Recall 13B07: The Guinea Pig Thread

11StiLimited

How do you remember all that? I figured I'd count stop signs and stop lights on my route; took several tries before I got the same answer twice... 6 and 11.  where'd all those light come from?

+1 on the 2-bar burn.

Have fun,

Frank

I don't but I do not need to...driving those roads practically everyday, you get the gist of what Maxine likes and what she doesn't . I left out some of the side/alternate routes as they apply to my job and where I shoot but not really that practical if you're driving thru, I burnt like 15,000 miles from Dec2012 to May 2013. However, my new office job means I no longer take these routes as work is now much closer and I take city streets but these routes are burnt into my memory and I would use them again if I am headed there...

Next weekend, I'll do a test run to see compare what the 13b07 has given me when I do a long run from home to Camarillo. So far, my last 2 to-work runs from home to work has been an absymal low 70s when I usually do high 70s to low 80s. Not real happy with this update at this time...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It's been a few days since the 13B07 update and my wife has had time to drive the car for those few days.  She normally averages 37-38 mpg and the current reading is 41 mpg, a noticeable improvement.  I drove it to the gym the other day, 4.6 miles one way and I got 50.2 mpg.  I like the update.

First off, I know nothing about cars.  After the update, mine ran "differently" for close to a tank. Like it couldn't find the groove. After reading some of the regular vs. premium threds, it looks like some part or chip controls timing or advancement or something. I wonder if this information gets erased in the update and has to be re-learned. I had a similar lose of "groove" when I switched from E-0 this spring to E=10?.

After taking mine back which they say could not find anything wrong. My power is back and mileage is creeping back up. Burned a half tank with the cars ICE screaming on the highway and during accelation.

Yesterday drove to work 33 miles mostly at 70. Got 45+mpg. Coming home same route got 46+. Seems to be learning my drive and adjusting for better mileage. Still haven't gotten my frequent destinations back yet, so will improve even more.

After getting the 13B07 upgrade, has the A/C function been just as comfortable as before? The A/C is important to me, and currently the Max cools off quickly and maintains a comfortable 73 degrees. I don't want to sacrifice that for a couple miles per gallon. Thanks for your responses.

I'm in central Florida - I haven't noticed any change.

I've noticed that sometimes with the AC set on "LO", and the car first started, it won't actually blow at max speeds unless I hit the "Max AC" button.  I find the blower speed much more variable.

The first time I read this I thought it was waiting for the ducts to cool.

But then I read "AC set on "LO"",

I'm pretty sure LO is and will stay LO till it's changed.

When I put ours on HI it stays HI till DW is shivering, smacks me and I say...."huh OH :yahoo: it is getting a little cool isn't it"

After getting the 13B07 upgrade, has the A/C function been just as comfortable as before? The A/C is important to me, and currently the Max cools off quickly and maintains a comfortable 73 degrees. I don't want to sacrifice that for a couple miles per gallon. Thanks for your responses.

I've always used the AC on manual fan at a temperature set at 73F.  Prior to the update it would get pretty cold that I would have to adjust or shut off AC.  After the update, it seems to cut the temperature more often because it doesn't get as cold and varies load visibly on the power drawn screen.

Well I switched my view to empowerment per a suggestion to see better how the EV was working---don't like that view much, prefer my simplistic Coach view. I was really surprised to see my ICE mpg is 20 when driving in my neighborhood or on surface streets while driving up to 40 mph. I think that sucks, but explains why in EV it shows as 60+, thus averaging  around 40 something. And the point behind this is NO IMPROVEMENT with the update. Gonna have to break down and call the dealer and complain---never a fun time. Hope everyone else is getting some real improvement in the mpg with the update---

Well I switched my view to empowerment per a suggestion to see better how the EV was working---don't like that view much, prefer my simplistic Coach view. I was really surprised to see my ICE mpg is 20 when driving in my neighborhood or on surface streets while driving up to 40 mph. I think that sucks, but explains why in EV it shows as 60+, thus averaging  around 40 something. And the point behind this is NO IMPROVEMENT with the update. Gonna have to break down and call the dealer and complain---never a fun time. Hope everyone else is getting some real improvement in the mpg with the update---

You'll see a much bigger improvement on fuel economy if you use the empower screen and change driving habits to maximize the advantages of the C-Max (higher EV speed / battery capacity).  If you look at my fuelly, I started with a range of 30mpg to 40mpg.  The C-Max is my first hybrid and my driving style before did not maximize the available features of a hybrid.

From my experience the update hasn't provided a significant change in mileage for the C-Max.  As a reference I had 4554 miles prior to the update with about 80% highway driving to and from Toronto to Detroit where I averaged 44.2mpg.  After the update I've driven 2449.1 miles on pretty much the same route, with about 80% highway where I'm now averaging 45.02mpg.  The biggest impact the update is providing will probably be during winter because of the shorter warm-up time.

CONFUSED----

CMax was in for oil change and 13B07 update- service notes say: Unable to perform recall 13B07 - Must wait until next IDS Update is released.

My service writer was not available to ask.

Any idea what this is about??

For me means another wasted day taking the car in for an update that should help performance at highway speeds.  Not pleased

CONFUSED----

CMax was in for oil change and 13B07 update- service notes say: Unable to perform recall 13B07 - Must wait until next IDS Update is released.

My service writer was not available to ask.

Any idea what this is about??

For me means another wasted day taking the car in for an update that should help performance at highway speeds.  Not pleased

Hope they didn't have a problem with the 13B07 update that they have to rev the software again. 

Same thing just happened to me on Saturday.  I was a little suspicious, but they told me the exact same thing as you. 

My SA said that they had done a bunch of the updates without problem, but that they just got a new version of software (for the dealer, not for the C-MAX), and that they spent over four hours the day before trying to do an update that would not take.  They spent a lot of time with Ford via telephone, and Ford said that they had found a corrupt file or some problem with this version, and that they would be updating the software to fix the issue.  Ford further instructed not to do any updates until resolved.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, the problem software is not related to the C-MAX fuel economy update 13B07.  The issue has to do with the updated IDS software.

Also, the SA made it sound like this is not uncommon, and also said that they usually get the fix quickly, even the next day.  I am going to call tomorrow.  I now have my 13B07 scheduled for next Tuesday, the day after Labor Day.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

I've always used the AC on manual fan at a temperature set at 73F.  Prior to the update it would get pretty cold that I would have to adjust or shut off AC.  After the update, it seems to cut the temperature more often because it doesn't get as cold and varies load visibly on the power drawn screen.

Thanks for your response

A BIG FROM ME...

This 13B07 thing is a disaster IMVHO. Now I get 37 MPG when driving more gently. The car has "no power", is terribly vulnerable to hill-climbing-deceleration, is much louder now, cannot really enjoy it as much as I did before the update.

I did not want the 13B07 thing. But the guys @ the dealership told me that the MFT fix was overlapped by 13B07 do they had to do it together. Now the GPS is still not working and I drive a cr...y car that has become very much Prius-like: "no-g...ts-appliance on 4 wheels".

Yes - I am really disappointed with the 13B07 voluntary update. I asked them if it was reversible and they said "no". 

One Last Thing: The A/C got messed up now. It was around 88F today in eastern PA (Bucks County) and although I turned the knobs down to LO - I was getting a nice sizzling heat. Before - I had to set it @73 to feel comfortable enough at the outside temp. @95-100. Or maybe I am getting old and am getting the manly-hot-flashes.

Edited by pjurek99

Same thing just happened to me on Saturday.  I was a little suspicious, but they told me the exact same thing as you. 

My SA said that they had done a bunch of the updates without problem, but that they just got a new version of software (for the dealer, not for the C-MAX), and that they spent over four hours the day before trying to do an update that would not take.  They spent a lot of time with Ford via telephone, and Ford said that they had found a corrupt file or some problem with this version, and that they would be updating the software to fix the issue.  Ford further instructed not to do any updates until resolved.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, the problem software is not related to the C-MAX fuel economy update 13B07.  The issue has to do with the updated IDS software.

Also, the SA made it sound like this is not uncommon, and also said that they usually get the fix quickly, even the next day.  I am going to call tomorrow.  I now have my 13B07 scheduled for next Tuesday, the day after Labor Day.

I'm sure it says somewhere, but what is "IDS software"?

Never mind, I figured it out..         IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software)

Edited by oxnard

X-post from another thread...

I am wondering if it's a good idea for me to get the MPG update or not. Pjurek99 above suggests the updates hose performance; others say it does "at first" but then recovers -- but I suspect that recovery is actually the owners adjusting to the new reduced performance. I bought the car because it was a hot hatch that happened to be a hybrid. Any % decrease in power, responsiveness, acceleration etc AT ALL is not an acceptable trade for me to get 1-3 more MPG. Not stoked on giving up A/C performance either.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

With much effort I managed to get 47.2 on my trip to work this morning. It's not the 55.4 or 54.8 I was getting but it's better than yesterdays 43. I'll take anything at this point.

A BIG FROM ME...

This 13B07 thing is a disaster IMVHO. Now I get 37 MPG when driving more gently. The car has "no power", is terribly vulnerable to hill-climbing-deceleration, is much louder now, cannot really enjoy it as much as I did before the update.

I did not want the 13B07 thing. But the guys @ the dealership told me that the MFT fix was overlapped by 13B07 do they had to do it together. Now the GPS is still not working and I drive a cr...y car that has become very much Prius-like: "no-g...ts-appliance on 4 wheels".

Yes - I am really disappointed with the 13B07 voluntary update. I asked them if it was reversible and they said "no". 

One Last Thing: The A/C got messed up now. It was around 88F today in eastern PA (Bucks County) and although I turned the knobs down to LO - I was getting a nice sizzling heat. Before - I had to set it @73 to feel comfortable enough at the outside temp. @95-100. Or maybe I am getting old and am getting the manly-hot-flashes.

pjurek99

Go back to pg 14 of this thread post # 269 by JohnnOhio and start reading forward, he had very good luck with a re-visit to have his 13B07 checked.

A BIG FROM ME...

I have the same problem with mine. I took it back and they checked it and told me that it is installed correctly per Fords update. I'm not happy with my car anymore. No power to pass and climb hills. This update stinks.

Just to clear things up. The update stinks. NO power to pass and climb hills. The car is starting to get better but nothing like before. I wish they would have left it alone. I loved it the way it was when I bought it. I'm just waiting to get in an accident in it merging on the freeeway or just pulling out of my driveway. I live on a 2 lane highway 55mph, Nobody drives that slow on it so I have had a couple close calls already. If I survive the crash that's coming I won't be getting another Ford.

Took my Maxie in to fix the update. They said they used 2 computers and checked the update to be sure, and they could not find anything wrong. Driving off the lot I noticed right away that something was changed. I had power agian. My babies back :happy feet:  :yahoo:  :bliss:

Coming into work today at 70. RPS that used to run at 4500 and climb hills at 6000 were back to cruise at 2000 and climb hills at 3000.

I was using 1/4 tank of gas per day for 66 mile round trip and now did't see a change on the gas gauge coming in.

EV at 65 aand 70 is AWSOME!!!!! :wub2:

Have to tell them what happened   

GREAT JOB  BUYERS FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to clear things up. The update stinks. NO power to pass and climb hills. The car is starting to get better but nothing like before. I wish they would have left it alone. I loved it the way it was when I bought it. I'm just waiting to get in an accident in it merging on the freeeway or just pulling out of my driveway. I live on a 2 lane highway 55mph, Nobody drives that slow on it so I have had a couple close calls already. If I survive the crash that's coming I won't be getting another Ford.

Has something changed back? It seemed your issues were resolved a week ago...

Have fun,

Frank, who double posted due to the twists this thread's following!

Edited by fbov