kit for the MKX and C-Max Energi, I'm posting this here in case it helps someone else:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

I can report a successful self-upgrade to 4G.

I found a 4G TCU from a 2018 MKX on eBay for just under $100. Things to look for:

- The FCC ID of "LHJ-FANW" indicates a 4G modem. There are a few other IDs for different model vehicles that are 4G as well.

- The maroon antenna plug is the 4G plug. If there's a second plug there that's tan, that's for the wifi hotspot. All 4G modems will have a maroon plug, a TCU that supports Wifi will have the second plug.

I made some room in the trunk.

img_1405-800x600.jpg

The passenger side cover pops loose, but it take a fairly significant amount of force. I didn't remove it entirely, just enough to pull the top back and get at the modem.

img_1406-450x600.jpg

Before disconnecting the modem, I pulled up Forscan and trended all values available in the TCU:

tcu_old.png

Then I unplugged the factory TCU and plugged in the new TCU. Once booted, the TCU showed several DTC error codes - lost communication with ECU, no antenna, and a couple others. I saved the As Built of the TCU in an as-found configuration.

At this point, and I'm not 100% sure it was necessary, but I disconnected the vehicle battery for a couple of minutes to give everything a good reset.

Once reconnected, I went into the LincolnWay app and deleted the vehicle. I then went in and re-added it. It was able to find the vehicle and sent an activation request. In a few seconds the request popped up on the Sync 3 screen and I authorized. 

The app still didn't show I was authorized even though I got a confirmation email stating everything was good to go, so I logged out and logged back in to the app. Once I did that, everything worked and I was able to lock, unlock, and start via the app.

Here's what the TCU looked like after the upgrade:

tcu_new1.png

I don't have an antenna hooked up, but I was able to easily activate from inside of my closed garage. I think the connector the TCU wants is a TS9 female, so I'm trying to find something that will work.

Other than that, it looks like I'm good to go for another decade or so until they decided to sunset 4G, too. ?

Brilliant, congrats!  I admit I didn't know much about the MKX, but it looks like a Ford Edge branded for LIncoln.  SInce it's a gas or hybrid engine (not sure), all the functions in the FordPass app should work correctly.

A lot of folks doing this upgrade use this LTE antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFLWY77/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, bookemdano said:

Good stuff! I was confused for a minute looking at your picture because I thought you were saying that you used an MKX TCU in a C-Max, but after re-reading I think you're saying that you have an older MKX with a 3G TCU and replaced it with a 4G TCU from a newer MKX. Right?

Yep, that's right. Given the common upgrade part number, I'd be willing to bet that an MKX TCU would work in a C-Max.

Also, a google search brought up this post from December (!) showing a push notification that a Lincoln Way user had received with pretty much the same message we Ford plebs just got last week (but with an actual "Schedule Service" link ? )

From what I understand, Ford offered a 4 year "trial" of 3G connectivity. For those few vehicles that happened to still be within the "trial" period, they gave early notification (including actual mailed letters) and free labor for the 4G upgrade, where the rest of us were on the hook for the full parts + labor cost.

BTW, @Laminar, the type of antenna plug on the 4G TCUs is known as a FAKRA connector.There's a readily obtainable 4G antenna that the F150 guys have been using--I think maybe @bakedpatato linked it earlier in this thread. But as you discovered there's a fallback internal antenna that might be sufficient if you're in an area with decently-strong signal.

FAKRA! That's what I was looking for, thank you!

Finally got my H series TCU in. As noted previously, I'm going to hold off doing the upgrade in my '13 until either I lose functionality (either the MFM app is shut down or AT&T's 3G network shuts down in my area) or more positive information is found about the Value Charging/Go Times features. Still need to get the antenna but that should be a much easier task.

Also not quite willing to dig into the vehicle in this colder weather in an unheated garage. ?

Edited by cr08

On 2/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, auspiciouscoconut said:

I have a 2017 C-Max Energi SE, and received the letter back in October or November. I went to my usual dealer, they had no idea what I was talking about, and said I could just download the 4G upgrade. ? After a few more dead ends, I found a dealer who could order it (they charged me ~$515). In January, I dropped off the car to get it installed, and I got a call the next day that they were having an issue with the install on another C-Max, and they were waiting for a response from Ford before working on mine. That response never came, so I took my car back until they get it figured out. 

$515 is highway robbery.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, Laminar said:

From what I understand, Ford offered a 4 year "trial" of 3G connectivity. For those few vehicles that happened to still be within the "trial" period, they gave early notification (including actual mailed letters) and free labor for the 4G upgrade, where the rest of us were on the hook for the full parts + labor cost

Well, I have a 2020 Fusion Energi and I am still an active MyFord Mobile user.  Ford is screwing us too.  I did not receive the bulletin.  Ford claims my trial was only 1 year despite the fact that I have never entered a trial and my account has been active since 2014.  In addition, the MyFord Mobile application says a five year trial not a one year trial.  So, that would take me to 2025.  At any rate, I will have to pay the full $750 to keep a feature that I already paid for.  This really sucks.  I used to have a 2014 and also a 2017 Fusion Energi.  When AT&T dropped 2G, Ford covered the upgrade.  Whats really funny, if I held onto the 2017 instead of replacing it with the 2020 model, it would have been covered in the program!!!.  I will never buy a Ford again.

Edited by Locutus

I just called my Ford dealership Colorado Springs. To upgrade my 2013 C-Max Energi, I have to pay for the parts and 2 hours of labor. I was quoted approximately $700. I’m stuck with my car for at least 3 more years, so I’m biting the bullet and getting the upgrade. Not happy about it though…

On 2/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, RobynK said:

I just called my Ford dealership Colorado Springs. To upgrade my 2013 C-Max Energi, I have to pay for the parts and 2 hours of labor. I was quoted approximately $700. I’m stuck with my car for at least 3 more years, so I’m biting the bullet and getting the upgrade. Not happy about it though…

You're being ripped off. Ford's own documentation says they are to book 0.8 hours for the whole replacement, including programming. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Locutus said:

Well, I have a 2020 Fusion Energi and I am still an active MyFord Mobile user.  Ford is screwing us too.  I did not receive the bulletin.  Ford claims my trial was only 1 year despite the fact that I have never entered a trial and my account has been active since 2014. 

It's wild that Ford was still using 3G hardware on 2020 model year vehicles when they had switched other models over to 4G two years earlier.

The "trial" is valid for any vehicle VIN entered into your app, and the timer starts on the date the vehicle was first sold. It doesn't require you to sign up for anything or activate anything. Ford is paying AT&T for cellular service on the vehicle, just like if you added a smart watch to your existing cellular plan.

* Complimentary trial detail: VINs linked to the MyFord® Mobile / MyLincoln® Mobile App have a complimentary subscription that activated with vehicle sale date. The subscription requires complementary 3G mobile network connectivity, and it is subject to 3G network availability. Evolving technology/mobile networks may affect future functionality.

If your Fusion was purchased any time before Nov. 3, 2020, you wouldn't be within the warranty period so you wouldn't have received a mailed letter, just the email or app notification like the rest of us.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, Laminar said:

If your Fusion was purchased any time before Nov. 3, 2020, you wouldn't be within the warranty period so you wouldn't have received a mailed letter, just the email or app notification like the rest of us.

You mean the warranty period for the vehicle or the warranty period for MyFord Mobile?  If you are talking about the MyFord Mobile warranty (trial), the application states in multiple places the trial is five years despite what the bulletin says about a one year trial.  I would think Ford would want to honor since the application says five years.  Apparently, they don't care.

Edited by Locutus

I am new here. So happy this forum exists! I just scheduled a visit to have 4G modem installed. Over the phone, the dealer quoted $340 for the modem kit. Two other dealerships i called wanted nothing to do with this recall - didn't provide cost, and said it would take "couple of months" for the next available schedule slot. My visit is in two weeks, will let you know how it goes. Cheers

On 2/11/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mpt said:

I am new here. So happy this forum exists! I just scheduled a visit to have 4G modem installed. Over the phone, the dealer quoted $340 for the modem kit. Two other dealerships i called wanted nothing to do with this recall - didn't provide cost, and said it would take "couple of months" for the next available schedule slot. My visit is in two weeks, will let you know how it goes. Cheers

I had the 4G modem installed over a month ago and it still isn't working with the FordPass app.  I've been told it's a problem on Ford's side many times now and that they are still working on a resolution.  A word of advice, before pickup up your vehicle, ask them to try activating it with the FordPass app.  If all is working well, then ask them to show you the FordPass app and make sure all the features are functioning.  

Good luck to yah!

On 2/11/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mpt said:

I just had it done today.  I tried activating FordPass and nothing happened.   I called Ford's customer service for FordPass and they said it was the dealers responsibility to ensure that it was working before they returned the car to me.   I have a call in to them. 

eta:  My point is, tell them to set it up before you pick it up.

Edited by Arrival

• 2 weeks later...

The FordPass app continues to be unresponsive for me.  The farthest I've gotten was to be able to activate the vehicle and view the features on my smartphone and tablets.  Of course, they are not functioning.  I've been calling FordPass tech support every week or so.  They keep telling me the same thing, they are still working on the problem.  

How are you folks doing with your upgraded modem?  Any progress?

Just stumbled onto this thread...

I did my upgrade back on December 10 on my 2017 Energi. I paid $650 ($750) with taxes and it has not worked since.

This has been a major setback for me as I loved using the MyFordMobile app (which you cannot use with a 4G modem). I was very dependent on this functionality to track charging capacity, alerts (i.e. open windows, unlocked door, etc...).

I am really pissed with Ford. Spoke to the FordPass people 7 times over the course of the 2 months. I did multiple resets, uninstall - install of the app on IOS and Android (both phones and tablets) several times and whatever things they suggested (i.e. drive it several days more than 20 km). Surprised they didn't recommend praying to the patron saint of automobiles. One of the many people I spoke to told me the problem was on Ford's end. I also received a message from one of the engineers saying everything was working....they saw my car but neglected to check if any of the functionality had been restored. Still nothing! No alerts, no status (charge, fuel), remote start, lock/unlock, etc... . However, the messages for new models seems to work fine. ?

About 10 days ago I was so angry about the call I was supposed to get (3-5 business days) after my last call had still not happened after 2 weeks so I called Ford Canada Customer Service.... literally told them the "honeymoon" I was enjoying with Ford for the past 4 years was officially over. I wanted a refund and my old 3G modem back even if it no longer worked. I told them it would make no difference but at least not be out $750.

The rep said she would personally take over this case (I now have a contact, phone #, and a dedicated case #). Made the appointment with the dealership for them to run diagnostics with the assistance of a Ford engineer.

On the bright side, FordPass app, which only reports my position also shows my odometer at -1000km. Yup minus 1000km (Ford sees this as well).

I have my appointment this coming Monday, the 28th of Feb.

I also emailed the rep at Ford Canada telling her that I would not be paying anything for this diagnostic considering I was sold a broken product. The reply was I would have to work that out with the dealership... . Seriously?

Ford is trying very hard to lose a customer.

More to follow

Edited by MDSF

I have a 2016 Cmax Energi and apparently the CSP isn't listed for my car although I'm within the build date.  I chatted with Ford and it was not a good time and they told me to ask the dealer why the CSP isn't listed under my car.  The dealer said they're not sure if they can order the part but I will have to pay labor since the CSP isn't there.  I have an escalation request through Ford to find out what the deal is but I don't think that will go anywhere.

We have a 2014 Fusion Energi.   If we pay for the upgrade - how long will Ford provide the service via FordPass or My FordMobile?

We are well past the 5 years (original owner) -  My Ford Mobile has worked since initial ownership an still working as of 2/22/22.

Have they announced any plans for My Ford Mobile - do they play on turning it off at some point ?

On 2/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, mextreme said:

We have a 2014 Fusion Energi.   If we pay for the upgrade - how long will Ford provide the service via FordPass or My FordMobile?

We are well past the 5 years (original owner) -  My Ford Mobile has worked since initial ownership an still working as of 2/22/22.

Have they announced any plans for My Ford Mobile - do they play on turning it off at some point ?

No clue how long MFM will last. Assuming as long as the 3G network stays up. That's gonna be a gradual process and not an overnight thing so it will depend on your area how soon AT&T will kill that.

The 4G upgrade will forcibly move you to FordPass. So far up to this point on other models Ford has made the basic remote access stuff free for life and feels like they're all in on making FordPass a one stop shop so 'for life' or until something better comes along. But it should remain free.

Looks like as of this morning MyFord Mobile has been completely shutdown. Website is completely inaccessible and the app says that it has been decommissioned and to use FordPass instead. So Ford decided not to wait while AT&T does a gradual shutdown of their 3G network.

Looks like I'll be moving up my timetable getting the modem upgraded in mine then. Value Charge and Go Times be damned. Still need the LTE antenna. Have that on the way.

Edited by cr08

Wow, shocked that they would do that--especially considering what a mess their 4G upgrade program has been.

The cherry on top? Apparently, AT&T recently signed a last-minute roaming deal with T-Mobile to keep 3G devices working through at least July. https://www.lightreading.com/4g3gwifi/atandt-inks-last-minute-3g-roaming-deal-with-t-mobile/d/d-id/775491

Ford needs to reverse course on this. Of course whether they will is another question entirely.

Edited by bookemdano

Reviewing the Focus BEV forums this morning and saw a post where someone included an SSM concerning issues with the upgrade and potential programming issues for 2013 Ford models across the board.

SSM 50258: https://ford.oemdtc.com/7480/myford-mobile-and-mylincoln-mobile-app-functionality-concerns-3g-cellular-network-decommission-2012-2015-ford

Per that document, it lists the following affected vehicles:

C-Max 2013

Focus 2012-2015

Fusion 2012-2013

Fusion Energi/Hybrid 2013

Looks like they're recommending dealers not following through with the upgrade on these models with no resolution listed.

I'll still be giving the DIY upgrade a shot in my '13 and see how it goes. Worst case I can put the 3G modem back in and at least maintain Value Charge/Go Times use.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, cr08 said:

Reviewing the Focus BEV forums this morning and saw a post where someone included an SSM concerning issues with the upgrade and potential programming issues for 2013 Ford models across the board.

SSM 50258: https://ford.oemdtc.com/7480/myford-mobile-and-mylincoln-mobile-app-functionality-concerns-3g-cellular-network-decommission-2012-2015-ford

Per that document, it lists the following affected vehicles:

C-Max 2013

Focus 2012-2015

Fusion 2012-2013

Fusion Energi/Hybrid 2013

Looks like they're recommending dealers not following through with the upgrade on these models with no resolution listed.

I'll still be giving the DIY upgrade a shot in my '13 and see how it goes. Worst case I can put the 3G modem back in and at least maintain Value Charge/Go Times use.

Good find. I guess that explains why Ford didn't include the 2013 in the dealer letter regarding the 4G modem swaps. Eager to hear your experience trying it yourself. Like you said, nothing to lose at this point since you could just swap back in your 3G modem if it doesn't work. 

I'm honestly curious what changed in the electronics between 2013 and 2014, because there is very little outward difference between the two model years. Wonder if it has to do with the electrical architecture (the whole C1MCA vs CGEA thing).

Pissed at Ford for preemptively disabling MFM. They had to know that 3G service was going to disappear gradually. Why not just put an advisory pop-up/banner on the MFM app advising that it may stop working, while still allowing folks to use it in the interim. Especially since their dealers are still so clueless about the modem swaps.

I'm also curious what these supposed programming differences are that would cause these to be unable to be upgraded. Between of the 2013 and 2014 model years there should be no differences. Same electrical architecture with the I-CAN bus. And the C1MCA vs CGEA bit should also be the same. I believe all C-Max model years, being based off the Focus platform, stick to the CGEA1.2/1.3 architecture. Not to mention the newer TCU's specifically have AsBuilt configs for the various architectures including these old ones.

The best wild guess I have is maybe some other key modules in the vehicle have older calibrations that's interfering. It may even be something with the older Sync 2 systems, meaning mine being a Sync 3 upgrade may be unaffected. Totally unsure here and just guessing. Here's hoping Ford at least puts some effort into actually trying to resolve it and we get some better info on that later. Sadly, not getting my hopes up.

So the above linked SSM -MAY- be a red herring. In the same thread on the Focus BEV forums earlier this month, an older SSM was posted:

I just found this:
SSM 50257 - 2014-2020 Various Vehicles - MyFord Mobile and MyLincoln
Mobile App Functionality Concerns - 3G Cellular Network Decommission
Various 2014-2020 vehicles equipped with a 3G modem may experience a lack of 3Gmodem
performance. This may be due to the 3G cellular service functionality being decommissioned starting
August 2021 and through March 2022. As the 3G cellular service is decommissioned, vehicles
equipped with the 3G telematics control unit (TCU) will lose MyFord Mobile and MyLincoln Mobile
app functionality/connectivity. Repair or Replacement of the TCU should no longer be performed
using existing service stock. Replacement of the 3G TCU for this concern will result in programming
concerns and repairs should not be performed. The customer can pay to upgrade their 3G modem
with a 4G modem by following the information in FSA 21B09.Refer to FSA 21B09 for reference and
not for claiming.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2014 - 2020 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION
2014 - 2017 CAR: CG C344N C-MAX
2016 - 2018 CAR: DH C346N FOCUS
2015 - 2017 CAR: C9 CD533N MKZ
2015 - 2017 CAR: C9 CD533N MKZ
2015 - 2017 TRUCK: ME C489N MKC
2017 CAR: PL D544N CONTINENTAL
2016 - 2017 CAR: D9 U540N MKX

So what it seems like, with the identical wording being used but these listed model years, is they're saying the existing 3G TCU's should no longer be used for replacements/repairs. At least that's what I'm gathering.

This morning MyFordMobile stopped working. I have a 2016 Ford C-Max Energi that I bought 3 weeks ago.  I was really enjoying the MFM features including knowing when the car was charging and where the car was located.   As well as car function monitoring.  

Unfortunately I’m not in the period where the CSP applies.  But I do want tot get the upgrade and might be willing to pay for it.  My only concern seems to be the loss of functionality as compared to the MFM app and the concerns I have regarding an expensive part actually working. It seems a lot of upgraders here have had a problems getting features on the ford pass app to work.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?