2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

@bookemdano: I am the third owner of a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi. I received the letter from Ford regarding the "Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09" and it appears that they are offering to cover labor of install if I pay for the modem.

I called 2 of the nearest dealerships in NJ: 1 said they have heard of this but have no information on how to do the install. The other (Haldeman Ford) quoted me "approximately $700" for the modem. Not so sure it's worth it for $700. May need to try a 3rd dealership.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:04 AM, vballvic said:

@bookemdano: I am the third owner of a 2017 Ford C-Max Energi. I received the letter from Ford regarding the "Customer Satisfaction Program 21B09" and it appears that they are offering to cover labor of install if I pay for the modem.

I called 2 of the nearest dealerships in NJ: 1 said they have heard of this but have no information on how to do the install. The other (Haldeman Ford) quoted me "approximately $700" for the modem. Not so sure it's worth it for $700. May need to try a 3rd dealership.

I would definitely check other dealerships. That's about double what people are being quoted elsewhere on average. ($300 or thereabouts is the minimum I've seen, upwards of $400-500 is about the max I've seen quoted)

TL:DR

After replacing the existing TCU with part number HJ5T-14G087-UE off an Escape, I was immediately able to activate it via the Fordpass app with no problems, and all the expected features work on the app. I imagine HJ5T-14G087-UF will work as well. 

You could also buy the retrofit TCU from a dealership parts department and install it yourself(although this might be difficult to do as Ford requires their dealers return the 3g TCUs), which I think might be a good idea for non Energi cars

You will also need an might want an LTE antenna or the TCU will throw a code for better reception, but if you have strong AT&T reception you'll be able to activate FordPass without it as the TCU has its own antenna.  The TCU will still throw a code unless you use an official Ford PIFA antenna, if anyone finds out what that flat antenna's part number is in the official kit use please post it. 

I did no As Built changes  on the APIM or TCU.

I retract my suggestion for the DIY swap for Energi cars because you will lose Value Charging.

Getting to the TCU:

You will need: 

8mil, 10 mil socket

T25, T27 bits 

panel removal tools will be useful. 

The TCU is in under the "left hand (driver's side) loadspace panel", which is the panel that goes from the hatch all the way to the rear driver door and has the grate for the battery fan.

To remove this panel you will need to remove the plastic panels that cover the high voltage battery in the hatch, remove the plastic trim piece that covers the hatch latch area, remove the plastic trim panel on the floor attached to the "loadspace panel" , remove the cooling fan grate, and then pull on the loadspace panel from the hatch. 

The TCU is not the big module branded Continental (that's the PATS module) that's nearer to you, the TCU is further into the passenger compartment, you'll know if you found the right thing if you see a module with some foam padding and a sticker with an IMEI on it.

The TCU is attached to the body via some push in rivets, which is where some panel removal tools will come in handy.

Note that the HJ5T module is significantly bigger than the original module, but I was able to make it fit in the loadspace panel.  The size difference is why I suggest buying the retrofit TCU over using one out of an Escape.  

The official docs show that they don't have a special smaller TCU and so they use velcro to attach it to the body (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

I placed the external antenna on the body next to the small window on the C pillar, I guess I'll find out if that's a good place for it to be when I go to places that don't have good AT&T reception.  (In particular, officially they put the antenna in a similar area to where I put mine, upright on the top plastic piece that surrounds the window) 

Set up a FordPass account and add your cars VIN if you haven't.

If you're lucky, after installing the new TCU, you'll see some serial in "Onboard Modem Serial Number(ESN)" in "About Sync" and you should see an "Activate Vehicle" button under a paragraph labeled "Sync Connect" under your car in the FordPass app.

You'll see a prompt on your system for "requested access" and after allowing your app should be good to go! 

There are a set of troubleshooting steps in this F150 Forum thread if you aren't as lucky with activating, and some steps if you still have Sync 2 in your car(but you should consider upgrading!).

Also, my value charging is still broken ☹️

I suspect its because this car came with Nav but I put in a non nav APIM to replace it when it broke.

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, bakedpatato said:

Also, my value charging is still broken ☹️

I suspect its because this car came with Nav but I put in a non nav APIM to replace it when it broke.

Nav vs non-nav shouldn't affect value charging. The vehicle will have a GPS receiver regardless of whether it was equipped for navigation or not. If your EV+ feature is enabled and is still reliably triggering near your home or other frequent destinations, that's a good sign the GPS receiver is still functioning correctly.

What model year is your C-Max? If '15 or earlier, do you still have Sync 2/MyFord Touch or did you upgrade to Sync 3? And what does 'broken' mean regarding the Value Charge feature?

As a side note regarding your antenna note: Something that has also been on the agenda for me is attempting to moving to a fully integrated sharkfin antenna. On some other Ford vehicles, the newer sharkfin style antennas have everything integrated: AM/FM/SiriusXM/GPS/LTE. Once I can get the TCU upgraded, I'll probably look into it a bit further. So far I've preferred to keep my C-Max pretty stock with just a few stock/factory quality of life upgrades. First one was already done and that's the Sync 3 upgrade. TCU is next. The sharkfin antenna upgrade I need to look more into as it's gonna require some extra wiring for the GPS and LTE signals. Upgrading the ACM has been on my radar. The newer ACM's from '19 and newer vehicles have finally moved from the old Sirius tuners to the new SiriusXM tuners so audio quality and channel selection are greatly improved. And supposedly they can finally display album art on SiriusXM and HD Radio channels. So far it seems like these are -almost- plug and play. A few wires on the wiring harness need to be re-pinned and of course some Asbuilt changes, but a few people seem to have accomplished the swap on earlier model years.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:03 AM, cr08 said:

Nav vs non-nav shouldn't affect value charging. The vehicle will have a GPS receiver regardless of whether it was equipped for navigation or not. If your EV+ feature is enabled and is still reliably triggering near your home or other frequent destinations, that's a good sign the GPS receiver is still functioning correctly.

What model year is your C-Max? If '15 or earlier, do you still have Sync 2/MyFord Touch or did you upgrade to Sync 3? And what does 'broken' mean regarding the Value Charge feature?

My car is a MY16 and came with Nav, I replaced the original APIM with a 2017 build non nav unit because the APIM broke. I loaded the original NAV as built into the replacement APIM.

While EV+ is triggering, when I try to add a default profile for value charging after filling out the weekend and weekday times the profile doesn't save. 

In addition, while I can see the reference to saved locations in FordPass (like MFM) no locations are being saved, and adding a manual charging profile in FordPass makes the app throw an error. 

Even loading an APIM as built from a 2016 without nav changes nothing.

I see a reference in the workshop manual that the TCU polls for charge location data to the GPSM and I would assume the Escape config isn't doing that polling... perhaps loading the Asbuilt from a retrofit TCU will fix my issue!

On that note, GPS enhanced ev mode(EV+) has the IPC talking to the SOBDMC , which is also polling for GPS charge location data, which is probably why EV+ is still working, it's it's own isolated system.

And yeah, I considered buying an OEM shark fin with the LTE antenna built in but running wires underneath the headliner is low on my list of things I want to do?

On 1/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, bakedpatato said:

TL:DR

After replacing the existing TCU with part number HJ5T-14G087-UE off an Escape, I was immediately able to activate it via the Fordpass app with no problems, and all the expected features work on the app. I imagine HJ5T-14G087-UF will work as well. 

You could also buy the retrofit TCU from a dealership parts department and install it yourself, which I think might be a good idea. 

You will also need an LTE antenna or the TCU will throw a code, but if you have strong AT&T reception you'll be able to activate FordPass without it. 

I did no As Built changes  on the APIM or TCU

This is fantastic news! I have a 2016 MKX with the old 3G modem that is being put out of service. According to the Ford documentation, the C-Max and MKX share a common 4G upgrade kit - AMMU7J A00A25 AA.

image.png.05b6a9c2958f5969342a3135a5c563ab.png

I haven't called around to see if a dealership will sell me just the retrofit kit, but it's not showing up in any of the online Ford parts dealerships. The instructions reference IDS, so I was worried about the dealership having to activate the kit.

I've started working my way through the 80 page F-150 forum thread, lots of into there.

If I wanted to try to retrofit a module from another Ford vehicle, is there a specific reason you went for the Escape unit, or could any 2018+ unit work for me?

Do you think there's some kind of initial setup the dealership would have to do on a brand new modem that you didn't have to do on an already-activated used one?

On 1/25/2022 at 3:03 PM, Laminar said:

If I wanted to try to retrofit a module from another Ford vehicle, is there a specific reason you went for the Escape unit, or could any 2018+ unit work for me?

Do you think there's some kind of initial setup the dealership would have to do on a brand new modem that you didn't have to do on an already-activated used one?

1) The main reason for the model unit above from the Escape for some of our C-Max model years is they still support the I-CAN bus used in the early model years which is needed. Newer vehicles and other models potentially move off of that to a few separate HS-CAN buses which aren't plug-and-play. Not sure how the MKX fares with this. It would require digging into wiring diagrams for your vehicle and model year to determine what CAN buses are used for the TCU.

2) We don't know about the activation stuff. It's highly likely there is some activation needed on the dealer end for a brand new module, but it is uncertain. The F-150 forums may be the best source of info on that for now and just keep tabs on if anyone over there does a retrofit with the official brand new TCU.

I do appreciate the info on the kit. If you don't mind, I'm gonna add it to the OP.

EDIT: As far as the part number you provided and what I've gathered from other sites, that's an internal only part number and would not be able to be used through the parts site or potentially a dealer parts desk. Based off of the full bulletin PDF and taking a wild guess, the full kit may only be available through this specific program. It could be possible to track down JUST the TCU on its own and order that outside of the kit if someone who's had it done can supply the TCU model number. This can easily be pulled from ForScan with no disassembly of the vehicle if anyone is interested in providing that info.

Edited by cr08

Reading further into the full bulletin document and inferring what it is stating, here's what I'm seeing (highlighted in the screenshot below):

The primary purpose of this program seems to be to cover those vehicles still within the trial period for MyFord Mobile so as to ensure the owners can continue to be covered and maintain use for the duration of the trial. It does seem to indicate those no longer in the trial and outside of the windows noted in the bulletin (ie: 2013 models) can still get in on this, they just won't receive a notice and our VINs won't be on the lists referenced in the bulletin.

Yet another guess on my part: It may take some prodding for dealers to be aware of this and many may just be relying solely on the supplied VIN lists and years noted. Going back to square one: If anyone's got a 2013 and is successful in getting this upgrade through their dealer, it'd be awesome to know! So far I've been unsuccessful through official channels as they seem to only look at what programs are specifically posted for my vehicle.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 195509.png

On 1/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, Laminar said:

For a non Energi vehicle, as long as your car originally came with a TCU, I suspect you won't have issues. If I'm not mistaken the people having issues activating their app in the F150 thread are...well per the thread name of course, trying to retrofit a car that didn't have a TCU before.

Even if the brand new modem came with no configuration and the lack of configuration causes an issue (which you would see a DTC from the TCU), if you save your current TCU configuration via Forscan or use the motocraft as built site you would have the proper config, as anything beyond the first 2 lines of the config are common for all TCUs i've seen. 

I do retract my suggestion for the retrofit for Energi cars though.

I suspect more and more given I've ruled everything else out and given some help from some folks, and how people lost their value charging the same way I did during the 3G swap, that my value charging issue is because Ford's servers still think that my car still has a 3g modem.

I am going to use the dealership tools to do a module initialization in the hope that that process updates my hardware config on Ford's system, so that the system sees the 4g modem....otherwise I guess I am totally dead in the water in regards to value charging . 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:08 PM, bakedpatato said:

For a non Energi vehicle, as long as your car originally came with a TCU, I suspect you won't have issues. If I'm not mistaken the people having issues activating their app in the F150 thread are...well per the thread name of course, trying to retrofit a car that didn't have a TCU before.

Even if the brand new modem came with no configuration and the lack of configuration causes an issue (which you would see a DTC from the TCU), if you save your current TCU configuration via Forscan or use the motocraft as built site you would have the proper config, as anything beyond the first 2 lines of the config are common for all TCUs i've seen. 

I do retract my suggestion for the retrofit for Energi cars though.

I suspect more and more given I've ruled everything else out and given some help from some folks, and how people lost their value charging the same way I did during the 3G swap, that my value charging issue is because Ford's servers still think that my car still has a 3g modem.

I am going to use the dealership tools to do a module initialization in the hope that that process updates my hardware config on Ford's system, so that the system sees the 4g modem....otherwise I guess I am totally dead in the water in regards to value charging . 

Has it been determined that people who have done the official upgrade from Ford are able to Value Charge successfully?

On 1/25/2022 at 6:08 PM, cr08 said:

1) The main reason for the model unit above from the Escape for some of our C-Max model years is they still support the I-CAN bus used in the early model years which is needed. Newer vehicles and other models potentially move off of that to a few separate HS-CAN buses which aren't plug-and-play. Not sure how the MKX fares with this. It would require digging into wiring diagrams for your vehicle and model year to determine what CAN buses are used for the TCU.

Good info, thanks!

It could be possible to track down JUST the TCU on its own and order that outside of the kit if someone who's had it done can supply the TCU model number. This can easily be pulled from ForScan with no disassembly of the vehicle if anyone is interested in providing that info.

If you get just the TCU, what do you do about the antenna? Are the 3G and 4G antennas the same? It looks like the kit antenna is a flat rectangle that gets stuck to the plastic trim panel.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, Laminar said:

Good info, thanks!

If you get just the TCU, what do you do about the antenna? Are the 3G and 4G antennas the same? It looks like the kit antenna is a flat rectangle that gets stuck to the plastic trim panel.

The kit antenna is a 4g antenna that also is wired in a way that the TCU likes so it doesn't throw a code;I personally didn't use one of the Ford official antennas cause an equivalent (the Ford PIFA antennas the F150 guys keep taking about) cost $35+, requires to be bolted into the body while the one on Amazon I linked in one of my messages cost $10, but still causes the TCU to throw a code.

The code is harness though. 

The Amazon one added 20 units of unknown measure to my reception so it does work, but if you're really in a pinch and have strong ATT coverage you don't even need the antenna as the TCU has its own built in antenna.

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/26/2022 at 3:08 PM, bakedpatato said:

I imagine one of the people who posted in this topic would've mentioned it if it didn't work for them

Not so sure about that. For one, I think we've only had 3-4 people post here who have done the upgrade through Ford. Also, Value Charging isn't a universally-used feature. I myself don't use it even though I do regularly use the MFM app.

So I'll turn this into an actual ask for anyone who has gotten the 4G modem from Ford--can you please try to test (set up/make changes to) the Value Charging settings from the FordPass app? Also, try changing them via the car's center screen and see if they sync over to the FordPass app.

Hopefully we can nail down for sure if this is an issue on Ford's end (quite possible since these features were added to FordPass pretty recently), or if DIYers are going to potentially need to flash firmware from an "official" Energi 4G TCU.

Edit: Wow, twice as many as I thought! Tagging the folks who have posted that they had the official 4G upgrade: @eostrike, @EddyBoston, @dbakerhmb, @SayheyBj, @oldbeyondmeasure, @EDC, @Marz, @GeR2, and of course anyone else who has had it done.

Also, not sure if you saw his posts about it, but the first person in the thread to report about their official upgrade--@eostrike--mentioned issues setting up Value Charging here and here. So hopefully this is actually a bug affecting all the MFM vehicles rather than a specific issue with DIY TCU transplants.

Edited by bookemdano

On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, bookemdano said:

Also, not sure if you saw his posts about it, but the first person in the thread to report about their official upgrade--@eostrike--mentioned issues setting up Value Charging here and here. So hopefully this is actually a bug affecting all the MFM vehicles rather than a specific issue with DIY TCU transplants.

(No sarcasm intended here) Totally appreciate all the legwork on this!

but I have a totally different issue from the person who posted the Value Charging pic, my Value Charging screen is totally blank (there's no text talking about the FordPass app,the bottom buttons,etc) with the exception of the pencil logo... which doesn't even have the word "Default" in the row,  FordPass doesn't show any locations where I charged at, nor do I even get charge logs.

No one explicitly said this in the posts I saw regarding the 3G era swaps but I suspect some of those people saw the same thing I did but on their Sync 2 system.

Also,unless I somehow missed it, no one 

with an Energi publicly posted about DIY'ing an upgrade from 2g to 3g so I don't have any past experiences to go on either ☹️

To further complicate this, my car has been in this value charge empty screen state since I switched APIMs from the original older nav unit to a newer non nav APIM.

However, my 3g TCU upon the APIM swap was in a weird state that I couldn't get MFM to send the activation prompt, then eventually stopped responding via Forscan...

Given how I loaded a config from a non nav car onto the APIM to no avail with my dead 3g or working 4g TCU I have no other ideas beyond some provisioning error on Ford's backend.

The specialized reader I need for the dealership activation just came so I'll be trying it out tonight...

PXL_20220122_183224079.MP.jpg

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, bookemdano said:

Hopefully we can nail down for sure if this is an issue on Ford's end (quite possible since these features were added to FordPass pretty recently), or if DIYers are going to potentially need to flash firmware from an "official" Energi 4G TCU.

Sorry for the double post but I re-read your post and I missed this.

I crossed checked the configuration from an actual 4g upgraded Fusion Energi with what my 3g modem had before; there's a decoder ring spreadsheet out there and the values in the 4g Fusion Energi config are pretty much the same from the 3g config my car came with minus some values related to the platform of the car.

Therefore, its likely that the config on my TCU is correct and heck the configuration doesn't seem to matter considering that pretty much everything but settings related to charging worked even with the config from the Escape. 

While I have not updated the calibration level (or firmware) of the TCU installed in my car I'm not holding out on that changing anything ?

I'm hoping this is some weird issue that only my car has because of some bad luck,and that the dealership tool's activation will fix it but yeah I rather not lead someone down a path where there's a chance they lose a feature even one so minor 

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, cr08 said:

Can you dump the AsBuilt for your current APIM? I can do some comparing against mine and see if there's anything out of place there that may be impacting it.

Forscan has a feature to load as built from OASIS so I did that, minus disabling Nav

7D0-01-01  2328  6503  800C 
  7D0-01-02  0088  1680  0A04 
  7D0-02-01  5553  0106  C049 
  7D0-02-02  8200  1000  006D 
  7D0-02-03  0000  DC   
  7D0-03-01  0001  0000  00DC 
  7D0-04-01  0100  0401  00E2 
  7D0-04-02  0001  DE   
  7D0-05-01  17A2  1798  286D 
  7D0-05-02  BE9C     
  7D0-06-01  805E     
  7D0-07-01  1104  3300  0027 
  7D0-07-02  0000  0682  0068 
  7D0-07-03  0004  306A  007F 
  7D0-07-04  6446   

I have been away from this discussion for a few days and I see posts. One asks: "Has it been determined that people who have done the official upgrade from Ford are able to Value Charge successfully?" The answer for me is "Not yet." 

However, somewhere along the way, I found a screen in the FordPass app on my phone indicating that Android Auto interferes with FordPass. So I disabled it on the car this afternoon and I was able to load a Value Charge profile from the phone. This Value Charge profile is called "Home." See the screenshot from the Sync 3 display. (Sorry that it appears to be upside down.) Please note that although the phone has a "MAX CHARGE LEVEL" setting, my C-Max appears to have ignored this. In fact, it appears to have ignored the entire Value Charge profile altogether. I am going to have to work with this to see if there is something else that I need to do. Note that there is no Edit button next to the Home profile. I can't see it or change it in Sync 3. 

Again, if you are having trouble and you use Android Auto, disable it in the Sync settings (on my car, go to "Settings", "Android Auto Preferences," and disable it) and see if that helps at all.  

Value_Charge_Profile_Screen_20220126_200303.jpg

The whole Android Auto issue you're referring to is a red herring. The incompatibility is only for the use of the Applink/journey recording feature in the app which for most is practically useless and especially for us with the TCU providing most of that functionality. 

Go into the FordPass app, go to Account > Settings > Journey Recording and turn off the 'Journey Settings' option. This will allow Android Auto to function and the connected/TCU functionality in FordPass should remain unaffected.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:21 PM, bakedpatato said:

Forscan has a feature to load as built from OASIS so I did that, minus disabling Nav

7D0-01-01  2328  6503  800C 
  7D0-01-02  0088  1680  0A04 
  7D0-02-01  5553  0106  C049 
  7D0-02-02  8200  1000  006D 
  7D0-02-03  0000  DC   
  7D0-03-01  0001  0000  00DC 
  7D0-04-01  0100  0401  00E2 
  7D0-04-02  0001  DE   
  7D0-05-01  17A2  1798  286D 
  7D0-05-02  BE9C     
  7D0-06-01  805E     
  7D0-07-01  1104  3300  0027 
  7D0-07-02  0000  0682  0068 
  7D0-07-03  0004  306A  007F 
  7D0-07-04  6446   

While this is what Ford has as the factory AsBuilt, if you can verify what is loaded in the APIM currently that would be helpful just to be 100% sure and rule out if anything didn't get written correctly when you updated the new unit. I'll still take a look at this OASIS info when I have a chance.

EDIT: Also, if you can go to the About screen in Sync and verify if it has the TCU ESN listed? As best as I can tell, the Value Charge and Go Times functions are specifically operated inside the TCU even if you configure them in the vehicle and not the app/site. If the TCU is not communicating with the APIM (which would be confirmed by the TCU ESN not showing), this could also be the cause. But just an educated guess on my part.

Edited by cr08

On 1/26/2022 at 8:37 PM, cr08 said:

While this is what Ford has as the factory AsBuilt, if you can verify what is loaded in the APIM currently that would be helpful just to be 100% sure and rule out if anything didn't get written correctly when you updated the new unit. I'll still take a look at this OASIS info when I have a chance.

EDIT: Also, if you can go to the About screen in Sync and verify if it has the TCU ESN listed? As best as I can tell, the Value Charge and Go Times functions are specifically operated inside the TCU even if you configure them in the vehicle and not the app/site. If the TCU is not communicating with the APIM (which would be confirmed by the TCU ESN not showing), this could also be the cause. But just an educated guess on my part.

That is the As built I loaded onto the unit and I just checked and it looks about right,

and the TCU ESN shows up on About Sync...

I am really stumped that everything (battery soc, mileage, gas capacity, lock, unlock, remote start, even the cars location) but anything related to value charging works in FordPass and worked even with an Escapes' config in the TCU

and that value charging menu continues to be blank even after applying a proper AsBuilt for the TCU and multiple sync master resets, mutiple TCU resets, so forth

?‍♂️

Edited by bakedpatato

On 1/27/2022 at 12:03 AM, bakedpatato said:

That is the As built I loaded onto the unit and I just checked and it looks about right,

and the TCU ESN shows up on About Sync...

I am really stumped that everything (battery soc, mileage, gas capacity, lock, unlock, remote start, even the cars location) but anything related to value charging works in FordPass and worked even with an Escapes' config in the TCU

and that value charging menu continues to be blank even after applying a proper AsBuilt for the TCU and multiple sync master resets, mutiple TCU resets, so forth

?‍♂️

Just had a chance to review your AsBuilt against mine this morning and the only differences are the change to disable Nav that you made and the amount of parking sensors, neither of which should interfere. Everything else including all the Hybrid/plug-in bits are set accordingly. So rules that out as a culprit at least. Beyond that and if the TCU is behaving otherwise, I'm not really sure. ?

If any other attempts you make to resolve this don't work, a long shot may be to check out the community over at Cyanlabs and inquire about this there. Folks there are a lot more familiar with APIM stuff and may at least have more troubleshooting to try.

CyanLabs Official Community - CyanLabs Official Community

Edited by cr08

@bakedpatato you alluded to this in a previous post, but just wanted to be sure--did you say that someone else you assisted in doing a TCU swap also lost the value charging screen in their car the same way you did?

If so, that's interesting because it may eliminate other variables in your case (e.g. your APM swap and your 3G TCU dying on its own even before you changed it out).

I'm also curious what happens to the value charging screen if you simply disconnect your TCU entirely (and maybe follow up with a master reset)? What happens to it if you re-connect your 3G TCU? I know you can no longer provision the car in MFM, but does the mere presence of the 3G TCU (or having no TCU connected at all) affect how that screen appears in your center stack? Since value charging is completely controlled by the car I'd be honestly surprised if Ford made it completely dependent upon their telematics server side.

Anyway, just an idea. Keep us posted!