Whoa Nellie!!! Is this the :airquote:  *update to improve fuel effeciency* :airquote:  that we've been hearing about about this week, or something else entirely? And it addresses *freezes*!! :doh: And they've known about this since when??? :waiting:

Edited by Adair

Thanks for the notice.  A couple of interesting pieces of information here beyond the update itself.  Ford is extending the SYNC/MFT warranty from 3 to 5 years unlimited mileage.  It also states dealers will assist owners with the installtion implying we may be able to do it ourselves.  

Adair, v3.6 will not be the FE improvements.  SYNC/MFT is an Infotainment system.

Thanks for the notice.  A couple of interesting pieces of information here beyond the update itself.  Ford is extending the SYNC/MFT warranty from 3 to 5 years unlimited mileage.  It also states dealers will assist owners with the installtion implying we may be able to do it ourselves.  

Adair, v3.6 will not be the FE improvements.  SYNC/MFT is an Infotainment system.

Right, I was saying we had to bring our cars in for a PCM update and the MFT 3.5.1 update.  I wouldn't be surprised if we just bring our cars in for the FE update and the 3.6 update at the same time.

If true to form with 3.5.1, 3.6 comes out Aug 2013, C-Max users will see it around May 2014, sorry will believe it when I see it running on the car.

Suspect that it is different then the fuel efficiency update though

The 3.5.1 update was always going to be later for the Electrified vehicles than the normal ones when first announced.  The PCM module update was rumored to be the cause of delay for the C-Max.

I would think the PCM just needs to be reprogrammed anyways for the FE update.

The Ford Dealer could not update one of my PCM's for the 3.5.1 update without replacing the module. They said several C-Maxes had the same issue. They said new PCM's come with no firmware installed and some original PCM's simply refuse to take the update. The PCM will appear to update and the tool they use reports success but when you actually explore the system reported firmware versions have not changed. The dealer said several customers required return trips to resolve this. My C-Max was  in the shop for one week until they could get this sorted out. My plan for the FE update is to let them practice on other C-Maxes before they get mine.

Edited by darrelld

Right, I was saying we had to bring our cars in for a PCM update and the MFT 3.5.1 update.  I wouldn't be surprised if we just bring our cars in for the FE update and the 3.6 update at the same time.

The 3.5.1 update was always going to be later for the Electrified vehicles than the normal ones when first announced.  The PCM module update was rumored to be the cause of delay for the C-Max.

If the pcm was the reason, they could have forklifted all the early purchasers with the version that was shipping in the C-Maxes that where being delivered with 3.5.1 already installed, there was no excuse to delay it whne they already had the fix in place and selling cars that already had the update. They had my c-max for close to 2 weeks and ended up forklifting almost the entire system (including the pcm) to get it to function correctly. I have very little confidence in FMC's ability to handle software upgrades, but I have also volunteered the c-max for the test bed at my dealer for the fuel efficiency upgrade next month, really sick of averaging 34-36 mpg when they claim hire. Given that 95 percent of my driving is on the highway with the cruise set at 60 mph in temperatures averaging 90 degrees. To stop a comment - it is not my driving habits was able to average around 26-26 mpg on my previous vehicle - a ford escape gas on the same drive

I was told I would be able to install these types of updates myself. Is that fantasy finally going to become a reality, or will this be another cluster-fark with over-night stays at the dealership?

I see Ford is hiring 500 engineers for their hybrid-electric car effort. Could like 10 of those be assigned to fixing the updating issues?

As this point I dread taking my car in as life is just too short.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

If the pcm was the reason, they could have forklifted all the early purchasers with the version that was shipping in the C-Maxes that where being delivered with 3.5.1 already installed, there was no excuse to delay it whne they already had the fix in place and selling cars that already had the update. They had my c-max for close to 2 weeks and ended up forklifting almost the entire system (including the pcm) to get it to function correctly. I have very little confidence in FMC's ability to handle software upgrades, but I have also volunteered the c-max for the test bed at my dealer for the fuel efficiency upgrade next month, really sick of averaging 34-36 mpg when they claim hire. Given that 95 percent of my driving is on the highway with the cruise set at 60 mph in temperatures averaging 90 degrees. To stop a comment - it is not my driving habits was able to average around 26-26 mpg on my previous vehicle - a ford escape gas on the same drive

I'm not sure what you mean by forklifted?  But if you mean replacing the entire PCM module just to prevent a delay by a month or so, I think your asking for too much.  That would have been pretty costly in every C-Max sold.  We do not have all the information that they have.  (I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these meetings.)  I for one am wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure what you mean by forklifted?  But if you mean replacing the entire PCM module just to prevent a delay by a month or so, I think your asking for too much.  That would have been pretty costly in every C-Max sold.  We do not have all the information that they have.  (I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of these meetings.)  I for one am wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.

forklift = yank it out and put a new one in

The delay was a lot more then 1 month, more like 5 months - and it was one of the parts replaced on the 2 week stay on my C-Max, along with a lot more of the MFT system. Seems like the only factory installed part of the sync system left on the car after that period was the screen. The PCM error was discussed starting around February or so. I wish they had migrated the old syncmyride.com forums, there was a huge thread on it there, unfortunately they decided not to include community forums on the new site.

There is a thread that was start back in April here called 3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone. They rolled 3.5.1 out in new vehicles built on and after 02/21/2013, so they had an updated pcm back then.3.5.1 was promised before the end of first quarter. it was finally available to early adopters in May. They finally got mine working within acceptable limits by forklifting almost the entire infrastructure that comprises the MFT system

Edited by Wingrider01

forklift = yank it out and put a new one in

The delay was a lot more then 1 month, more like 5 months - and it was one of the parts replaced on the 2 week stay on my C-Max, along with a lot more of the MFT system. Seems like the only factory installed part of the sync system left on the car after that period was the screen. The PCM error was discussed starting around February or so. I wish they had migrated the old syncmyride.com forums, there was a huge thread on it there, unfortunately they decided not to include community forums on the new site.

There is a thread that was start back in April here called 3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone. They rolled 3.5.1 out in new vehicles built on and after 02/21/2013, so they had an updated pcm back then.3.5.1 was promised before the end of first quarter. it was finally available to early adopters in May. They finally got mine working within acceptable limits by forklifting almost the entire infrastructure that comprises the MFT system

I would still think your in the minority in having your modules replaced.  Mine took a couple hours and was done.

In catch-up mode here - a bit confused.  Scheduled my 3.5.1 update for next week.  Is 3.5.1 necessary for 3.6, or could we skip it and just wait for 3.6?  In other words, does 3.6 make 3.5.1 redundant / unnecessary? 

Ok, lets's see:  Liftgate update, MFT 3.5.1 update, coming soon FE update, and coming sometime after that MFT 3.6 update.  This will certainly let me / us know how well the updating system is going to work, and whether our dealers are up to the challenge. 

Hope it is all 'steps forward', and not a computer (upgrade) nightmare.

Nick

I would still think your in the minority in having your modules replaced.  Mine took a couple hours and was done.

If the syncmyride forums where still up you would see that the "minority" is a lot more then you think. Early builds seem to be the ones that have the most issues, ford changed something on the production line early 2013, my build was July of 2012, it was the 717th c-max to roll off the assemble line and I took delivery of it 10/2012. There are a few people here that have ongoing problems with the MFT system that seem not to be difficult to resolve. 

The update contains:

From: http://fordtechlane.com/ford-releases-more-details-on-myford-touch-v3-6-upgrade/

"Ford will release via their new website support.ford.com a new version of MyFord Touch, v3.6, that promises to 'enhance and improve system performance and phone connectivity.'”

A good FAQ on that page as well.

For a sample letter I found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/teo7phd8l6u77f3/MFT%203.6%20Letter.pdf from http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54152-sync-summer-update-gen2-v36/?p=864260

(Although this is for a Ford Escape (I think), but I don't think that matters.)

Edited by zhackwyatt

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Ford is updating their servers to support the MFT 3.6 update coming out this month.  Maybe 8/5/13 will be the rollout date.

This message is being displayed today when trying to access Sync on the Ford tech service website:

SYNC/MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch programming will be unavailable from Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, through Monday, August 5, 2013 9 AM EST for server maintenance. During this time SYNC upgrades, updates and Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) replacement programming will be unavailable. Starting Monday, August 5, 2013 at 9 AM EST when programming returns, IDS R86.01 or greater will be required to perform any SYNC/MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch programming.

will be interesting, car is scheduled in on Tuesday for 

1. 13C02 - Recall - they finally go the parts for my vin

2. 13B0& - PCM upgrade

3. SSM32308 - for the A/C noise, feel like the car has a staring roll in that Allstate motorcycle commercial - a weed whacker

4. an annoying rattle on the right drivers side door and instrument panel, think the dash was not replaced properly

going to check etis to see if there is any indication of it before I leave for the dealer. they already said they will have it for 2-3 days