Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

Trifecta!  I love it.  We dropped our SEL off this afternoon to have the same 3 updates done (in Durham NC) tomorrow. 

Interestingly, after very few glitches over 8 months and 11,000+ miles, our nav system stopped speaking to us a few days ago.

When I went to pick up our car this afternoon I thought I would be coming home with only the daily double but I wound up coming home with the trifecta.  (I failed to mention in my earlier message that I grew up in Elmont NY home of Belmont Park and the Belmont Stakes, the third leg of horse racing's triple crown.)

At 5pm my service advisor called to say that they had done the liftgate update and the PCM update but they could not do the MFT/nav update because they were out of new nav cards.  I went to pick up the car and left expecting to return on Monday when they had more nav card.  Less than a block away I noticed "insert new SD card" on the big screen.  I looked in the console and the card slot was empty.  I went back to the shop and asked for my old nav card so we would have nav over the weekend.  After a few minutes my service advisor came back out with the technicain.  The tech asked for my key fob.  He got in the car and after pushing a few buttons inserted a SD card.  Then they said I was all set with the MFT/nav update.  I thought they had not done anything on this since they did not have the new nav card.  Turned out the software update had been done in anticipation of having a new nav card this afternoon.  Once the software had been updated the old nav card would no longer work.  What the tech did was put his bench nav card (that he uses for testing and troubleshooting) in my car.

I tested the new MFT and nav on my way home.  All seems in order including the new powersplit screen.

After dinner I went for a brief highway drive to test the PCM update.  I got a full charge on the battery going up a hill on I-40.  I got off and headed back the other way.  I set eco cruise at about 75mph and then started backing off about 2mph at a time.  I saw the switch to ev at about 65mph and then was able to stay in ev for about 4 clicks up to 69-70mph.  I need to read this thread and the other PCM update related threads some more to see what others have experienced and then go for a longer highway drive.

When I got home I tried the liftgate.  On the first try it opened with just one kick.

Picked up my new car today... they said they were doing the 13B07 and 13C02 before I got there for the car, but on the way home, noticed the EV would not kick in above 62 mph.  My SA assumed it was upgraded, as we talked specifically about this feature with the upgrade.... now it's 1.5 hours back to the dealer (I live in the mountains away from the city).  I am still very happy with the car, just getting it up to spec has been a hassle.

Does anyone know if the ETIS site is updated immediately when the upgrades are completed?  The site still shows the 2 upgrades are still required, and it's been 12 hours since the work was supposedly completed... thanks.

this is the KEY post with info to make sure your dealer did the FE update correctly or not (scroll down 20 posts on this page to one written by keybman where it shows this text in bold (Something to share with your service dept's tech so that your PCM update works on the 1st try)  :

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7238-ford-fuel-efficiency-update-guinea-pig-testers/page-5?do=findComment&comment=61696

many have had to redo the update which is a major hassle of those dealer is far away from your home/work

Edited by salsaguy

salsag....be sometime. bill parks and I will talk mid week to schedule the change but right now, galpin is doing ZERO update while Ford is doing some sort of updating. Not sure what but hes been told NO updates till after Tuesday.

So far these updates look encouraging but I think the eco-cruise ice high mpg is gone. i use to do the manual one way before the eco and I thought it was dangerous especially at the 65mph speed (see my thoughts in one of my early threads)....yes...jus :dogwalk:

Right now, I am jus working on another 800 tank, should hit it tomorrow... (not :airquote: seriously hard like last one as this one will barely make past the 800 let alone smash my ole record)...but to me, thats still quite an achievement to get these BIG tanks just driving to/from work and the golf course :skateboard:

*sigh* if my wifey didnt drive it, i would have gotten a wee close though :doh:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Just got the updates installed. Haven't driven far yet, only 2 short trips totaling 25 miles.  There was some freeway driving but speeds were below 65 MPH for the most part so I didn't get to test EV above 63.  

Mileage was impressive though.  First leg I got 48 MPG.  Second leg 62.8 MPG - best I've ever had.  Wasn't really trying to get good mileage.  Little early to claim victory but it does appear that some the changes made has increased average MPG. 

I can't say I noticed any big differences in behavior.  I was going in and out of EV mode regularly - maybe more frequently than before. Not sure ... will need to drive some more today.

High ice using eco cruise is still possible after the update.
post-105-0-67806100-1375528932_thumb.jpg

So far these updates look encouraging but I think the eco-cruise ice high mpg is gone. i use to do the manual one way before the eco and I thought it was dangerous especially at the 65mph speed (see my thoughts in one of my early threads)....yes...jus  :dogwalk:

Edited by RaPieR

Well...well...well...seems like Galpin Ford here in San Fernando, Los Angeles has not even been hooked up with the new update. Its not on my etisford either....I guess Ford Motor is using the rest of the states as a trial run before before hitting the Prii City :stirpot:

Just picked up my new 2013 C-MAX yesterday, (Aug. 2) in Melbourne, FL and Kelly Ford said that they did`nt have have the new update yet to install?  I`ll check another Dealer closer to Palm Beach in a few weeks since the selling Dealership was 2 hours away.  Rather then doing a Dealer Swap to get the Vehicle I was looking for, figured I might as well put on the first 125 miles then have someone else do it for me.  I knew they were`nt going to Tow it on a Flatbed for an X-Plan Sale.

I got the two updates (13B07 and 13C02) installed this past Thursday.  Unfortunately, we were experiencing torrential rains that day in my area, so I was not able to test the 13B07 upgrade at highway speeds.

I was able to conduct a couple of short (6 mi) tests at highway speeds last evening.  I was able to get into EV mode at 70 mph.  As others have noted, the C-Max is just as sensitive to acceleration as it ever was.  However, once I got up to 70 mph, if I hit a flat section or one with a downhill pitch, all I had to do was let up on the gas pedal a little and it went right into EV mode and stayed there until I had to accelerate again.  So, basically we can now do our favorite "pulse and glide" routine at highway speeds! :happy feet:

Over the long term, I bet this adds at least two-to-three mpg to my lifetime gas mileage.  Perhaps it will add even more, since I won't be able to see how the changes to the grille shutter behavior affect the mileage until the cold weather hits in late autumn.

Well...well...well...seems like Galpin Ford here in San Fernando, Los Angeles has not even been hooked up with the new update. Its not on my etisford either....I guess Ford Motor is using the rest of the states as a trial run before before hitting the Prii City :stirpot:

Probably not CARB compliant.

High ice using eco cruise is still possible after the update.

attachicon.gif20130802_160914.jpg

Rapier - yeah, I can see the ICE High MPG but thats done manually which I did try early on in my hypermile driving here (look at one of my ole threads ICE High mpg vs eco cruise vs P&G) and I found it to be very distrating to keep it at that bar, to me it was dangerous then jus because O had to watch the gauge so closely and its diferent doing this at 35 mph vs 65 mph or 68 mph...woah. However, I try it next tank and see if my impression is the same. The eco-cruise ICE High MPG was so nice, akin to your eco-cruise at the surface street....now who said I don't use eco cruise... ;)

Probably not CARB compliant.

Is this is a different CARB to the one in my acronym thread? Do fill us in.... :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Rapier - yeah, I can see the ICE High MPG but thats done manually which I did try early on in my hypermile driving here (look at one of my ole threads ICE High mpg vs eco cruise vs P&G) and I found it to be very distrating to keep it at that bar, to me it was dangerous then jus because O had to watch the gauge so closely and its diferent doing this at 35 mph vs 65 mph or 68 mph...woah. However, I try it next tank and see if my impression is the same. The eco-cruise ICE High MPG was so nice, akin to your eco-cruise at the surface street....now who said I don't use eco cruise... ;)

Is this is a different CARB to the one in my acronym thread? Do fill us in.... :)

Hehe, look at that picture again Jus.  The "ECO" icon is enabled on the left side of the dashboard.  I was running at that level for almost an hour, I can't stand doing manual feather for 20 minutes in the city there is no way I'd do that for hours on a 4 hour drive.

Hehe, look at that picture again Jus.  The "ECO" icon is enabled on the left side of the dashboard.  I was running at that level for almost an hour, I can't stand doing manual feather for 20 minutes in the city there is no way I'd do that for hours on a 4 hour drive.

What kind of MPG do you think you were getting during that drive?

I saw u had it set but feathered the pedal to kick in the ICE to sit. Do us a favor and update TheGens thread with this "how to". Thxs  :)

WAIT A SECOND, are you telling me the Fusion's cruise control displays the set speed? 

The image from the first post: 

IMG_20130729_092544.jpg

I found an interesting simulation of a CVT hybrid transmission (albeit from the Prius, but the same principles apply). 

From that, you can extrapolate a) why all-electric drive is ever limited for any reason other than power demand exceeding available power, and b) what exactly this update entails.

The manual describes it as "to protect the transmission hardware", and from this simulation it's clear that means the speed of the "generator" motor (the small motor connected to the Sun of the planetary gearset) would exceed a preset limit. So this update means one of a) Ford was overly conservative in determining that limit previously, b) The non-Energi was 'decontented' for marketing purposes on a feature where there was no actual reason to do so, or c) Ford is pushing the generator motor beyond what it was designed for be, to overcome fuel economy complaints… or some combination of all three. 

I found an interesting simulation of a CVT hybrid transmission (albeit from the Prius, but the same principles apply).

From that, you can extrapolate a) why all-electric drive is ever limited for any reason other than power demand exceeding available power, and b) what exactly this update entails.

The manual describes it as "to protect the transmission hardware", and from this simulation it's clear that means the speed of the "generator" motor (the small motor connected to the Sun of the planetary gearset) would exceed a preset limit. So this update means one of a) Ford was overly conservative in determining that limit previously, b) The non-Energi was 'decontented' for marketing purposes on a feature where there was no actual reason to do so, or c) Ford is pushing the generator motor beyond what it was designed for be, to overcome fuel economy complaints… or some combination of all three.

This is why I'm apprehensive about the upgrade. None of those 3 scenarios are favorable. Perhaps Ford is letting it exceed the limit with the update but the computer will limit how long we can drive at 62+ MPH in EV mode to protect the MG1, at least I sure hope so!!