Battery dead

Add me to the list .  My car was dead as a door nail this morning.  Just left for the dealer on a flatbed.

Was your C-Max updated with 13B12, which is suppose to eliminate this problem, before the battery died ?  If it were updated, that would not be good.

Thanks.

Edited by obob

Ashley

Thank you (and Ford) for making yourself accessible to the owners who have been snagged by the 12 Volt system bug and other problems. My personal experience has been that Ford has become much more responsive on the 12 Volt problems since the spring of 2013. I really appreciate that.

Do you have a way to find out whether any changes have been made in the 2014 C-Max SE and SEL to try to prevent the 12 Volt problems that have hit the 2013 models? Have the issues covered by TSBs for the 2013 models been addressed for the new 2014 models?

The TSB issues for the 2013 include at least the following items: proper shutdown of the information/entertainment screen computer system, proper grounding of the Body Control Module, the charging routine for the 12 volt battery, and electrical connectors on the main wiring harness that were susceptible to water intrusion.

Has anything else been changed on the 2014 to address the 12 Volt battery problems?

Thank you

Ashley

Thank you (and Ford) for making yourself accessible to the owners who have been snagged by the 12 Volt system bug and other problems. My personal experience has been that Ford has become much more responsive on the 12 Volt problems since the spring of 2013. I really appreciate that.

Do you have a way to find out whether any changes have been made in the 2014 C-Max SE and SEL to try to prevent the 12 Volt problems that have hit the 2013 models? Have the issues covered by TSBs for the 2013 models been addressed for the new 2014 models?

The TSB issues for the 2013 include at least the following items: proper shutdown of the information/entertainment screen computer system, proper grounding of the Body Control Module, the charging routine for the 12 volt battery, and electrical connectors on the main wiring harness that were susceptible to water intrusion.

Has anything else been changed on the 2014 to address the 12 Volt battery problems?

Thank you

Salman,

I responded to your PM before I saw this post.

The tl;dr version is: you should see all the same TSB improvements in the 2014s. We're looking to keep moving forward, so both 2013s and 2014s will keep being looked at and improved upon. :)

Ashley

Hi everyone,

If you're having trouble with your battery, let me know when you've got your car to your dealer and I'll assist if you need me to. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of the dealer you're at, and I'll see what I can do.

Ashley

This is BIG, we have a Ford rep now on our hottest issue thread. Kudos to Ford & Ashley for taking on on a very preplexing and challenging issue to all CMax owners. Not jus those effected by the issue. 

Go Ashley & Ford Engineering  ;)

Hi everyone,

If you're having trouble with your battery, let me know when you've got your car to your dealer and I'll assist if you need me to. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of the dealer you're at, and I'll see what I can do.

Ashley

.Ashley,

Thank you for you offer of assistance.  On this form, the members reflect a wide range of expertise and some of us a very narrow range.  To that end, what is or how does one PM someone else?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, on the Homepage left-hand column, click on Members and then choose the individual you wish to contact by clicking on their name.  On the top right of that page you'll see the Send me a Message tab.  When you've received a message, the Messenger icon near your name on the Homepage will be red.  Think you need to post a minimum number of messages before you can PM someone, though.

.Ashley,

Thank you for you offer of assistance.  On this form, the members reflect a wide range of expertise and some of us a very narrow range.  To that end, what is or how does one PM someone else?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, on the Homepage left-hand column, click on Members and then choose the individual you wish to contact by clicking on their name.  On the top right of that page you'll see the Send me a Message tab.  When you've received a message, the Messenger icon near your name on the Homepage will be red.  Think you need to post a minimum number of messages before you can PM someone, though.

Tom,

It looks like JAZ got you on the right path. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ashley

Thanks Jaz  :rockon: 

.Ashley,

Thanks,

Tom

Another alternative way to send a message is to hover the mouse pointer over the user name on the post. If you look at each post, the username is on the top, left hand side. Hover the mouse over the username, and a pop-up will appear and click the "Send Message" and then type away in the opened pop-up. Hope this helps.

Our 2013 C-Max SE was dead again this morning. Last year, it happened at least 3 times. The dealer finally replaced the battery and it worked fine for about six months until this morning. From what I see in the forum, Ford has not solved the problem. No wonder C-Max sales are declining. It's a shame, because it's a great car, but it's too unreliable.

Our 2013 C-Max SE was dead again this morning. Last year, it happened at least 3 times. The dealer finally replaced the battery and it worked fine for about six months until this morning. From what I see in the forum, Ford has not solved the problem. No wonder C-Max sales are declining. It's a shame, because it's a great car, but it's too unreliable.

Was your C-Max updated with 13B12, which is suppose to eliminate this problem, before the battery died ?  If it were updated, that would not be good.

Thanks.

So Ford rejected my request for buyback under Wisconsin's lemon law. Not sure exactly why since the car was in to be fixed for this battery issue 5 times this year and off the road for 30 days. They don't provide a reason. I guess the next step is the BBB process. I love my cmax!

I know nothing about Wisconsin law, but I would think your next step would some sort of Dept of Consumer Protection or state Attorney General.

Just my 2 cents.

"Posted Today, 10:56 AM

So Ford rejected my request for buyback under Wisconsin's lemon law. Not sure exactly why since the car was in to be fixed for this battery issue 5 times this year and off the road for 30 days. They don't provide a reason. I guess the next step is the BBB process. I love my cmax!"

Lonescurt

It may be too late but you could send a PM to member “FordService” (Ashley)

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/user/1579-fordservice/

or  like Bill-N suggests

Johnnohio used his attorney general.

PM @ http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/user/509-johnnohio/

At this point the BBB probably can’t offer much help.

Good Luck

So Ford rejected my request for buyback under Wisconsin's lemon law. Not sure exactly why since the car was in to be fixed for this battery issue 5 times this year and off the road for 30 days. They don't provide a reason. I guess the next step is the BBB process. I love my cmax!

If you have not done so already, the first steps should be 1) review the Wisconsin lemon law, 2) review the request you submitted to Ford to make sure it met all the criteria of the lemon law, 3) ask Ford why they rejected your request.

Then, if the request you made was incomplete, submit a new request. Or, if your first request was made correctly and Ford refuses to reconsider, then you should contact attorney.

If you have not done so already, the first steps should be 1) review the Wisconsin lemon law, 2) review the request you submitted to Ford to make sure it met all the criteria of the lemon law, 3) ask Ford why they rejected your request.

Then, if the request you made was incomplete, submit a new request. Or, if your first request was made correctly and Ford refuses to reconsider, then you should contact attorney.

Thanks salman. As far as I can tell it would qualify under Wisconsin Lemon law rules. They require 4 failed attempts or 30 days off the road. I would qualify under both. I am required by Wisconsin Law to go through the BBB since Ford has agreed to use them for arbitration. I guess if it gets rejected then I would at least find out why. Ford is refusing to tell me why they rejected it.

I have posted in two related threads concerning my attempts to obtain from Ford a definite answer regarding 13B12 vs 13-07-10. Are they the same or not and if not, how do they differ?

My Service Manager says that they are (but is ready to install 13B12). Another poster's Service Manager says they are different.

Perhaps Ashley could obtain an answer.

Edited by pad

I have posted in two related threads concerning my attempts to obtain from Ford a definite answer regarding 13B12 vs 13-07-10. Are they the same or not and if not, how do they differ?

My Service Manager says that they are (but is ready to install 13B12). Another poster's Service Manager says they are different.

Perhaps Ashley could obtain an answer.

Get the answer from your dealer. Make them print you a copy of both TSB's. Read them and you'll know what needs to be done.

Do you have records from the last time they worked on your car ? Did they give you proper documentation, or did you settle for something less than you should have been given ? If your documentation is in order, you'll know exactly what needs to be done after you read both TSB's.

I'm always amazed how dealers get away with NOT providing proper records to the customer. You need to make sure this is done before you leave the dealers service department, EVERY TIME you have your vehicle in for repairs. Without it, you're as clueless as they are.

It's up to you to make sure they provide you with all the proper information about your car. Not just some useless or meaningless drivel scrawled on your paperwork. Real and pertinent information about what was done and the CAL ID's that were updated.

CAL ID's look like these. Make sure the update sheet shows this as well as the DATE.post-1464-0-71149900-1390668565_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

*Sigh*  The 13B12 update failed to fix the problem for me.  I had the 13B12 update applied on 24 Dec 13; I suffered my fifth dead battery this past Tuesday, 21 Jan 14.  I am beyond frustrated at this point--it is obvious that the Ford engineers cannot figure out the source of this problem.  It is a shame, too, because I really like my C-Max otherwise.

Bob

Would you please post your experience on a separate thread so we can track the number dead batteries after the 13B12 update has been applied? I will start the thread, titled  12 Volt Battery Failures After Customer Satisfaction 13B12 Update

I hope people will only post basic info about battery failures after getting the 13B12 update and leave all discussion for other threads. That will make it easier to see the data.

Edited by salman

Thanks for the advice drdiesel1.

All I have is a copy of the invoice showing that they performed the procedure called for by TSB 13-7-10. I will ask for a detailed record of the work done.

In the meantime, the Service Manager has agreed to put in a new battery. Given that the original battery lasted a year, I am hoping this will be at the very least a stopgap measure while Ford searches for a permanent fix.

Also, Ford has "escalated" my request for an informed answer to my simple (IMO) question. "Is the 13B12 recall the same as TSB 13-7-10 and if not, what is different?" 

I will share any useful information I obtain.