2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

So I had a 30 minute calibration update on my ACM recently and one thing I found out is it SEEMS like the built in charging module remains active. ForScan was showing around 14.8v while the flashing procedure was active and the only thing I did was have the EVSE plugged in. And I could clearly hear the charging fan running as well. YMMV of course.

Didn't know it would be a whole 5 hour endeavor for the TCU though. Holy crap.

Edited by cr08

On 2/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, Grioux said:

So, I own a 2019 Fusion Energi.  I am located in Eastern Ontario, Canada.

I went to my local Ford dealer who told me that the car was already equipped with a 3G modem and that everything should be fine (that was mid-February).

Zoom forward a couple of weeks.  When I open MyFord Mobile, it says the app. is decommissioned and that it has migrated to FordPass.

When I open FordPass, it says "That's a Ford Electric vehicle!  Access features designed specifically for that car by downloading MyFord Mobile App" ... 

Decommissioning the app seems to me like it's a different thing from whether the car is able to connect to the app.  Is there an updated FordPass app that I should be looking for ?  Anyone have any idea ?

For those who did get the upgrade; are you able to continue using MyFord Mobile ?

Thanks

GR

I am in the USA. Once I got the 4G upgrade, MyFord Mobile stopped working. I had to use FordPass.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:20 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

I am in the USA. Once I got the 4G upgrade, MyFord Mobile stopped working. I had to use FordPass.

How is the FordPass app working for you? (It's been two months since I had the modem upgraded.  The Home screen remains unresponsive to locking and such, and the Vehicle screen does not show the proper metrics).

On 3/2/2022 at 7:59 PM, GeR2 said:

How is the FordPass app working for you? (It's been two months since I had the modem upgraded.  The Home screen remains unresponsive to locking and such, and the Vehicle screen does not show the proper metrics).

Some things in FordPass are working and some are not. FordPass knows the approximate location of the car, although sometimes it thinks the car is at the house next door instead of mine. Remote lock and unlock usually work. Remote start worked the one time I tried it. FordPass will usually notify me when the car is fully charged (I set that alert in FordPass). When it doesn't notify me, I assume the car is having trouble connecting to the 4G network. It is unclear at this time whether the app can update value charge times successfully; I tried again tonight and will test during the next few days. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi with Sync 3. I believe the car has the latest version of the Sync 3 software installed; I updated it a few months ago.

Right now, the car is supposed to be charging (with the Default value charge settings in Sync 3). The home screen was showing a charging banner a few minutes ago, but when I clicked on "Details," FordPass had a problem loading whatever it was supposed to display and decided to stop displaying the banner. So value charge is still a work in progress for me. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:23 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Some things in FordPass are working and some are not. FordPass knows the approximate location of the car, although sometimes it thinks the car is at the house next door instead of mine. Remote lock and unlock usually work. Remote start worked the one time I tried it. FordPass will usually notify me when the car is fully charged (I set that alert in FordPass). When it doesn't notify me, I assume the car is having trouble connecting to the 4G network. It is unclear at this time whether the app can update value charge times successfully; I tried again tonight and will test during the next few days. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi with Sync 3. I believe the car has the latest version of the Sync 3 software installed; I updated it a few months ago.

Right now, the car is supposed to be charging (with the Default value charge settings in Sync 3). The home screen was showing a charging banner a few minutes ago, but when I clicked on "Details," FordPass had a problem loading whatever it was supposed to display and decided to stop displaying the banner. So value charge is still a work in progress for me. 

I also have a 2017 C-Max Energi.  After the modem was upgraded, how much time did it take for your car to start working with the FordPass app?  Did you have to do anything special while at the dealership or on your own?

On 3/3/2022 at 2:25 PM, GeR2 said:

I also have a 2017 C-Max Energi.  After the modem was upgraded, how much time did it take for your car to start working with the FordPass app?  Did you have to do anything special while at the dealership or on your own?

If you're waiting for the activation step, there is another route that can be taken for that. A user over on the F150 forums has created a third party site that still goes through Ford but bypasses their UI and some related issues. A number of people have had better luck getting the activation to come up and go through using this vs the FordPass app:

https://connectedcar-sdk.com/

On 3/3/2022 at 12:07 PM, cr08 said:

If you're waiting for the activation step, there is another route that can be taken for that. A user over on the F150 forums has created a third party site that still goes through Ford but bypasses their UI and some related issues. A number of people have had better luck getting the activation to come up and go through using this vs the FordPass app:

https://connectedcar-sdk.com/

I was able to get past the activation step.  Activating my vehicle with the FordPass app seems to be working reliably for the moment.  It's just the FordPass app features that aren't functioning.  I'm wondering if there's something else I can try to get past this stumbling block.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:47 PM, GeR2 said:

I was able to get past the activation step.  Activating my vehicle with the FordPass app seems to be working reliably for the moment.  It's just the FordPass app features that aren't functioning.  I'm wondering if there's something else I can try to get past this stumbling block.

Ok. You may want to just be patient with it for a day or two then. Sounds like FordPass for everyone across the board is being a bit glitchy right now.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, GeR2 said:

It took five days after the 4G modem installation before I could activate my car on the FordPass app. I had been warned that it might take a few days but I was impatient. In the meantime, I did a master reset on the Sync 3 infotainment system in the car and reloaded the FordPass app on my Android smartphone several times. I have no idea whether these steps helped in the end. I did not do anything special at the dealership before I drove my car home. 

OK, I finally bought myself an OBD USB adapter, installled Forscan on my laptop and ran it on the 2017 C-Max Energi. It reports the TCU configuration shown in the attached screenshot. As previously noted, I had a 4G modem installed by a Ford dealer on January 11, 2022 and it was activated on FordPass on January 16, 2022. I should know in a few days whether the value charge features are now working or not. I hope this information is helpful to someone. 

Forscan_TCU_Configuration.png.00266442311a90cc80f27109a250f9a9.png

On 3/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

OK, I finally bought myself an OBD USB adapter, installled Forscan on my laptop and ran it on the 2017 C-Max Energi. It reports the TCU configuration shown in the attached screenshot. As previously noted, I had a 4G modem installed by a Ford dealer on January 11, 2022 and it was activated on FordPass on January 16, 2022. I should know in a few days whether the value charge features are now working or not. I hope this information is helpful to someone. 

Forscan_TCU_Configuration.png.00266442311a90cc80f27109a250f9a9.png

Awesome. This info matches the info that was posted recently on the CyanLabs Discord from an official upgrade for the Part #, Calibration, and Strategy levels. Thank you for providing this info!

It's possible the UM strategy can be flashed to the older units. It appears these are all simply refurbed older units. It is a 'big' 45MB file though which would line up with what @David_Tucker4 mentioned about an estimated 5 hour process. For reference, my previous ACM calibration update was about 700kB in size and that took about half an hour to complete. Again, not sure if the calibration will change anything for the DIYers. Just a guess at this point. I think we've narrowed down possibilities to either the calibration, the PMI process (that can only be done with IDS and one of the official UM units), or potentially related to the scheduled charging feature missing for Focus BEV owners (until we can confirm 100% that Value Charging functions on official upgrades).

Edited by cr08

I'm approaching this from a different angle and wondering if I've made a mistake.

Had my 2017 C-Max Energi get it's TCU replaced on 2/28/22. It has the old non-touchscreen Sync (Sync with MyFord I think). I waited a few days to try and activate to see MyFordMobile was disconnected. I set up the VIN in FordPass and had it send an activation request to the car. Hopping in with the keys, I turned on the car and didn't see a way to accept the request from the car.

I followed some of the other recommendations of removing the vehicle, logging out, and re-adding the VIN. Downside is now FordPass is generating an error saying "Sorry, there was an error and we were unable to complete your request to change the authorization rights on <Carname>. Please try again later."

Has anyone else successfully connected their C-Max that has Sync with MyFord to FordPass? I bought the modem to turn off the automatic climate control since we aren't commuting anymore.

Finished my DIY upgrade today. Everything went fairly smooth and the basic remote start/lock/unlock functions work. I probably need to go back in and check the antenna as I'm getting a DTC for an open circuit. May not have securely plugged it in. Signal level's still showing about 40-45 inside my garage though. At least I should be able to just pry the panel right behind the rear driver side door and reach in and ensure it's fully plugged in.

1538841616_Screenshot(81).png.ae3adbf75467f8732189bed9f0af86ef.png

All the usual stuff otherwise that's been seen by everyone else. No Value Charge/Go Times. Won't save/toggle in Sync, can't adjust them in FordPass. No statuses like fuel/charge level showing yet. Literally just the remote functions are there at the moment but I'll give it some time. TCU's showing fully authorized and operational.

Edited by cr08

On 3/5/2022 at 7:05 PM, cr08 said:

Finished my DIY upgrade today. Everything went fairly smooth and the basic remote start/lock/unlock functions work. I probably need to go back in and check the antenna as I'm getting a DTC for an open circuit. May not have securely plugged it in. Signal level's still showing about 40-45 inside my garage though. At least I should be able to just pry the panel right behind the rear driver side door and reach in and ensure it's fully plugged in.

1538841616_Screenshot(81).png.ae3adbf75467f8732189bed9f0af86ef.png

All the usual stuff otherwise that's been seen by everyone else. No Value Charge/Go Times. Won't save/toggle in Sync, can't adjust them in FordPass. No statuses like fuel/charge level showing yet. Literally just the remote functions are there at the moment but I'll give it some time. TCU's showing fully authorized and operational.

Awesome! I think you're the first to DIY in a 2013 (at least who has posted about it). Great to have confirmation that it apparently works the same as in any other model year.

I'm pretty sure @David_Tucker4 posted a similar experience on the defunct MFM forum--that the remote functions worked first and then a day or so later he started getting the charge state, location info, etc.

Really hope that the Calibration/Strategy update to the UM version will be the key to getting Value Charging working (or at least on par with what those who got the official upgrade are seeing).

Edit: Also, @bakedpatato posted a bunch of pages back that the third party antenna does cause the DTC to be thrown. I guess the official Ford antennas are wired in such a way that the TCU likes, but not the amazon ones (even though they do work to get the SNR where it should be).

Edit2: After looking at the first post on the f150forum.com thread, it seems the official Ford antenna is grounded to the chassis via a screw. I wonder if lack of ground on the bingfu/amazon antennas is why the TCU is throwing the code. Just a guess, could definitely be something else.

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, bookemdano said:

Awesome! I think you're the first to DIY in a 2013 (at least who has posted about it). Great to have confirmation that it apparently works the same as in any other model year.

I'm pretty sure @David_Tucker4 posted a similar experience on the defunct MFM forum--that the remote functions worked first and then a day or so later he started getting the charge state, location info, etc.

Really hope that the Calibration/Strategy update to the UM version will be the key to getting Value Charging working (or at least on par with what those who got the official upgrade are seeing).

Edit: Also, @bakedpatato posted a bunch of pages back that the third party antenna does cause the DTC to be thrown. I guess the official Ford antennas are wired in such a way that the TCU likes, but not the amazon ones (even though they do work to get the SNR where it should be).

Edit2: After looking at the first post on the f150forum.com thread, it seems the official Ford antenna is grounded to the chassis via a screw. I wonder if lack of ground on the bingfu/amazon antennas is why the TCU is throwing the code. Just a guess, could definitely be something else.

Concerning the calibration update, @bakedpatato has went through with this per some ongoing discussions in the CyanLabs Discord. About a 3 hour process to update the calibration to the TCU. This has confirmed the new UM calibration works on these older units not officially designated for this upgrade. However at first blush it looks like nothing has changed on the VC/Go Times front. I'm sure if anything changes, he'll let us know.

Thanks for the info on the antenna though. Not gonna lie, I've probably forgotten a lot of key info in this thread after trying to keep tabs on many different sites for information regarding all this upgrade mess. lol. As long as the antenna works though and the open circuit code is harmless, I'll probably live with it for the time being. Gives me more of an excuse later to try the sharkfin antenna upgrade. I did get some video footage of my install (which I'm going to try and edit and post here in the next few days) and looks like the antenna was securely plugged in so it's probably just the TCU being picky about the ground or something else. I know with the Sync 3 upgrades, the APIM can also be a bit picky about aftermarket GPS antennas with similar DTC's produced.

Edited by cr08

Value charge now appears to be working! I have a 2017 C-Max Energi with Sync 3 and a dealer-installed 4G modem. I was able to load value charge times for my home location using the FordPass app on Android as shown in one of the screenshots. I plugged the car in at about 7:30 PM tonight and it did not start charging until 9 PM as it was supposed to according to the value charge times that I loaded. 

There are two items of note: 

1. Loading the value charge times through the FordPass app appears to have deleted the Default value charge times that I had installed previously. I have not tried to reinstall them yet--that will be the next thing to try.

2. The value charge times that have been loaded through the FordPass app *cannot* be edited using the Sync 3 console in the car. I think they can only be edited or deleted through the FordPass app.

I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Screenshot_20220306-211403_FordPass.thumb.jpg.17ed28979e20472193ffc73dbdecbd69.jpgScreenshot_20220306-211432_FordPass.thumb.jpg.9f8c0968aa471d70892bc23d9c20127e.jpgScreenshot_20220306-211541_FordPass.thumb.jpg.bc8bce04eebc54348e34fb11cbe6aded.jpg

Awesome to hear! We also got confirmation thanks to @bakedpatato that this was also resolved on his DIY install with the updated UM calibration. Just took an extra 24h for FordPass to update.

So ultimately it looks like the DIY solution is finally viable. I'll probably try doing the calibration update on mine this next weekend as well and be able to confirm that.

Also tagging @David_Tucker4 since he is the other DIYer here and mentioned potentially doing the calibration update.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, cr08 said:

Awesome to hear! We also got confirmation thanks to @bakedpatato that this was also resolved on his DIY install with the updated UM calibration. Just took an extra 24h for FordPass to update.

So ultimately it looks like the DIY solution is finally viable. I'll probably try doing the calibration update on mine this next weekend as well and be able to confirm that.

Also tagging @David_Tucker4 since he is the other DIYer here and mentioned potentially doing the calibration update.

Thanks @cr08, and congrats to @oldbeyondmeasure and @bakedpatato for cracking the case!  We finally had some decent weather this morning, so I started my TCU calibration update at 08:45, and it finished at 10:45.  My calibration level is now at -UJ, however, FORSCAN says that is the highest available.  If anyone has the UM files & can post them here, I would give it a go at uploading.  Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Super!

Just got my Forscan trial license (note that due to the war sanctions, you can't purchase a Forscan license right now, not that you need to for the purposes of this install. The trial period is 2 months which should be more than enough time to do the DIY).

First thing I will need to try to downgrade the firmware of my K TCU and hope that will enable I-CAN communications. Fingers crossed!

On 3/7/2022 at 11:36 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

Thanks @cr08, and congrats to @oldbeyondmeasure and @bakedpatato for cracking the case!  We finally had some decent weather this morning, so I started my TCU calibration update at 08:45, and it finished at 10:45.  My calibration level is now at -UJ, however, FORSCAN says that is the highest available.  If anyone has the UM files & can post them here, I would give it a go at uploading.  Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Strategy HJ5T-14G139-UM should be available on through Ford's site: DSFM File Download (dealerconnection.com)

SBL and Calibration should also be available that way as well.

Also, what OBD adapter did you use for that update? 2 hours is pretty good. I think @bakedpatato mentioned using a VCX Nano and took about 3h.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

Capture.PNG

Someone double check me on this, but I believe you can download it here:

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/PCMReprogram/DSFM_PCMReprogram.asp?swproduct=IDS

Simply type HJ5T-14G139-UM into the box and click "Download File". It should immediately start the download (compressed in a .zip). I just tried it and it worked for me.

Edit: Beaten to the punch! I guess I ended up confirming cr08's instructions ?

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, bookemdano said:

Someone double check me on this, but I believe you can download it here:

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/PCMReprogram/DSFM_PCMReprogram.asp?swproduct=IDS

Simply type HJ5T-14G139-UM into the box and click "Download File". It should immediately start the download (compressed in a .zip). I just tried it and it worked for me.

Edit: Beaten to the punch! I guess I ended up confirming cr08's instructions ?

Thanks to you both.  I tried that link about an hour ago, but no joy.  Then it worked, of course.  I'll go out and try to do a custom load in FORSCAN.  Will circle back with results.  Thanks again! 

BTW, I use the OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter.  Link here: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=sr_1_5?crid=BMLVW1DQ29KY&keywords=obd+ex&qid=1646672131&sprefix=obd+ex%2Caps%2C457&sr=8-5

Edited by David_Tucker4

On 3/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

Cool. That's the exact one I have so hopefully that bodes well for a shorter process. Originally a 5h time was mentioned, then bakedpatato mentioned 3h with the VCX Nano.

So far without this update, all the other stats are slowly filling in to the app like expected. I'm now seeing the placeholders for odometer, location, EV charge, and fuel level though they're all blank.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, cr08 said:

Cool. That's the exact one I have so hopefully that bodes well for a shorter process. Originally a 5h time was mentioned, then bakedpatato mentioned 3h with the VCX Nano.

So far without this update, all the other stats are slowly filling in to the app like expected. I'm now seeing the placeholders for odometer, location, EV charge, and fuel level though they're all blank.

I remember when I did the original conversion, it took almost 48 hours for the stats you mentioned above to fully populate.  Go Times, charge notifications, and charge logs are the last bits I need to call this project done.  The -UM calibration file is loading in FORSCAN right now.  I'll check back in after a couple hours with a report.

Edited by David_Tucker4

On 3/7/2022 at 12:26 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

I remember when I did the original conversion, it took almost 48 hours for the stats you mentioned above to fully populate.  Go Times, charge notifications, and charge logs are the last bits I need to call this project done.  The -UM calibration file is loading in FORSCAN right now.  I'll check back in after a couple hours with a report.

Alright folks, I'm happy to confirm upgrading my TCU strategy to version -UM did the trick.  I now have the charging funtions available in SYNC 3 again! I was able to reload a default Value Charge profile, and I also used the Ford Pass app to set Go Times (the app calls them 'Departure Times') which now show up in SYNC 3 as well.  The only bit still not working correctly is being able to set a Charge Level Notification within Ford Pass.  It just spins the loading function, but ultimately can't save it.  So I'm going to give that some time to hopefully sort itself out.  But I'm so pleased to have Departure Times and Value Charging back!

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg