2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

Can't comment on it continuing to try and connect, though I think there's something in the AsBuilt about a retry count so it may give up after some tries? This is PURELY a guess.

The module will still pull 12v power regardless. It is still used for the operation of the Value Charge and Go Times functions even with no active 3G service.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. The question is mostly for European owners of TCU-E2. I have a TCU-E2 and a defective FordPass app functionality (no EV features). I understand that now all owners of C-MAX with TCU-E2 have such a problem and so far there is no solution. But I found another annoying problem with the TCU-E2 - the inability to enable and configure GO TIME directly on the SYNC itself. When you press the power button, nothing happens. When there was a 3G modem, this problem did not exist. How can I fix this problem? With the advent of winter, I would very much like GO TIME to function.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:15 PM, MadAleX said:

Hi all. The question is mostly for European owners of TCU-E2. I have a TCU-E2 and a defective FordPass app functionality (no EV features). I understand that now all owners of C-MAX with TCU-E2 have such a problem and so far there is no solution. But I found another annoying problem with the TCU-E2 - the inability to enable and configure GO TIME directly on the SYNC itself. When you press the power button, nothing happens. When there was a 3G modem, this problem did not exist. How can I fix this problem? With the advent of winter, I would very much like GO TIME to function.

I'm sorry that we don't seem to have many European owners here it seems, to answer your question.  I am aware of the GO TIME function as our 2013 Energi did have it.  We never really used it, partly because we live in a moderate climate, and also we don't leave at the same time every day.

I feel like the issue is mostly solvable by the Ford engineering team, unless there may be something that can be done with ForScan.

Are you able to Remote Start your C-MAX?  Here's a ForScan forum thread where it appears they are enabling that feature if you don't have it:

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11744&start=170

I understand there is limitation in range and GO TIME would be much more convenient, but in the mean time while a solution is still not available....

• 5 weeks later...

Posted about this over on the Cyanlabs forums, but also updating here:

My 2013's still been flaky when it comes to the new TCU/FordPass. I've kept up to date on the TCU calibration levels. Latest one out there is dated 9/15 with the following files:

HJ5T-14G139-UP
HJ5T-14G144-UR

Still dealing with no EV Trip Data and fuel level for whatever reason is seriously delayed and is often consistently days out of date or may take a half dozen individual trips to update. Also had some issues recently getting the Go Times to update properly and failing from FordPass.

Reading through the workshop manual, it lists both the GWM (Gateway Module, part of the OBD connector under the dash, not the one in the left side access panel) and IPC (gauge cluster) as gateways feeding data to the TCU from the rest of the vehicle. No ETA, but I intend to try to pick up 'donor' modules that I can safely update the calibration on without risking my primary modules and thus the vehicle and see if it helps any. There's already the note in Ford's documentation for this program that 2017's need their IPCs updated as part of the procedure (although the assumption with no other evidence is it may just be fixing the 'Push brake to start' display for keyed ignition models) so there's some small hope either of these or both may help. Not sure.

I'll report back again once I get anywhere on it and have anything useful to report. Mostly down to having the disposable funds and time/energy to mess with it. The IPC's going to be a process since it seems like it needs to be flashed in a bench setup and not in the vehicle on the C-Max at least with Forscan. It may even be fun to see if a newer IPC from a later model year that has more of the 'motive' stats on the right hand screen will be backwards compatible with the older model years.

Watch my 2013 quickly turn into a Ship of Theseus! ? (Already tried and failed to get a 2020 ACM in here. Damn the C1MCA architecture...)

Edited by cr08

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, NikonJeff said:

Has anyone heard about updates to the CSP for the C-Max Energi?  I called Ford last week and was told to call the dealership which was pointless as they couldn't find part numbers etc for the 3G-4G modem CSP.   My car is a 2017 C-Max Energi 

You need to talk to a dealership. Tell them CSP # 21B09 - that should have all of the relevant part numbers and info. If you've struck out with your nearest dealership then maybe try calling a different one in your area or a nearby city.

That said, installations on the C-Max have been "paused", supposedly until Q4 2022, which has elapsed. I'm not sure if the delay has been extended or if they're doing swaps in the C-Max again. Ford dealers get regular communications from the Ford mothership so they should be able to look up the most recent info/instructions using that CSP number.

Edited by bookemdano

• 1 month later...

I've just purchased a 2017 C-Max Energi and want to upgrade from the 3G to 4G support.  My Ford Dealer in Toronto area (Burlington) advised that 21B09 has been extended to end of March 2023, but...there is presently no parts availability and they keep checking weekly.  Anyone know how to get, or advise how to get, the required parts for 21B09?

• 1 month later...

Small but important update for those who haven't gotten the news from other sources. Also kinda late getting to this:

The official upgrade process and bulletin through Ford has been updated and upgrades on the C-Max have resumed with new parts and software updates available. Owners who haven't upgraded yet should be getting new notices mailed to them.

For those of us who have DIY'd this, supposedly there's a new software update for the 'old' 4G TCU's as well. No clue on the actual versions/filenames at this time sadly so we're in the dark. We have to wait until someone does get theirs updated through Ford or otherwise and report the new calibration level. I've went through my usual process of checking DSFM (Ford's own site to download calibration files if you know the full filename) by incrementing the suffix, which has worked in the past, but nothing new I can find in that sequence.

There's also been plenty of notes that these can take OTA updates. No idea what the process is for that. My guess is likely it'll happen silently in the background with no notifications or messages and happens all in the TCU itself. To the best of my knowledge there's no mechanisms in either Sync 2 or 3 to do anything like this (ie: Pulling down calibration updates over Wifi and updating the TCU itself. Sync 2 being EOL certainly is out of the question.)

21B09_-_Supplement_2.pdf

Edited by cr08

• 3 weeks later...

OK - so I had the upgrade done last Friday, just finished updating the Sync Software to Version 3.  Still for the life of me cannot see any TPMS info at all.  What the blazes am I missing here?  And yes, I looked after I'd been driving a few minutes on a couple different occasions...

On 5/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, ricollie said:

I have a 2013 cmax nonenergi I would like to add tcu but can't find any place to connect one under any of the panels. Any ideas or help?

On the Energi models, it is located in the left rear cargo trim panel and sits just behind the rear driver side door jamb. However since the hybrid models never came with these, the connector likely is not there. If you want to make the attempt to add it in you'd need to tap in somewhere on the I-CAN bus. That includes mainly infotainment adjacent modules like the APIM, ACM, IPC, FCIM/FCDIM, and DACM-C. These are all up front under the dash.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:35 PM, NikonJeff said:

OK - so I had the upgrade done last Friday, just finished updating the Sync Software to Version 3.  Still for the life of me cannot see any TPMS info at all.  What the blazes am I missing here?  And yes, I looked after I'd been driving a few minutes on a couple different occasions...

No tire pressures reported in FordPass (neither did the old MyFord Mobile app). All it will do is give a general warning if any of the tires reach their low pressure threshold that would light up the TPMS warning on the dash. No way to add this in either. This feature seems to only exist in 'newer' TCUs/those with hotspot capability which will not communicate with the C-Max.

Edited by cr08

On 5/23/2023 at 9:56 PM, cr08 said:

On the Energi models, it is located in the left rear cargo trim panel and sits just behind the rear driver side door jamb. However since the hybrid models never came with these, the connector likely is not there. If you want to make the attempt to add it in you'd need to tap in somewhere on the I-CAN bus. That includes mainly infotainment adjacent modules like the APIM, ACM, IPC, FCIM/FCDIM, and DACM-C. These are all up front under the dash.

No tire pressures reported in FordPass (neither did the old MyFord Mobile app). All it will do is give a general warning if any of the tires reach their low pressure threshold that would light up the TPMS warning on the dash. No way to add this in either. This feature seems to only exist in 'newer' TCUs/those with hotspot capability which will not communicate with the C-Max.

Well that certainly sucks as my 2016 Edge lists the individual tire pressures on the dang dashboard.  I seriously thought I saw somewhere that the TPMS system read the individual tires in the connected app?

Edited by NikonJeff

On 5/23/2023 at 11:04 PM, NikonJeff said:

Well that certainly sucks as my 2016 Edge lists the individual tire pressures on the dang dashboard.  I seriously thought I saw somewhere that the TPMS system read the individual tires in the connected app?

Nope. While the C-Max does track the individual tire pressures internally, there's no stock way to view these either on the in-vehicle displays (nothing you can even enable. I, as well as others, have went through these with a fine toothed comb) or via FordPass. You can use third party scantools to view them however.

• 4 weeks later...

The local Ford dealer finally was able to order the 4g TCU for my 2014 Cmax Energi.  They've had my car for three weeks and can't get it to work.  They are telling me that Ford told them they need their software updated.  The problem that they told me that the new or old TCU won't pass the self test so I guess it won't install the software.  Ford has been telling them to wait for the update and the dealer has told me they have the Field service engineer involved now.  Does this make any sense to anyone?  Meanwhile, I'm driving a loaner and they have my car apart.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:40 PM, Wojo said:

Does this make any sense to anyone?

It’s similar to what I gleaned from my local dealership; car(s) waiting, inoperative update, won’t take my 2016 C-Max since they are still struggling. It’s now been 17 months that I’ve had the part I had to purchase since I missed the cutoff by months.  I grilled them softly to try to deduce if they were just repeating old tribal knowledge or actively working on the issue. Sounded like they do have a recent failure they are struggling with. They all seemed *tired and depressed*. I came away pissed, again. Meanwhile I added a 2017 Chevy Volt to my family’s fleet. Overall I like Ford’s design choices better, though the 18 kWh battery on the Volt is nice. I will revive my support ticket with Ford, call other service centers again, and look seriously at the DIY route. I still like my C-max, but hate Ford’s handling of this issue.

Got this message in the FordPass app this morning on mine.

"Due to software updates to the Fordpass app, preferred Charge Times, Departure Times, and Trip & Charge Logs will no longer be supported on your C-Max. However, you can continue to access and enjoy these features using your in-vehicle display. We regret any inconvenience this may cause."

Curious if anyone else, more specifically those with 2014+ model years covered under the 21B09 program, got this message as well? Also if anyone here has a Fusion Energi or Focus BEV has gotten this? Wondering if this just applied to the C-Max, maybe just hits certain model years? Since mine is a 2013 and was never technically inside this program to begin with.

Screenshot_20230630-130034.jpg

Ultimately it means this has basically hit a 'dead end' for me. I have been continuing to look out for newer firmware updates to try and fix the trip logs at least but since they're just eliminating those functions in the app entirely, no further need for me to continue messing with it. The remaining functionality operates fine as it is now.

Really sucks though they're further dumbing this down. The only saving grace at this point is they continue to offer this for free (subscription-wise, not counting the hardware cost. At this point I'd implore anyone else who hasn't jumped on this to look for DIY options instead of paying Ford the $400-$500 for the modem for limited functionality.)

Edited by cr08

I just got that notice too on my 2013 with the out-of-pocket modem update, this sucks.

The phrasing of the message gives me pause, as we know that the API for the FordPass system can be accessed via different methods. I wonder if the features will continue to exist in the API and they're just ripping the functionality out of the app itself: https://github.com/itchannel/fordpass-ha

I need to go poking through the Sync 3 interface to make sure it *is* actually possible to set these up in the car. From what I remember the configuration of some things was read-only in the vehicle. I've got SSH access to the Sync 3 module so it may be possible for me to set up some kind of wifi-based configuration sync thing too but would obviously not help anyone else in this thread.

Oh wow, I definitely don't check this site often enough.

Sounds like Ford decided to throw in the towel rather than spend any more $$ trying to shoehorn these older vehicles into FordPass.

I don't believe that I have (yet) gotten that message for my 2017 C-Max Energi in my FordPass app (iOS, in case that matters). For those of you who got the message, did it pop up automatically when launching the app? Or did you have to go into the "Message Center" to see it? I suppose it's possible it was there and I somehow closed/missed it, but I don't think so.

That said, I expect we are all affected whether we get the notice or not. And I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised, since those features hardly worked to begin with. The only one that does seem fully functional for me is the charge log, but I very rarely look at it. Preferred charge times sort of works, but back when I messed with it I found it quite buggy. I never use Departure Times so can't comment on that. The trip log has never worked--not even once.

I am of course disappointed that Ford is removing these features. But if I'm being honest I'm not going to really miss them. I only charge away from home in extremely rare circumstances. I try not to charge at level 2 anyway since it puts additional stress on the battery. I use a simple Smart WiFi plug to turn on my level 1 charger overnight when temps are coolest. I park in an insulated garage so I've got no real use for pre-heating/air conditioning the cabin.

Actually, the feature I miss the most from MFM was the status of the door locks and windows. I'm slightly absentminded at times, so it was re-assuring to be able to pull up the app after I'd left the car to verify that I remembered to lock it and roll up the windows. That was never promised to be carried over to FordPass, and this latest update from Ford makes it sound like there's even less chance now.

Oh well, I'm still glad I did the update. I do somewhat regularly use it to check on the charge level of the HVB, and it's reassuring to know that I can remotely lock/unlock/start if the need should arise.

Guess this just reinforces the notion that car companies are basically incapable of retrofitting. All of their effective engineering is done prior to a model's release. Things they try to do after a car rolls off the assembly line don't seem to have a very good track record.

@Cellivar- Late last year myself and many others got their FordPass accounts disabled by Ford due to using third-party apps to interface with our vehicles. In my case it was a HomeBridge plugin, but I know people using the HomeAssistant plugin as well as other 3rd party solutions were also affected. Getting the account re-enabled required several calls to FordPass and basically promising to not use any 3rd-party apps with my FordPass credentials (they said if it happened again my account would be permanently disabled). I'm unsure if anything has changed in that regard, but at least as of then it sounded like Ford was not on-board with 3rd party apps accessing their data.

Edited by bookemdano

@bookemdano I saw similar reports at the time and disconnected the Home Assistant integration. I haven't had any issues with my account since re-enabling the integration after the HA integration author tweaked the timing to be much slower.

That integration pulls the full API details, and includes things like door lock status and window status. For giggles I signed up for a Ford Developer account to get access to the modern API details, turns out the charge profiles are well defined in there.

As we've all speculated it's Ford dropping support for the older Energi platform vehicles and focusing only on the newer platforms. 

The biggest thing I wish I could get the car to do is stick to the charge times and be trustworthy enough about it to leave it plugged in all the time. It'll putter away doing some various battery maintenance things, including topping up the 12v battery, if it's plugged into a live outlet but outside the charging window. I've had such inconsistent results with that though so I use the scheduled times built into my charging cord.

I’ve been holding an HJ5T - 14G087 - UM modem for 18 months now for my 2016 C-Max Energi, dealer still refuses to attempt an install and update. Is this part still a good part? The J-K mentions are making me wonder if I need to push to return the part and get a newer version along with the actual hardware update. Also, Ford customer service told me today that CSP 21B09 was extended until the end of July 2023, so you might want to get your vehicle in if you’ve been holding off.

I just did a DIY update of my 2017 C-Max Energi SE with an F-150 TCU off ebay and everything works fine, except the charge details. The home page of the FordPass app shows that the vehicle is charging and the estimated time of the full charge. There is a "Details" button there, but if  I tap it, I get to the Charge Session screen which only says "Sorry, FordPass isn't responding. Please try again later" and does not show any details.

So my first question is, for those who updated with the dealer, is this supposed work with my vehicle? Second, if yes, did anyone have a similar problem and knows what settings I need to make this work?

Thanks

On 7/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, pvaiko said:

I just did a DIY update of my 2017 C-Max Energi SE with an F-150 TCU off ebay and everything works fine, except the charge details. The home page of the FordPass app shows that the vehicle is charging and the estimated time of the full charge. There is a "Details" button there, but if  I tap it, I get to the Charge Session screen which only says "Sorry, FordPass isn't responding. Please try again later" and does not show any details.

So my first question is, for those who updated with the dealer, is this supposed work with my vehicle? Second, if yes, did anyone have a similar problem and knows what settings I need to make this work?

Thanks

What was your TCU part #? I'm not aware of any compatible ones from the F-150. If it's not compatible, it is possible some basic status displays still work but other functions do not. Also if you can post your AsBuilt, we can verify everything is set correctly. But if you like, you can view the AsBuilt info others have posted throughout this thread. There's not much to config and just a couple important items such as vehicle architecture and engine type