$550 goodwill payment, relabeling of mpg, and changes coming for 2014

nemonik

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2013/08/15/c-max-fuel-economy.html

FORD UPGRADES 2014 C-MAX HYBRID FOR BETTER FUEL ECONOMY, CHANGES 2013 LABEL TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

• 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid on sale later this year is upgraded with new transmission gearing and enhanced aerodynamics to further improve fuel efficiency performance
  • Ford voluntarily changing its approach to C-MAX Hybrid fuel economy labeling going forward to better match performance and improve customer satisfaction
  • Label changes will result in a lower 2013 C-MAX Hybrid miles-per-gallon label – though still class-leading and a better combined label than the Toyota Prius v; current C-MAX Hybrid owners will receive a goodwill payment for the difference
  • Customer demand for C-MAX Hybrid remains very strong, with two-thirds of buyers from imports; C-MAX Hybrid helps drive Ford to best quarterly hybrid U.S. sales ever

Underscoring its commitment to fuel economy leadership, Ford Motor Company today said it is upgrading the 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid, which will go on sale in December. The company also is changing the way it tests and labels the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid for fuel economy to better match performance and improve customer satisfaction.

The upgrades build on powertrain software updates Ford announced last month for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. The 2014 C-MAX also will benefit from several hardware changes, including:

• Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio
  • New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics
  • New engine oil with reduced friction

The enhancements to the 2014 C-MAX Hybrid are expected to improve customers’ on-road fuel economy, especially at highway speeds.

“Ford is absolutely committed to being a leader in the hybrid market and to top fuel efficiency across our lineup,” said Raj Nair, group vice president, global product development. “We are taking actions with our popular C-MAX Hybrid so that customers are even more satisfied with the vehicle’s on-road fuel efficiency performance.”

The variability of on-road fuel economy is greater for hybrids than for conventional vehicles. Relatively small differences in driver behavior and driving conditions can have a significant effect on the degree to which a hybrid’s gasoline engine is used for propulsion, which affects fuel efficiency.

Changes to C-MAX Hybrid fuel economy labeling process
In addition to improving the vehicle itself, Ford is changing the way it generates the miles-per-gallon label for C-MAX Hybrid going forward. Previously – and consistent with EPA’s General Label rules – testing of the Fusion Hybrid was used to generate fuel economy labels for a family of vehicles, including both Fusion Hybrid and C-MAX Hybrid. The result was the same fuel economy label values for both vehicles.

While the company could continue to use EPA’s General Label for C-MAX Hybrid, Ford voluntarily has decided to test and label C-MAX Hybrid separately going forward. The result will be a lower miles-per-gallon label for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. Testing to generate a label for the 2014 C-MAX Hybrid is not yet complete.

The revised 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid label will carry a class-leading EPA combined fuel economy value of 43 mpg – topping the combined label value of 42 mpg for the Toyota Prius v.

Because this voluntary step results in miles-per-gallon values different from the original C-MAX Hybrid label, Ford also is making a goodwill payment to current C-MAX Hybrid owners for the estimated average fuel cost of the difference between the two labels. Customers who purchased their vehicle will receive a check from Ford for $550. Customers who leased their vehicle will receive a check for $325.

Existing customers will be notified by mail, and Ford is working with dealers to re-label vehicles on dealer lots. Customers with questions can contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center athttp://corporate.ford.com/owner-services/customer-support/contact-ford, or +1-800-392-3673.

Strong C-MAX customer reaction
Customer response to Ford C-MAX is strong. In fact, C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid are driving record U.S. electrified vehicle sales. Ford sold 53,014 electrified vehicles through July – 392 percent higher than a year ago. Two-thirds of buyers are coming from imports.

In addition, the latest J.D. Power APEAL study shows C-MAX Hybrid is scoring high with customers. Engine responsiveness, smoothness, passing power/acceleration, interior quietness and visibility all rank significantly higher than the segment average. Customers also report C-MAX is “more luxurious” and “more innovative,” as well as more environmentally friendly.

Ford’s electrified vehicle market share through the first seven months of this year is 15.4 percent -- a 12-point increase compared with the same period last year.

Edited by nemonik

It's odd, but I feel kind of sad about this.  Nice to get $550, but Ford will take a bashing for this.  I guess I am not surprised after the Kia situation which was similar.

I agree Laurel. It makes me sad too. The first bad reviews could have been avoided if the release had been in the spring......look at what folks are getting now. I'm gonna post another 600+ tank tonite. It coulda been different

Which, if any, of the changes being made for the 2014 vehicles could be applied to our 2013's?

For example:

• New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics
  • New engine oil with reduced friction

the engine oil is simple just a lower friction oil, the rear spoiler is probably something you can buy and add on, the wheel wells a bit more tricky.The front hood dam is probably a gasket between the hood and the grill.

I think the biggest changes is 13B07 which we got already.

I would have been happy to get smaller check and some of the changes offered to me. I am guessing that these are aero mods that we now need to thank P Jones for being so adamant about his grill covers that he shamed the ford engineers.

I wonder what the pricing of the 2014 will be cause its a fact that Ford was really cutting prices to get these new Hybrids on the road. We all almost forgot about that EPA re-test that nobody is talking about????

Edited by catsailor

The other thread had the number sold through July at just over 23,000.  Add a few more for August - maybe 25,000 or so - about $14 million.  You can also compare to the price of the car - about 2%.  I'm sure the whole publicity / customer satisfaction thing is a lot more important to Ford than $14 million.  There might also be a plus side for Ford - lots of articles in the press just send out the word about the C-Max.  I just talked to a co-worker who had never heard of it.  I'm sure most car buyers haven't heard of this controversy either.  We early adopters just lucked out this time! :)

Does anyone know how many hybrids Ford sold for 2013? Just wanting to do a little calculation....$550 X ? =....

I found C-Max sales data for Sept - Dec 2012 and Jan - July 2013 at

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10/ford-cmax-sales-figures.html

In the US, 2012 sales were 13,309 and so far in 2013 sales have been 23,040 which totals 36,349.

At $550 per vehicle that's $19,991950.

Not sure if this applies to our friends north of the border.  Sales in Canada were 155 in 2012 on 870 to-date in 2013 which totals 1,025.

At US$550 per vehicle that would be another  US$563,750.

I wonder how the $550 will play out for 2013 cars in the process of being purchased and for deals made to buy new 2013's after today's announcement.

In the US, 2012 sales were 13,309 and so far in 2013 sales have been 23,040 which totals 36,349.

Not sure if this applies to our friends north of the border.  Sales in Canada were 155 in 2012 on 870 to-date in 2013 which totals 1,025.

I wonder how the $550 will play out for 2013 cars in the process of being purchased and for deals made to buy new 2013's after today's announcement.

The sales figures I found are combined hybrid plus energi - so if the $550 is hybrid only then the $19 million total is too high.

the engine oil is simple just a lower friction oil, the rear spoiler is probably something you can buy and add on, the wheel wells a bit more tricky.The front hood dam is probably a gasket between the hood and the grill.

I think the biggest changes is 13B07 which we got already.

I would have been happy to get smaller check and some of the changes offered to me. I am guessing that these are aero mods that we now need to thank P Jones for being so adamant about his grill covers that he shamed the ford engineers.

I wonder what the pricing of the 2014 will be cause its a fact that Ford was really cutting prices to get these new Hybrids on the road. We all almost forgot about that EPA re-test that nobody is talking about????

I didn't know what tire deflectors were.  I searched on "tire deflectors" and found a set of photos at

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tire-deflectors-spats-17548.html

The first photos are of a Ford Focus.

Seeing what these are I think they could likely be retrofit onto a 2013.

Since mine is going to be delivered any day now. I also wonder about this. I will ask about this when the car comes in.

Monitors need to combine the two threads into one, perhaps change the title to include the compensation, lock this one as there are likely going to be many more starting a new thread on this subject (why can't people search first and scan the most recent new threads rather than start a new one) ;) . 

I could not agree more.  (Emphasis mine).

still cheaper than a class action lawsuit.

EPA statement ...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/documents/fueleconomy/420f13044.pdf

The crazy thing is I'm getting good mileage now - 48 drive to work 53 on the ride home just yesterday.

What they don't mention in any of these articles is the impact of temperature.  That is the main reason the C-Max fuel economy varies so significantly.

EPA statement ...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/documents/fueleconomy/420f13044.pdf

The crazy thing is I'm getting good mileage now - 48 drive to work 53 on the ride home just yesterday.

What they don't mention in any of these articles is the impact of temperature.  That is the main reason the C-Max fuel economy varies so significantly.

You beat me to it.  Interesting read, the C-Max mileage was just derived from the Fusion due to a general rule that is allowed by the EPA.  Also interesting is that the C-Max was only rated 41 combined before the PCM update.

The new 45/40/43 rating seems a lot more realistic for everyday driving but like you I'm seeing different numbers.  I'm seeing closer to 50 city and 43 highway of course it'll probably drop again when winter hits.  My fuelly mileage is being dragged down by my winter numbers from last year.

We get our worst mileage in town and our best on the highway.  It takes a lot to warm up the car and we can do 2 or 3 legs of in town driving and the mileage is horrifying i.e. 14 L, 9. 8 L etc.  When the engine gets warm it will drop into the 4.2 -4.8 L range, but often we only do the short trip and never make it to the warm up phase.  Our highway mileage is consistently 5.3 L.  Probably the Energi would have been better for us as by the time we warm up the car we are home and it is parked in the garage for another day. LOL.  So the sales people need to be really clear on the parameters of driving the car as I can see mega problems with customers like us who do very little driving feeling the car is misrepresented.  We don't feel upset by this, but I think many would. And they need to address using air conditioning and cold outside temperatures, both of which affect mileage drastically, to potential buyers.

Edited by Laurel